Any Lucid owners who are previously Tesla owners? Curious about your thoughts on your experience and if you prefer Lucid

One problem that has not been addressed by Tesla is that dreaded “shudder” coming from the front wheels under hard accelaration. This defect makes itself known, either at the beginning when the car is brand new, or several thousand miles later.”

The only “fix” Tesla have been able to come up with is to replace both half shafts at the front wheels. You can minimise the onset of the “shudder” if you only accelarate with the air suspension set to “LOW”. Basically, Tesla under-designed the front suspension system. The front wheel components were not designed to absorb the tremendous amount of torque that’s generated when the car launches from a standing start.

My X lasted about 25,000 miles before the onset of the “shudder”. I ignored the problem for another 20,000. Finally, the car shuddered under any accelaration, hard or gentle, and I finally took it in to get the half-shafts replaced. By then I was bumping up against the bumper-to-bumper warranty. I had the replacment done just in time. Since the replacement, my X STILL shudders under hard accelaration, even at the air suspension set to LOW. I just ignore it these days, knowing there’s no real fix, and knowing that the replacement will be out of pocket.

Not exactly a defect - the car is LOUD. There’s no doubt about it, the Model X is loud. I didn’t realise how much I’d come to just accept all that wind and road noise, especially the road noise, until I started driving my Lucid. Even our oldest Tesla, a Model S75D is quieter than our Model X.

After four years, our Model X has developed various and sundry squeaks and rattles of indeterminate origin. Driving over anything but the smoothest of glass smooth surfaces, our Model X sets up a cacophony of squeaks and rattles that I just do my best to ignore. I did take it in to Tesla service once, and they isolated some rattles coming from the rear hatch area. They replaced four clips and charged me $160. $40 for each clip. Eventually, the rattle from the rear hatch area came back.

Perhaps the best reasons I have for keeping our Model X is the FUSC - Free Unlimited Supercharging - a benefit that is no longer offered; and my parents, both in their 80s and 90s find it a lot easier to climb into and clamber out of the Model X than the Model S or my Air GT. It also has six seats, and though it’s rare that we have all six seats filled, it’s a really nice thing to have.

If I had it to do over again, I wouldn’t buy a Model X. I would hold out for another crossover EV that seats six or eight instead.

ADDENDUM - I just re-read your post. The FSD in Tesla, even in its current very primitive state, is both remarkable and terrifying. There’s a lot that Tesla’s FSD can do, and can do better than Lucid. For starters, Tesla’s auto lane changing is completely automated, and in my estimation, works perfectly every time. Lucid’s auto lane change is clunky.

There’s also a lot it cannot do, at least not in a manner that doesn’t leave other drivers wondering what the Hell you’re doing. There’s also the the continuing, vexing matter of “phantom braking”, something that curiously, my Model X does with far more regularity than our Model S, which does NOT have FSD. I don’t know if FSD or the lack thereof has any bearing on this ongoing problem. I’ve sent a “bug report” via the scroll wheel and voice activation, every time I get a phantom braking event, but they still happen.

Don’t be under any misapprehension however - Tesla’s FSD is not. What Tesla’s FSD is in reality, is a very sophisticated suite of driver assistance features. But “Full Self Driving” definitely it is not.
Ok, after reading this I am officially dropping the Model X from consideration! The front end shuttering is crazy and there is no chance I can live with excessive sound after living with my AGT, which is a peaceful place to be. This is coming from a guy who used to only drive German V8s for most of my adult life. If I were you, I would also keep it for the free charging.

I don’t understand how Tesla hasn’t had every car recalled over the phantom breaking. Seems like everyone gets it.

Last edited:
Ok, after reading this I am officially dropping the Model X from consideration! The front end shuttering is crazy and there is no chance I can live with excessive sound after living with my AGT, which is a peaceful place to be. This is coming from a guy who used to only drive German V8s for most of my adult life. If I were you, I would also keep it for the free charging.

I don’t understand how Tesla hasn’t had every car recalled over the phantom breaking. Seems like everyone gets it.
Well, phantom breaking can be fixed with software, unless it has to do with no lidar.

