19" vs 21" Tires: Ride Quality/Range Difference

LucidDropkick

Verified Owner
Cars
AGT - Range
Hey there,

I'm leaning towards the 19" right now but I cannot deny how much I love the way the 21" looks. However, I know you lose range (physics is physics after all).

For those of you who tried/test drove both the 19"/21":

• Which one did you end up going with?
  • What kind of range are you getting?
  • How is the ride quality on the 19 compared to the 21?

Thanks!

Thanks!

I did see that, but user is very much concerned with handling/traction/wheel control, and doesn't really talk about ride comfort/noise, which is what I'm more interested in.

I did see that, but user is very much concerned with handling/traction/wheel control, and doesn't really talk about ride comfort/noise, which is what I'm more interested in.
Ride comfort and noise is much better in the 19” wheels without a huge loss in traction unless you’re really pushing it. However, the 21’s are absolutely excellent - I would compare them favorably to other sedans 19” wheels.

If you must have the range, all-seasons, comfort or quiet then go with the 19’s. Otherwise the 21’s are a great pick.

The recent Edmunds review said something I found odd. They said the recommended pressure for the Air's 19" tires is 49 psi and that they consequently ride harsher than the 21" tires at their recommended 42 psi.

This much I know: our Dream with 21" tires rides noticeably better than our Model S Plaid with 21" tires . . . and also better than our earlier Model S P90D with 19" tires. (And both Teslas have air suspensions.)

The recent Edmunds review said something I found odd. They said the recommended pressure for the Air's 19" tires is 49 psi and that they consequently ride harsher than the 21" tires at their recommended 42 psi.

This much I know: our Dream with 21" tires rides noticeably better than our Model S Plaid with 21" tires . . . and also better than our earlier Model S P90D with 19" tires. (And both Teslas have air suspensions.)
I’m quite skeptical of the Edmunds review. I drove both back to back and the 19’s were noticeably better than the 21’s for ride comfort. The moment we got underway with the 19’s I could tell the difference.

I also agree about the harshness of the ride with the Model S. It is nowhere near as composed on the 2022 models.

Does anyone have any notion of how the 20's stack up in this equation?

So in summary, there is no improved ride quality, comfort with the 21? I'm not worried about the electric range difference between 19 and 21 at this time

So in summary, there is no improved ride quality, comfort with the 21? I'm not worried about the electric range difference between 19 and 21 at this time

I think you may be a bit confused.

A larger wheel means a smaller tire, and a smaller tire means less rubber to absorb bumps and sound.

A larger wheel will almost always mean smaller tire, and consequently, not as comfortable of a ride.

This thread is just about the nuance of how much less comfortable is it :)

I have 21s on my Porsche Panamera GTS. Yes, I feel the road more, but for me that is kind of the point. I feel that I can push the limits and stay on the rails while doing it.

I have no frame of reference for the GT, but opted for 21s because of the California weather and I want my sports car to kind of feel like a sports car. I’m not sure I’ve seen anyone with 21s regret it, so maybe I’m on the right track. Atleast I hope that I made a good decision. Lol

I think you may be a bit confused.

A larger wheel means a smaller tire, and a smaller tire means less rubber to absorb bumps and sound.

A larger wheel will almost always mean smaller tire, and consequently, not as comfortable of a ride.

This thread is just about the nuance of how much less comfortable is it :)
I was under the wrong impression, thought it meant more traction with "more wheel"but now i see how you explain it!

I only have experience with the 21" wheels on the Air. Was Edmunds correct in saying that the recommended tire pressure for the 19's is 49 pst? If so, the additional 7 psi of pressure over the 21" tires could erase a lot of the difference in ride harshness.

I only have experience with the 21" wheels on the Air. Was Edmunds correct in saying that the recommended tire pressure for the 19's is 49 pst? If so, the additional 7 psi of pressure over the 21" tires could erase a lot of the difference in ride harshness.
Yes the recommended tire pressure for the 19’s is 49psi.

How do you like the 21s? Do you find it loud and excessively bumpy?

How do you like the 21s? Do you find it loud and excessively bumpy?

No, I find the ride surprisingly compliant, especially compared to our Model S Plaid. I can't tell you how many passengers, including rear-seat occupants, have commented both on the quietness and smoothness of the ride, even though I almost always have the car in Swift or even Sprint mode, which slightly firm up the suspension. The ride reminds me very much of the Audi sedans I've had -- taut and well-controlled, but compliant. And the Audis had smaller diameter wheels.

I might be wary of the 21-inchers if I had to deal with potholes, but we don't see many of those in south Florida.

Last edited:
I was under the wrong impression, thought it meant more traction with "more wheel"but now i see how you explain it!

Not to worry, I can see where you're coming from with that assumption though! :)

EDIT: I should mention; handling characteristics definitely improve if the tire is wider, since there's more surface area gripping the road, but as far as I'm aware, the width of all the wheels is the same and it's just the diameter of the wheel that is different. As the wheel size increases, the sidewall of the tire decreases.

Back