Any minds changed about getting Air due to this forum?

You are Hilarious! A good sense of humor is definitely useful with this experience, and I suspect most of us have a healthy respect for dropping $150k on any purchase.

@Sam6062 You can test drive a GT in a studio before purchasing if there's one nearby. I'm not familiar if you can test drive your potential car before paying but won't hurt to ask. As far as I've been reading about concerns, Lucid takes them very seriously and working on most of them. Even Tesla had major hiccups. Actually even their new cars aren't problem free. If you still have doubts you can cancel that and reserve another GT before the end of May to give yourself more time.

I don't know your financial situation but regardless of it $149k is a big sum so it's only natural to triple, quadruple doubt about this purchase. I myself have doubted probably at least 10x about getting a Lucid. I'm happy with my 2013 Mazda 3 but I seriously think now is the best time to buy due to price increases and supply chain issues doesn't seem to be improving. I really want the Touring's glass roof but it's really hard to justify the ~$17k difference from the Pure. I would rather upgrade my bathroom or kitchen which I would use more often. But again I'm getting an EV because it is different. The glass roof adds more to that "different" feel. It won't be "just another car" feel.

As far as range goes, Lucid will be your best bet. There are people getting 60% and some up to 85% depending on driving habits, weather, location but then all other EV's will face the same issues when it comes to mileage except those other EV's have estimated range of 250-350mi vs Lucid's 400-500mi. All the new EV's coming out seem to be capping out at around 300-350mi. Reasonably so because of cost and design. My guess is it could take a while before more 400+mi range EV's show up. The upcoming Tesla Roadster will be rated 600+mi for $200k+. Otherwise most car companies are still catching up and want to compete for the general market first before going really luxury. Well there are new luxury EV's but their designs are... idk trying too hard to look futuristic.

Definitely surf the forums to find more information both good and bad haha. Tell fam to not disturb you for 3 hours

@Sam6062 You can test drive a GT in a studio before purchasing if there's one nearby. I'm not familiar if you can test drive your potential car before paying but won't hurt to ask. As far as I've been reading about concerns, Lucid takes them very seriously and working on most of them. Even Tesla had major hiccups. Actually even their new cars aren't problem free. If you still have doubts you can cancel that and reserve another GT before the end of May to give yourself more time.

I don't know your financial situation but regardless of it $149k is a big sum so it's only natural to triple, quadruple doubt about this purchase. I myself have doubted probably at least 10x about getting a Lucid. I'm happy with my 2013 Mazda 3 but I seriously think now is the best time to buy due to price increases and supply chain issues doesn't seem to be improving. I really want the Touring's glass roof but it's really hard to justify the ~$17k difference from the Pure. I would rather upgrade my bathroom or kitchen which I would use more often. But again I'm getting an EV because it is different. The glass roof adds more to that "different" feel. It won't be "just another car" feel.

As far as range goes, Lucid will be your best bet. There are people getting 60% and some up to 85% depending on driving habits, weather, location but then all other EV's will face the same issues when it comes to mileage except those other EV's have estimated range of 250-350mi vs Lucid's 400-500mi. All the new EV's coming out seem to be capping out at around 300-350mi. Reasonably so because of cost and design. My guess is it could take a while before more 400+mi range EV's show up. The upcoming Tesla Roadster will be rated 600+mi for $200k+. Otherwise most car companies are still catching up and want to compete for the general market first before going really luxury. Well there are new luxury EV's but their designs are... idk trying too hard to look futuristic.

Definitely surf the forums to find more information both good and bad haha. Tell fam to not disturb you for 3 hours
Great advice, thank you.

My Air GT is my daily driver. I’m confident in it enough to be taking my wife and 14 month old on a 4 day road trip in a week in this car instead of our Subaru. Just keep the key fob on you, the handles don’t present that slow. If however you get impatient and start pushing on the door handles in 1-2 sec because you got anxious and thought it wasn’t gonna present the handles, then that’s gonna mess the car up, or if you try to manually close the trunk instead of pushing the automatic close button you might have to redo it. I’ve never had any problem with the frunk, and only heard of one user who did and that was not being able to open it, but maybe that got fixed? Basically the car has a learning curve, but I’ve learned its idiosyncrasies and love it. It’s not like it’s an Aston Martin Lagonda, where it looks like a spaceship and has all these inventive things in it and none of it works and you get to drive it for a few days in between months long service trips. The car is worth it and I’m happy.

