hmp10

Founding Member
Verified Owner
Cars
Model S Plaid, Odyssey
DE Number
Referral Code
033M4EXG
Last evening we got our Dream Edition back from a 2-week visit to the Service Center to have all 14 cameras replaced because 3 had failed and must be replaced as a suite, the windshield replaced due to a detached visor, and the brake light panel at the bottom of the rear window replaced. (Everything was covered by warranty.)

Today we headed to a neighboring town, and the disaster cascade began to unfold:

1. We started a Tidal music selection. Then, when we tried to get Alexa to set a nav destination, the Alexa voice responded without muting the music, so that both were going at once. Every time Alexa started to give a verbal instruction for a turn, it cut off after the first two words and also advanced a Tidal song selection. In making one group of quick turns, Alexa advanced through four music selections, each time saying, "In about . . . " before falling silent. The directions properly displayed on the screens, however.

2. As I was driving up the interstate, I noticed that the battery percentage indicator seemed to be falling faster than usual. I usually put the car in Smooth mode on interstates but had left it in Swift mode this time and thought maybe that was the reason.

3. As we neared our destination about 40 miles away, I noticed a small warning yellow warning triangle on the glass cockpit, but it gave no indication of what the warning was for, and the car seemed to be driving normally (except for the elevated battery consumption). When we hit a red light, I did a quick check of tire pressures to make sure they were all right.

4. As soon as we arrived at our destination, I called Lucid Customer Service to ask what the warning triangle signified. They did not know but said that it might just be an interior light bulb or something minor, since no cause was indicated. I asked if it was safe to drive the car home, and they said yes, but that they would dispatch a Mobile Tech to check the car as soon as they could schedule it.

5. On our return trip home, about 6 miles from the house the car developed a noticeable skip in power delivery, and then regenerative braking disappeared. Within another mile or so, the car threw up a warning that power was being limited but that the car was still drivable. However, speed began to drop, eventually dropping to 2 mph. We were on a 6-lane road in early rush hour in a driving rain with a concrete curb preventing us from getting out of the travel lane. I had no choice but to put on the emergency flashers and hope we lived long enough to get Lucid on the phone. After a few minutes on hold (they still haven't introduced an emergency number that we discussed here some time ago), they told me to try to get the car off the road, and that we could then try a reset. The only way I could keep the car moving so that we could reach a turn-off was to constantly cycle it between Park and Drive. Each time we'd get 4-5 mph for a few feet before the speed dropped again to 1-2 mph.

6. We finally got the car into a convenience store parking lot and tried the reset. When we got back in the car, it was now giving a "low coolant" warning. At the point Lucid told me not to try to move the car. They ordered a Lyft to get us home and ordered a tow truck.

When this car is working properly, it's the most amazing vehicle I've ever owned across every dimension. However, I'm getting really, really, really tired of multi-week stints at Service Centers and numerous Mobile Tech visits.

I don't want to do it, but I'm going to have to start figuring out what other EV I might want at this point. Having owned two Model S's, I know Tesla isn't the answer. And I think the MB EQS is an ungainly blob that reportedly handles in line with its looks. Maybe a BMW I7?

I realize that the two Lucid Dreams we've had were both early production cars and that things are likely very different with more recent builds. But, beyond souring me on the Air, I'm now wondering whether I should continue with plans to order a Gravity right out of the gate.

Last evening we got our Dream Edition back from a 2-week visit to the Service Center to have all 14 cameras replaced because 3 had failed and must be replaced as a suite, the windshield replaced due to a detached visor, and the brake light panel at the bottom of the rear window replaced. (Everything was covered by warranty.)

Today we headed to a neighboring town, and the disaster cascade began to unfold:

1. We started a Tidal music selection. Then, when we tried to get Alexa to set a nav destination, the Alexa voice responded without muting the music, so that both were going at once. Every time Alexa started to give a verbal instruction for a turn, it cut off after the first two words and also advanced a Tidal song selection. In making one group of quick turns, Alexa advanced through four music selections, each time saying, "In about . . . " before falling silent. The directions properly displayed on the screens, however.

2. As I was driving up the interstate, I noticed that the battery percentage indicator seemed to be falling faster than usual. I usually put the car in Smooth mode on interstates but had left it in Swift mode this time and thought maybe that was the reason.

3. As we neared our destination about 40 miles away, I noticed a small warning yellow warning triangle on the glass cockpit, but it gave no indication of what the warning was for, and the car seemed to be driving normally (except for the elevated battery consumption). When we hit a red light, I did a quick check of tire pressures to make sure they were all right.

4. As soon as we arrived at our destination, I called Lucid Customer Service to ask what the warning triangle signified. They did not know but said that it might just be an interior light bulb or something minor, since no cause was indicated. I asked if it was safe to drive the car home, and they said yes, but that they would dispatch a Mobile Tech to check the car as soon as they could schedule it.

