12 Months In, and I'm Out.

Yes, I don't think this quite fits the definition of a lemon, but MY car was just not built well.

And because I know you all are itching for an update:

I finally picked it up my car this morning after a week of repairs trying to fix the noisy parcel shelf. Boy was I surprised when I found out all the things that were wrong with the car. From my invoice:

- Checked torque of all High Voltage Battery(HV-B) bolts and found all bolts not torqued to specification. With all HV-B bolts torqued, performed road test(10/7/24 9:27AM 7,484mi. out - 9:32AM 7,486mi. in) over bumps with rear seat cushion removed, creak noise is no longer present. Removed all HV-B bolts, cleaned threads, replaced and torqued all HV-B hardware to specification as per Service Manual. Road test vehicle(10/4/24 12:21PM 7,486mi. out - 12:36PM 7,498mi. in) and confirmed creak noise is no longer present.

- During Multi-Point Inspection, found missing High Voltage Battery(HV-B) crossmember plugs.

- Contact and small relative motions between the front bezel and the back cover on the steering wheel when pushing/turning/driving.

- Left front suspension damper leaking

- Road tested vehicle and heard abnormal wind noise around driver's side mirror when driving over 50 mph. Upon inspecting driver's front door, found window glass to B-pillar gap not within specifications at 2mm. Removed driver's front door panel, adjusted window forward (X+) approximately 1.5mm. Window glass to B-pillar now within specifications at 3.5mm

- During road test, found roof bow squeaks over speed bumps. Inspected roof bow and found noise is coming from between backlite and rear of the roof bow area around the center passenger side. Removed roof bow and found poor adhesion of urethane. Road tested vehicle with roof bow removed, squeak noise is no longer present. Installed new roof bow and confirmed squeak is no longer present over speed bumps and normal driving conditions. (NOTE THAT THIS BOW WAS REPLACED DURING MY LAST SERVICE VISIT)

- Concern: During removal of parcel shelf for noise diagnosis, found parcel shelf broken. Cause: Broken mounting tabs. Corrections: Parcel shelf mounting tabs broken prior to removal. Performed glass roof variant rework to new parcel shelf and installed.

- During the first two months of owning the car, the bolts for my front suspension were also not tightened to spec.

I understand this is a new car company and everyone says to expect headaches, but, in my opinion, Lucid shit the bed with this $100,000 vehicle, after only 8,000 miles, purchased last November.

I just can't excuse this, and I would be surprised if any of you all would excuse this as well. But perhaps my standards are different than yours, especially for this price.
Definitely a lemon, no matter what the definitions are. Did a kindergarden class practice assemblying your vehicle, was inspection asleep when checking the car? Inexcusable is right. But most of us here are surprised since our cars don't seem to display the multiple problems yours is afflicted with. I would still expect some compensation from Lucid. Heck, Lucid should come forward on their own with something to make you feel good about their cars and the company.
Best of luck to you

It's the service after getting the car that makes the difference and Lucid seems to be meeting that metric for many. Your loaner crapped the bed? They replaced it for you quickly and without issue. How can you complain about that?
For the first part of your statement--this has successfully (I hope) been diagnosed after 10 months and multiple service visits. Having your car fixed in good time is no comparison to my experience. Yes they fixed it, but after months of headaches.

The loaner crapping out--i see it as a safety issue. The car they gave me, IMO, was not safe for the road. I got home as soon as possible and even told the service center that I didn't want them driving that car back--it should've been towed. Random warning messages about braking issues and parking issues and displays going blank MID-DRIVE is absolutely not acceptable. Yes, they replaced it, but that is not something that should've happened on the first place. New company or not.

Waiting weeks for appointments, months for resolution with fixes of fixes of a car that probably shouldn't have been let out the factory with all these things not to spec, and loaners that aren't fit for the road goes way beyond what can be considered acceptable for ANY company, I can't just "move on" from that.

As I said, maybe my standards are different, but I can guarantee that if any of you had the issues I have had with this vehicle, you would be furious too.

But as you said, I am moving on. I will investigate with PA Lemon Law, I will keep track of the amount of service days, I will contact Lucid Corporate, I will contact BBB, and I will shout from the mountaintops on here and Reddit and anyone else that asks me about my car about this experience. And if, or when, the next issue with my car comes up, you better believe I will be posting about it.

I am sorry to read about the difficulties and disappointment that some have experienced. My experience after two years is that the staff at Lucid has been accessible, polite, and focused on solving whatever problems have arisen. Lucid has met my expectations for service but for me the overriding benefit of owning my AGT has been its many attributes about which I have written in several other threads. No it has not been bulletproof like my former Porsches, Audis, MB's or BMW's, but it surpases all of them in what is important to me.