My Air GT is my daily driver. I’m confident in it enough to be taking my wife and 14 month old on a 4 day road trip in a week in this car instead of our Subaru. Just keep the key fob on you, the handles don’t present that slow. If however you get impatient and start pushing on the door handles in 1-2 sec because you got anxious and thought it wasn’t gonna present the handles, then that’s gonna mess the car up, or if you try to manually close the trunk instead of pushing the automatic close button you might have to redo it. I’ve never had any problem with the frunk, and only heard of one user who did and that was not being able to open it, but maybe that got fixed? Basically the car has a learning curve, but I’ve learned its idiosyncrasies and love it. It’s not like it’s an Aston Martin Lagonda, where it looks like a spaceship and has all these inventive things in it and none of it works and you get to drive it for a few days in between months long service trips. The car is worth it and I’m happy.
Thank you for your detailed reply. Was hoping there is at least one person here who uses it every day. Have you at least gotten 400 Miles range out of the battery?

Thank you for your detailed reply. Was hoping there is at least one person here who uses it every day. Have you at least gotten 400 Miles range out of the battery?
Well I haven’t done a proper range test and I tend to charge when I get down to about 150 estimated range just to be safe, but based on what the car estimates on my driving habits I’m good for 460 miles on 19” tires. We’ve had several cold days which biases it lower some. Most days if you’re following the 20%-80% rule (charge to 80% when you’re down to 20%) to protect the battery, you’re good for at least 300 miles.

So are we saying the 230 miles rated model 3 only hs an effective range of 100-150 miles?

So are we saying the 230 miles rated model 3 only hs an effective range of 100-150 miles?
Any EV you'll keep for the long term is best as a daily driver between 20-80%, or 60% of its rated battery capacity. Actual range drops in colder weather, rain, etc. If you have a daily commute of X miles, you'd want to buy an EV with an EPA rated range of about 2.5x-3x that distance to allow peace of mind, room for errands, etc. For long trips, the first leg is often 100% down to 15%, or 85% of the battery capacity. Intermediate legs are fastest if done as about 60-75% down to 15%, using roughly half of the battery capacity and corresponding portion of maximum range.

My "confirmed" Air would be our fifth EV since 2011. I'm a hopeless enthusiast of driving electric. It's so much better than gas but does require a little more effort on long road trips.

Pretty much. Though I would estimate more like 150 to 180 miles, “real world”. That’s a sobering reality every new EV owner faces, once they stop listening to EEEEHHHLOHHHN(!).

The only brands that consistently outdo their stated EPA rated ranges are Mercedes Benz, Porsche and Ford.

Last edited:
My "EPA 310 mile" Model 3 will do about 240 miles on the freeway, 100% to zero. It's a rough, noisy 240 miles.

I very much appreciate four standard features in my Taycan 4 Cross Turismo - the 800v architecture, the two-speed transmission, the blended friction/regen braking system, and the air suspension. The Taycan's clunky UI and glitchy software had me looking for an alternative after a few months of ownership. I placed a reservation for an Air Pure, but after lurking on this forum for a couple of months I am reconsidering that decision. The reported software issues on the forum have me doubting if the Lucid will represent an improvement over the Taycan. I also made an assumption that the Lucid Air would have air suspension, which I learned was not the case after joining the forum. Ride quality differences between conventional and air suspension are not an issue. But I need more than the 11 degree approach angle to comfortably enter/exit my drive. The final nail in the coffin is Lucid's lack of presence in Pennsylvania and lack of trade-in option. Missing out on the Sales Tax offset at a PA sales center is another negative factor.

Any EV you'll keep for the long term is best as a daily driver between 20-80%, or 60% of its rated battery capacity. Actual range drops in colder weather, rain, etc. If you have a daily commute of X miles, you'd want to buy an EV with an EPA rated range of about 2.5x-3x that distance to allow peace of mind, room for errands, etc. For long trips, the first leg is often 100% down to 15%, or 85% of the battery capacity. Intermediate legs are fastest if done as about 60-75% down to 15%, using roughly half of the battery capacity and corresponding portion of maximum range.

My "confirmed" Air would be our fifth EV since 2011. I'm a hopeless enthusiast of driving electric. It's so much better than gas but does require a little more effort on long road trips.
Thank you for these tips. They are very helpful for a first time buyer of an EV.

I very much appreciate four standard features in my Taycan 4 Cross Turismo - the 800v architecture, the two-speed transmission, the blended friction/regen braking system, and the air suspension. The Taycan's clunky UI and glitchy software had me looking for an alternative after a few months of ownership. I placed a reservation for an Air Pure, but after lurking on this forum for a couple of months I am reconsidering that decision. The reported software issues on the forum have me doubting if the Lucid will represent an improvement over the Taycan. I also made an assumption that the Lucid Air would have air suspension, which I learned was not the case after joining the forum. Ride quality differences between conventional and air suspension are not an issue. But I need more than the 11 degree approach angle to comfortably enter/exit my drive. The final nail in the coffin is Lucid's lack of presence in Pennsylvania and lack of trade-in option. Missing out on the Sales Tax offset at a PA sales center is another negative factor.
Very valid points indeed. Thanks. Yeah not having an air suspension was an interesting decision on a 150-190K Luxury Auto. Maybe it helps performance. I still hear its luxury and ride matches the EQS. All reviews including the one by Forbes are extremely favorable.

