19" vs 21" Tires: Ride Quality/Range Difference

Or, I should say, they officially recommend not using run flats. Not sure why.
If the recent YouTube sponsorship blitz by Hankook for its EV tires is to be believed, it's possibly because the sidewalls on runflats when deflated aren't stiff enough to support driving this heavy car. With a non-runflat, you won't even try.

I think your OEM is HL grade in load range where as his Pirelli winter tires are XL grade. Air is heavy at 5500 lbs skateboard battery recommended for HL grade.
They are rated for 1874 lbs or almost 7500 lbs for all four. TireRack made me call them to order for the Lucid because of the requirements and they verified these would handle all that wait.

They are rated for 1874 lbs or almost 7500 lbs for all four. TireRack made me call them to order for the Lucid because of the requirements and they verified these would handle all that wait.
Weight. Why can't I edit my stupidity?!?!?!?

Weight. Why can't I edit my stupidity?!?!?!?
The system is set up to only allow editing for the first 10 minutes after a post. If you make a typo, you have to catch it quick.

I had a short drive with 21's on my touring and i found them excellent for compliance and comfort. the suspension is extremely well tuned. That said, my experience is michelin's tend to make their performance tires with harder sidewalls than pirelli. Feels like wearing court shoes instead of trainers. Not a bad thing, just different. I think the main downside of the oem wheels / tires in 21" is it being prone to damage. I bet the pilot sport ev on 20" resists damage because of the harder sidewall and extra 0.5" of air cushion.

I had a short drive with 21's on my touring and i found them excellent for compliance and comfort. the suspension is extremely well tuned. That said, my experience is michelin's tend to make their performance tires with harder sidewalls than pirelli. Feels like wearing court shoes instead of trainers. Not a bad thing, just different. I think the main downside of the oem wheels / tires in 21" is it being prone to damage. I bet the pilot sport ev on 20" resists damage because of the harder sidewall and extra 0.5" of air cushion.
True that. Damage is the only thing that I get concerned about. Went through 2 tires in 5000 miles already. I am not sure if 20's will be better. I probably went through 10-12 tires in 60k miles on 20 inch on S Class. And only 4 of those were actually wear and tear changes. S class on the AMG wheels are known to be very bad on tires

The recommended tire pressures for the 19” wheels is 49 PSI and the 21” is 42 PSI.
But does anyone know the recommended pressure for the 20” wheels?

The recommended tire pressures for the 19” wheels is 49 PSI and the 21” is 42 PSI.
But does anyone know the recommended pressure for the 20” wheels?
If you have your car, the correct air pressure will be listed on the sticker on the driver's door jamb.

If you have your car, the correct air pressure will be listed on the sticker on the driver's door jamb.
Can anyone with 20” wheels tell me what that sticker says, my car came with 19’s and I’m making a 20 inch set

If you have your car, the owners manual is provided in the glovebox.
Sorry, I wasn't terribly clear. I was trying to point out that the Owners Manual is a good source of information about wheels/tires, providing lots more information than the door sticker, but many people don't know that it is there. It also answers lots of questions commonly posted to the forum in general, but for many people it is just too long to read.
My understanding, also, is that the version in the glovebox is a condensed version of the one available through the Lucid app, through the pilot's console, or the online version, and those are updated where the one in the glovebox is not.

Sorry, I wasn't terribly clear. I was trying to point out that the Owners Manual is a good source of information about wheels/tires, providing lots more information than the door sticker, but many people don't know that it is there. It also answers lots of questions commonly posted to the forum in general, but for many people it is just too long to read.
My understanding, also, is that the version in the glovebox is a condensed version of the one available through the Lucid app, through the pilot's console, or the online version, and those are updated where the one in the glovebox is not.
This is correct. The glovebox paper version is abridged (and obviously not regularly updated).

For folks who asked questions regarding the extra pieces on each wheel, here are the actual part numbers:
View attachment 2522
I really like how your wheels look with the cover taken off and the caps installed. Can I order using these part numbers from Millbrae? Did you notice any significant decrease in range? I don't care for the aero plastic cover at all.

I had the aero covers on 21's for about 15k miles and got 2.9 mi kWh. I got same rims new that have never had the aero inserts and over 1000 miles I am at 2.8 mi kWh. 3.4%.

I should note that I think the 2.9 indicated was about 2.94. Lucid only shows one digit. I have not done enough road trips on the new rims to determine if it is 2.8 or something more. So it could be as high as 5%.

I have 4 silver Lucid discs and the black wheel nut covers. If interested let me know. I bought them for the 21” wheels but now I have 20” wheels. So I can sell them. PM me.

I have 4 silver Lucid discs and the black wheel nut covers. If interested let me know. I bought them for the 21” wheels but now I have 20” wheels. So I can sell them. PM me.
Do you still have them? Do they fit on the 19-inch?

Excuse me if this is redundant, as I have only read the first several posts.
Ordered the car with the 19" A/S . Check that they are 49 psi (typically weekly) cold. Have lost traction making 90 degree turn from dead stop out of the neighborhood (onto busy road)...and scared the wife: got sideways before the nanny got to work . Explained to her that the car got us sorted but it might help to have the correct tires ( it worked!). Found a pristine set of "21's" on this site (local), and put them on. Yes TMPS light has been on since May. Yes I am about to swap back the 19" A/S tires now that it's dropping below 40 degrees F.

My observations: There is barely a comfort difference between the 19" wheels with the OEM A/S and the 21" (Aero Blade) wheels with the OEM summer tires. This is based on Smooth mode, as I assume the topic is comfort.

To prevent bubbles I keep my 21" summer tires (with the "35" profile) inflated to 45 psi cold.
About 7k miles on the summers. No worries. Picked up a screw at new Lucid service center...didn't puncture through chords...so far. I'm thinking increased pressure helped that too.
PXL_20231024_142533766.jpg

Seems the potholes are unavoidable too, no matter how careful I am. Been lucky so far.

So I am about to swap back in the 19" tires. Since it's so beautiful today I will go take one last ride on the 21" so I have a recent comparison.

note: 19" A/S Pirellis at 49 psi cold ; 21" summer Pirellis at 45 psi cold.

Last edited:
Back