I am sorry you had to go thru this. Thank you for helping Lucid deal with these errors. I am sure they will avoid making the same mistakes again.

I have been one of the lucky ones. My car is just awesome.

For the first part of your statement--this has successfully (I hope) been diagnosed after 10 months and multiple service visits. Having your car fixed in good time is no comparison to my experience. Yes they fixed it, but after months of headaches.

The loaner crapping out--i see it as a safety issue. The car they gave me, IMO, was not safe for the road. I got home as soon as possible and even told the service center that I didn't want them driving that car back--it should've been towed. Random warning messages about braking issues and parking issues and displays going blank MID-DRIVE is absolutely not acceptable. Yes, they replaced it, but that is not something that should've happened on the first place. New company or not.

Waiting weeks for appointments, months for resolution with fixes of fixes of a car that probably shouldn't have been let out the factory with all these things not to spec, and loaners that aren't fit for the road goes way beyond what can be considered acceptable for ANY company, I can't just "move on" from that.

As I said, maybe my standards are different, but I can guarantee that if any of you had the issues I have had with this vehicle, you would be furious too.

But as you said, I am moving on. I will investigate with PA Lemon Law, I will keep track of the amount of service days, I will contact Lucid Corporate, I will contact BBB, and I will shout from the mountaintops on here and Reddit and anyone else that asks me about my car about this experience. And if, or when, the next issue with my car comes up, you better believe I will be posting about it.
I’m sure this has been extremely frustrating, but there is a difference between constructive criticism, Lucid making an earnest attempt to repair your issues, and embarking on a vendetta. If you feel so inclined, even assuming they did wind up fixing your issues, then pursue the lemon law for your state.

However given that so many of us here are extremely happy with the car (I currently have just over 10,000 miles on my AWD Pure and it still hasn’t seen a service center or mobile service), your experience is more the exception than the rule. I don’t know what you’re accomplishing by taking your unhappiness and ‘shouting it from the mountaintops’.

I completely agree these issues should not have happened in the first place. No question a lot of things went wrong with this one build.

You know where else stuff like this happens? Literally every company making anything on an assembly line.

My measure of a company is always what they do when things do go wrong. Not whether or not everything goes perfectly.

In this case, it’s a bit of a mixed bag, unfortunately. On the one hand, this last visit they seemed to really dig in and get the details right. Kudos to that team for the level of detail.

On the other hand, it took ten months and too many visits to make that happen.

I’m sure the service team and customer care managers aren’t patting themselves on the back on this one. Let’s put it that way. Balls were dropped. No question. I would not be surprised if discussions are happening right now about how to avoid mistakes like these in the future. The people at Lucid do care about this stuff.

Whether the owner who went through this wants to forgive and forget is entirely their call. I love this car so much I’d just be happy it’s finally working properly. But I won’t judge anyone who reacts differently.

For everyone who keeps saying Lemon, based off OP's descriptions of issues, this is not a likely lemon candidate, and OP indicated as such.
There are two uses of the word "lemon" in this context. One invokes the very specific lemon law in a given state; the other references a product that for whatever reason has lots of problems that other cases of the same product don't. I know I, and I think others, were referencing the latter.

I’m sure this has been extremely frustrating, but there is a difference between constructive criticism, Lucid making an earnest attempt to repair your issues, and embarking on a vendetta. If you feel so inclined, even assuming they did wind up fixing your issues, then pursue the lemon law for your state.

However given that so many of us here are extremely happy with the car (I currently have just over 10,000 miles on my AWD Pure and it still hasn’t seen a service center or mobile service), your experience is more the exception than the rule. I don’t know what you’re accomplishing by taking your unhappiness and ‘shouting it from the mountaintops’.
Nice. And said by someone who has owned and driven competitor EVs as well.

Yes, I don't think this quite fits the definition of a lemon, but MY car was just not built well.

And because I know you all are itching for an update:

I finally picked it up my car this morning after a week of repairs trying to fix the noisy parcel shelf. Boy was I surprised when I found out all the things that were wrong with the car. From my invoice:

- Checked torque of all High Voltage Battery(HV-B) bolts and found all bolts not torqued to specification. With all HV-B bolts torqued, performed road test(10/7/24 9:27AM 7,484mi. out - 9:32AM 7,486mi. in) over bumps with rear seat cushion removed, creak noise is no longer present. Removed all HV-B bolts, cleaned threads, replaced and torqued all HV-B hardware to specification as per Service Manual. Road test vehicle(10/4/24 12:21PM 7,486mi. out - 12:36PM 7,498mi. in) and confirmed creak noise is no longer present.

