CarPlay is here! - Megathread

I may well commit heresy here, but now that I have CarPlay back I’m realizing I prefer Lucid’s navigation and also Lucid’s Tidal app. With Lucid navigation you get it on both screens in gorgeous satellite view plus turn by turn on the glass cockpit, and it’s easier to add a new destination while driving. With CarPlay you have to hope Siri understands you and you’re stuck with the tiny cartoon screen. And with the Lucid Tidal app you can view individual songs in your playlist, which isn’t possible in CarPlay. AppleMusic CarPlay app is great at least, so I suppose that’s one benefit.
This CarPlay is on such tiny screen real estate just like our Jeep Wrangler miniature screen. I only bother to use CarPlay on Jeep bc it has no native navigation. Lucid’s navigation has gotten way better over the past 12 months with ability to locate various public EV charging stations networks, step-by-step directions and now expanded information onto 4 screens.
Right Instrument Cluster - immediate 2 steps directions
Left Instrument Cluster - Range estimator
Right Cockpit Screen - 3D navigation view
Pilot Panel - 2D navigation overhead view

I would use CarPlay map ONLY for search validation against native navigation for unknown places, but I would not use it for navigation. I much prefer the native navigation as it utilizes expansive screens real estate. I don’t know any other auto maker offer lucidity of navigation information onto 4 different screens, and Lucid is still improving them constantly.

What CarPlay is good for me is ease of phone call and message sending thru Siri. I could never get Alexa to do that correctly. Granted, Apple makes iPhone and ought to do better at phone related functions than Lucid. In addition, I like my car to read messages from different messenger apps like WhatsApp and Telegram instead of holding and reading phone messages while driving.

I'm betting a dollar that once we Android users get AA, I too will end up preferring Lucids native apps .. Its been very nice to use Lucid maps but the music app is wonky for sure.. let's see..
The only thing that I like better with my phone is Google Maps navigation. While Lucid maps are aesthetically more pleasing, Google does a much better job of route determination both initially and adjusting on the fly when traffic dynamically changes. Much like others have mentioned, I hope Lucid comes up with a 'docking' layout for all the apps where we can choose where we want them displayed.

I may well commit heresy here, but now that I have CarPlay back I’m realizing I prefer Lucid’s navigation and also Lucid’s Tidal app. With Lucid navigation you get it on both screens in gorgeous satellite view plus turn by turn on the glass cockpit, and it’s easier to add a new destination while driving. With CarPlay you have to hope Siri understands you and you’re stuck with the tiny cartoon screen. And with the Lucid Tidal app you can view individual songs in your playlist, which isn’t possible in CarPlay. AppleMusic CarPlay app is great at least, so I suppose that’s one benefit.
Is this heresy? It seems right to me. If you use a navigation app via CarPlay, it’s a single tiny screen. The Lucid navigation app gives you a large Pilot Panel overview plus the turn-by-turn directions right where you need them, in the middle-right Cockpit display. No comparison.

All the more reason the right-hand Cockpit display should remain free for music or whatever other CarPlay apps you need. Since CarPlay lives only in that right-hand cockpit display, I see no reason it should interfere with my preference for leaving the navigation map in the Pilot Panel.

Monday morning...still no update.

Left the car with the detailer who will probably have it all week.

I'll just wait & see & if it still isn't there, I will call and ask.

I pestered customer support by e-mail, and it actually worked. Got my update Saturday late afternoon (California time).

It's true that CarPlay does not make the best use of screen real estate, and I expect that to improve when the next gen CarPlay is introduced this year, with multi-screen support and deeper vehicle integration.

I (and my wife) prefer Apple Maps navigation over everything else, although this is a relatively recent development -- Apple Maps used to be laughably bad. In general, if you're all-in on the Apple ecosystem, as we are, CarPlay is a must-have. I can imagine the appeal isn't as strong if you aren't.

I pestered customer support by e-mail, and it actually worked. Got my update Saturday late afternoon (California time).

It's true that CarPlay does not make the best use of screen real estate, and I expect that to improve when the next gen CarPlay is introduced this year, with multi-screen support and deeper vehicle integration.

I (and my wife) prefer Apple Maps navigation over everything else, although this is a relatively recent development -- Apple Maps used to be laughably bad. In general, if you're all-in on the Apple ecosystem, as we are, CarPlay is a must-have. I can imagine the appeal isn't as strong if you aren't.
It’s nice to have options.

The only thing that I like better with my phone is Google Maps navigation. While Lucid maps are aesthetically more pleasing, Google does a much better job of route determination both initially and adjusting on the fly when traffic dynamically changes. Much like others have mentioned, I hope Lucid comes up with a 'docking' layout for all the apps where we can choose where we want them displayed.
I like Waze a lot. When we drive my wife's Lexus, we use CarPlay and Waze.

Did anyone else notice that the turn signal blind spot cameras don’t display when CarPlay is active? I did a full reset this morning.

Regarding screen utilization, it could be worse, look at the Caddy Escalade implementation:
View attachment 10904
I changed my background to a darker one and then set dark mode to always on. This made the look much better with the rest of the screen.

I just created and uploaded a video that discusses the basics of CarPlay setup and usage. Keep your expectations low, and you will enjoy it.
Really helpful. Thank you.

Has anyone had airplay show up on while using Lucid nav, it shows up and stays for 3-5 scs and then disappears. I was just driving and not touching any lucid control, phone controls or voice commands.

its happened 3-4 times and I’ve only driven for 35 minutes since update

weird and a little annoying

I had a situation where I wasn’t using CarPlay. My phone wasn’t physically connected. I was just driving listening to a Lucid music app. I think it was spotify.

I got a text message while driving. Instead of the Lucid phone app opening, CarPlay opened and spoke the message. It obviously connected wirelessly.

Does this scenario make sense?
Thanks

I had a situation where I wasn’t using CarPlay. My phone wasn’t physically connected. I was just driving listening to a Lucid music app. I think it was spotify.

I got a text message while driving. Instead of the Lucid phone app opening, CarPlay opened and spoke the message. It obviously connected wirelessly.

Thanks
This is normal behavior.

Thanks
If you want to just receive a notification and not have it read your messages aloud, you can change it in settings under the heading “announce messages.” I cover that in my video if you need more information.

Hey Hydbob, Bobby gave you a shout out on his video!!

Back