19" vs 21" Tires: Ride Quality/Range Difference

Is ‘low rolling resistance’ only applicable to 21” tires?
Hard to believe Lucid would spec an OEM 21” tire having a roiling resistance with a 13.5% hit on range over a 19” multi season tire.
I surmise that whatever difference of “rolling resistance” between the two, the high performance 21” is most likely to be better than the multi season 19” OEM. Yet a demonstrated 13.5% greater energy consumption to rotate the 21”’s over the 19”’s (at 70 MPH).
So what about this added energy required to rotate a larger wheel?
My recollection of an Elon Musk statement is that one can do most anything as long as the laws of physics are not violated.
This article by Car & Throttle provides insights on some applicable laws of physics.

I'l bet they are "low rolling resistance" within their max performance category, but not in comparison to an efficiency-optimized all-season GT tire.
Yeah I agree with you, that's probably what it is. I'm still waiting for the PS EV's to add the appropriate sizes for the AGT in 21 inch 🤞

Low rolling resistance tires are available in most sizes that EVs and hybrids use, in most types (all-season versions and summer performance, etc). Summer maximum performance tires have much better traction then all season tires and a correspondingly higher rolling resistance. Tires are always a compromise between efficiency and grip.

21” range is acceptable for me for look and handling. How often does one go on road trip?

That's where I'm parked on this. ICE cars experience similar range gains and losses with tire and wheel changes. But few people really pay attention with a gas station on almost every corner.

We do the great majority of our driving off home charging. On the infrequent occasions when our trips depend on L3 highway charging, the Lucid's range -- no matter what the tires and wheels -- means charging is available when we need it, and the charging times are not too onerous. A charge is, of course, not as quick as a tank fill up. But then, with home charging for local driving, we probably save 50+ gas station stops a year in trade for the half dozen or so charging stops we might make along a highway in a year.

Low rolling resistance tires are available in most sizes that EVs and hybrids use, in most types (all-season versions and summer performance, etc). Summer maximum performance tires have much better traction then all season tires and a correspondingly higher rolling resistance. Tires are always a compromise between efficiency and grip.
Yes except Michelin's new pilot sport EV specific tire still is only available in limited sizes and options unfortunately

I'm good with the 21" tires' range, but afraid of the durability. 20" may be a good compromise but arrived too late for my car. My production would've moved to next year and I'd lose the tax credit.

I'm good with the 21" tires' range, but afraid of the durability. 20" may be a good compromise but arrived too late for my car. My production would've moved to next year and I'd lose the tax credit.
You can use the credit to buy a second set :)

thinking about Duke in the White Whale at the service station in "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas"
1665434989164.png

he had an issue with the "handling" of the 1971 Cadillac Fleetwood El Dorado convertable (it wasn't the drugs....Thompson is a doctor of journalism ... he knows how and how many drugs are necessary to enhance his perceptions ) "You took too much. Too much."
1665435095696.png

the service station attendant took issue with the 50psi Thompson was putting in the tires.

...so he increased it to 72.

that ... is a true Amerikan.

i love the way classic amerikan iron handles riding on a half-inch rind of rubber, like a ring of Saturn, tippling off into the Ort cloud.

Attachments

• 1665434907527.png
    1665434907527.png
    576 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Ride comfort and noise is much better in the 19” wheels without a huge loss in traction unless you’re really pushing it. However, the 21’s are absolutely excellent - I would compare them favorably to other sedans 19” wheels.

If you must have the range, all-seasons, comfort or quiet then go with the 19’s. Otherwise the 21’s are a great pick.
you mentioned 21's are excellent and a great pick. can you elaborate why?

I have 21s on my Porsche Panamera GTS. Yes, I feel the road more, but for me that is kind of the point. I feel that I can push the limits and stay on the rails while doing it.

I have no frame of reference for the GT, but opted for 21s because of the California weather and I want my sports car to kind of feel like a sports car. I’m not sure I’ve seen anyone with 21s regret it, so maybe I’m on the right track. Atleast I hope that I made a good decision. Lol
how does california weather affect your choice?

also to double confirm, you feel like you can push the limit because you feel the road more? if something goes wrong you can feel it first?

I have the 21" wheels on our Lucid Air Dream Performance but have not tried the 19" wheels. However, we also have a Tesla Model S Plaid with 21" wheels and before that had a Model S P90D with 19" wheels.

The Lucid on 21" wheels both rides and handles noticeably better than the older Tesla on 19" wheels, even though the Tesla had the air suspension option.

The comparison with the Tesla Plaid 21" wheels is more complex, as the Plaid 21" tires are much wider than the Lucid 21" tires. That said, the Lucid's ride is much more compliant and much quieter than the Plaid's even though, once again, the Plaid has an air suspension and the Lucid doesn't. Handling is a trickier question. Both cars take off like scalded cats, but the Plaid's front end goes disturbingly light under hard acceleration where the Lucid's stays more planted. In other types of dynamic maneuvers, the unwieldiness of that absurd yoke makes it very hard to discern the nuances of the Plaid's tire and suspension performance.

Not only will you be able to explore the limit more safely with the 21" tires on the Air compared to the 19" tires, the limit itself will be a bit further out. It's in the physics of tread width and sidewall height.

If you don't want to do seasonal wheel changes and you live in a climate that will see temperatures below 40º, you really have to go with the 19" wheels for safety and tire durability reasons. If wringing every bit of ride compliance and road silence out of your tires that you can is a top priority, again, go with the 19" wheels. If you want to maximize handling and road feel and can tolerate a bit less ride compliance and noise -- even though both are world class in the Air for either wheel size -- go with the 21" wheels.

Does anyone have any notion of how the 20's stack up in this equation?
I have 20s on our DE, changed from the 19s that came with the car. They are Pirelli P-Zero HL 245/40R20 tires. We switched to 20s due to replacing the original wheels. We notice no difference between the 2 sizes pertaining to noise, ride or range. The 20s are exactly the same diameter as the 19s were as the 19s were 245/45R19. Range remains at approximately 70% the estimated range.

I have 20s on our DE, changed from the 19s that came with the car. They are Pirelli P-Zero HL 245/40R20 tires. We switched to 20s due to replacing the original wheels. We notice no difference between the 2 sizes pertaining to noise, ride or range. The 20s are exactly the same diameter as the 19s were as the 19s were 245/45R19. Range remains at approximately 70% the estimated range.
When you are at 100% SOC, what miles it says on instrument cluster?

19” - 516 or 520
21” - 469
20” - ?????

What rims did you use?

I wish the 20” wheels were all season. Does anyone know how the 20” handles compared to the 21”. Im debating on 19” Michelins or the 20” and want something that can handle dirt roads and cold weather better.

I wish the 20” wheels were all season. Does anyone know how the 20” handles compared to the 21”. Im debating on 19” Michelins or the 20” and want something that can handle dirt roads and cold weather better.
I was hoping for 20” All Season OEM.

Back