NACS Megathread

The plug is open, yes. But *superchargers* are not.

Everyone seems to mistake “switching to NACS” as “able to charge at superchargers” but that is not the case. Being able to charge at superchargers leaves you at the mercy of Tesla, which absolutely encourages them to monopolize charging stations given their significant lead.

I’d rather have multiple players than leave all our infrastructure to Tesla, personally.
How does that leave you at the mercy of Tesla given that you’ll still be able to charge at all CCS1 and J1772 stalls?
Tesla has even equipped its own vehicles to charge at CCS1 stalls since 2020 with an inexpensive adapter, and also offers a retrofit service for most older Tesla vehicles.

The plug is open, yes. But *superchargers* are not.

Everyone seems to mistake “switching to NACS” as “able to charge at superchargers” but that is not the case. Being able to charge at superchargers leaves you at the mercy of Tesla, which absolutely encourages them to monopolize charging stations given their significant lead.

I’d rather have multiple players than leave all our infrastructure to Tesla, personally.
NACS is a no brainer to me. Plug is smaller and way easier to connect. I want one standard that just works and you never think about it. It has to be that way for the US population to adopt. Two standards never win. Tesla won’t monopolize. BP already buying NACS and so will other companies. CCS is a mess and just is not improving.

I would rather be at the mercy of a charger that works than at the mercy of one that does not. 🙂

One small interesting thing: the 1000V-capable NACS plug being used on new supercharger installations is quite a bit larger than the old 500V Tesla plug. 1000V compatibility is one of two reasons that the CCS plug has always been larger than Tesla's.

One small interesting thing: the 1000V-capable NACS plug being used on new supercharger installations is quite a bit larger than the old 500V Tesla plug. 1000V compatibility is one of two reasons that the CCS plug has always been larger than Tesla's.
Wait, then how do they fit into old teslas?

Wait, then how do they fit into old teslas?
The new 1000V plug appears longer than the old 500V plug, but is the same diameter. It is designed to mate with both 450V tesla cars, and the 800(?) volt Cybertruck.

Attachments

• 1000V NACS.png
    1000V NACS.png
    857.4 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
This just isn’t true. The misinformation here can be really anti-Tesla.
Look below you.

And also, what other misinformation? This case was just me misunderstanding which dimension it was bigger at.

As a new Lucid owner and first EV, fankly couldn't care less about a slow charge at some station. I can throw my cable into the frunk and charge on a plug if I'm on a trip and can't find a charge. I plan to only use on short trips. I want fast charging or nothing or I'll leave my EV in my garage and drive my ice vehicle on road trips until fast reliable chargers are available and in ample supply. Couldn't care less about which plug Lucid chooses. We looked at the Air because of it's long range and enjoyable drive...The range and travel charger made this car compete with an ice vehicle especially since our other car we use on road trips as it's an SUV. I live in Texas and I don't expect fastcharging to be reliably available for years and that's is ok it takes time.

As a new Lucid owner and first EV, fankly couldn't care less about a slow charge at some station. I can throw my cable into the frunk and charge on a plug if I'm on a trip and can't find a charge. I plan to only use on short trips. I want fast charging or nothing or I'll leave my EV in my garage and drive my ice vehicle on road trips until fast reliable chargers are available and in ample supply. Couldn't care less about which plug Lucid chooses. We looked at the Air because of it's long range and enjoyable drive...The range and travel charger made this car compete with an ice vehicle especially since our other car we use on road trips as it's an SUV. I live in Texas and I don't expect fastcharging to be reliably available for years and that's is ok it takes time.

This is a perfect example if you want to stay the same way, you can even when there's an expansion of choices for an additional slower charge of 50kW stations.

It's an expansion of choices, not a reduction of choices.

For example, in Brea Mall, CA, there are 4 350kW Electrify America stalls in the red square that are right next to 20 (50kW-Lucid capable) Supercharger stalls in the red oval.

jshAGZ3.jpg

No one forces you to abandon the 4 faster 350kW EA stalls to defect to the much slower 20 50kW-Lucid capable Superchargers right next door.

However, I do notice that sometimes the 4 faster 350kW EA stalls have a line, and sometimes all 4 faster 350kW EA stalls are down. But even when that happens, no one forces you to charge at the slower 20 50kW-Lucid capable Superchargers.

When the "monopoly" heats up and all cars only have NACS ports, Electrify America would have both CCS1 and NACS cables. Guess who would a consumer pick? A monopoly with a slower 50kW-Lucid capable Supercharger or a faster 350kW Electrify America?

An expansion of choices is better even when you don't need it.

Finally! Was this timed for the earnings call?
Most certainly. They've been releasing "good news" just before earnings pretty much every quarter. Combine this with the Gravity reveal, and they should be able to get the stock out of the $4 range soon. One hopes.

Adapter availability in 2025 my be timed to meet to Tesla's plans to migrate to 920V-compliant stations?
The 2025 timing is for all the latecomers (e.g., BMW, Toyota) capitulating to Tesla's terms.

And now, can we finally close this thread?

Just kidding. We'll wait to see the inevitable complaints about how they went about it…

Every once in a while when I think Lucid doesn’t care about certain issues, they do something like this and renew my faith! 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

EA reputation and public CCS stations growth just hasn’t been keeping up. <alas>

Will tesla be retrofitting ALL superchargers with longer cables so we don't have to park sideways? Lol

Will tesla be retrofitting ALL superchargers with longer cables so we don't have to park sideways? Lol
If so, it would take a long time.

doubt it. Even the magic dock stations don't have any longer cables. Only the newer V4 stations have the longer cables.

Back