Dream Drive versus Dream Drive Pro

KySerenity

Cars
Model S, Pure Reservation
Now that we know Dream Drive Pro will be a $9,000 option for the Air Touring and Air Pure, a number of obvious questions come to mind. I apologize if these questions have been asked previously.

Can Dream Drive Pro be added after delivery?

The Lucid website does not clearly separate the available features in these two packages.
-Does the standard Air Touring/Pure include all 32 sensors necessary for Dream Drive Pro or does this option require both hardware and software additions?
-What features are included with the standard version of Dream Drive, such as parking assist and lane centering?
-What capabilities are available only through addition of Dream Drive Pro?

Thanks for your response.

Can Dream Drive Pro be added after delivery?
Yes, it's an OTA (over the air) package, meaning it can be installed after purchase.

-What features are included with the standard version of Dream Drive, such as parking assist and lane centering?

DreamDrive
  1. Adaptive Cruise Control w/ Speed Limit Assist
  2. Automatic Emergency Braking
  3. Lane Departure Protection
  4. Front Cross Traffic Protection
  5. Rear Cross Traffic Protection
  6. Traffic Sign Recognition
  7. Traffic Drive-off Alert
Pro will include autonomous features hopefully relating to destination to destination driving.

Yes, it's an OTA (over the air) package, meaning it can be installed after purchase.
It is not clear that the LIDAR sensor is included on all cars. Or at least I have not seen it stated anywhere that cars without Dream Drive Pro will have LIDAR. I would ask the sales advisors.

Yeah, I wouldn’t assume that’s it’s just an OTA update. That’s the Tesla way but not necessarily the Lucid way. I would want it in writing from Lucid that the same ADAS hardware is in all cars.

It is not clear that the LIDAR sensor is included on all cars. Or at least I have not seen it stated anywhere that cars without Dream Drive Pro will have LIDAR. I would ask the sales advisors.
I'm fairly certain the LiDAR is on all cars because it is used on the regular Dream Drive for ACC and collision avoidance.

I'm fairly certain the LiDAR is on all cars because it is used on the regular Dream Drive for ACC and collision avoidance.
As other manufacturers have shown, those features do not require lidar - it can be accomplished solely with radar and cameras.

While Tesla claims that all recent vehicles are built with all necessary hardware for FSD and it's just the software they are charging for, Lucid hasn't laid out anything. I asked the SA a couple of months ago and they said Lucid is still figuring out what is included in DD vs DD Pro. As Tesla started taking features out of AutoPilot and moved them to FSD, the ex-Tesla employees at Lucid might use AutoPilot vs FSD as to how they demarcate what is in each package. I sent an email to my SA asking about this - I'll see what the reply is. Usually takes her a couple of days to respond.

Yeah, I wouldn’t assume that’s it’s just an OTA update. That’s the Tesla way but not necessarily the Lucid way. I would want it in writing from Lucid that the same ADAS hardware is in all cars.

My SA said it will be available after purchase and can be installed without replacing the car.

There is a big difference between that and a OTA update. That still implies that it may require hardware.
Not really, the exact words are the following:

Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 10.00.10 PM.png

Additional sensors were not included in the list of difference between Grand Touring and Touring, however, I have reached out to him to confirm the exact wording.

Not really, the exact words are the following:

View attachment 714

Additional sensors were not included in the list of difference between Grand Touring and Touring, however, I have reached out to him to confirm the exact wording.
Good information. That certainly sounds like something done by OTA. That would be great if the Touring and Pure have all of the ADAS sensors. If so, I think most buyers will wait to see what the Dream Drive Pro software brings before spending money on it.

The Lucid Motors website seems to suggest the full ADAS hardware suite comes on the Touring only when you include DreamDrivePro as an option when you initially order.

On the chart comparing the features across the models, here it what it shows as standard for the Grand Touring ADAS:

Screen Shot 2022-02-05 at 9.04.40 AM.png

And here it what is shows for the Touring ADAS:

Screen Shot 2022-02-05 at 9.04.47 AM.png

Does someone have something from the Lucid site showing the features included in Dream Drive versus Dream Drive Pro? In other words what is included as standard on the Touring, versus what do you get when upgrading to Dream Drive Pro?

Does someone have something from the Lucid site showing the features included in Dream Drive versus Dream Drive Pro? In other words what is included as standard on the Touring, versus what do you get when upgrading to Dream Drive Pro?
Since they’re still working on Dream Editions and Grand Tourings which Pro comes standard I don’t think I’ve seen anywhere that describes what Pro will have. Dream Drive features are listed above.

