Any minds changed about getting Air due to this forum?

Now I'm curious, what EV is beautiful?
I think that the Tesla Model S is a very nice looking car and the only Tesla that is. The F150 Lightning, the Lotus SUV and the Hummers. IMHO.

Reactions: DBV
There's a wide gulf between "perfect"--which I doubt anyone expects out of the box--and the condition Lucid is delivering to many of the people posting here.

On the range issue alone people are getting between 50% and 90% of EPA...that's huge and shouldn't be passed of as differing driving habits and conditions.

I personally don't care what % of EPA is true---I just want to know with certainty exactly what range I'll get, and that below that number Lucid will acknowledge they have a problem to fix---quickly
If you want a perfect car then wait 3 years. It’s unrealistic to think that from a brand new car company that it was going to be perfect, no matter what Peter said. Speak to early Tesla owners and see what they had to say about where the company started to where it is today.

There is a reason for the term “early adopter” and you have to take the good with the bad.

I still can’t get over how fast this car is. I was going 60 stuck behind some slow people, and finally had the chance to get past them so I punched it in Swift mode, and suddenly I was at 100mph and had to back off. 60-100 was definitely less than 3 seconds, I’m just astonished, and it felt in complete control. As long as the thing doesn’t legit break down where I’m stuck on the side of the road, I’ll put up with the other flaws for the insane Darth Vader Tie Fighter personality of it alone. The car is asking you to join the dark side of the force and I’m inclined to accept that invitation.
@bunnylebowski well said. My only beef two weeks in, and I have the Dream-Range, is that it’s TOO FAST…and this car is replacing my 991 Turbo S. I’m a unabashed LUCID fan-boy. The car is amazing and the team has been really good to me so far.

Speak to early Tesla owners and see what they had to say about where the company started to where it is today.

We traded a 2015 Model S P90D for a Model S Plaid last August. We actually had more initial quality problems with the Plaid than with the 2015 Model S . . . and both had more problems than our Lucid Air Dream #154. The Plaid arrived with:

- driver's outside rearview mirror so loose in the housing that it had to be replaced lest it fall off
- steering yoke scuffing against the steering column
- rubber cover missing from one of the metal pins in trunk lid
- misaligned chrome trim on the dashboard
- protective film ahead of rear wheel wells noticeably yellow against the white car
- front passenger door needing a hard slam to latch
- faulty driver airbag on the yoke that had to be replaced.

I can only hope Lucid doesn't make the kind of "progress" in component and assembly quality that Tesla has made over the past seven years.

I’ve been reading through these forums and it hasn’t been enough to convince me not to go with a Lucid Touring…

It has made aware that Lucid isn’t perfect and I’m definitely I’m definitely thinking twice…

I guess if a new company launches and everything is perfect then it launched too late. At least for investors.

I know of at least 1 person who was explicitly told when ordering the EQS580 that it would be at list price because of the buyer being such a "long-term, valuable customer and relationship." When the car came in, the salesperson broke his word flat-out and said $25K over list. The answer was an easy "no thanks to the car, and goodbye to you for breaking your word." They called him back 3 weeks later to say he could have the car at list. No chance of that happening, nor buying a car from that salesperson ever again. And he bought a different brand / model from another dealer and is very happy.
I was at a cars and coffee event this Sunday ( several people including the organizers are breathlessly waiting to see the Lucid, an acquaintance with a new GT3 couldn’t walk away fast enough) and one interesting comment was two members really liked the direct from the dealer model. They were tired of the endless games and the creative ways that traditional dealers took to screw you over and take your money. This is becoming more problematic as demand outstrips supply for both new and used cars. In other words you find out who the true opportunistic scumbags are. Both said the normal dealer model was going the way of the dinosaur and couldn’t come fast enough. These were died in wool 40 year car guys

That is the tradeoff. Legacy manufacturers like MB, BMW and Audi have long history making software work (mostly). But, as MiniputerLM said, the tradeoff is more range and faster charging. This is why I reserved a Pure. I figure that by the time they get to me, they will have figured it all out or I will look elsewhere.
Same here. This board has validated in some way my decision to reserve a Pure. Hopefully by then a lot of the early issues will be ironed out. Also there is always some degree of early-adopter risk. With a Pure I have less money in it. I have decided I will not confirm if there is not a nearby service center by the time my turn comes around.

