Brief post-PPF+Service Update

This Stek Film that the guy is offerring already has a Ceramic coating on it. He says warranty is 10 years Material and Labor. He quoted 1700 for the Stek DYNO for all front and mirrors and door handles and door edges for 1800 plus tax. Remaining paint trim and glass ceramic would be another 1400. Wheels additional 450.

7K for fullbody PPF
STEK DynoShield is what OCDetailing uses too. It’s absolutely spectacular. I highly recommend it. A lot depends on the installer, of course. I got full body, plus additional CQuartz Finest Reserve ceramic, and have been absolutely happy.

@martinmeyer @bunnylebowski good point on break-in. Usually I've not found it to materially affect drivers that much (going by measurements) unless they have larger/stiffer surrounds or spiders. I haven't inventoried all the drivers in the car yet but I suspect the lower frequencies may use smaller drivers that have a higher XMax and thus need more time.

STEK DynoShield is what OCDetailing uses too. It’s absolutely spectacular. I highly recommend it. A lot depends on the installer, of course. I got full body, plus additional CQuartz Finest Reserve ceramic, and have been absolutely happy.
Thanks for that update. My funds are directly correlated to Lucid’s stock Price which is in the dumps right now. Also given the rumors of new/better steering wheel and Windshield will most likely flip it and will be booking another AGT this week 😜

@martinmeyer @bunnylebowski good point on break-in. Usually I've not found it to materially affect drivers that much (going by measurements) unless they have larger/stiffer surrounds or spiders. I haven't inventoried all the drivers in the car yet but I suspect the lower frequencies may use smaller drivers that have a higher XMax and thus need more time.
Wow, now we are talking. Another audiophile. I was crazy about that home theater stuff 5-6 years ago. DIRAC LIVE and REW anyone 😃.

Ok so which one should I use for now? I just changed it to the +6 and +2. Should I go back to the +3 and -2 or should we wait for your review? Are you waiting for the OTA 1.2.5?
As someone who has built his own speakers, used REW, UMIK, tone generators to break in speakers, I can tell you that @copper and I are experts at what OUR ears like to hear. You can call yourself an audiophile but if you are depending on instruments to tell you the final settings for your sound, then you are just someone that owns high end equipment. You need to trust that you are an expert at what your ears like to hear. The measurement tools tell us what sound is being generated then what tweaks we might make to achieve a better curve. But ultimately, we let our ears tell us what sounds best. The curve isn't the end goal, it's a reference point from which we start and can go back to if our experiment doesn't yield good results.

The EQ adjustment for jazz is different from EDM which is different from hard rock, etc.. My suggestion is to start at what @copper originally suggested, play something you really like on repeat and start making adjustments one band at a time. When that frequency range sounds good, go to the next. Listen to the result and make adjustments if you want. The ending curve, if measured, may look terrible but if the resulting sound is pleasing to your ears, that's what is important. Your tastes and frequencies that you can hear should dictate the EQ settings. Trust yourself.

As someone who has built his own speakers, used REW, UMIK, tone generators to break in speakers, I can tell you that @copper and I are experts at what OUR ears like to hear. You can call yourself an audiophile but if you are depending on instruments to tell you the final settings for your sound, then you are just someone that owns high end equipment. You need to trust that you are an expert at what your ears like to hear. The measurement tools tell us what sound is being generated then what tweaks we might make to achieve a better curve. But ultimately, we let our ears tell us what sounds best. The curve isn't the end goal, it's a reference point from which we start and can go back to if our experiment doesn't yield good results.

The EQ adjustment for jazz is different from EDM which is different from hard rock, etc.. My suggestion is to start at what @copper originally suggested, play something you really like on repeat and start making adjustments one band at a time. When that frequency range sounds good, go to the next. Listen to the result and make adjustments if you want. The ending curve, if measured, may look terrible but if the resulting sound is pleasing to your ears, that's what is important. Your tastes and frequencies that you can hear should dictate the EQ settings. Trust yourself.
Really love what you’re saying here. So many folks spend the money on high end stuff and end up not really knowing if it works or not - there truly has to be a personal connection to the experience, and - dare I be too Northern California - a person being fully present. I find the same is true with one’s experience with wine. Know the profiles of the classics, then drink what you like. Not that complicated!

I think you are absolutely correct! I am not an audiophile and I just want the system to perform at its best so I am listening to what the "experts" tell me are their settings. However, as you point out, like a fine wine, it is subjective. So I did try moving it up to +6 and +3 and I have to say the bass was just too overpowering for my taste, so I've gone back to +3 and -2 which to my ears sounds just fine.

Amen, brother. I couldn’t have said it better myself.

I used to track and mix for various groups, and I cannot *tell* you the number of times I’ve had people tell me about how a certain frequency wasn’t flat enough, or how various sounds weren’t brought out enough, but when you play it for them side by side they like the “imperfect” mix better.

Ears aren’t perfect, it turns out :)

No, the Merc was AMG coil/spring adaptive dampers lowered 8mm and her Subaru is regular springs, I don’t like air suspension because of the floaty aspect and the hefty expense if it fails. Literally anything makes her throw up. We went to Japan in 2019 and it took her 3 days to get over motion sickness from the flight. The Lucid is the only car she’s been in the back of for any extended period of time and not had a problem.
In my Panamera, a large bump or spinning tire for whatever reason forces the PSM fault. Happens about once a month for me. Air suspension definitely has its drawbacks and I didn’t know that I prefer spring suspension until I drove the GT. The amount of times over the last 5 years that I raised the suspension in my car to go over a speed bump is minimal and not worth the downside of the faults and feeling a bit too much of the road.

Should we perform this exercise while driving, or while stationary in our garage, when ALL audio systems sound perfect to my ears? I’m asking in earnest.

Should we perform this exercise while driving, or while stationary in our garage, when ALL audio systems sound perfect to my ears? I’m asking in earnest.
Well, do you listen to it more while driving or while stationary? :)

...I cannot *tell* you the number of times I’ve had people tell me about how a certain frequency wasn’t flat enough, or how various sounds weren’t brought out enough, but when you play it for them side by side they like the “imperfect” mix better.

Ears aren’t perfect, it turns out :)
Off topic, but the same thing holds true for photography. In post-processing you don't aim for the most optically accurate reproduction of the scene you photographed (like a flat tone curve in audio) - you aim to make it evocative of a mood, or how you want to remember the scene, or just to direct the eye to the subject and add drama.

Off topic, but the same thing holds true for photography. In post-processing you don't aim for the most optically accurate reproduction of the scene you photographed (like a flat tone curve in audio) - you aim to make it evocative of a mood, or how you want to remember the scene, or just to direct the eye to the subject and add drama.
Yup, that’s exactly right. Same for both.

Well put. It’s easy to get into the minutiae but really it’s about enjoying the sound you like. I’m a fanatic for imaging and dynamics with very broad taste in music - classical to acoustic to rock to Japanese hip hop to video game soundtracks. That’s me though and others will have different tastes.

maybe I’m not the only one who’s noticed that the lucid navigation voice sounds a little like GladOs from Portal. 🧐
OmG, I was like her voice sounds familiar but I don't know why

maybe I’m not the only one who’s noticed that the lucid navigation voice sounds a little like GladOs from Portal. 🧐

*GladOs voice*

“This car is a triumph….I’m making a note here, ‘huge success!’l

I was stuck in traffic in the Lucid today and put on Waltz for Debbie by Bill Evans, which is a recording I know very well. I was shocked by how good it sounded. Great soundstage and instrument placement and well-balanced, fast, accurate sound. The Village Vanguard noises came through exactly right. I've never heard anything close in a car audio system.

Back