DreamDrive
  1. Adaptive Cruise Control w/ Speed Limit Assist
  2. Automatic Emergency Braking
  3. Lane Departure Protection
  4. Front Cross Traffic Protection
  5. Rear Cross Traffic Protection
  6. Traffic Sign Recognition
  7. Traffic Drive-off Alert
Pro will include autonomous features hopefully relating to destination to destination driving.
That sounds like Pro currently is vapor ware.

Here is a screenshot from Lucid’s site. It says that the basic Dream Drive comes with some of the advanced safety features. No mention of how the features are split between Dream Drive and Dream Drive Pro. View attachment 727

This is a good example of why I am glad I reserved a Pure (which I don't expect to be ready until 2023 sometime. I would not buy a car where I can't tell what the features are.

That sounds like Pro currently is vapor ware.
I agree. If we assume that Pro provides L3 automation while standard DD provides L2, Rawlinson stated in an interview that L3 capability won't be available for 3 years after the first cars are delivered.

According to a Newsweek article 10/13/21: "A more sophisticated DreamDrive Pro system, included on the Lucid Air Dream Edition and Lucid Air Grand Touring, features more hardware that is ready for additional features delivered through over-the-air updates." From Lucid's media room: "As many as 32 sensors feed data to the DreamDrive system, yet they are so seamlessly integrated into the exterior of the Lucid Air that most won’t notice them at all. Comprising 14 visible-light cameras, five radar units, four surround view cameras, ultrasonic sensors throughout the vehicle exterior, and, for DreamDrive Pro, the first automotive installation of LIDAR in North America." Every article that mentions lidar does so in conjunction with Pro. Lucid also talks about a more robust computing system for the Pro. You'd need it since the lidar probably generates more data than all the other sensors combined. The software then needs to combine all the data from all the sensors to build the current state and compare it to previous states.

The only item that isn't listed that I expect would be only available in Pro is:
Highway Pilot

The difference between Highway Pilot and Highway Assist:
HA combines adaptive cruise control and lane centering to keep the vehicle in the lane and a specified distance from the target vehicle (automated braking and acceleration).
HP does the above but should provide automated lane change to maintain the preset speed (go around slower traffic) along with working with the NAV system to get the car to the intended highway exit.

I think Lucid is focused on highway level automation. They've shied away from street level automation.

I expect DD will have all the ADAS safety features available from other manufacturers.

I agree. If we assume that Pro provides L3 automation while standard DD provides L2, Rawlinson stated in an interview that L3 capability won't be available for 3 years after the first cars are delivered.

According to a Newsweek article 10/13/21: "A more sophisticated DreamDrive Pro system, included on the Lucid Air Dream Edition and Lucid Air Grand Touring, features more hardware that is ready for additional features delivered through over-the-air updates." From Lucid's media room: "As many as 32 sensors feed data to the DreamDrive system, yet they are so seamlessly integrated into the exterior of the Lucid Air that most won’t notice them at all. Comprising 14 visible-light cameras, five radar units, four surround view cameras, ultrasonic sensors throughout the vehicle exterior, and, for DreamDrive Pro, the first automotive installation of LIDAR in North America." Every article that mentions lidar does so in conjunction with Pro. Lucid also talks about a more robust computing system for the Pro. You'd need it since the lidar probably generates more data than all the other sensors combined. The software then needs to combine all the data from all the sensors to build the current state and compare it to previous states.

The only item that isn't listed that I expect would be only available in Pro is:
Highway Pilot

The difference between Highway Pilot and Highway Assist:
HA combines adaptive cruise control and lane centering to keep the vehicle in the lane and a specified distance from the target vehicle (automated braking and acceleration).
HP does the above but should provide automated lane change to maintain the preset speed (go around slower traffic) along with working with the NAV system to get the car to the intended highway exit.

I think Lucid is focused on highway level automation. They've shied away from street level automation.

I expect DD will have all the ADAS safety features available from other manufacturers.
I'm glad they are focusing on highway, because street automation is already a nightmare and I doubt can be achieved anytime soon (within the next 5 years)

Screen Shot 2022-02-05 at 9.29.21 PM.png

Here's a snippet from Lucid's website which indicate that the DreamDrive (which is standard in all three* trims) utilizes all 32 sensors.

*four

Back