Still liking it, are you? I would like to see a death match smack down thread between you and @hydbob over the R1S.
I really love it! And my wife loves it even more. It’s quite comfortable with lots of practicality. Of course not as luxurious of creature comfort like AGT massage seats, ride comfort, or sports car handling, but it is way better than Wrangler and in terms of road noise insulation and smoother hitting bumps. And definitely good sound system base and better interior than F250. We are still keeping the existing R1S order (maybe another 2 years wait?) and anticipate for Gravity reveal. My wife suggested if we do get another SUV, Polestar 2 may be the replacement.

And we prefer R1S over rented 2018 Model X 75D. That was first EV impressed me more than Model-S, mainly because of that falcon wings doors.

Well, phantom breaking can be fixed with software, unless it has to do with no lidar.
It could probably be fixed, but first Tesla would have to admit it happens. They have never stated anything even suggesting they are even aware of it.

I really love it! And my wife loves it even more. It’s quite comfortable with lots of practicality. Of course not as luxurious of creature comfort like AGT massage seats, ride comfort, or sports car handling, but it is way better than Wrangler and in terms of road noise insulation and smoother hitting bumps. And definitely good sound system base and better interior than F250. We are still keeping the existing R1S order (maybe another 2 years wait?) and anticipate for Gravity reveal. My wife suggested if we do get another SUV, Polestar 2 may be the replacement.

And we prefer R1S over rented 2018 Model X 75D. That was first EV impressed me more than Model-S, mainly because of that falcon wings doors.
Since that’s the one that got away (at least until 2024), I was sort of hoping that you would tell me about all of the cabin noise, poor suspension and lackluster technology. Just kidding, glad you are enjoying it.

What’s the over/under on Gravity release price? We should have a pool.

Wow, that’s quite a list of defects! I’m thinking about picking up a used Model X. Is there a golden year, where the build quality was better? I don’t feel like dealing with a lot of problems. My AGT leaves me wanting more driver’s assistance and I’m thinking Tesla can scratch that itch. At the rate we are going, it will be years before Lucid catches Tesla on tech.
Has anyone actually really observed all of the sensors and cameras in the car for the Lucid?
Tesla does have many more cameras, and that also helps for recording problems (sentry mode, etc..) if something happened.

But I was pondering earlier this morning on how much the Lucid actually 'sees' with its sensors, for example, the LIDAR that's on the front, it is great for sensing what's in front and a vast majority of the sensors are disabled as of right now, but sometimes I get really scared when approaching stopped vehicles and end up pushing the brake or canceling dreamdrive when coming to that stop.
And also when someone is signaling to cut me off, it doesn't notice anything until they're half way in my lane and then slams the brake or gives me a warning. Something I definitely see coming long before he comes in front of me, so I wonder how much the sensors really see to the side compared to something like Tesla's system right now.

I'm not knocking on Lucid, everything is just in the beginning stages, and I am impressed with how well Dreamdrive works.
This is simply a question I've been thinking about, and I wish I had more answers on exactly what the Lucid is seeing, but the display only shows cars in front, so I have no idea but to guess

I think the falcon doors are the reason I’m even interested. My inner 10 year old digs them. Lol
My neighbor has a Model X and it's been in the shop more times than I can count in the last few years, he actually bought a Porsche Panamera because he got sick of waiting to have something to drive lol.
But he told me the Falcon Doors are the #1 reason it was in the shop

Has anyone actually really observed all of the sensors and cameras in the car for the Lucid?
Tesla does have many more cameras, and that also helps for recording problems (sentry mode, etc..) if something happened.

But I was pondering earlier this morning on how much the Lucid actually 'sees' with its sensors, for example, the LIDAR that's on the front, it is great for sensing what's in front and a vast majority of the sensors are disabled as of right now, but sometimes I get really scared when approaching stopped vehicles and end up pushing the brake or canceling dreamdrive when coming to that stop.
And also when someone is signaling to cut me off, it doesn't notice anything until they're half way in my lane and then slams the brake or gives me a warning. Something I definitely see coming long before he comes in front of me, so I wonder how much the sensors really see to the side compared to something like Tesla's system right now.

I'm not knocking on Lucid, everything is just in the beginning stages, and I am impressed with how well Dreamdrive works.
This is simply a question I've been thinking about, and I wish I had more answers on exactly what the Lucid is seeing, but the display only shows cars in front, so I have no idea but to guess
That’s a good question about what the cameras see. I guess we will find out when we start seeing features such as lane change assist. I do think that DD is learning because now when I pass trucks on the left, I don’t feel that the car hugs the right side if the lane. That used to terrify me, but then one day I just realized that it fixed itself. The limited things that it does, it does very well. Yes, changing lanes could be better, but I assume that is coming with lane change assist.

