Best 3rd party charger for home installation

Hi,
I'm a new Lucid Air owner, can some one suggest the best 3rd party charger i should get for my home?
I'm loving the drive and the technology so far but finding a working charging station here in New Jersey has been a nightmare.
I bought one on Amazon called Emporia for $399. It gets great reviews and I love it. It's able to go up to 48 amps.

Hi,
I'm a new Lucid Air owner, can some one suggest the best 3rd party charger i should get for my home?
I'm loving the drive and the technology so far but finding a working charging station here in New Jersey has been a nightmare.
I have a Clipper Creek (since bought by Enphase). They are tanks. Way overbuilt and never had any problems. You can find videos of people beating them with baseball bats for several minutes. As for what amps, depends on if you have panel limitations. You can go as high as an 100 amp circuit hardwired, which would give you 80 amps. I prefer to have a plug, so if I ever move (or even if I want to lug my charger to a different location) I can unplug it and move it. If you do a plug, you have to do a 50 amp circuit (that's the limit for a plug), which would give you 40 amps. Assuming you have panel headroom to do whatever amperage you want, if you hardwire I would do a 100 amp circuit to future-proof yourself. If you want to go with a plug I would do a 50 amp circuit. I have a 32 amp charger because at the time that was the limit of my car. But if I did it again, I would have just gotten a 40 amp charger to future-proof.

I have a Clipper Creek (since bought by Enphase). They are tanks...
My second EVSE (of four so far) was a Clipper Creek. It's as simple as a charging station can be (no smart features at all), and is extremely robust. However, despite its simplicity, it is not less expensive than newer solutions with more smart features.

It was the last EVSE I bought that wasn't hardwired. At the time the danger of relying on a typical 14-50 receptacle wasn't as well known.

I have a Clipper Creek (since bought by Enphase). They are tanks. Way overbuilt and never had any problems. You can find videos of people beating them with baseball bats for several minutes. As for what amps, depends on if you have panel limitations. You can go as high as an 100 amp circuit hardwired, which would give you 80 amps. I prefer to have a plug, so if I ever move (or even if I want to lug my charger to a different location) I can unplug it and move it. If you do a plug, you have to do a 50 amp circuit (that's the limit for a plug), which would give you 40 amps. Assuming you have panel headroom to do whatever amperage you want, if you hardwire I would do a 100 amp circuit to future-proof yourself. If you want to go with a plug I would do a 50 amp circuit. I have a 32 amp charger because at the time that was the limit of my car. But if I did it again, I would have just gotten a 40 amp charger to future-proof.
I'm getting connection directly from my meter. I'll talk to the electrician coming in tomorrow for the evaluation. Thanks so much for the detailed response.

I bought one on Amazon called Emporia for $399. It gets great reviews and I love it. It's able to go up to 48 amps.
Yeah that one has really good review, i would check if it's on the list of chargers that qualify for rebates.

To be honest, the kit has so few pieces it wasn't really much of a thing. Ikea furniture is harder to assemble than the OpenEVSE. Just a bit of screwing together following diagrams. No soldering involved or anything like that. My electrician hard wired in the 240V/60A cable and it just came on and started working.
Yeah - the thing is, I ended up installing a Wallbox Power Boost (basically just a set of CTs, a meter, and a comms wire), so that I can get full power.

So I have my Lucid EVSE charging my Lucid on a 100amp line. I have the Wallbox Pulsar Plus charging the Ioniq, on a 60amp line, connected to Power Boost. The subpanel is 125A. Too much? Maybe, but passed inspection and permitting because of the Power Boost.

No Lucid? Wallbox pulls the full 48A because it knows the current going through the panel in real-time. If the Lucid is plugged in, the Wallbox maxes out at whatever it can do without overloading the subpanel, thanks to the Power Boost meter.

Overkill? Without question.

