Damage to front lower bumper

E11eevans

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid air grand touring
I have 1700 miles on my Lucid. Right after getting it, I had to have a new front trim piece installed because it was getting caught on the frunk. So tonight I was driving home, and the truck in front of me had a tire peel off and I had no choice but to run over it (cars on either side of me). It ripped off the front bottom bumper trim. I have a stealth package. Not sure if I should report this to insurance. Seems basic, but I’m sure it’s worse than it looks. Anyone have this happen?! What a bad night…

Attachments

• IMG_9924.jpeg
    IMG_9924.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 239
  • IMG_9923.jpeg
    IMG_9923.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 252
  • IMG_9922.jpeg
    IMG_9922.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 240
Things just got worse. It’s leaking coolant. I didn’t even know it had coolant. Whatever it is smells like coolant and it’s orange

Things just got worse. It’s leaking coolant. I didn’t even know it had coolant. Whatever it is smells like coolant and it’s orange
Yup, coolant to cool the batteries. The tire likely clipped the coolant hose or dislodged it when it got the bottom trim.

Call your insurance.

Call service ASAP and don’t drive the car.

Did you get the license plate of the truck? Either way, this is almost certainly a no-fault insurance claim.

Sorry you’re having to deal with this.

Thanks. I reported it, at least I can see if it's expensive to fix.

Luckily I was able to avoid hitting the larger part of the tire when it came at me, but I clipped it enough to take the bottom trim.

I drove it for 30 minutes after the tire hit me and only had a low coolant warning, but drove without any issues. When I got home, I was trying to look at what was damaged and moved a hanging cable and coolant started dripping out. Nothing seemed damaged other than that bottom skirting, so I grabbed the key to test the frunk (which was fine). No other scratches. When the car was on, it seemed to be dripping out coolant more.

This morning when I took the key out to grab my insurance card, the car turned on when I had the key close by, large amounts of coolants started pouring out like a waterfall. It was like someone just poured a gallon of coolant on the ground, it was that much.

Right after I bought it the lease price came down a few hundred, and the first time it was in for warranty work I didn't get a loaner. Service in Riviera Beach however was friendly. Hoping I can get a loaner and that they can get me in and out rather quickly. Seems like common damage, so I'm hoping the parts are in stock. I reported it last night and they have been in communication already.

I'll keep everyone updated on how this goes.

One time (pre-Lucid) here on the interstate in Western Washington while in the left lane passing a semi, the semi's wheels picked up something that shot sideways and broke a passenger-side rear window on my car. I pulled in front of the semi with lots of room, hit the hazard lights, slowed and signaled at the next exit. The semi followed me to the nearest safe (big) parking place. He said he saw my damage from the highway, immediately knew what was up, gave me his company's insurance info without me asking, all very easy and cool. His insurance replaced the window.
I can't promise anything will go this well in any case, but sometimes truckers are super-responsible good people. Maybe often, maybe usually. I know if a vehicle of mine lost some piece and damaged anyone else, I would feel very obligated to make them OK.

One time (pre-Lucid) here on the interstate in Western Washington while in the left lane passing a semi, the semi's wheels picked up something that shot sideways and broke a passenger-side rear window on my car. I pulled in front of the semi with lots of room, hit the hazard lights, slowed and signaled at the next exit. The semi followed me to the nearest safe (big) parking place. He said he saw my damage from the highway, immediately knew what was up, gave me his company's insurance info without me asking, all very easy and cool. His insurance replaced the window.
I can't promise anything will go this well in any case, but sometimes truckers are super-responsible good people. Maybe often, maybe usually. I know if a vehicle of mine lost some piece and damaged anyone else, I would feel very obligated to make them OK.
That's awesome, I'm so happy that worked out. It was 3am on the turnpike and I'm a female by myself so I was a bit too scared to pull over. When it happened, the truck was changing lanes and I slowed down and was just focusing on getting home safely. At the time, I didn't even think to get the semi trucks info. Easy to think back about what I should have done.. but I'm pretty obsessed with my car so I was just driving trying to get home, I know the car was damaged, but I had no idea how bad it was.. .I had to drive for 30 minutes before I could look at it. Lucky I did because it didn't start leaking fluid until I started touching it at home.