As of today I figure there are perhaps 600-700 Airs in customers hands (and some of those would have been employee deliveries). Given how complex the car is I’m not surprised there are issues surfacing in the real world that probably did not show up in internal testing in the early examples.

There's a wide gulf between "perfect"--which I doubt anyone expects out of the box--and the condition Lucid is delivering to many of the people posting here.

On the range issue alone people are getting between 50% and 90% of EPA...that's huge and shouldn't be passed of as differing driving habits and conditions.

I personally don't care what % of EPA is true---I just want to know with certainty exactly what range I'll get, and that below that number Lucid will acknowledge they have a problem to fix---quickly
There have been 2 "real" world range tests done at 70mph that have hit 500 miles and 505 miles so it can be achieved under the right conditions. There are a a-lot of factors that will effect range.

• Wheel size
  • Weather
  • Is regen set to high or low
  • Do people floor it when taking off from lights etc.
  • What drive mode is the car in
  • hypermiling
  • Etc.

The car is quick and is vey easy to take off from the lights quickly or get around people on the freeway quickly without really thinking about what you're doing. I'm in LA where it seems the normal speed on the freeway can be anything from 70mph to 85mph which the higher the speed the more impact on range. Every little tap on the accelerator that causes a nice burst of energy then you will suffer the consequences in range so we have to accept that people's driving habits do come into play here.

This forum has just a snippet of Lucid owners so if you're taking what's in here as gospel and thinking it applies to every car then I will say it again, don't be an early adopter. I haven't seen any reports of bumpers falling off in the rain or glass roofs flying off the car on a freeway 😂. Every new model has issues.....

I was just charging mine and was parked next to a Polestar 2 owner who was freaking out over my car. He just got rid of his 2014 Tesla Model S p85D because he’s had so many issues with their service. One loaner they gave him had a beer can in the glovebox, and when he got his back from having the heating system serviced (it had failed, not good in New England weather!) they hadn’t put the glove box back in and left it on the floor. I’ll take whatever inadequacies Lucid has any day over the week over that mess. And the guy next to me at the charger was super happy with his Polestar and 220 miles of range.

I was just charging mine and was parked next to a Polestar 2 owner who was freaking out over my car. He just got rid of his 2014 Tesla Model S p85D because he’s had so many issues with their service. One loaner they gave him had a beer can in the glovebox, and when he got his back from having the heating system serviced (it had failed, not good in New England weather!) they hadn’t put the glove box back in and left it on the floor. I’ll take whatever inadequacies Lucid has any day over the week over that mess. And the guy next to me at the charger was super happy with his Polestar and 220 miles of range.
Tesla has made almost 2,000,000 cars so they must do some things right, I just don't want one. When I compare my DE, its good and bad, it's to Mercedes, BMW, Audi and other high-end cars. I would hope that Lucid's benchmark for almost everything is not just Tesla and to that end they have a way to go, IMHO, but can get there.

By the time my Pure Reservation is delivered sometime in 2023, I'm sure most of the initial bugs/quality issues will be worked out. Thanks to the early adopters working with Lucid to clear them up!
That's pretty much what I'm thinking :D

However, Lucid was quick to get on every single issue, and now I'm driving a car that is virtually problem-free on the hardware side. The software still falls short of modern standards, but it seems to be improving with OTA updates and even occasionally without updates.

We are also on our second Tesla Model S (a 2021 Plaid), and I can assure you that we have had more quality issues from this company that has been making cars for a decade than we have had with the Lucid.
That's great to hear. From what I've seen on this forum, Lucid is doing better than I would have expected in terms of quality and addressing issues at this stage.

That's too bad about the Model S, but I'm not surprised. I don't think Tesla even aspires to provide great build quality. Fortunately Lucid does.

2 things I could never go back to: an ICE and the dealership model. Whatever I buy from this point on needs to involve neither.

That leaves very few choices. I know now what the Tesla experience is, and while I'm not completely opposed to buying one again, I'm not at all thrilled about the prospect. Lucid still seems to me the best of the remaining options.

This forum has given me a lot of great info already about early adopter experiences, and it's tempered my expectations a bit, which is a good thing. But I keep feeling the joy come off the page from DE and AGT owners, even through the complaints, and I'm convinced I'll share in that early next year with my Touring. I'll be right here, complaining and expressing my joy simultaneously with the rest of you all.

2 things I could never go back to: an ICE and the dealership model. Whatever I buy from this point on needs to involve neither.