So far, I’ve been pretty pleased with my Emporia charger. 48A if hardwired, WiFi connected, interfaces with optional kw use meters and has a 24” J1772 cable which works great reaching both my EVs from a slightly eccentric location. I’ve had no connection issues so far <knocking head>. And the best part…$399.
Have the same one after doing a ton of research (including Tom's youtube reviews which were very thorough) and have been extremely pleased. Hardwired 60 (to draw 48).

If you haven't bought one yet I'd recommend you take a hard look at the LCHCS. It will charge your car faster than the others and it is also "on sale" now from Lucid. Further, if/when the V2H becomes available it is already set up for that improvement. There will be additional software and hardware to enable full V2H (and possibly V2G) but the LCHCS will better position you for it.

Yeah - the thing is, I ended up installing a Wallbox Power Boost (basically just a set of CTs, a meter, and a comms wire), so that I can get full power.

So I have my Lucid EVSE charging my Lucid on a 100amp line. I have the Wallbox Pulsar Plus charging the Ioniq, on a 60amp line, connected to Power Boost. The subpanel is 125A. Too much? Maybe, but passed inspection and permitting because of the Power Boost.

No Lucid? Wallbox pulls the full 48A because it knows the current going through the panel in real-time. If the Lucid is plugged in, the Wallbox maxes out at whatever it can do without overloading the subpanel, thanks to the Power Boost meter.

Overkill? Without questio
If you haven't bought one yet I'd recommend you take a hard look at the LCHCS. It will charge your car faster than the others and it is also "on sale" now from Lucid. Further, if/when the V2H becomes available it is already set up for that improvement. There will be additional software and hardware to enable full V2H (and possibly V2G) but the LCHCS will better position you for it.
I realized that my vehicle came with Lucid's charger, how is your experience with Lucid charger as opposed to Wallbox?

I'm a big fan of the Enphase chargers (used to be Clipper Creek before they got acquired by Enphase a couple of years ago). They are more expensive than the others above but they are built insanely bullet-proof/fire proof. All the certifications you could think of (lots aren't) and the thing will last longer than any car you have. Also by far the best warranty in the industry.

TIL there are home DC charger installations available:

Wait for bidirectional DC charging in a few years.

I'm a big fan of the Enphase chargers (used to be Clipper Creek before they got acquired by Enphase a couple of years ago). They are more expensive than the others above but they are built insanely bullet-proof/fire proof. All the certifications you could think of (lots aren't) and the thing will last longer than any car you have. Also by far the best warranty in the industry.
The new Enphase IQ chargers have a nicer cable and connector compared to years-past Clipper Creek. I'm having one installed in a couple months, hoping to charge using only excess solar production.

Just saw this article which seems relevant. Hope it helps!

There’s an error in this review as it relates to the ChargePoint Home Flex. In the ‘cons’ list it mentions wifi is required for charging. That’s actually not true. The charger will charge fine if your wifi is down. The potential issue is that scheduled charging will be impacted by a loss of wifi.

Chargepoint for 18 months. I get the red light every other time I charge and have to reset the breaker. I also have an Emporia and it has work consistently but the app doesn't connect.

Chargepoint for 18 months. I get the red light every other time I charge and have to reset the breaker. I also have an Emporia and it has work consistently but the app doesn't connect.
I have ChargePoint at home also. I love it. The app is great and gives good info. I do not get the red light often. I have seen it a couple times. Once I tried to start and stop charging via the car and it gave me red light. The other time when it happened. I was able from my couch to start and stop from the Lucid app which fixed the issue. I think it has something to do with the car trying to pull more Kw than the 32 amp setting on the charger can do. You do need to call ChargePoint support and figure out why this is happening.

With our Bolt EUV, my son drives, the ChargePoint charger has never showed the red light.

For those of us with Teslas and Lucids, the Tesla Universal Wall Charger is a great choice. Mine works flawlessly and handles scheduled charging well. I schedule charging from 9:00 to 2:00, to take advantage of excess output from my solar array.

Back