- During Multi-Point Inspection, found missing High Voltage Battery(HV-B) crossmember plugs.

- Contact and small relative motions between the front bezel and the back cover on the steering wheel when pushing/turning/driving.

- Left front suspension damper leaking

- Road tested vehicle and heard abnormal wind noise around driver's side mirror when driving over 50 mph. Upon inspecting driver's front door, found window glass to B-pillar gap not within specifications at 2mm. Removed driver's front door panel, adjusted window forward (X+) approximately 1.5mm. Window glass to B-pillar now within specifications at 3.5mm

- During road test, found roof bow squeaks over speed bumps. Inspected roof bow and found noise is coming from between backlite and rear of the roof bow area around the center passenger side. Removed roof bow and found poor adhesion of urethane. Road tested vehicle with roof bow removed, squeak noise is no longer present. Installed new roof bow and confirmed squeak is no longer present over speed bumps and normal driving conditions. (NOTE THAT THIS BOW WAS REPLACED DURING MY LAST SERVICE VISIT)

- Concern: During removal of parcel shelf for noise diagnosis, found parcel shelf broken. Cause: Broken mounting tabs. Corrections: Parcel shelf mounting tabs broken prior to removal. Performed glass roof variant rework to new parcel shelf and installed.

- During the first two months of owning the car, the bolts for my front suspension were also not tightened to spec.

I understand this is a new car company and everyone says to expect headaches, but, in my opinion, Lucid shit the bed with this $100,000 vehicle, after only 8,000 miles, purchased last November.

I just can't excuse this, and I would be surprised if any of you all would excuse this as well. But perhaps my standards are different than yours, especially for this price.

That is indeed a long list of problems and I would be disappointed also. I think the biggest opportunity for improvement with Lucid is in their quality control and trying to better ensure consistency in build quality of cars leaving the factory. Most people have been quite pleased, including myself. I have had minimal problems and am very thankful .

When problem free, it’s just a stellar vehicle. I am glad they were so thorough in diagnosing all the issues with your car. I hope it’s smooth sailing for you in the future.

I feel for you. It sucks to have continuing issues with any car let alone a new expensive one. I’ve been fortunate enough to have owned/own some great cars. Many have had significant issues. Couple of show stoppers off the time of my head… G80 M3 needed a new manual transmission after 3,000 miles, Golf R water pump failed at 10,000 miles, E39 M5 had a vanos leak and dumped a giant puddle of oil in my garage during the 1st week of ownership, E60 M5 did the exact same thing, Porsche Cayenne Turbo had out of round front axels that caused a vibration at 70 mph. All issues were resolved accept the Porsche. Said I’d never buy one again but have had 3 since. My lucid hasn’t been perfect but nothing significant. Knocks on wood ;)Given the low volume of production you’d think they could do better. Or maybe it’s due to the low volume IDK. Bottom line is if they want to survive they need to do better. They're going to burn out their field support. And a bad reputation is hard thing to recover from.

I love the car and have no regrets LEASING it, even though it's been in service 4 to 5x for minor things. I don't trust it beyond the lease and will definitely turn it in after. I may lease another one after (unlikely, but only because I like new things and leasing the same thing would be weird).

But yes, even if minor, I've never had this many issues with a new car, though I did expect it with the young brand. No regrets :)
I've had a few issues, all fixed, now terrific! I'm sure 2024/2025 builds and the Gravity will be up a level.

It is really too bad that people are having such unsatisfactory experiences with their Lucid. I have had my Air Pure AWD for 8 months and still love everything about it. I am on the basic DD so I don’t have any of those issues to deal with so that helps I guess. I went out today after not driving it for a few days and loved it all over again. Hopefully Lucid will solve these issues as there is a great product and experience here. Also, I live on Vancouver Island so my only service option is remote from the mainland in Vancouver and they have been great.

Get his. Let's see how happy you still are.
Happy to. Sounds like it’s all fixed now. I’m sure it would be great.

Definitely a lemon, no matter what the definitions are.
Words matter. While I understand your point, calling something a lemon when it isn’t is not helpful to anyone. The car had issues, but it wasn’t a lemon.

Why is that important? Because a lemon isn’t fixable in any reasonable timeframe, by definition. This was.

I have had plenty of issues; some worse than yours. I’m not furious.

I have also owned other cars, and some of them have also had plenty of issues. Wasn’t furious with most of them either.

It is really too bad that people are having such unsatisfactory experiences with their Lucid.
Most aren’t. I think that’s important to reiterate.

That doesn’t make OP’s situation any better or easier, but it does help set the stage a bit.

Back