12V Failure

My experience in the garage is the time from notification to dying is 10 minutes. I recall reading elsewhere on this board that a software change was made to make the time be 10 minutes rather than an imminent shutdown.
Mercedes gives you plenty of warning so I am sure that Lucid can fix this.

So does the car warn you when it is shifting to running off the 12 volt batteries so you have time to get off the highway?
Now, yes. A recent software update made it pop up a message that you had 10 minutes to get to safety. That 10 minutes was supposedly always there, it just didn't notify you, and according to some other members they didn't always get the full ten minutes (though since they wouldn't have known, they may not have noticed).

Tech Primer: Why 12-Volt Batteries in Electric Cars Get Sick -- And How To Keep Yours Healthy​

Now, yes. A recent software update made it pop up a message that you had 10 minutes to get to safety. That 10 minutes was supposedly always there, it just didn't notify you, and according to some other members they didn't always get the full ten minutes (though since they wouldn't have known, they may not have noticed).

Can you describe the 10 minute warning? How visible is it when you are driving and not especially looking at the display?

Tech Primer: Why 12-Volt Batteries in Electric Cars Get Sick -- And How To Keep Yours Healthy​

Very informative. I guess to take it to the next level we'd look for an explanation of how to install a monitor on Lucid's 12v battery...sitting behind the right rear wheel well under a cover it's not easily accessible, or is it? I also understand the 10 minute lead time to make you aware of its pending failure could give you a chance to, a) get to safety, or b) get the battery jumped.

I was in Costco today and saw what I think were 12v battery jumpers, and it made me wonder if it would be useful to have one on hand? I'm far from a smart, young British tech babe...can jumping a 12v battery of an EV be done by rank amateur old men?

When your 12V battery needs a change does the Lucid system tell you?

These are deep cycle batteries that should last longer, but either way: yes, the interface will warn you when the charge is low.
Do you know where the warning would show up?
When mine failed last month during a failed update, I didn't see any warning on the app.

When mine failed last month during a failed update, I didn't see any warning on the app.
What did you end up doing was the car drivable? I understand there are 2 - 12V batteries but wasn’t sure if one acts as a back up in this scenario

I was in a rental Chrysler Pacifica last week in Seattle. The dash has a digital voltmeter for the 12 V battery. Saw it fluctuating between 12 and 15 V. Nice gadget.
Seattle drivers observe the speed limits much better than here and I kind of like it.
Saw no Lucid but a few Tesla 3s and Rivians.

Wouldn't be on the app; it would show up in the car on the driver binnacle, on the left side, if I recall correctly. Of course, that's only useful in the case of a normal drain where the battery simply loses it's ability to maintain charge over time. In the case of "catastrophic" or emergent failure like yours, it would obviously be a lot less useful.

You'll also see an icon that looks like this:
1693865734905.png

Wouldn't be on the app; it would show up in the car on the driver binnacle, on the left side, if I recall correctly. Of course, that's only useful in the case of a normal drain where the battery simply loses it's ability to maintain charge over time. In the case of "catastrophic" or emergent failure like yours, it would obviously be a lot less useful.

You'll also see an icon that looks like this:
View attachment 14671
Thanks for the info,
Another item to add to my wish list for the app functions, not that I could've done anything about it in my instance.
As an aside, this feature does exist on the app for an unnamed German auto brand, in which case one needs to close the frunk to allow charging.

Last edited:
Back