Dream Drive versus Dream Drive Pro

As no one has achieved non-geofenced level 5 autonomy yet, no one can say that their hardware will be capable of level 5. Except for Tesla blowing smoke.

Not really, the exact words are the following:

View attachment 714

Additional sensors were not included in the list of difference between Grand Touring and Touring, however, I have reached out to him to confirm the exact wording.
The above wording seems to imply the LiDAR comes pre-installed in the Touring, but deactivated. Upon the $9000 upgrade, the LiDAR can be remotely activated, to work with the Dream Drive Pro software, after OTA upgrade.

Lidar in action - This is the future, enjoy.
And no Tesla EV has LiDAR bc the emperor Musk believe in software more than hardware. Now Tesla just fired FSD employees and close the that FSD office in California.

Too bad for whistle blower.

And no Tesla EV has LiDAR bc the emperor Musk believe in software more than hardware. Now Tesla just fired FSD employees and close the that FSD office in California.
the new models don't even use radar anymore right? i knew tesla's FSD/autopilot was going to be garbage the second they got into their spat with mobileye in like 2016/2017

the new models don't even use radar anymore right? i knew tesla's FSD/autopilot was going to be garbage the second they got into their spat with mobileye in like 2016/2017
Correct - But Tesla's beta vision-only "full self driving" software is actually pretty incredible in operation. It just needs to reduce its failure rate by a factor of about one million - no exaggeration.

Too bad for whistle blower.
Tesla fired an office full of human data-labelers, not software engineers. BTW Tesla is/has actively tested high-definition imaging radar (https://www.sae.org/news/2022/01/imaging-radar-is-the-next-big-thing). I hope the GT's embedded lidar unit is capable enough - specs vary and technical progress in the field is rapid.

Tesla is still struggling to achieve Level-3 autonomous; meanwhile China already has Level-4~Level-5 in production use.

Last edited:
Tesla is still struggling to achieve Level-3 autonomous; meanwhile China already has Level-4~Level-5 in production use.

Tesla's solution works pretty well for me and continues to iterate better. That China video is probably geofenced, on perfectly labeled roads and there's no traffic. Let's add a variable or two and see how well they do in NJ traffic circles. The jury's still out, but I'm a believer that LiDAR is an additional cost and layer of complexity that will be harder to solve than pure vision. If we all can drive with two eyes, I'm not sure why 4+ cameras can't surpass us at some point in the near future.

No one has level 5 and I think realistically to get to that point (autonomous driving in any condition, anywhere) we would be talking timeframes of decades not years. Both due to the technical challenges and the approvals needed.

Mercedes is hoping to have Level 3 on select freeways in CA and NV (speeds restricted to 38mph and below) by end of this year. A friend worked with Mercedes in 2000/2001 on their ADAS tech - that goes to show how long this can take. I think making the jump from a very limited level 3 to level 5 is going to be way harder than going from level 1 to 3 (but may have way more resources thrown at it).

Edit- looks like Mercedes is now targeting 2023 for CA/NV.

No one has level 5 and I think realistically to get to that point (autonomous driving in any condition, anywhere) we would be talking timeframes of decades not years. Both due to the technical challenges and the approvals needed.

Mercedes is hoping to have Level 3 on select freeways in CA and NV (speeds restricted to 38mph and below) by end of this year. A friend worked with Mercedes in 2000/2001 on their ADAS tech - that goes to show how long this can take. I think making the jump from a very limited level 3 to level 5 is going to be way harder than going from level 1 to 3 (but may have way more resources thrown at it).

Edit- looks like Mercedes is now targeting 2023 for CA/NV.

Max speed of 38 mph on a freeway? That will either cause tons of accidents or major backups. While not usually enforced, many states have minimum speeds on highways as well as maximum speeds and there is no way 38 equals a statutory minimum freeway speed.

We are enthusiasts here. Why do we care about Level 3 autonomy?

