Best Wall Charger?

unTesla

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid GT, Rivian R1S
I am looking for a wall charger for home. I think I have narrowed it down to Juicebox and Chargepoint. Anyone have a recommendation?

I am looking for a wall charger for home. I think I have narrowed it down to Juicebox and Chargepoint. Anyone have a recommendation?
I have had a Juicebox and used it quite a bit for over three years, first to charge my I Pace, and now the Lucid. It has been flawless since the very beginning. Highly recommended.

I installed the Electrify America Home a few weeks ago- easy to use, decent price and the App has public and home stats, wi-fi enabled and has scheduling with off peak charge hours. It’s a 40 amp vs 50 but gets up to 39 mph charging. Good for my needs and so far very happy with it.

Attachments

• C5D25AD2-EECC-470A-939F-D7DD944F86B3.jpeg
    C5D25AD2-EECC-470A-939F-D7DD944F86B3.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 80
I am also using EA complementary charging and waiting for Lucid Charger.

I was originally doing "use EA and wait for the Lucid charger" but...who actually knows on the Lucid charger availability AND its main benefit--battery backup for the home--won't be available immediately anyway AND with the dedicated 100AMP subpanel the Lucid charger for that feature (IIUC) will cost more to install, if not require a full panel upgrade.
Also, I can be impatient.
So I went ahead and bought the Chargepoint. The speeds are great and I'm quite glad I have a home device, but the Chargepoint has been a little quirky with the Lucid, requiring the occasional reset. Others have reported similar issues. I might be less inclined to buy that for a Lucid.
tl;dr If you're impatient like me, it sounds like the Juicebox is worth considering.

I was originally doing "use EA and wait for the Lucid charger" but...who actually knows on the Lucid charger availability AND its main benefit--battery backup for the home--won't be available immediately anyway AND with the dedicated 100AMP subpanel the Lucid charger for that feature (IIUC) will cost more to install, if not require a full panel upgrade.
Also, I can be impatient.
So I went ahead and bought the Chargepoint. The speeds are great and I'm quite glad I have a home device, but the Chargepoint has been a little quirky with the Lucid, requiring the occasional reset. Others have reported similar issues. I might be less inclined to buy that for a Lucid.
tl;dr If you're impatient like me, it sounds like the Juicebox is worth considering.
Wallbox works great for me.. No problems with it so far.

I have had a ChargePoint Flex for over 4 years and it has performed very well. I do like seeing the history and costs of the charges over time. But I do agree with some of the others, that you might want to wait for the Lucid home charger.

I have the Wallbox in my garage and it has worked very well. The installation earlier this year was straightforward for the electrician and it was easy to use from the first time on. It also allows connection through either Wifi or Bluetooth, which can be advantageous if you do not have reliable Wifi access in your garage. I ordered it from Amazon and had it the next day.

I have a Juicebox that we use to charge our Tesla and Lucid at home. It has been reliable and easy, so would recommend it if you don’t want to wait (or pay) for a Lucid charger.

There are like twelve threads about this on the forum. :) Please do a search and you'll surely find them!

This suggestion from @Tesla2.0 thank you @Tesla2.0 for the all the recommendation and suggestion.
I suggested that because Lucid said supposely their charger coming out towards end of the year. I couldn’t wait that long since I got mine at April, so I got myself a Wallbox EVSE from Amazon. But you just need a 220V electrical outlet like the one for your home dryer to plug in to charge. If you are doing EA charge, try not to charge over 80%, frequent fast charge long term is not healthy to the battery.

I went way down the rabbit hole on chargers. This is what I learned by trial and error, and I am 100% satisfied with this result in light of today's cars and available technology. I love to hear about better solutions if you know any.

I have three chargers in my house. They are all exterior chargers but installed inside. They are a Clipper Creek 100 amp charger, another Clipper Creek 80 amp charger and a Tesla 60 amp unit. I had a 60 amp Chargepoint Home Flex for a while and candidly it did work flawlessly. There is/was a weird glitch with those units. I've seen this mentioned elsewhere and I have zero idea whether ChargePoint has fixed this problem (or disagrees that it is a problem). My electrician pointed out to me that the Home Flex model can be configured for a 60 amp circuit but the power supply terminals are too small to accept the correct gauge wire. That bothered me so much that I removed the charger rather than throttle it back (it is software configurable) to 50 amps. I wanted higher amperage charging capacity (trying to future proof, a bit) and -- no kidding -- the Clipper Creek units are beefy tanks compared to the plasticky Home Flex. If you have or are contemplating a Home Flex, you may want to ask your electrician about this.

The Tesla charger seems to work 100% of the time and the one that we have is factory limited to a 60 amp circuit (48 amp charging). The two Clipper Creek ones work perfectly on a BMW Scooter [also factory limited to 48 amps] and a Mercedes EQS. Interestingly, using any Level 2 charger, the Mercedes charge rate is limited by the car to 9.6 Kw no matter what. I called Benz to confirm this. The 100 amp Clipper Creek unit on my Lucid is super fast -- 18Kw. However, over the course of a full charge, I always get one or two "charging error" shutdowns. The car will restart charging by itself, but only if it is awake or you wake it up. In other words, if I am in my office and I use the app to check the charging state, as soon as the car wakes up it will resume immediately. The 100 amp charger is amazing in that I can go from essentially empty to 100% in roughly 6 hours (I have not timed it or done the math -- but it is really fast for a home setup). I only charged the Lucid a couple of times on the 80 amp Clipper Creek unit and I seem to recall getting the same charging error. I have no idea whether that is related to the car, the chargers, the charger brand ... . It's not a big enough problem to worry about, especially compared to the Clipper Creek's super-fast charging output.

