• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

12V Failure

LuciPearl

Cars
Air Grand Touring
Happened in the garage so no safety concerns. Contacted Customer Care shortly after it happened on Saturday. Unfortunately Service in Houston closed at 4PM on Saturday so I won't speak to them until Tuesday morning. My question for others is whether or not Mobile Service can replace the 12V, or does this car get on a flatbed for 4 hour drive to Houston?

I'm also wondering about getting it a flatbed when the dead car is in park and the garage is a 90 degree turn from the driveway. Will let you know how all this works out.

Happened in the garage so no safety concerns. Contacted Customer Care shortly after it happened on Saturday. Unfortunately Service in Houston closed at 4PM on Saturday so I won't speak to them until Tuesday morning. My question for others is whether or not Mobile Service can replace the 12V, or does this car get on a flatbed for 4 hour drive to Houston?

I'm also wondering about getting it a flatbed when the dead car is in park and the garage is a 90 degree turn from the driveway. Will let you know how all this works out.
Looking forward to hearing about your resolution of the 12volt battery failure. Seems to be one of the most frequent nuisances being reported .

I'm starting to feel a recall coming on with this 12V issue. I try to keep a positive outlook, but of all the issues that pop up on this forum, this one seems to be the most prevalent lately. I can't help but wonder if Lucid has a serious issue on their hands with this one. Hopefully it'll be a simple enough fix, once they figure out the cause. If there even is a single cause.

In my case it lead to recovery nightmare and our Luci is still in the service center, see posts under Members Only Lounge/Car just up and died

My 12V batteries died 05/02. You can jump the car to get in. The service tech was able to drive my GT to the service center in Scottsdale.

I'm starting to feel a recall coming on with this 12V issue. I try to keep a positive outlook, but of all the issues that pop up on this forum, this one seems to be the most prevalent lately. I can't help but wonder if Lucid has a serious issue on their hands with this one. Hopefully it'll be a simple enough fix, once they figure out the cause. If there even is a single cause.
As a victim I would agree they have something systemic going on here, I hope the amount of fails will drive a long term solution, but I am sad it is at the cost of us having to deal with the issue.

Yea, I’m getting my car tomorrow and I am already mentally preparing for this possibility. It seems to be happening too frequently.

honestly i'm surprised that there are no recalls yet for this. i feel like i have seen over 4 different people on this forum alone talking about their 12v battery failure. this forum has only a small % of total GT/DEs out there so the real numbers are definitely higher. I wonder what Lucid is waiting on before issuing a recall? do they think these issues will resolve itself? even if they haven't found a solution yet, they could potentially warn us about it. I worry that Lucid is not forthcoming about these issues.

It's quite possible they haven't figured out yet the root cause and that's why there's been no recall. I suspect it's either a bad batch of batteries or a bad set of whatever component uses the HV to charge the 12v.

Did you fast charge prior to this happening?

I don’t think they’ve figured out what’s causing it tbh. I had a battery management system component replaced, all was good then next day car was dead again and needed to be jumped. They then replaced the vehicle control unit and now I have the car back. @Empty Nest and my issue happened shortly after DC fast charging but @Pete44 and someone else didn’t have their issue happen the same way.

I do agree that with the limited number of cars on the road and more of these 12v issues popping up that Lucid may have a problem. I took my car to DC fast charge yesterday and was anxious that I was going to come back to a dead car again. Thankfully, I was pushing 220Kw into it and had no issues at all so far (touch wood)

@Pete44 and my car were in the shop for 5 weeks so I hope they get better at fixing the issue faster and hopefully figure out what the root cause it.

It's quite possible they haven't figured out yet the root cause and that's why there's been no recall. I suspect it's either a bad batch of batteries or a bad set of whatever component uses the HV to charge the 12v.
I agree. They are probably still trying to figure out the problem. These batteries are run of the mill lead acid AGM batteries that most ICE cars use, and they are pretty reliable. I think it is unlikely this is a case of bad batteries, but it could still be. I am more inclined to believe it is a problem with the 12 V battery charging system as you suggested. Most likely it is a case of undercharging the battery and allow the SOC to drop to low levels and cause the battery to degrade more rapidly than normal and causing them to fail ahead of their time. Just a guess. They probably need to have a monitoring system to show the SOC for these 12V batteries.

