• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

What am I missing....

Charley

Cars
RivianR1T, Sapphire
DE Number
I read the charger is built into the car and what is needed is a 14-50 wall receptacle. Then I see people mounting chargers on the wall and either hardwiring it or plugging it into a 14-50. Is a wall charger going to supply more power ? Seems redundant . Maybe I need more coffee.

I believe you’re limited to 40a if you plug in. If you hardwire a charger you can go above this limit. The Lucid is efficient and anything above the plug in is probably overkill.

No, it just means you don't have to unpack and repack your mobile charger if you go on road trips or somewhere else you will need a charger.

Essentially, it's POSSIBLE to get a slightly faster charging speed ONLY wiring can support a true 50 amp connection, but the reality is that it won't matter.

I put a wall charger in so that I could just leave the mobile charger in the car the whole time, but that was just a personal preference, plus I was taking advantage of the 30% tax credit for chargers as well.

I'm not sure if this is what you're asking, but to be pedantic (something of a specialty of mine :)): The thing on the wall that everyone (including me) calls a charger for convenience is really just a power connection device; all modern EVs have chargers built in that can take that A/C power and charge the car's battery. So it's really true that the car has a built-in charger, but you still need something external to plug power into the car.

The car comes with a "mobile charger", which is such a device that can plug into either a NEMA 14-50 or a NEMA 5-15 receptacle at one end and your car at the other. But as hydbob@ says, it's more convenient to just leave that in the car the whole time, and leave something on the wall that is permanently plugged into the 14-50 and you just have to plug the other end into the car.

You also do not want to be unplugging and plugging in a charger frequently in a NEMA 14-50 plug. It is best to plug in a charging unit and leave it there, so most people buy one and attach it to the wall, leaving the mobile unit in the car. The NEMA 14-50 plug can deliver 40 amps if on a 50 amp circuit. If you want more power, then you need to hardwire. The Lucid Air can accept 80 amps of power so if the charger unit can deliver it, you will need to have a 100 amp circuit and hard wire the unit.

I'm not sure if this is what you're asking, but to be pedantic (something of a specialty of mine :)): The thing on the wall that everyone (including me) calls a charger for convenience is really just a power connection device; all modern EVs have chargers built in that can take that A/C power and charge the car's battery. So it's really true that the car has a built-in charger, but you still need something external to plug power into the car.

The car comes with a "mobile charger", which is such a device that can plug into either a NEMA 14-50 or a NEMA 5-15 receptacle at one end and your car at the other. But as hydbob@ says, it's more convenient to just leave that in the car the whole time, and leave something on the wall that is permanently plugged into the 14-50 and you just have to plug the other end into the car.
Yes, the charger is in the car. The item you plug into the wall is an EVSE, but every calls it a “charger”. it is what delivers the power to the wonderbox charger in the Lucid Air.

Thanks for all the info. So in general the 40 amp level 2 cord listed in the Amazon link above will charge the car fully overnight ? Are there any pluses or minuses to supplying 80 amps instead ?

Thanks for all the info. So in general the 40 amp level 2 cord listed in the Amazon link above will charge the car fully overnight ? Are there any pluses or minuses to supplying 80 amps instead ?
It will charge quicker. 40a will charge just fine for normal use.

Just remember, Lucid supplies an EVSE for you so I would probably use that until you figure out exactly what you want to do.

A33E52F4-6D04-4D8F-BB73-1D8D85250040.jpeg

No. It’s installed in the breezeway and the circuit breaker panel was just in side the garage on the same wall. Was really easy for the electrician.

I read the charger is built into the car and what is needed is a 14-50 wall receptacle. Then I see people mounting chargers on the wall and either hardwiring it or plugging it into a 14-50. Is a wall charger going to supply more power ? Seems redundant . Maybe I need more coffee.
For the Lucid, another reason for a dedicated home charger like ChargePoint rather than just using the cord that comes with the car is that dedicated wall chargers are “smart” and can be set to charge at off-peak hours. Our cars can’t (yet) be programmed to charge at specific times like Teslas.

I wonder how much money we save by being able to charge in off peak versus paying for a smart charger...

I wonder how much money we save by being able to charge in off peak versus paying for a smart charger..
Well, in San Diego it is about 55 cents a kWh between Peak and super off peak charging rates. To fill just 100kw on the Lucid battery once, that would be a difference of $55. Won’t take long at that rate to pay for a smart charger to charge 12-6a, but I assume Lucid will eventually allow timed charging Via a software update.

Well, in San Diego it is about 55 cents a kWh between Peak and super off peak charging rates. To fill just 100kw on the Lucid battery once, that would be a difference of $55. Won’t take long at that rate to pay for a smart charger to charge 12-6a, but I assume Lucid will eventually allow timed charging Via a software update.
hmmm. I'm no mathematician but isn't the difference $5.50?

hmmm. I'm no mathematician but isn't the difference $5.50?
There is an extensive article on V2G in the back section (Future Everything) of the Wall Street Journal. A couple of things:
1. They indicated that a unit capable of two way electrical flow from an EV will cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $5000. I guess I thought the Lucid Home Charger was going to be around $800 (I think my SA told me that back in April last year). Anyway, maybe the $5000 amount includes the wiring and hookup charges??
2. The article also indicated if you are using the EV to send power back to the Grid on a regular basis (perhaps during peak times to get the higher credit??) you will degrade your battery. I thought that was one of the advantages of the Tesla Power Wall units??

Back