A few years ago a young girl's (16 y/o) car broke down and she was pulled off on the side of the road at night and a car rear-ended her and killed her. I think about it every time I drive on that road. I was just trying to get home and the car was driving great so I just kept driving, but I slowed down to get home so the truck was way in front of me. Strange the Semi didn't even seem to slow down when the tire peeled but the road was a little bumpy in that spot so maybe he didn't know?

There are SO many variables, your situation sounds very different, totally understand your thinking and priorities, seems like you did exactly the best anyone would do. The only suggestion I can think of is getting a dashcam, so the semi's license plate can lead you and insurance company to a more fair outcome so what wasn't your fault ends up fairly settled. Salute!

There are SO many variables, your situation sounds very different, totally understand your thinking and priorities, seems like you did exactly the best anyone would do. The only suggestion I can think of is getting a dashcam, so the semi's license plate can lead you and insurance company to a more fair outcome so what wasn't your fault ends up fairly settled. Salute!
Agreed. I had the Tesla X which had a USB drive and recorded all of the activity from all cameras. I honestly thought Lucid would have something similar. Seems odd to have to add a dashcam to a luxury electric vehicle with 14 cameras. Hoping an update adds this feature soon. It's a pretty amazing thing to be able to see your cameras and check on your car from the app as well as get a recording of the those cameras when driving or when the sensors are activated. I can't imagine this is a huge thing for a car this advanced.

Also, Lucid service I heard uses Hertz, but they said if they don't have a loaner available, I could get up to $100 a day for a rental. I honestly don't care what I end up with, but will most likely end up in a Model 3. Too bad there are no Porsche Taycan's around to rent.. I love that car but the battery kept me from owning one. Would be fun to have a week or two.

The Miami Service center called today and said they would send a tow truck and that they didn't have a loaner and only offered the reimbursement if it was warranty work. I'm not one to complain, but I'm paying $2,200 a month to lease a car and they won't cover a loaner? Hopefully this is a misunderstanding, I've owned luxury vehicles for the past 20 years and this would be a first.

The Miami Service center called today and said they would send a tow truck and that they didn't have a loaner and only offered the reimbursement if it was warranty work. I'm not one to complain, but I'm paying $2,200 a month to lease a car and they won't cover a loaner? Hopefully this is a misunderstanding, I've owned luxury vehicles for the past 20 years and this would be a first.
They do cover loaners for warranty work. Your insurance may cover for accidents. I’ve never heard of any manufacturer giving a loaner for body work.

They do cover loaners for warranty work. Your insurance may cover for accidents. I’ve never heard of any manufacturer giving a loaner for body work.
I know Porsche and Lexus cover body work loaners. My neighbor got a loaner from Mercedes after her accident as well.

I would agree as to work at an independent body shop. My prior BMWs dealership would cover loaners for any work that it would do whether warranty work or non-warranty work (e.g. if you ripped a belly pan going through a pothole or maintenance).

I know Porsche and Lexus cover body work loaners. My neighbor got a loaner from Mercedes after her accident as well.
Did those OEMs repair the cars at their own facilities? If so, then I'd understand getting a loaner. Lucid has 3rd party repair shops for body work, so there's no reason for them to provide loaners in these situations IMO.

The car is at a Lucid service center, not a 3rd party. No body work, just missing trim piece and coolant pipe fix.

Oh and yes. Porsche covered loaners when the car was at their service shop every time, no matter what the cause of the visit.

The car is at a Lucid service center, not a 3rd party. No body work, just missing trim piece and coolant pipe fix.
Yeah, unfortunately the pool of loaner vehicles is still small, so you won't always get lucky enough to get a loaner. In that case, they used to allow you to rent a car for up to $100/day for reimbursement, but I've heard they have stopped this program. Unfortunate if true.

They told me this after the accident, so I feel this should be honored l. I’m hoping they fix it fast so I don’t need a loaner.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-28 at 5.23.41 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-28 at 5.23.41 PM.png
    200.5 KB · Views: 101
CS always tries their best to get us loaners but sometimes things don't work out.
One time, the loaner was supposed to be ready for me, but the other guy just didn't show up.
My car's been serviced about half a dozen times, the longest stretch being 1 week. I have yet had a loaner available for me.
Since I happen to have other options, I'd just ask for a Lyft.

Back