I will say from bitter experience that -- even with a good electrician -- getting enough power to the house to support three fast chargers, installing another panel, balancing house loads and running lots of thick copper wire is not for the faint of heart. For most houses, I bet installing two chargers will be a PITA. Clipper Creek sells a really nice charger that will split the charge between two vehicles simultaneously and automatically divert power to the car that is consuming it (will 100% switch over when one car is done). Of course, that is at the expense of speed, as each car can only draw a maximum of half the charging wattage if both cars are charging. And, of course, the cars have to be next to each other.

I doubt that I would do this again unless I were building a new house or totally renovating an existing house. It is easy to say "learn to share," except my house has two separate garages with an EV in each. Maybe this long and boring narrative contains some information that you can use.

I went way down the rabbit hole on chargers. This is what I learned by trial and error, and I am 100% satisfied with this result in light of today's cars and available technology. I love to hear about better solutions if you know any.

I have three chargers in my house. They are all exterior chargers but installed inside. They are a Clipper Creek 100 amp charger, another Clipper Creek 80 amp charger and a Tesla 60 amp unit. I had a 60 amp Chargepoint Home Flex for a while and candidly it did work flawlessly. There is/was a weird glitch with those units. I've seen this mentioned elsewhere and I have zero idea whether ChargePoint has fixed this problem (or disagrees that it is a problem). My electrician pointed out to me that the Home Flex model can be configured for a 60 amp circuit but the power supply terminals are too small to accept the correct gauge wire. That bothered me so much that I removed the charger rather than throttle it back (it is software configurable) to 50 amps. I wanted higher amperage charging capacity (trying to future proof, a bit) and -- no kidding -- the Clipper Creek units are beefy tanks compared to the plasticky Home Flex. If you have or are contemplating a Home Flex, you may want to ask your electrician about this.

The Tesla charger seems to work 100% of the time and the one that we have is factory limited to a 60 amp circuit (48 amp charging). The two Clipper Creek ones work perfectly on a BMW Scooter [also factory limited to 48 amps] and a Mercedes EQS. Interestingly, using any Level 2 charger, the Mercedes charge rate is limited by the car to 9.6 Kw no matter what. I called Benz to confirm this. The 100 amp Clipper Creek unit on my Lucid is super fast -- 18Kw. However, over the course of a full charge, I always get one or two "charging error" shutdowns. The car will restart charging by itself, but only if it is awake or you wake it up. In other words, if I am in my office and I use the app to check the charging state, as soon as the car wakes up it will resume immediately. The 100 amp charger is amazing in that I can go from essentially empty to 100% in roughly 6 hours (I have not timed it or done the math -- but it is really fast for a home setup). I only charged the Lucid a couple of times on the 80 amp Clipper Creek unit and I seem to recall getting the same charging error. I have no idea whether that is related to the car, the chargers, the charger brand ... . It's not a big enough problem to worry about, especially compared to the Clipper Creek's super-fast charging output.

I will say from bitter experience that -- even with a good electrician -- getting enough power to the house to support three fast chargers, installing another panel, balancing house loads and running lots of thick copper wire is not for the faint of heart. For most houses, I bet installing two chargers will be a PITA. Clipper Creek sells a really nice charger that will split the charge between two vehicles simultaneously and automatically divert power to the car that is consuming it (will 100% switch over when one car is done). Of course, that is at the expense of speed, as each car can only draw a maximum of half the charging wattage if both cars are charging. And, of course, the cars have to be next to each other.

I doubt that I would do this again unless I were building a new house or totally renovating an existing house. It is easy to say "learn to share," except my house has two separate garages with an EV in each. Maybe this long and boring narrative contains some information that you can use.
Agree Clipper Creek is the fastest residential charger on the market. I’ve had no issues with charging errors. It’s built like a tank and no frills. If your home can support the circuit needed, go with it.

As reported in multiple threads, many other good chargers out there.

I suggested that because Lucid said supposely their charger coming out towards end of the year. I couldn’t wait that long since I got mine at April, so I got myself a Wallbox EVSE from Amazon. But you just need a 220V electrical outlet like the one for your home dryer to plug in to charge. If you are doing EA charge, try not to charge over 80%, frequent fast charge long term is not healthy to the battery.
Thank you as always your tips and suggestion! Need to meet you personally!

Thank you as always your tips and suggestion! Need to meet you personally!
we can try weekend. My friend is advising me to take Lucid to show. But I don’t like to mingle with Japanese street racing mod cars.

I doubt that I would do this again unless I were building a new house or totally renovating an existing house. It is easy to say "learn to share," except my house has two separate garages with an EV in each. Maybe this long and boring narrative contains some information that you can use

Actually for charge point and using all 50 A, you need to provide for 1.25x more which is 62.5A. Next standard size bresker up is 70A. The charge point has #6 terminals. #6 and 90 deg C rated #6 has 75 A ampacity. Often breakers in a residental panel can do 75 deg C. The ampacity for #6 75 deg C rated is 65 A and next size up breaker is 70 A. All of the aformentiond is allowed per NEC. Thus, the temperature rating of the wire and temperature rating of the terminal of the breaker and corresponding ampacity respectivly comply with NEC. Im doing 70 A 75 degrees rated breaker and #6 90 degrees C rated wire to get ghe full 50 A out of charge point. I do agree though its bare minimum to only have #6 terminals in charge point and #4 is desired.

I am also using EA complementary charging and waiting for Lucid Charger.
I just preordered Lucid Charger and showing delivery will start Nov 30th so I'll wait till I get the charger. Meantime I am enjoying complementary from EA.

Back