Any Lucid owners who are previously Tesla owners? Curious about your thoughts on your experience and if you prefer Lucid

Definitely the Lucid for driving. With the smaller battery pack, the Lucid rear seat is every bit as accommodating as the S Class. Even with the larger battery pack, the only rear seat issue is the high knee position, but it doesn't seem to bother our passengers, all of whom find the rear seat comfortable and roomy.

As I posted a while back, the Lucid's cabin really is a bit longer than that of an S Class or BMW 7 Series, as Lucid advertises. This yields benefits for both front and back seat passengers when compared to the Tesla Model S. If I put the driver seat of our Tesla Model S Plaid to my preferred driving position and recline configuration and do the same thing with our Lucid Air, there is 9.5 inches more fore-aft legroom in the back seat of the Lucid. In terms of car interior metrics, that is a huge difference and instantly noticeable to any rear seat passenger. And when you consider that all the exterior dimensions of the Tesla and the Lucid are within fractions of an inch of each other, it is beyond amazing what Lucid has done with interior packaging.
I really didnt care about the knee height when I went to the studio. 9.5 is honestly ridiculous.

I have said this in other posts (you can get to the details by looking them up), my 2020 Tesla Model X was two years of headaches with software and mechanical failures - to a point where I would only drive it if I absolutely needed to. Yes, prior to 2.x.x software for the Lucid there were some issues (actually very big issues in my case). However, the big difference is the Lucid team's responsiveness to my issues and the handling of fixing them. My Lucid finally works as I envisioned. My last issue was fixed by mobile service yesterday.

I can't say enough good things about the Lucid Service Manager for this region and their Service Tech. If I had any issues, it would be the third-party service center use in our region. But, now that they have a Service Tech overseeing their work, it has made a huge difference. Lastly, I am still happy with the fact that the Service Manager came to my office personally to sit down (not solicited by me) and talk to me about just not about my issues, but all things Lucid and the auto industry in general since he has been in it for a long time.
I share the same sentiment. Our Houston Service Center manager Josh took care of my issues promptly and made me feel confident about the company. Couple people I know who own Tesla shared to me the same sentiment as previous poster here. “You will enjoy and love your Tesla until you have problem with Tesla, then you will hate Tesla.”

Tesla is not bad car, it’s just their service department didnot scale well and has very bad reputation bc they kept cutting cost. So I was warned by Tesla owners not to buy a used Tesla.

Forgot to mention one of my main comparison points. The looks. The lucid looks like it’s from 2023. The Tesla design is 6 years old, based off a design that’s actually 10 years old. They are due for a redesign.

CE2450FD-9B6E-4AB7-8F2E-7672EDC5ADB8.jpeg

6A06CB87-FC18-4BEB-AC55-F8BE5B2E5818.jpeg

Software is no longer clunky :)
Kind of missing my Model X, the third of the 3 Teslas I had. For one thing, the Lucid is so low slung that I have to drive in the service entrance of my office building to avoid scraping the bottom. I miss the auto lane change on the Tesla and I find the Lucid screens remarkable un-responsive. Also miss the geo location memory on my Tesla that automatically folded the mirrors whenever I drove into my relatively narrow garage. I wish there was a button you could push to fold the side mirrors when backing up so that you didn't have to close the view screen, then close the mirrors, then go back and restart the back-up cameras. I think it is a beautiful car, much prettier and more luxurious that any Tesla but some of these features are not well thought out IMO. Another odd thing, when I get it hand washed, there are so many spaces between the pieces ( design not defect as far as I know) that as soon as I drive it, water comes shooting out of all the crevices and the car no longer looks terribly clean.

Last edited:
Assuming that at least 50% of the votes items ever arrive, I would not go back to my Tesla. I sold my model 3P, but still drive the X. We drive the lucid whenever we get the chance and love the drive so much better.

Yes the software in my last S worked better, but there is hope software will change. The lack of creature comforts , fit and finish as well as cheapness of the interior of my S will never change. This is why I’m driving a Lucid in the first place.

Please people....do not compare your "a couple of months old" car with your Tesla that is a decade in production.

