CarPlay is here! - Megathread

I'm sure the person who wrote the article had a conversation with whoever dropped off the car that went something like this:

"No CarPlay yet."

"Yeah, that's coming any day now."

"How about more advanced ADAS features?"

"That's probably a bit further off."

I doubt this person works on the software team. I doubt they have any knowledge beyond what they hear at the water cooler. This is not to be taken seriously.

Now, as a journalist, the author of the article should have followed up and asked for clarification with a representative from marketing. But in this day and age of lazy reporting, I doubt that happened.

Okay, Lucid, moment of truth. I just got notice that my Tidal free trial is ending on March 25th. Just sayin'. It sure would be nice to have CarPlay by then so I can dump Tidal and use my phone's library in true Atmos/Spatial Audio.

No pressure or anything.

I must be the only 13 year old whos watched that movie. I always wanted to see what the wagon he should have gotten looked like.
You really do not want to advertise your age in case no one already gave you the same advice.

So has anyone gotten the CarPlay OTA yet?! 😅
Nope… it is not out yet. There will be no chance that you will miss it because this entire forum is going to go crazy when it does come out. First, everybody will be incredibly excited and clamoring to get the update. Then, you’ll see a bunch of threads about how Lucid should’ve done it this way or that way.

Nope… it is not out yet. There will be no chance that you will miss it because this entire forum is going to go crazy when it does come out. First, everybody will be incredibly excited and clamoring to get the update. Then, you’ll see a bunch of threads about how Lucid should’ve done it this way or that way.
I hear you I was mostly kidding, but I do agree with you about the critiquing once it is out, which is kinda disappointing. Just saw your poll, I voted!

Okay, Lucid, moment of truth. I just got notice that my Tidal free trial is ending on March 25th. Just sayin'. It sure would be nice to have CarPlay by then so I can dump Tidal and use my phone's library in true Atmos/Spatial Audio.

No pressure or anything.
You really do not want to advertise your age in case no one already gave you the same advice.
Agree, maybe someone can delete that for him.

No pressure or anything.
I admire your optimism.

I think that day the forum will be "undergoing maintenance"

What if the reason for the delay is because Lucid will be the first company to host Apple’s new CarPlay platform, due later this year? Feel free to throw tomatoes at me…..now

What if the reason for the delay is because Lucid will be the first company to host Apple’s new CarPlay platform, due later this year? Feel free to throw tomatoes at me…..now
I wonder how that would go over with the many other companies who already pledged support for the new CarPlay last year, who were featured on that slide? Would it be worth damaging that relationship a bit to Apple? Who knows?

I do think (hope) Lucid is doing more than just a rectangle on the top screen at this point, given how long we are waiting. My understanding is that all of the "new" features of CarPlay are technically available to be released already as part of iOS 16. And you don't have to do them all at once. Lucid could, for instance, adapt to the shape of the right cockpit panel, and maybe even show some items on the Pilot Panel at the same time. Without having to add support for the gauge cluster, all the widgets, etc.

It is possible Lucid is doing something in between, in other words.

And maybe that has been causing some holdup in the approval process? I have to think Mike Bell has some connections at Apple. He certainly could make a few calls and get the team to help him out with a review. So I don't think it's a simple matter of "Apple just hasn't gotten around to reviewing." It could be they are collaborating on something a bit more elaborate, and it's a matter of both parties being happy enough with the results. Or it could be that Apple wants to show off this integration (if it truly is something special) at June's WWDC presentation?

Man, I hope we're not waiting that long.

I can totally see Lucid wanting this to be a showcase marketing piece, though. And I can also see them wanting to do this "right." With the appropriate level of detail, etc.

If they end up releasing it months from now and it's just a rectangle, even I'm going to be disappointed at this point.

I wonder how that would go over with the many other companies who already pledged support for the new CarPlay last year, who were featured on that slide? Would it be worth damaging that relationship a bit to Apple? Who knows?

I do think (hope) Lucid is doing more than just a rectangle on the top screen at this point, given how long we are waiting. My understanding is that all of the "new" features of CarPlay are technically available to be released already as part of iOS 16. And you don't have to do them all at once. Lucid could, for instance, adapt to the shape of the right cockpit panel, and maybe even show some items on the Pilot Panel at the same time. Without having to add support for the gauge cluster, all the widgets, etc.

It is possible Lucid is doing something in between, in other words.

And maybe that has been causing some holdup in the approval process? I have to think Mike Bell has some connections at Apple. He certainly could make a few calls and get the team to help him out with a review. So I don't think it's a simple matter of "Apple just hasn't gotten around to reviewing." It could be they are collaborating on something a bit more elaborate, and it's a matter of both parties being happy enough with the results. Or it could be that Apple wants to show off this integration (if it truly is something special) at June's WWDC presentation?

Man, I hope we're not waiting that long.

I can totally see Lucid wanting this to be a showcase marketing piece, though. And I can also see them wanting to do this "right." With the appropriate level of detail, etc.

If they end up releasing it months from now and it's just a rectangle, even I'm going to be disappointed at this point.
I agree with you. I think that any of us would take crappy CarPlay today and be happy with it. The longer it takes, the more we will all turn into Roger Ebert with the critical reviews.

Perhaps some of the hold up is the fact that the CarPlay (and AA) UI style will look like crap in a Lucid?

Maybe, just maybe, some of the hold up is Lucid begging or trying to make the interface fit in with the very elegant presentation they have now. Having worked with getting apps (and even CarPlay/AA apps) into the stores I know how hard that can be and I suspect that it will be next to impossible to accomplish what I would hope - which would be an integration of the features without putting that bubble-gum, cartoon presentation in my beautiful Lucid Air!

One can dream... (see what I did there)

Can we not refer to the current version of CarPlay as the “crappy” version? How about 1.0 for current and 2.0 for the revamped integrated UI?! Let’s put some positive vibes out there around this!

Perhaps some of the hold up is the fact that the CarPlay (and AA) UI style will look like crap in a Lucid?

Maybe, just maybe, some of the hold up is Lucid begging or trying to make the interface fit in with the very elegant presentation they have now. Having worked with getting apps (and even CarPlay/AA apps) into the stores I know how hard that can be and I suspect that it will be next to impossible to accomplish what I would hope - which would be an integration of the features without putting that bubble-gum, cartoon presentation in my beautiful Lucid Air!

One can dream... (see what I did there)
I actually like the interface of CarPlay. The colorful icons allow me to quickly select what I want without having to divert my attention from the road. They resemble the icons on my phone so they are familiar. If you don’t like the interface, just don’t use it! I am much more concerned with functionality than appearance since I am pretty much the only person who’s ever in this car.

Back