5. On our return trip home, about 6 miles from the house the car developed a noticeable skip in power delivery, and then regenerative braking disappeared. Within another mile or so, the car threw up a warning that power was being limited but that the car was still drivable. However, speed began to drop, eventually dropping to 2 mph. We were on a 6-lane road in early rush hour in a driving rain with a concrete curb preventing us from getting out of the travel lane. I had no choice but to put on the emergency flashers and hope we lived long enough to get Lucid on the phone. After a few minutes on hold (they still haven't introduced an emergency number that we discussed here some time ago), they told me to try to get the car off the road, and that we could then try a reset. The only way I could keep the car moving so that we could reach a turn-off was to constantly cycle it between Park and Drive. Each time we'd get 4-5 mph for a few feet before the speed dropped again to 1-2 mph.

6. We finally got the car into a convenience store parking lot and tried the reset. When we got back in the car, it was now giving a "low coolant" warning. At the point Lucid told me not to try to move the car. They ordered a Lyft to get us home and ordered a tow truck.

When this car is working properly, it's the most amazing vehicle I've ever owned across every dimension. However, I'm getting really, really, really tired of multi-week stints at Service Centers and numerous Mobile Tech visits.

I don't want to do it, but I'm going to have to start figuring out what other EV I might want at this point. Having owned two Model S's, I know Tesla isn't the answer. And I think the MB EQS is an ungainly blob that reportedly handles in line with its looks. Maybe a BMW I7?

I realize that the two Lucid Dreams we've had were both early production cars and that things are likely very different with more recent builds. But, beyond souring me on the Air, I'm now wondering whether I should continue with plans to order a Gravity right out of the gate.
Or sell the DE and get a used GT or GT-P?

I suspect the early build is the biggest culprit here; I've had a couple issues (battery swap, a few modules needed to be swapped, etc.) but luckily never had anything happen on the road (aside from the battery thing) and service was exceptional. But I know my friends who have gotten later cars (I.e. lower trims) have had fewer issues.

That said, now that my car's components have been swapped haha, it performs spectacularly.

Being upset and frustrated makes perfect sense though, and this sucks; you've had it worse than (I think) literally anyone else with a Lucid, lol. :(

Last edited:
I’m really sorry to hear this. I completely understand the emotions, as I’ve experienced all of them. I hope Lucid can get all of this worked out for you in a timely manner. If not, the BMW would be a great choice.

Damn dude, if you didn’t have bad luck you’d have none at all. This may be coincidence but Lucid called me this AM and said my car had sent them a diagnostics error remotely indicating a potential fault that could cause a power failure like you’re describing, so they’re bringing a loaner to my job Monday and will replace the HV Battery, WunderBox and EVSE cable. I wonder if your car was vulnerable to the same issue but didn’t alert Lucid? Sorry it happened while you were driving though!

So in one sense, yeah these failures might initially seem concerning, but then my concern is completely alleviated given Lucid called me before I even had a problem and I’m getting a new battery, updated WunderBox after putting 18k miles on the old one. My car is also an early build March 2022 though not a DE. Early adoption of course cannot be headache free, but as Lucid has built out, especially recently now they have loaners, this is basically going to be zero inconvenience or headache for me and I love that they’re being proactive. I gotta say comparing every other EV, well none of them compare well to the full package you get with the Lucid, and I’m also not confident other auto makers would even catch and solve issues as rapidly as Lucid. My friend has an ID4 that’s been a nightmare, it’s had this sudden power cut out thing for months and the door handles randomly pop out while driving, and they’re in a 6 month line just to get that recall done. As far as I can tell Lucid has their stuff together way more than this legacy German brand? And Hyundai/Kia seem to have about 30% of their cars not be able to L2 charge at home and that problem has been happening for months and thus far Hyundais answer has been an OTA that didn’t work, and now their response is to shrug and say don’t L2 charge.

Damn, sounds like the coolant hose thing which should have been a TSB...

This happened to me, and it was a first but the triangle was a camera stopped working (too hot outside)

Once cooled down it fixed itself

called Lucid Customer Service to ask what the warning triangle signified. They did not know but said that it might just be an interior light bulb or something minor, since no cause was indicated.
No software should ever be tossing errors without communication (screen pop-up? event file entry! etc) of the cause (and every point in the code that can raise an error should have a unique cause). This info should be presented to both the owner/user and be available for the support team. The software development team really needs to do a complete code review to eliminate all such cases... I've seen vendors do exactly this on their products and the resulting improvement in both software stability and customer satisfaction (because now when errors occur, they are much easier to diagnose and correct, no matter what the cause).

I'm really sorry its gotten to this point, as I believe you really do love the air.

As others have mentioned, if you can stomach buying a "third times the charm" GT. In addition, there have been recent price decreases. Many times you've mentioned your fondness for the Santa Monica interior, but Santa Cruz is a more contrasting approach to that.