I thought that most basic safety features like blind spot display, front & rear cross traffic alert, lane departure protection, automatic emergency braking, etc., things that are standard in $30,000 cars, are standard in the base $77,000 Pure.

Is that now not the case?
I have a feeling it’s not the case. Looking to lease a pure but from my understanding dream drive does not have blind spot detection, which is a deal breaker for me. I agree that almost all cars come with those features as standard. Disappointed not included with DreamDrive. Will be in premium but that package not available with current lease offer.

I have a feeling it’s not the case. Looking to lease a pure but from my understanding dream drive does not have blind spot detection, which is a deal breaker for me. I agree that almost all cars come with those features as standard. Disappointed not included with DreamDrive. Will be in premium but that package not available with current lease offer.
Blind spot detection is included in basic Dream Drive. What is not included is the blind spot camera view when the turn signal is activated. Some people like this feature and some people think it does not add anything. The camera view is in Dream Drive Premium.

Blind spot detection is included in basic Dream Drive. What is not included is the blind spot camera view when the turn signal is activated. Some people like this feature and some people think it does not add anything. The camera view is in Dream Drive Premium.
As an addition, if you do not understand what "monitoring" is, some reviews of hyundai products have it.
This video shows it, obviously in the lucid it looks different.

Tesla's solution works pretty well for me and continues to iterate better. That China video is probably geofenced, on perfectly labeled roads and there's no traffic. Let's add a variable or two and see how well they do in NJ traffic circles. The jury's still out, but I'm a believer that LiDAR is an additional cost and layer of complexity that will be harder to solve than pure vision. If we all can drive with two eyes, I'm not sure why 4+ cameras can't surpass us at some point in the near future.
today I was walking along a rural country road that is heavily travelled and well stripped. No shoulder so when walking, one has to step off the road. Usually cars pull to the left and give you space. The sun was in drivers faces and to my back. I could see a Tesla 3 coming in my direction and the woman had both hands up to the rear view mirror. I figured she was semi-hands free driving and stepped off the road. The car and driver acted like they never saw me. Straight as an arrow right down the road. I would have been squashed if I didnt bail. How anyone can hands-free drive is beyond me.

...If we all can drive with two eyes, I'm not sure why 4+ cameras can't surpass us at some point in the near future.
With only cameras, it's difficult to see stationary objects lying on the freeway, for example. It is a shadow? A ladder? A plastic bag that can be driven straight through, or a piece of bent sheet metal?
Also, a person wearing black clothing at night, or a dark-colored disabled vehicle, is difficult to discern by camera alone.
Lidar, radar, and vision work together to cover each others' blind areas.

today I was walking along a rural country road that is heavily travelled and well stripped. No shoulder so when walking, one has to step off the road. Usually cars pull to the left and give you space. The sun was in drivers faces and to my back. I could see a Tesla 3 coming in my direction and the woman had both hands up to the rear view mirror. I figured she was semi-hands free driving and stepped off the road. The car and driver acted like they never saw me. Straight as an arrow right down the road. I would have been squashed if I didnt bail. How anyone can hands-free drive is beyond me.
Most hands-free ADAS cars are geofenced limited its use for highways with less chance for pedestrian sighting.

The only exception is Tesla Autosteer that can generically operate on both highways and city streets.

Lacking geofencing gives drivers a false impression that Tesla Autosteer is safer than others. Tesla Autosteer has been known to steer right into obstacles but those incidents are ignored by most drivers because they may rationalize that if it’s that bad, why can they still use it when pedestrians are around.

I think today's technology can allow crashless ADAS like the ones from Waymo.

I don't think the technology is smart enough for driverless because San Franciscans are complaining that Waymo and Cruise keep freezing up and blocking traffic. To unfreeze them, it takes a human intelligence from a worker to drive or tow it away.

In conclusion, people see that Waymo can safely do driverless so they might also think that they can use Tesla Autosteer with pedestrians around them.

Back