I agree. They are probably still trying to figure out the problem. These batteries are run of the mill lead acid AGM batteries that most ICE cars use, and they are pretty reliable. I think it is unlikely this is a case of bad batteries, but it could still be. I am more inclined to believe it is a problem with the 12 V battery charging system as you suggested. Most likely it is a case of undercharging the battery and allow the SOC to drop to low levels and cause the battery to degrade more rapidly than normal and causing them to fail ahead of their time. Just a guess. They probably need to have a monitoring system to show the SOC for these 12V batteries.
It could be like Hyundai, where if the SOC drops below 30% the 12v will drain itself because it won't charge itself up.

From reading all the posts, it seems to me that @Empty Nest and @HC_79 are correct when they stated this is not a primary 12V problem. It seems the communication with the high voltage battery is malfunctioning leading to a 12V failure. As @HC_79 stated, his problem was not resolved until replacement of the vehicle control unit.

Did you fast charge prior to this happening?
Great question. After posting I did a search on this 12V issue and found comments about a possible link between fast charging and 12V failure. I did fast charge that day....it was my 5th fast charging session since having the car. This fast charge, as well as 1 of the prior 4 fast charge sessions, was on a 350kw charger. It quickly peaked at 211kw and then began slowing. With all 5 of my fast charger sessions I went in with a SOC between 30%- 38%. In the first 4 sessions I stopped at about 81-83% because it is just too slow at that point. However, in this case while waiting my wife called to ask me to come into the store to look at something she was considering, SOC at that time was in the mid to high 70% range. By the time we got back to the car and ended the session the car was at 93% SOC. We then ran some more errands and returned home at 83% SOC.

Next is where I may have contributed to the failure. Prior to delivery I had decided that at the 1000 mile mark I would contact Service to correct any issues. I had reached 1000 miles on those errands so I checked everything on the checklist while in the garage. I went through the entire checklist with the AC running all the time. It took me about 90 - 100 minutes to check everything, inside and out. Just as I was wrapping up, overjoyed there were only two issues (driver seat left side bolster not working and driver seat lumbar modifications work when using buttons on side of seat but does not work using panel), the 12V battery light came on.

Called Customer Service and described my long inspection technique (but not the fast charger usage as I wasn't aware there might be link...will mention that tomorrow). The response was if it had 4 hours the 12V failure would be expected, so this may be something else. Took pictures of the center dash and sent them, they confirmed 12V issue. While speaking to them the car went dead, and yes it was about 10 minutes from the time the light went on to the time of complete shutdown.

I hope to learn a lot tomorrow and will post here.

Seems like the DCFC is destroying a component which doesn't let the HV battery charge the 12v and the 12v just drains itself until it had 10 min left. Hope to hear a resolution soon!

Didn’t teslas have a similar issue where their 12vs were bricking the cars? Their new cars all use a 16v li-ion battery as the accessory battery

I added it up and I’ve DCFC 19 times on EA, 4 times on EVGo and 6 times on Chargepoint, have 6700 miles on the car and no 12v problems so far. Maybe I’ve just been lucky? But unless there’s different components involved in the 12v failure cars and mine, I’m thinking there’s got to be something beyond DCFC itself that’s the issue. I mean practically ALL Lucid owners have DCFC, right? How many actual 12v failures (and not some other failure that also involved 12v) have we had here, 6?

I added it up and I’ve DCFC 19 times on EA, 4 times on EVGo and 6 times on Chargepoint, have 6700 miles on the car and no 12v problems so far. Maybe I’ve just been lucky? But unless there’s different components involved in the 12v failure cars and mine, I’m thinking there’s got to be something beyond DCFC itself that’s the issue. I mean practically ALL Lucid owners have DCFC, right? How many actual 12v failures (and not some other failure that also involved 12v) have we had here, 6?
Damn, you are driving a ton. That’s fantastic!

Damn, you are driving a ton. That’s fantastic!
Yeah that’s what this car does, makes you want to drive it all the time. In the 3 years I had the Mercedes, and I liked that car, I put 11k miles a year on it. I’m on pace to put 18k a year on the Lucid haha, I’d better back off a bit if I want this car to last. ☹️ Sympathies to all those with the broken cars though, only posting my experience to hopefully add data points if anyone is trying to find a pattern.

Back