That leaves very few choices. I know now what the Tesla experience is, and while I'm not completely opposed to buying one again, I'm not at all thrilled about the prospect. Lucid still seems to me the best of the remaining options.

This forum has given me a lot of great info already about early adopter experiences, and it's tempered my expectations a bit, which is a good thing. But I keep feeling the joy come off the page from DE and AGT owners, even through the complaints, and I'm convinced I'll share in that early next year with my Touring. I'll be right here, complaining and expressing my joy simultaneously with the rest of you all.

Apparently you have had bad experience at car dealerships. My last couple of experiences have been positive on the purchase side and very positive on the service side. In my mind, the dealership model is an advantage at the service end: I live less than 2 miles from the BMW dealership and they always have a loaner for me. While there is a Lucid service center in my city, it is much farther away and the loaner policy is at best opaque. If my Lucid goes in for service, I don't want to be referred to Hertz or Enterprise or given a Corolla.

Ditto. Well said. I don’t even know when I’ll get my car, since I have no confidence at all in my SA’s assurance that ordering this month, I could expect delivery in ”two to four months”. Ain’t gonna happen. But I don’t care, I’m still excited about the idea of taking ownership of a Lucid, and I know I’ll be thrilled when I finally, finally get it.

Apparently you have had bad experience at car dealerships. My last couple of experiences have been positive on the purchase side and very positive on the service side. In my mind, the dealership model is an advantage at the service end: I live less than 2 miles from the BMW dealership and they always have a loaner for me. While there is a Lucid service center in my city, it is much farther away and the loaner policy is at best opaque. If my Lucid goes in for service, I don't want to be referred to Hertz or Enterprise or given a Corolla.

I wouldn’t say I’ve had “bad” experiences at car dealerships, instead I’ve had tedious, time wasting and sometimes contentious ones, where we are all in there playing the game of the salesman, closer and the gal in F&I working me over, and I working them over right back. Four to six hours and half a day wasted later, I go home in a brand new car.

A pointless exercise, when instead I could just go to Lucid, or Tesla, and order right off there website in a matter of minutes.

As for after sales service, I never had any need of them after the warranty period, I retained an indepent ICE mechanic who I trusted implicitly.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t say I’ve had “bad” experiences at car dealerships, instead I’ve had tedious, time wasting and sometimes contentious ones, where we are all in there playing the game of the salesman, closer and the gal in F&I working me over, and I working them over right back. Four to six hours and half a day wasted later, I go home in a brand new car.

A pointless exercise when instead, I could just go to Lucid, or Tesla, and order right off there website in a matter of minutes.

As for after sales service, I never had any need of them after the warranty period, I retained an indepent ICE mechanic who I trusted implicitly.
Exactly. The last ICE car I bought (from Audi) I just got so fed up with the whole process. I ended up sending an email to three dealerships in the area. "This is the car I want. This color, these features. This is the price I'm paying. One of you will give me that price. First one gets the easiest sale you ever had."

Five minutes later, I got a reply from one of them. Went in and signed the papers the next day.

And even that was still a big pain in the butt compared to the Tesla experience.

Now service with Tesla: Yeah, that's total crap. I have high hopes Lucid can do better there. But Audi's service wasn't exactly better (in SF at the time). They tried to talk me into thousands of dollars in repairs I didn't need. They initially didn't' give me a loaner. Then I went to a different dealership for service, told the service manager about my experience, and THEY finally took care of me properly after that. But I had to drive 40 minutes out of my way every time just to get treated properly. So I have no faith in dealerships when it comes to service, either.

That's great to hear. From what I've seen on this forum, Lucid is doing better than I would have expected in terms of quality and addressing issues at this stage.

That's too bad about the Model S, but I'm not surprised. I don't think Tesla even aspires to provide great build quality. Fortunately Lucid does.
I my purchased my first Model S LR back in late Nov last year. Absolutely love the car and have 0 quality issues. I was expecting the worst based on some of the Tesla forums. Would purchase another Tesla in a second. The only think that can be improved is the suspension. It is no where near as good as my past BMW’s.

Also - love the yoke and capacitive controls too. :)

Considering getting a Lucid Air Touring edition, but not sure as live in Cleveland, Ohio and no service close to us if needed.

A pointless exercise, when instead I could just go to Lucid, or Tesla, and order right off there website in a matter of minutes.

My solution to that is I tell them sales person that I want their best offer and I either take it or walk out and I mean it. Then I make a similar speech to the finance gal. That has worked for me.

Back