CarPlay is here! - Megathread

So the rental car Lucid gave me while my car is in the shop has CarPlay, of course. And I was immediately reminded of why I want it in my Lucid.

Three taps, and I was able to share a link to my ETA and current driving location while on my way to pick up my wife from work. There are dozens of these little convenience features that are only possible when the car is fully integrated with your phone.
Don’t worry, only two more days until CarPlay Friday.

Don’t worry, only two more days until CarPlay Friday.
It would be just perfect if Lucid finally releases CarPlay, and my car is in the shop at the time.

It is a wonderful little Hyundai Tucson. In deep red. Not a bad little car. But so hilarious to hand to me for so many reasons.

1) It's red. I don't like red cars. (No offense to the Zenith folks out there. Just not my thing.) And 80% of the rentals I've gotten in my life have been red, for some strange reason.
2) It's a crossover. Unlike most Americans, I hate the high seating position of any form of truck. (I bought the Air for a good reason.)
3) It's called the Tucson. I've only been to Tucson once, but I have a running joke with my wife about how much I hate that town, because we had such a terrible experience there. I'm sure it's actually a lovely place and I'd love it if I went back. But I always joke with her that it's the only place we've ever gone that I would refuse to go back to with her.

The guy at Hertz apologized profusely that they were out of Teslas. And he offered to swap the car out for a Tesla as soon as they get one back in stock, if my service takes more than a few days. I may take him up on it, if only to avoid having to go to a gas station. I can charge a Tesla easily at home.
Uh… they didnt have a better car to give you than a tucson? Like, ANY?

I used to be very pro AA/Carplay but my opinion has drastically changed recently.

Last week we purchased an eqs580 suv which has full wireless AA and Carplay integration through its hyperscreen. In actually fact, it's integration is the best I've seen in any car as it allows BOTH mine (android) and wife's (apple) phone to be connected at the same time although of course only 1 will be the master and display either AA or Carplay but either one can stream and both calls come in through the car. However, I actually don't want to use the AA/Carplay for a few reasons: 1) the mercedes zero layer UI is phenomenal and the map navi looks nicer than the native Google maps but uses Google maps data and routing algo 2) when using AA/Carplay you cannot get high fidelity music to play as it's over Bluetooth meaning that you can't take advantage of the great sound system in the car (both lucid and eqs have Dolby atmos) and the sound quality streaming vs native when using a proper source like Tidal is definitely noticeable! Streaming Tidal on the eqs is exponentially more painful than lucid and it rarely works such that I am only streaming Spotify on the eqs through AA/Carplay. What a shame!

So, I've concluded that it's just certain features of AA and Carplay that I want rather than AA/Carplay themselves. Maps - yes, better reading and responding to text messages and whatsapp - sure, able to see different features/services at once (like maps at top and music at bottom) - yes. Give me those and the rest is gravy.

I wonder if his source is a guy who knows a guy who works at Lucid? Sorry to sound skeptical, but if true, that’s a crappy way to announce the imminent arrival of CarPlay.

I’m calling bullshit on this article, but I guess we will have to wait until next Friday to know for sure. I kind of hope it’s false because I’ll be disappointed if more DD Pro features are a “ways away”.

“Ways away”, “anyways”….uniquely American usages. I’ve lived in America over forty years now. There are still some common Americanisms that I’ve never gotten used to.

I used to be very pro AA/Carplay but my opinion has drastically changed recently.

Last week we purchased an eqs580 suv which has full wireless AA and Carplay integration through its hyperscreen. In actually fact, it's integration is the best I've seen in any car as it allows BOTH mine (android) and wife's (apple) phone to be connected at the same time although of course only 1 will be the master and display either AA or Carplay but either one can stream and both calls come in through the car. However, I actually don't want to use the AA/Carplay for a few reasons: 1) the mercedes zero layer UI is phenomenal and the map navi looks nicer than the native Google maps but uses Google maps data and routing algo 2) when using AA/Carplay you cannot get high fidelity music to play as it's over Bluetooth meaning that you can't take advantage of the great sound system in the car (both lucid and eqs have Dolby atmos) and the sound quality streaming vs native when using a proper source like Tidal is definitely noticeable! Streaming Tidal on the eqs is exponentially more painful than lucid and it rarely works such that I am only streaming Spotify on the eqs through AA/Carplay. What a shame!

So, I've concluded that it's just certain features of AA and Carplay that I want rather than AA/Carplay themselves. Maps - yes, better reading and responding to text messages and whatsapp - sure, able to see different features/services at once (like maps at top and music at bottom) - yes. Give me those and the rest is gravy.
CarPlay does not use a bluetooth for music. It only uses bluetooth for the initial handshake and then creates a wireless ad-hoc connection directly with the car. It is therefore capable of lossless and Atmos music.

Uh… they didnt have a better car to give you than a tucson? Like, ANY?
It’s a very small Hertz location in Boulder. They do have a few Teslas, but they were rented out already. I don’t really care. It’ll probably only be a few days, anyway. And it’s good to drive something that reminds me why I spent so much on the Lucid.

CarPlay does not use a bluetooth for music. It only uses bluetooth for the initial handshake and then creates a wireless ad-hoc connection directly with the car. It is therefore capable of lossless and Atmos music.
beat me to it! @Bobby ! ;)

Last I heard (sales folks) was it was supposed to come in the new year. still waiting..

Picking my Touring up tomorrow. I'll let you know if I have it!

waiting-any-day-now.gif

Actual footage of me waiting for the OTA on a Friday.
1678977267772.gif

Soon...

But your car is compatible...

I have heard with very good authority that Carplay will definitely happen this Friday! The roll out plan will be based on geography rather than VN batch and will be available to all owners on Friday morning.

In celebration, I have arranged to quit work early so no driving to work an no running errands. I am going to play with my GT just for fun because it is such a blast to drive. I will safely exercise Sprint mode and maybe even see the little launch mode Bear come up on the cockpit display. After playing with my GT, I will take a Pure test drive to make sure that it is almost as much fun to drive as a GT. It will be an awesome Carplay Friday.

I encourage everyone to tryout Carplay Friday this week. Your Lucid is ready to go, make it happen. No excuses for delay.

I have heard with very good authority that Carplay will definitely happen this Friday! The roll out plan will be based on geography rather than VN batch and will be available to all owners on Friday morning.

In celebration, I have arranged to quit work early so no driving to work an no running errands. I am going to play with my GT just for fun because it is such a blast to drive. I will safely exercise Sprint mode and maybe even see the little launch mode Bear come up on the cockpit display. After playing with my GT, I will take a Pure test drive to make sure that it is almost as much fun to drive as a GT. It will be an awesome Carplay Friday.

I encourage everyone to tryout Carplay Friday this week. Your Lucid is ready to go, make it happen. No excuses for delay.
Eye sea watt ewe did there...

Good thing it's not a play day for Richard.

Sorry, my humor is questionable, at best.

Damn it, you got me in the first paragraph! I just hope that by April 1st, we have CarPlay so I don’t fall for it again.

Back