CarPlay is here! - Megathread

I did! That’s where I discovered it doesn’t do Atmos, but I’m still happy, it’s so much easier to handle work texts/calls now. And when not trying to play Atmos tracks, Apple Music and Tidal sound very good in CarPlay.
Just confirmed with Solaris Dolby ATMOS Theater Test, Apple CarPlay Tidal does not do ATMOS.
What version is the CarPlay feature in? I received 2.0.56 a few minutes ago, and it has no mention of CarPlay -- just some Plug and Charge improvements.
Need 2.0.58

And to someone mentioned EA app is not working in CarPlay. I tested it, it works, but limited features
1B0BA1EB-2C4E-4179-971B-ECDC8635E5C1.jpeg

Your car should be getting an update anytime.
Yeah, customer service just told me the same thing. Sure looks like their patch deployment process isn't completely automated.

Yeah, customer service just told me the same thing. Sure looks like their patch deployment process isn't completely automated.
It is, it's just done in batches and you have to download in order so if you haven't downloaded a prior version the next version won't show up.

2.0.56 is a patch for certain production batch car ONLY.

OTA is automated, they do 100 releases at a time every 30min to 1 hrs or so to balance server load. Imagine there are 10,000 Air OTA, that would be 30 Terabytes, They have to scale this way, and eventually will be Petabytes.

I did! That’s where I discovered it doesn’t do Atmos, but I’m still happy, it’s so much easier to handle work texts/calls now. And when not trying to play Atmos tracks, Apple Music and Tidal sound very good in CarPlay.
Can you tell just by the sound quality? I found an Atmos switch in my music setting and I think Carplay sounds better than Tidal.

Just confirmed with Solaris Dolby ATMOS Theater Test, Apple CarPlay Tidal does not do ATMOS.

Need 2.0.58

And to someone mentioned EA app is not working in CarPlay. I tested it, it works, but limited features
View attachment 10890
This is getting confusing…Is Tidal through CarPlay (which I didn’t try) different than Tidal through Lucid? I thought the sound quality of Apple Music through CarPlay was better than Tidal.

This is getting confusing…Is Tidal through CarPlay (which I didn’t try) different than Tidal through Lucid? I thought the sound quality of Apple Music through CarPlay was better than Tidal.
Absolutely not! CarPlay is just louder with some distortion.

You can use this to test all speakers, play on Native Lucid Tidal and then you from CarPlay Tidal, you will then see clear difference.

I think the question that needs to be answered is whether CarPlay supports atmos. So have you definitely established that Apple Music is playing atmos/spacial music via CarPlay? If so, then people can focus their wrath on apple/tidal for not supporting atmos or cancel their tidal or just add Apple Music. People have established that tidal on CarPlay doesn’t support atmos. Did apple give their product home field advantage?

Woke up to my OTA this morning, Friday, 3/24/23. This one includes CarPlay. When if was finished installing I found it changed my "Stop" setting from Hold to Roll. No big deal, I just put it back. However, no CarPlay to be found. After a quick with Customer Care, it appears that phone pairing can be an issue for CarPlay. As we know pairing is one of those new "conditions" we have to put up with in today's world of technology, and not just in cars. Disconnected my iPhone and Forgot the network, the repaired it as if it was a completely new device. And there was CarPlay. All good. But I do recommend to Lucid that they have a test bed of all settings so they can root out these bugs before released. Have a great weekend all.
I received my update this morning and just tried it out…it seems like the same size window and two of our other cars. It seems to work great for me. I don’t notice any issues and I like the fact that steering wheel button is integrated to change tracks…Siri seemed not to be able to increase the volume…not sure if that’s normal or I am doing for thing wrong. Tried XM radio and map program and they seemed to work fine.

I think the question that needs to be answered is whether CarPlay supports atmos. So have you definitely established that Apple Music is playing atmos/spacial music via CarPlay? If so, then people can focus their wrath on apple/tidal for not supporting atmos or cancel their tidal or just add Apple Music. People have established that tidal on CarPlay doesn’t support atmos. Did apple give their product home field advantage?
I don’t know how to test if Carplay supports Atmos through Apple Music. I just thought it sounded better than the ‘Lucid’ Tidal when I tried playing the same tracks on both formats. I don’t know why anyone would care about playing Tidal through CarPlay when they can just continue to play it through Lucid.

Just want to announce a personal thanks to @Drendino for CarPlay Friday movement. Lucid IT probably got fed up of belittling “compatibility” rants.