What exactly is so great about the 2 speed transmission on an EV, if you don't mind me asking? It seems counter to what EVs are about?

What exactly is so great about the 2 speed transmission on an EV, if you don't mind me asking? It seems counter to what EVs are about?
Its really nice in a sports car. You can "feel" when you floor it in a different manner than when flooring the Lucid.

The Taycan and the Lucid drive incredibly differently. The Taycan "feels" like a sportscar.

As far as software: They are both buggy as hell. However, Lucid has been improving it, whereas Porsche's answer is "buy a new car". Yes, Porsche advertises OTA for the Taycan, but the latest software is only for 2022 vehicles produced mid-cycle or later. That is not OTA, that is not understanding OTA. (Plus, the only major software update my 2020 has gotten is one that took a week to perform at a dealer, definitely not OTA).

Lucid was delivering near weekly/biweekly updates. They have slowed down, my last one was about 7 weeks ago at this point. I am expecting the slowdown is due to a major overhaul/improvement coming out shortly.

Well I haven’t done a proper range test and I tend to charge when I get down to about 150 estimated range just to be safe, but based on what the car estimates on my driving habits I’m good for 460 miles on 19” tires. We’ve had several cold days which biases it lower some. Most days if you’re following the 20%-80% rule (charge to 80% when you’re down to 20%) to protect the battery, you’re good for at least 300 miles.
I am also getting the one with 19” tires. Thanks for that charging rule info. Wonder if that is so they dont have to warranty any batteries 😜

I am also getting the one with 19” tires. Thanks for that charging rule info. Wonder if that is so they dont have to warranty any batteries 😜
The warranty protects down to 70% new capacity, but most EV batteries never degrade that much over 8 year/100k miles so I suspect the only batteries they’ll ever need to replace would be due to failure, not constant DC fast charging from 0-100%.

The warranty protects down to 70% new capacity, but most EV batteries never degrade that much over 8 year/100k miles so I suspect the only batteries they’ll ever need to replace would be due to failure, not constant DC fast charging from 0-100%.
When buying the stock I read where they think they could then take the batteries that are at 70% and use them in their Battery Storage Units. Hopefully that also means there would be a trade in value after 8 years. Which means the Car could hold a reasonable trade in or second hand Sale value.

Very valid points indeed. Thanks. Yeah not having an air suspension was an interesting decision on a 150-190K Luxury Auto. Maybe it helps performance. I still hear its luxury and ride matches the EQS. All reviews including the one by Forbes are extremely favorable.
The EQS might be a better ride but zero reviewers have said it’s a better drive. Once you get the high regen one pedal driving nailed though, stops and starts become barely perceptible. It would definitely pass the coffee cup test they did in the Korean film Parasite in the back of the Mercedes. If your definition of luxury is “bling”, the EQS crushes the Lucid, but everything in the Lucid fits my taste, high quality but not ostentatious. The one thing in the Lucid I would use the adjective “piece of shit” for is the plastic housings that hold the carpet to the door sill at the bottoms of the footwells, that’s some WalMart grade materials there, but otherwise love the rest of it, the Alpaca wool, Alcantara, etc. The leather is really nice. Not Mercedes Designo Napa leather quality but certainly very good.

The EQS might be a better ride but zero reviewers have said it’s a better drive. Once you get the high regen one pedal driving nailed though, stops and starts become barely perceptible. It would definitely pass the coffee cup test they did in the Korean film Parasite in the back of the Mercedes. If your definition of luxury is “bling”, the EQS crushes the Lucid, but everything in the Lucid fits my taste, high quality but not ostentatious. The one thing in the Lucid I would use the adjective “piece of shit” for is the plastic housings that hold the carpet to the door sill at the bottoms of the footwells, that’s some WalMart grade materials there, but otherwise love the rest of it, the Alpaca wool, Alcantara, etc. The leather is really nice. Not Mercedes Designo Napa leather quality but certainly very good.
Ha Ha I remember Peter Saying they cannot source Carpet hence this quality And why they could not deliver 24K. I saw an EQS Up Close and really did not like the shape. I am not so sure about the front of the Lucid either but I like it better than the EQS. I Would suspect the heavier weight and damping in the EQS is the reason for the ride. I am not buying it to sit in the back seat and not really a S-Class guy. Interesting then that despite all that the EQS is cheaper. I thought the Lucid leather seats were the bomb but OK, nice is nice. I like that the back seat folds In the Lucid. Maybe Lucid will offer to redo the Carpet. When did you get your GT. Not sure if the Carpet has improved.

Back