Damage to Trunk, help!

JT1980

Cars
Lucid Air Touring
Hello All, sadly this past week after just 3 months of owning this beautiful Stealth trimmed Air Touring, I came home from the airport and found this deep gash on the lid of my trunk. I parked in a dark part of the Atlanta airport covered parking and my first though was that some knucklehead hit me somehow and didnt leave a note. But the more I look at the damage it looks like it might be high speed impact from a rock or something. Has anyone ever seen damage to a trunk lid from an upward angle from behind like that? Either way, the lucid certified repair shop I talked to is quoting me 6800$ to fix because they say the whole rear lid (and all the hidden components therein), must also be replaced. I'm definitely sticker shocked, I didnt want to get insurance involved, but at almost 7 grand, I would have no choice. Anyone have any better ideas or know a different body shop in the ATL area that might be able to help?

Attachments

• small 2.jpg
    small 2.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 172
That looks a bit worse than what happened to me. Mine was more head on spoiler DMG but caused by my own issues. I was quoted 2.1k (@ NY lucid certified shop). I haven't fixed it yet and might try to do it myself.

Looking at that I don't know why they have to replace the trunk lid. The doesn't look big enough to be anything more than superficial unless they just don't bother to repair. Anything not aligned?

That to my not professional eyes looks like a sand flat, fill with automotive Bondo and respray kind of job.

Last edited:
Since the metal is torn, I think the shop is correct in wanting to replace the lid. I know that is not the message you want to hear. It definitely sucks to be in that position.

Since the metal is torn, I think the shop is correct in wanting to replace the lid. I know that is not the message you want to hear. It definitely sucks to be in that position.
Isn't our whole trunk plastic?

Isn't our whole trunk plastic?
half aluminum and half plastic. The lower part is the plastic part and the part with the spoiler is the metal bit.

Luggage cart, maybe? Or some kind of sticky-out appendage on someone's vehicle?

Either way - bummer. Sorry this happened to you.

Some people are just a-holes. I’ve resorted to using Lyft/Uber to go to the Airport. For me, no matter how far away, and how far into no man’s land that I try to park, I’ll always come back and find someone parked next to me. Years ago, I had an expedition that was all scratched up from being parked at the airport. I was forced to use a compact spot because there were absolutely no spots available (SNA), I suspect it was the driver next to me even though it was tight, I still left space to get in.

half aluminum and half plastic. The lower part is the plastic part and the part with the spoiler is the metal bit.
Guh. Didn't know that thanks. Explains some of the cost in fix. Also glad I I found out before I tried my hand at it.

Hello All, sadly this past week after just 3 months of owning this beautiful Stealth trimmed Air Touring, I came home from the airport and found this deep gash on the lid of my trunk. I parked in a dark part of the Atlanta airport covered parking and my first though was that some knucklehead hit me somehow and didnt leave a note. But the more I look at the damage it looks like it might be high speed impact from a rock or something. Has anyone ever seen damage to a trunk lid from an upward angle from behind like that? Either way, the lucid certified repair shop I talked to is quoting me 6800$ to fix because they say the whole rear lid (and all the hidden components therein), must also be replaced. I'm definitely sticker shocked, I didnt want to get insurance involved, but at almost 7 grand, I would have no choice. Anyone have any better ideas or know a different body shop in the ATL area that might be able to help?
There shuoldn't be any issue getting insurance involved in a comprehensive claim like this; you were clearly not at fault and not even present in the car. Your premiums shouldn't rise.

Hummm ... wondering if the spoiler from the Sapphire will fit right over that? Lot's of mfgrs. make "appearance packages" (Volvo has "R design" with none of the performance gear of the former R models; Audi has the "S" desigin; BMW has the "M" package...etc.
Lucid have a "Sapphire" appearance pkg?

There shuoldn't be any issue getting insurance involved in a comprehensive claim like this; you were clearly not at fault and not even present in the car. Your premiums shouldn't rise.
I think this depends on your state. When calling up my insurer for a similar claim on a different car, I was told anything over $500 in MD goes into the record and is used when calculating premiums. Although it certainly won't have the same effect as an at fault collision claim.

Back