Tesla has less cameras than Lucid. There are 8 cameras on a model S. I've counted 11 on my Lucid but I found reference to 14 so not sure how many there are exactly . Tesla has more developed software for sentry mode and the like but Lucid will get there over time.

Tesla has less cameras than Lucid. There are 8 cameras on a model S. I've counted 11 on my Lucid but I found reference to 14 so not sure how many there are exactly . Tesla has more developed software for sentry mode and the like but Lucid will get there over time.

My understanding of the reason Tesla does not have a birds-eye view feature is that it doesn't have enough cameras positioned property for its computer to generate the simulated image. Our Model S Plaid also doesn't produce a front camera display when pulling into a parking space or garage, nor does it have a cross-traffic warning. It's a much trickier car to take in or out of a parking spot than the Air.

I'm actually rather unimpressed with what Tesla does with cameras compared to what our Lucid does. I find it hard to believe that Tesla is on the verge of "full self driving" using cameras alone when it can't yet even produce the camera displays Lucid already does for things as mundane as parking.

I'm actually rather unimpressed with what Tesla does with cameras compared to what our Lucid does. I find it hard to believe that Tesla is on the verge of "full self driving" using cameras alone when it can't yet even produce the camera displays Lucid already does for things as mundane as parking.
Older Teslas need to update their cameras. They have blind spot cannot pick up incoming perpendicular traffic.

My understanding of the reason Tesla does not have a birds-eye view feature is that it doesn't have enough cameras positioned property for its computer to generate the simulated image. Our Model S Plaid also doesn't produce a front camera display when pulling into a parking space or garage, nor does it have a cross-traffic warning. It's a much trickier car to take in or out of a parking spot than the Air.
While Lucid wins in high resolution definition of front/back and stitched bird-eye view. Rivian is also my liking for multi-angle views on top of bird-eye view that can be toggled on/off to side views to avoid curb rash or tight spot. And when you change gear from forward to back, both side cameras changes directions. And theses cameras are even operational at high speed like 60+ mph, mainly bc they have less dense data to process than Lucid’s higher def. But it is still impressive for a first year truck/SUV that Tesla owners always wanted but never got it.

BF1307CB-F13A-4A12-A063-6DBE8935FC11.jpeg
E3D44944-179A-4D95-8F66-ED84E0D460DC.jpeg

So, @Volund, Lucid, Rivian and Hummer definitely have more cameras than Tesla that I know for sure.

Still liking it, are you? I would like to see a death match smack down thread between you and @hydbob over the R1S.
Lol no smackdown, just doesn't fit the needs I have for my family 😁. The Air doesn't really either, but I can sacrifice 1 car slot, just not 2.

Lol no smackdown, just doesn't fit the needs I have for my family 😁. The Air doesn't really either, but I can sacrifice 1 car slot, just not 2.

Hey, did you do a test drive of the R1S? I just poked around a little on the Rivian website. It seems the only way to even see an R1S is to visit their showroom in Venice CA.

Also @Tesla2.0 you are the only person who I know has a r1s,
Have you ever ridden the model x? How would you compare cabin noise and ride?

Hey, did you do a test drive of the R1S? I just poked around a little on the Rivian website. It seems the only way to even see an R1S is to visit their showroom in Venice CA.
Yes, out of their El Segundo service center.

I had a Model S which I sold when I got my Lucid AGT, I had the model S since 2012, did not have any significant mechanical issues with the car but the wind noise was horrific and no matter what they did to try to lessen it nothing worked. I wanted a car with newer safety features compared to the 2012 Model S and I would not consider buying another Tesla because of Elon. The ride in the Lucid is much better, the interior is significantly better and the cabin is much quieter. My wife still has her Model X, when I ride in the passenger seat I think I am in a bumper car, the ride is terrible, extremely bumpy even on smooth roads. The wind noise is even worse than the Model S. In my opinion the only thing that Tesla has going for it is their supercharger network which hands down is the best. I personally would never buy another Tesla, my wife prefers to keep her Model X because we have free supercharging for life, similar to my Model S but at some point it is going to have to go.
I agree with your comments having owned all three vehicles you mentioned. The model x did improve with the 2022 refresh but still lacks refinement for the price . Supercharger network is vastly superior to electrify america.

Back