Battery System fault

I experienced "Battery System Fault Vehicle, Vehicle Powering Down in 2 minutes" last Sunday while 200 miles from home with a car full of people, luggage and skis. Odometer 7655 miles. I was on my way to a DC fast charger and preconditioning at the time. Was able to get off the NYS Thruway and to a parking lot. Called Roadside Assistance. Determined it was going to be towed to Tysons Service Center. Was told yesterday after several days of diagnostics that it needs a new HV battery. I have no other information at this time.
Of note -- customer service authorizes $300/day for car/hotel expenses for a few days when event occurs while far from home.
Conveniently, the next morning the tow truck driver coordinated to stop by my house on way to service center to drop off luggage we couldn't fit into our ride home.
The individual causes of the Battery System Fault described in the various instances in this thread may not all be the same.
I was planning a trip from Houston to Dallas next week in my DE-P with 12K miles. I had assumed that the DEs were not having this issue after the initial break-in. Guess that I was wrong and maybe I will take the Navigator instead. :confused:

I was planning a trip from Houston to Dallas next week in my DE-P with 12K miles. I had assumed that the DEs were not having this issue after the initial break-in. Guess that I was wrong and maybe I will take the Navigator instead. :confused:
Just take the DE.

Although rare, the uncertainty about this is unfortunately still lingering.
Really look forward to the day when Battery Fault is no longer in EVs' vocabulary.

Although rare, the uncertainty about this is unfortunately still lingering.
Really look forward to the day when Battery Fault is no longer in EVs' vocabulary.
I would feel so much better if Lucid would give us visibility into what the issues are, the percentage of occurrence by model, and what they are doing to stop it.

I would feel so much better if Lucid would give us visibility into what the issues are, the percentage of occurrence by model, and what they are doing to stop it.
100% with you on this.
Don't know why they don't want to share with us what they know. Could it be that they're worried about some proprietary issues?
I'd be happy to hear even limited statement such as we don't know the cause but working on it.
Nobody likes any uncertainty and being stranded anywhere, home or away, is no fun.

Why issue a statement that says that something is happening but they don't know why, how many cars are at risk, or how to avoid it? Seems like a pointless announcement and it would likely tank their stock. I'm driving to LA and back tomorrow (400ish miles) and the battery fault is low on my list of possible concerns.

Why issue a statement that says that something is happening but they don't know why, how many cars are at risk, or how to avoid it? Seems like a pointless announcement and it would likely tank their stock. I'm driving to LA and back tomorrow (400ish miles) and the battery fault is low on my list of possible concerns.
I am sure that they know a fair amount about the issues and think that it might boost consumer confidence to tell what they know.

I'm neither an automotive expert nor a business consultant. Here's my humble opinion:
The battery fault is a well-known problem among us and likely beyond. The concern and interest regarding the issue are easily detected in the forum.
While I have no doubt that Lucid's been working diligently on this., it's a good customer service to acknowledge the concerns, which to the best of my knowledge, has not taken place.
Obligations to stock owners are always important, but customers' satisfaction is also something that shouldn't be glossed over since if people don't buy the products, the stocks will tank regardless.

I'm neither an automotive expert nor a business consultant. Here's my humble opinion:
The battery fault is a well-known problem among us and likely beyond. The concern and interest regarding the issue are easily detected in the forum.
While I have no doubt that Lucid's been working diligently on this., it's a good customer service to acknowledge the concerns, which to the best of my knowledge, has not taken place.
Obligations to stock owners are always important, but customers' satisfaction is also something that shouldn't be glossed over since if people don't buy the products, the stocks will tank regardless.
What's the point in worrying a bunch of people who will never see this problem by telling them you have no idea whether or not they will experience it, and by the way, you have no way to prevent it from happening.

That's good customer service?

When you sit down at a restaurant, do they say "Look. One or two customers over the past year have reported to us that they had raging diarheaa after eating a meal here. We have no idea what they ate, or whether it was a specific problem on that day. And we can't make any guaranteees our food won't do the same to you. But have a nice meal, anyway."

I love driving my DE and for a long time thought that they might not have any serious drive-line issues, but just don't trust it on long trips anymore. I did when I first got it at the end of 2021 but there have been too many issues for me to completely trust it. Frankly, I trust my ICE cars much more than the Lucid or the AMG EQS.

There have been three Teslas in our family starting with a Model S seven years ago, Model 3 and Model X and none of them left the driver stranded so I just never thought about this occurring when I ordered the Lucid.

Last edited:
What's the point in worrying a bunch of people who will never see this problem by telling them you have no idea whether or not they will experience it, and by the way, you have no way to prevent it from happening.

When you sit down at a restaurant, do they say "Look. One or two customers over the past year have reported to us that they had raging diarheaa after eating a meal here. We have no idea what they ate, or whether it was a specific problem on that day. And we can't make any guaranteees our food won't do the same to you. But have a nice meal, anyway."
Not a good analogy IMHO. Cars shutting down in the middle of busy freeways puts lives in danger. And if Lucid can't figure out what's going on then maybe they should stop shipping cars until they can make them reliable.

Not a good analogy IMHO. Cars shutting down in the middle of busy freeways puts lives in danger. And if Lucid can't figure out what's going on then maybe they should stop shipping cars until they can make them reliable.
Name me a manufacturer that hasn't had a car shutdown on the freeway. I'll wait forever because they don't exist.

Let's say a customer has heard about the diarrheal story and he wants to know if he should have any concern eating here.
Would it be ok for him to ask the restaurant if indeed there's been a problem and if so, what has the restaurant done in response?

Name me a manufacturer that hasn't had a car shutdown on the freeway. I'll wait forever because they don't exist.
I have been driving since 1967 and so far, hasn't happened to me. ICE cars typically will coast so you can move to the shoulder and the emergency flashers will still work.

I have said my piece on this and will probably never trust my $169,000 Lucid.

I have been driving since 1967 and so far, hasn't happened to me. ICE cars typically will coast so you can move to the shoulder and the emergency flashers will still work.

No judgment here, but if I felt the way you do, I woild put my car up for sale.

No judgment here, but if I felt the way you do, I woild put my car up for sale.
No, I like driving it around town and have other cars for long trips.

I mean, has your car ever stranded you? I'm sure you've heard stories of other people's cars stranding them, including the same models you've owned. Why would you trust the Lucid less in the same position?

I mean, has your car ever stranded you? I'm sure you've heard stories of other people's cars stranding them, including the same models you've owned. Why would you trust the Lucid less in the same position?
Nothing you can say will change how I feel about it. Only Lucid can do that.

Back