If you really have had it with the Air, I think the best car for your requirements is a i7. Many reviewers and forum members(bimmerpost) praise both the drive as well as the road quality as being better than an S class. I would have advised an A8(you have said that you like audi driving/comfort balance) but the new i7/7 offers much of the same drive with significantly better technology as well as a better trimmed interior.

Did you say you had 2 Dream Edition cars? If so, did both have this service history?

I always knew that I would be a beta tester for Lucid( clean sheet design from a start up company) so I was prepared for some headaches. Even with a battery replacement , a front motor replacement and switching to 19 inch rims after blowouts and bent rims I’m still in love with this car. I can understand though that some of you out there ( hmp10 and others) have had more than their share of bad luck. I think some of you bordering on lemon law problems but still like the car should negotiate with lucid to take your car on a prorated basis for a new build. I’m sure the cars a year and a half down the line have been tweaked with newly redesigned parts and processes. It would be a real good faith move on the part of lucid. My two cents

Sorry to hear this. I know you love your ADE. This EV is just so damn good, but I wouldn’t recommend to anyone as the only car. Have ICE or another EV as back up just in case.

Please keep us posted of follow up diagnosis.

Damn dude, if you didn’t have bad luck you’d have none at all. This may be coincidence but Lucid called me this AM and said my car had sent them a diagnostics error remotely indicating a potential fault that could cause a power failure like you’re describing, so they’re bringing a loaner to my job Monday and will replace the HV Battery, WunderBox and EVSE cable. I wonder if your car was vulnerable to the same issue but didn’t alert Lucid? Sorry it happened while you were driving though!

So in one sense, yeah these failures might initially seem concerning, but then my concern is completely alleviated given Lucid called me before I even had a problem and I’m getting a new battery, updated WunderBox after putting 18k miles on the old one. My car is also an early build March 2022 though not a DE. Early adoption of course cannot be headache free, but as Lucid has built out, especially recently now they have loaners, this is basically going to be zero inconvenience or headache for me and I love that they’re being proactive. I gotta say comparing every other EV, well none of them compare well to the full package you get with the Lucid, and I’m also not confident other auto makers would even catch and solve issues as rapidly as Lucid. My friend has an ID4 that’s been a nightmare, it’s had this sudden power cut out thing for months and the door handles randomly pop out while driving, and they’re in a 6 month line just to get that recall done. As far as I can tell Lucid has their stuff together way more than this legacy German brand? And Hyundai/Kia seem to have about 30% of their cars not be able to L2 charge at home and that problem has been happening for months and thus far Hyundais answer has been an OTA that didn’t work, and now their response is to shrug and say don’t L2 charge.
Terrific solution. My complaint about Lucid has been the repair/loaner experience. I am used to driving a luxury car and expect to simply swap my car for the loaner. Being directed to Enterprise and told to rent any car I want up to $100/day is not comparable to what companies like BMW, MB, Audi offer. But what Lucid did for you is exactly what I would expect.

Kudos to Lucid and I hope that your experience is not the outlier but the new standard!

I bought my wife a 2023 BMW i4M50 last December.

The fit and finish is immaculate and the panels are all perfectly aligned.
Since she has had it, she has not had to bring it in for anything, and the software works flawlessly. It is fast, handles great and she is very happy with it

Since you prefer a larger car, the i7 may be a good alternate choice for you, since in our case BMW does not seem to have the teething problems that the Lucid does.

Check the lemon laws in your state. Depending on when you first started having problems and the time it’s been in service, they may have to buy it back (either at the price you paid or with some depreciation, dependent on state).
I’d recommend looking for a lemon lawyer, as it’s usually free and paid for by the automaker per state laws (in most states).

I can’t remember which state you are in anymore, but if you are in CA I can recommend the one I’m using, he has been great.

For replacement: I’m doing an i5 most likely. I want the 7, but it’s sooooo massive and the exterior is ugly (although interior is amazing)

It breaks my heart to read this.

It breaks my heart to read this.
Same, out of all people I wish @hmp10 would have the least bit of issues with everything he's gone through.

I think contacting Lucid about the issues and expressing concern may help as they know your history with them and may try to offer you some type of solution. But the original DE you had was flawless, so sad to hear about the problems with this one.

I do think though that once Lucid addresses these issues on your car that you'll be free from problems

I bought my wife a 2023 BMW i4M50 last December.

The fit and finish is immaculate and the panels are all perfectly aligned.
Since she has had it, she has not had to bring it in for anything, and the software works flawlessly. It is fast, handles great and she is very happy with it

Since you prefer a larger car, the i7 may be a good alternate choice for you, since in our case BMW does not seem to have the teething problems that the Lucid does.
Likewise our i4 has been flawless over the year we’ve had it. But this is not the thread I should be reading with an impending Lucid delivery. 😟

Back