Miraculously, I did get my CarPlay OTA 2.0.58 at exact Friday 12:00am CST. Really BIG +1 for Lucid software team. Now guys, please leave CarPlay design criticism out and let the team develop and deliver Android Auto ASAP.

Happy Saturday driving!

Come on man!, atmos schatmos…car play sounds fricking awesome! Stop your nitpicking and enjoy the incredible car already, if your not happy now it’s a personal problem, not Lucid.

Come on man!, atmos schatmos…car play sounds fricking awesome! Stop your nitpicking and enjoy the incredible car already, if your not happy now it’s a personal problem, not Lucid.
You can’t argue with these guys…Trust me, I know; I have an old friend who was the senior engineer for Polk Audio. :)

Carplay is great but it has been in need of an update (overhaul) for a long time… pretty much unchanged since ios 15.4.1. It has not supported dolby atmos since then.
Also there is no home app integration (for those who use it… which is crazy). It’s still worth while currently due to better routing (maps, google maps etc), better phone integration, access to apple music, and text messages, but it needs a major update. Unfortunately we wont see it until September with the release of ios 17. Until then enjoy it as it is and be happy that we actually have a very solid integration in the Lucid. It connects fast and works well for two drivers (in my case) which is more than I can say in our other carplay ecperiences.

Can you tell just by the sound quality? I found an Atmos switch in my music setting and I think Carplay sounds better than Tidal.
Hi
Where is the Atmos switch in Music settings.? I don’t see it.
Thanks

Got the update installed this AM. Here are a few observations/ Issues I had with the experience
  • I had to remove my phone and add it again as the CP option was not showing in my previously BT paired phone. I also removed the mobile key and added it back, which is now no longer working. I'll need to test more.
  • CP interface is pretty small, probably not much bigger than my iPhone Pro Max's screen in landscape. I know that's a limitation on the space available in the right side glass cockpit. Would be good if there was an option to put CP in the pilot panel to get more space. That may be a limitation enforced by Apple due to potential distraction.
  • After I say "Hey Siri" and when Siri speaks, there is buzz/static in the background. I didn't hear this when I played music from SXM or Pandora
  • Because the CP wireless connection creates an AdHoc wifi network between the car and the phone, the phone must use Cellular. I'm at the edge of reception at my house so apps and music would time out on occasion. Will have to test this on the road in better cellular conditions.
  • I had many apps (which honestly I don't even use) that support CP, I went through the list in General->CarPlay to disable those I did not want/use.
  • It would be good to allow grouping of apps (i.e. Music, Podcasts, Navigation, etc) vs, having to scroll to find them. I had to manually arrange the apps in that order so at least it was easier to find them. I whittled the list down to 4 pages! Also moved the Lucid CP app (which just exits back to the Lucid UI) to the end of the list. This is a wasted icon that cannot be removed. The Lucid's HOME button is RIGHT there which makes the CP Lucid button redundant.
  • For those that didn't know, the Lucid Music app will show what is currently playing on CP (similar in other vehicles I've used). This will allow Music metadata display on the center glass cockpit along with independent Lucid app navigation if Lucid updates their UI.
  • I learned that ABRP on CP requires a PAID subscription! Nope .. I do not need yet ANOTHER paid subscription in my life. In the RARE occasions I need the app, I can pick up my phone.
In general, CP is a welcome addition and thanks to Lucid for getting this out there. I'm sure the incessant CP Friday jokes were wearing thin (let the AA Friday taunting begin!). I wonder if Lucid will go all in and implement the next gen CP once available. From the Apple renders it does look pretty awesome!

Maybe they should have just used a rectangular screen and done away with the curved tips at each end.

Curved screen looks good at first but squared off screen would have been more practical for software implementations.

Also, center console is a disappointment. Cup holders too small, wireless charging virtually impossible to use, arm rest too small, little storage under armrest, etc. Just IMHO
I think this is exactly at the point where the top screen is more of a convenience than usability.

Once you can drag carplay down to the lower screen, I think all of these worries will go away and it should fit perfectly.

Just give it time. It's a first step, and it's great that they're listening to us.

CarPlay does not support true Atmos; only the native Tidal car App does.
If you are playing Apple Music or TIDAL Atmos through the phone, it is not true Atmos, regardless of your phone settings.
I am not savvy enough to understand why, but @Bunnylebowski is looking into it .

Last edited:
Back