Best 3rd party charger for home installation

Drcheema

Cars
Range Rover
Hi,
I'm a new Lucid Air owner, can some one suggest the best 3rd party charger i should get for my home?
I'm loving the drive and the technology so far but finding a working charging station here in New Jersey has been a nightmare.

I have a Chargepoint Homeflex. It is great. The app works well and tracks your spend by just putting in your electricity provider. I also noticed that chargepoint has a bunch of free level 2 chargers around town. So now I plug in for free everytime I play soccer at the city park. Its like getting 50 free miles each time I play.

Hi,
I'm a new Lucid Air owner, can some one suggest the best 3rd party charger i should get for my home?
I'm loving the drive and the technology so far but finding a working charging station here in New Jersey has been a nightmare.
Go to InsideEVs and search for Tom Moloughney. He does excellent charger reviews. There are a lot of good options. Your local utility may give a rebate on some of them so it is a good idea to check there also.

I have a Chargepoint Homeflex. It is great. The app works well and tracks your spend by just putting in your electricity provider. I also noticed that chargepoint has a bunch of free level 2 chargers around town. So now I plug in for free everytime I play soccer at the city park. Its like getting 50 free miles each time I play.
One more thing.

I had an electrician install a 240 outlet. It was cheaper than direct connection and did not need a permit. The outlet is on a 40 amp circuit which delivers 32 amps to the car. That is more than enough to fully charge the battery overnight.

Last edited:
Go to InsideEVs and search for Tom Moloughney. He does excellent charger reviews. There are a lot of good options. Your local utility may give a rebate on some of them so it is a good idea to check there also.
Thanks!

Thanks for your response!

Here are a couple photos of the chargepoint app for my homeflex. This charger can go as high as 50 amps. But 40 amps is enough.

Attachments

• IMG_6601.png
    IMG_6601.png
    385.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_6600.png
    IMG_6600.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 61
What Amp should i get, 40AMP charger would be good?
It depends mostly on your electrical panel and how much your panel can support. A 40A circuit will let you charge at 32A. A 50A circuit will let you charge at 40A. Most chargers can be set to match the electrical circuit keeping in mind that code limits the maximum current is to 80% for the circuit rating. That is why a 50A circuit will charge at 40A.

A 40A charger on a 50A circuit will easily recharge you battery in 8-10 hours.

Chargepoint Homeflex for almost a year...no issues...love the app...hardwired install.

It depends mostly on your electrical panel and how much your panel can support. A 40A circuit will let you charge at 32A. A 50A circuit will let you charge at 40A. Most chargers can be set to match the electrical circuit keeping in mind that code limits the maximum current is to 80% for the circuit rating. That is why a 50A circuit will charge at 40A.

A 40A charger on a 50A circuit will easily recharge you battery in 8-10 hours.
I live in an apartment building so the electrician is going to connect directly from my external meter, as he did for my neighbor.

I live in an apartment building so the electrician is going to connect directly from my external meter, as he did for my neighbor.
Nice that you can do that. I also have a Chargepoint Flex at home and really like it. There are many good choices though. Home charging really makes EV ownership easy so I hope that you can get this installed soon.

Nice that you can do that. I also have a Chargepoint Flex at home and really like it. There are many good choices though. Home charging really makes EV ownership easy so I hope that you can get this installed soon.
Yes, getting it installed on Thursday so was researching for best chargers or charging setups. I came across various AMPs so want sure which should work best for Lucid.

I have a hardwired Chargepoint Home Flex and a hardwired Lucid Home Charging Station. They're both great - Chargepoint for its light, flexible cable and nice handling, and the Lucid for its charging speed.

If for some reason you must do a 14-50 plug rather than hardwired (hardwired is much safer), please make sure your electrician uses an industrial 14-50 receptacle, not a residential or spec-grade receptacle.

I have a hardwired Chargepoint Home Flex and a hardwired Lucid Home Charging Station. They're both great - Chargepoint for its light, flexible cable and nice handling, and the Lucid for its charging speed.

If for some reason you must do a 14-50 plug rather than hardwired (hardwired is much safer), please make sure your electrician uses an industrial 14-50 receptacle, not a residential or spec-grade receptacle.

Have ChargePoint Flex, too.
No problem for the last year, except that in the last month, once in a while, there's some humming noise coming from it.
Anyone seen or heard this?
I checked the 6-8 connections behind the faceplate and they seem tight. I see white things that flip down to hold the wires. Or are there screws underneath them?

I'm presently in the middle of a major home renovation (construction of a 26x32 garage with vaulted ceilings to accommodate car lifts--effectively making what would be a 2 car garage into a 4 car garage), and an addition. I haven't ordered a Lucid Air yet as I'm waiting on 2024 GT ordering to open up. I did quite a bit of comparison shopping on wall chargers since I wanted to be able to provide my desired charger to the electrician once that work starts in a couple of weeks. While at my main home the charger will be installed in the climate controlled garage, I also have a small cabin in the Poconos with no garage where the charger will be outside . I looked at some YouTube reviews on the "State of Charge" channel. I wanted to be able to have the same charger at both houses, wanted it to have a long cable, and also a cable that would remain flexible in cold weather. I also wanted it be able to charge cars with either the J1772 or NACS plug (for future-proofing since all car manufacturers are moving to NACS in 2025 as well as to be able to offer charging to a Tesla driving guest). As must as I didn't want to buy a product from the company whose name starts with "T", I ended up getting the Tesla Universal Charger. It has a long cable that remains flexible in cold weather, the end of the cord docks into the wall unit when not in use (some of them seem to have no place to put the end of the cord when not in use), and the J1772/NACS adapter is elegantly stored in the dock on the end of the cable (and won't be floating around loose when not in use). Whether it has a J1772 or NACS depends on whether or not you depress a button on the cable end when removing it from the wall box for use. And I figured I'll need the Tesla app anyway in case I end up charging at one of the Tesla Superchargers that are J1772 compatible.

Another vote for ChargePoint home chargers, although I have no experience with others. Had the 40amp version hardwired until the Lucid unit arrived. Agree with Deane on all counts. I don't need to have my car topped-off in two hours but it's really nice knowing you can. Sometimes I forget, but in the morning I can plug into Betty Boop when I walk out for the paper and be good to go after the crossword and coffee.

I'd like to make a point here: I haven't been to a gas station in 14 months.

That said, we are going to have to come up with some sort of social conventional behavior at the public chargers. I'm wondering, next time I'm traveling and need a fill up, I'm wondering if I'm going to arrive at full chargers with people waiting and
become the mayor

someone needs to wander the "waiting" area and find out the order of arrival / charging.
1705416496950.jpeg

Anyone here driving in the '70s ? ...
1705416411691.jpeg
1705416335911.jpeg
1705416212166.jpeg

I’m a big fan of the Wallbox Pulsar Plus. I prefer it to the Chargepoint

Back