Compare your Lucid to the Tesla S built in the first year of production.

Then ten years from now, we'll compare the Lucid with the Teslas being built today. That's fair.

Please people....do not compare your "a couple of months old" car with your Tesla that is a decade in production.

Then ten years from now, we'll compare the Lucid with the Teslas being built today. That's fair.
Honesty, I do not mind seeing the comparisons to what is available now. If we only saw comparisons to older Teslas there would be no competition.

I like seeing honest evaluations that despite the Lucid's early stage software shortcomings and limitations, many people are willing to accept and live with those for the better fit/finish/ride quality.

If they're doing a straight checklist comparison of the current Lucid software to Tesla's that is worthless because we are at such an early stage, but if they are taking into consideration all factors I think I am ok with it.

We took delivery on our second Tesla, a Model S Plaid, on August 21, 2021, the tenth year of Model S production and and the fifth month of production for the updated model.

We took delivery of our Lucid Air Dream -- car No. 154 off the production line -- on December 31, 2021.

The Model S Plaid had more manufacturing defects upon delivery than the Air. These included misaligned body panels, misaligned interior trim, a steering yoke that scuffed the steering column when turning, an outside rearview mirror that wasn't firmly attached to the car, the front passenger door requiring a hard slam to latch properly, and a protective film inside the door handles and ahead of the rear wheels that was noticeably yellower than the white car. Within the first month of delivery, a rubber grommet came off the hatchback lid, exposing a metal stud, and the driver airbag had to be replaced (twice, actually, as the first replacement was also defective).

We had the outside mirror replaced, the grommet replaced, and the yoke scuffing corrected. We're just living with the rest of the issues, as we've become used to Tesla build quality after seven years of owning them.

All three hardware issues with the Air -- poor license plate frame attachment, misaligned trunk lid, and detached weather strip on top of trunk -- were corrected quickly and properly.

The issues with Lucid's software are another subject entirely. Suffice it to say that Tesla's software, while not completely free of bugs, is much better at doing what it was engineered to do. But some of what it was meant to do -- such as forward/reverse selection, aiming air vents, passenger A/V controls -- is poorly conceived.

Another odd thing, when I get it hand washed, there are so many spaces between the pieces ( design not defect as far as I know) that as soon as I drive it, water comes shooting out of all the crevices and the car no longer looks terribly clean.

So true. I've never owned a car that is so difficult to dry after a washing. I squeegee the car; thoroughly blow out all the crevices with a lawn blower, paying particular attention to the rearview mirrors and door handles; towel it; open the trunk, frunk, and doors; let them drip while I clean the interior; use the lawn blower again around those openings; towel the exterior again. Close and reopen the trunk, frunk, and doors to catch another round of drips. Then blow out and towel the mirrors and door handles yet again.

I then park the car in the sun and let it sit a while before putting it in the garage, hoping evaporation will finish the job. I did all of this last week and didn't drive the car until the next day. As the car gained speed on the roadway, streams of water began blowing down the side of the car from the rearview mirrors. I swear there is a hidden water reservoir somewhere in those mirrors. Having had this happen after every previous wash, I pay particular attention to trying to duplicate that directional airflow with the lawn blower. I blow and blow until no more water comes out of those mirrors. Then I blow and blow on the mirrors from all directions. Then I blow again in the airflow direction. Then I put it on the road, and . . . .

Forgot to mention one of my main comparison points. The looks. The lucid looks like it’s from 2023. The Tesla design is 6 years old, based off a design that’s actually 10 years old. They are due for a redesign.

Actually, the Model S was designed in the 2008 timeframe, making it a 15-year-old design. The design prototype was publicly unveiled in March 2009 and, with almost no visual changes, was completely locked down by the time Peter Rawlinson joined Tesla in April 2010.

Rawlinson has commented on some of the engineering challenges he confronted in developing the suspension and drivetrain for a car the body shell of which he was not allowed to alter. This included the hatchback design, which Rawlinson felt was a main culprit in the Model S' poor torsional stiffness, and something he corrected with the stiff structural beam connecting the C pillars in the Air's trunk design. (This has been a controversial decision in terms of storage utility, but I firmly believe it is why our Model S Plaid has developed squeaks and groans while our Lucid Air, with both cars nearing 15,000 miles, has remained rock solid.)

