Crack in Rear Windshield

I am dealing with a crack to my rear windshield, as well. I took delivery of my Lucid Air Touring in late March, 2023 and noticed a creaking/popping/rattle noise from my rear deck area immediately. I first contacted Lucid's customer service team shortly after delivery to bring this issue to Lucid's attention (as well as a trunk misalignment issue - common in early production cars - and they did dispatch a mobile tech to my house in the summer of 2023. The technician confirmed the rear deck noise and advised me that Lucid issued a technical bulletin addressing this matter as well. He suggested a fix to the rear deck as a solution. (I believe it involved bending the rear deck in certain areas and reinstalling it.) That repair attempt was done at my house but the problem was not resolved. He suggested that I should consider waiting until the King of Prussia Service Center (KOP) opened to address the trunk misalignment issue. I let Lucid know that the problem persisted and elected to live with the issue and the trunk misalignment until the KOP opened, which was (at the time) scheduled to open within 90 days.....Those 90 days turned out to be almost 9 months. So, I had to wait until March of 2024 for an appointment in the newly opened KOP service center.

KOP confirmed the rear deck noise and attempted a repair to the parcel shelf w/o success. They then attempted to repair the issue by doing their version of the now well-documented "Bobby" solution referenced in another thread...at least that is what I surmised after talking with their service team. That repair attempt and the realignment of the trunk addressed 80-90% of the noise issue and I was prepared to live with that, to be honest with you. However, over the summer my vehicle (like yours and others in this thread) developed a crack in the rear windshield (see photos annexed hereto) after being left out in the sun. (Typically, my car is never out in the sun for any length of time and spends much of its time in my climate controlled garage. Yes, I tend to "baby" the car.). After seeing the crack and photographing it, I called KOP to have them look at it and the first available appointment that I was offered was about a month later (when I was going to be away on an extended vacation). So, I was not able to get the car to KOP until late last week. I just got a call from KOP and was informed that the car is not warrantied for stress rear windshield cracks beyond the first year and that the cost of the repair could be upwards of $5,500 (before tax, etc.)!! They suggested that I call my insurance carrier. I'm in disbelief and outraged to be quite honest.

I suspect that Lucid's attempts to repair the rear deck creak/rattle and realign my trunk only served to create additional pressure on the rear windshield. There is no evidence of anything having hit the windshield or the car itself. Indeed, the car is in pristine condition and there are no stone, rock or other chips in the PPF or the paint. (The car is fully protected by PPF.) Moreover, even if this repair can be covered by my auto insurance company, I fear that my insurance rates may skyrocket afterwards and/or my insurer (Travelers) may elect not to renew my policy at term end. After speaking with KOP, I placed a call to Lucid's customer assistance line and am hoping that I can reach someone with authority who can address this matter for me and recognize that this should/must be treated as a warranty claim. As a BMW owner for many years, I'm certain that this matter would not have been handled by my local BMW dealership in this manner.

Any advice from other forum members will be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_7735.webp
    IMG_7735.webp
    712.5 KB · Views: 13
I am dealing with a crack to my rear windshield, as well. I took delivery of my Lucid Air Touring in late March, 2023 and noticed a creaking/popping/rattle noise from my rear deck area immediately. I first contacted Lucid's customer service team shortly after delivery to bring this issue to Lucid's attention (as well as a trunk misalignment issue - common in early production cars - and they did dispatch a mobile tech to my house in the summer of 2023. The technician confirmed the rear deck noise and advised me that Lucid issued a technical bulletin addressing this matter as well. He suggested a fix to the rear deck as a solution. (I believe it involved bending the rear deck in certain areas and reinstalling it.) That repair attempt was done at my house but the problem was not resolved. He suggested that I should consider waiting until the King of Prussia Service Center (KOP) opened to address the trunk misalignment issue. I let Lucid know that the problem persisted and elected to live with the issue and the trunk misalignment until the KOP opened, which was (at the time) scheduled to open within 90 days.....Those 90 days turned out to be almost 9 months. So, I had to wait until March of 2024 for an appointment in the newly opened KOP service center.

KOP confirmed the rear deck noise and attempted a repair to the parcel shelf w/o success. They then attempted to repair the issue by doing their version of the now well-documented "Bobby" solution referenced in another thread...at least that is what I surmised after talking with their service team. That repair attempt and the realignment of the trunk addressed 80-90% of the noise issue and I was prepared to live with that, to be honest with you. However, over the summer my vehicle (like yours and others in this thread) developed a crack in the rear windshield (see photos annexed hereto) after being left out in the sun. (Typically, my car is never out in the sun for any length of time and spends much of its time in my climate controlled garage. Yes, I tend to "baby" the car.). After seeing the crack and photographing it, I called KOP to have them look at it and the first available appointment that I was offered was about a month later (when I was going to be away on an extended vacation). So, I was not able to get the car to KOP until late last week. I just got a call from KOP and was informed that the car is not warrantied for stress rear windshield cracks beyond the first year and that the cost of the repair could be upwards of $5,500 (before tax, etc.)!! They suggested that I call my insurance carrier. I'm in disbelief and outraged to be quite honest.

I suspect that Lucid's attempts to repair the rear deck creak/rattle and realign my trunk only served to create additional pressure on the rear windshield. There is no evidence of anything having hit the windshield or the car itself. Indeed, the car is in pristine condition and there are no stone, rock or other chips in the PPF or the paint. (The car is fully protected by PPF.) Moreover, even if this repair can be covered by my auto insurance company, I fear that my insurance rates may skyrocket afterwards and/or my insurer (Travelers) may elect not to renew my policy at term end. After speaking with KOP, I placed a call to Lucid's customer assistance line and am hoping that I can reach someone with authority who can address this matter for me and recognize that this should/must be treated as a warranty claim. As a BMW owner for many years, I'm certain that this matter would not have been handled by my local BMW dealership in this manner.

Any advice from other forum members will be appreciated.
I wanted to let everyone know that the service manager at KOP reached out to me personally to discuss this matter and, after hearing about the history and circumstances, went out of his way to resolve this matter to my complete satisfaction. I could not be more pleased with his personal attention to this matter and his commitment to resolving this fairly and painlessly. The same goes to the rest of the Lucid team at KOP. Thank you all so very much! I remain a VERY happy and committed Lucid owner!

Back