Actually, the Model S was designed in the 2008 timeframe, making it a 15-year-old design. The design prototype was publicly unveiled in March 2009 and, with almost no visual changes, was completely locked down by the time Peter Rawlinson joined Tesla in April 2010.

Rawlinson has commented on some of the engineering challenges he confronted in developing the suspension and drivetrain for a car the body shell of which he was not allowed to alter. This included the hatchback design, which Rawlinson felt was a main culprit in the Model S' poor torsional stiffness, and something he corrected with the stiff structural beam connecting the C pillars in the Air's trunk design. (This has been a controversial decision in terms of storage utility, but I firmly believe it is why our Model S Plaid has developed squeaks and groans while our Lucid Air, with both cars nearing 15,000 miles, has remained rock solid.)
Maybe he was referring to the "no nose cone" model s. Still looks very old. And engineering wise, the model s is much worse than the lucid. The bigger frunk makes up for the smaller trunk.

Maybe he was referring to the "no nose cone" model s. Still looks very old. And engineering wise, the model s is much worse than the lucid. The bigger frunk makes up for the smaller trunk.
Do you also own both?

I then park the car in the sun and let it sit a while before putting it in the garage, hoping evaporation will finish the job. I did all of this last week and didn't drive the car until the next day. As the car gained speed on the roadway, streams of water began blowing down the side of the car from the rearview mirrors. I swear there is a hidden water reservoir somewhere in those mirrors. Having had this happen after every previous wash, I pay particular attention to trying to duplicate that directional airflow with the lawn blower. I blow and blow until no more water comes out of those mirrors. Then I blow and blow on the mirrors from all directions. Then I blow again in the airflow direction. Then I put it on the road, and . . . .
And I wonder if this isn't somehow linked to owners that complain about wind noise emanating from the side view mirrors.

What's interesting about the Model S design is that Tesla seems to be making a decision about design aesthetics in keeping the exterior look of the car relatively static over time.

The Model S undergoes constant engineering evolution under the skin, resulting in a car today that is significantly more advanced on the engineering front than the first model from 2012. Even though the newest Model S can easily be mistaken by casual observers for any version since the 2016 nose cone change, the vast majority of interior and exterior panels and components were changed for the 2021 update. With that much redesign and re-engineering -- and the associated manufacturing changeovers -- it would have been relatively easy to take the design in a whole new direction. Instead, Tesla chose to stay with a design language that still exacts a price in interior room that remains one of the biggest downsides of the Model S.

I think the imperatives of managing aerodynamics in EVs is causing a channeling of car design. Once a brand finds a "design language" that buyers will accept and that meets aerodynamic needs, it becomes very difficult to go in a whole new direction without crossing over into a channel that is already occupied by another automaker pursuing the same goals. And brand marketing concerns work against that.

What's interesting about the Model S design is that Tesla seems to be making a decision about design aesthetics in keeping the exterior look of the car relatively static over time.

The Model S undergoes constant engineering evolution under the skin, resulting in a car today that is significantly more advanced on the engineering front than the first model from 2012. Even though the newest Model S can easily be mistaken by casual observers for any version since the 2016 nose cone change, the vast majority of interior and exterior panels and components were changed for the 2021 update. With that much redesign and re-engineering -- and the associated manufacturing changeovers -- it would have been relatively easy to take the design in a whole new direction. Instead, Tesla chose to stay with a design language that still exacts a price in interior room that remains one of the biggest downsides of the Model S.

I think the imperatives of managing aerodynamics in EVs is causing a channeling of car design. Once a brand finds a "design language" that buyers will accept and that meets aerodynamic needs, it becomes very difficult to go in a whole new direction without crossing over into a channel that is already occupied by another automaker pursuing the same goals. And brand marketing concerns work against that.
Remember, Tesla "doesnt do" refreshes.Maybe the upcoming model 3 highland with a new design means they changed their mind. Also, I believe Franz still likes the model s and doesn't want to change it.

Back