Valet Parking

When a valet is using the Lucid card do they need to lock the doors after they get out or will they lock automatically? Also, have others had an okay experience with valets using the card? Per this thread it seems an overly complicated process but I ask as I usually only carry my phone and the card, and try to remember to bring the fob if we're going somewhere with valet, but I'm going to forget at some point and want to make sure I describe the card process correctly to them. I'm inclined to tell them just to use the pin, which I've changed to an easy number, vs. having to describe to hold it up to the Y mic on the ceiling, but I'd also be interested to hear what others do.
Give the valet one of your fobs. Teaching a valet to use a PIN is not reasonable. What if that valet leaves for the day and a different person takes over? The car doesn’t auto lock or auto unlock with the card, either. Valets are used to fobs, why not give them what they expect?

Give the valet one of your fobs. Teaching a valet to use a PIN is not reasonable. What if that valet leaves for the day and a different person takes over? The car doesn’t auto lock or auto unlock with the card, either. Valets are used to fobs, why not give them what they expect?
Yeah @Bobby, my thoughts exactly. I'm just trying to prepare for that (inevitable) first time when I don't have the fob on me (I don't like to carry it all the time) & have to describe to them how to best use the card.

Yeah @Bobby, my thoughts exactly. I'm just trying to prepare for that (inevitable) first time when I don't have the fob on me (I don't like to carry it all the time) & have to describe to them how to best use the card.
Perhaps leave a fob with the battery outside of it hidden in the car somewhere?

Perhaps leave a fob with the battery outside of it hidden in the car somewhere?
That could work. I was also thinking about just printing the valet code on a small piece of paper and taping on to the key card. Not the most secure option but probably not too big of a risk.

If you haven't seen the movie Ferris Bueller's Day Off I strongly suggest you watch it. Besides being a very funny movie it will convince you as it did me to NEVER USE VALET PARKING!!!
Some hotels you don’t really have a choice it’s much easier to valet

Some hotels you don’t really have a choice it’s much easier to valet
I still don't trust it. Usually when I'm at hotels it's at night and can't see anything. So until Lucid gets sentry mode working and I have everything recorded, I won't ever know where a scrape or damage comes from. Never taking that chance especially after my last car, 9k miles on it Hyundai Santa Fe Ultimate, full retractable panoramic sun roof, 7 full seats, all leather, amazing cooled front seats, I actually really liked that car. Sold it to buy the Lucid, and didn't know until the prospective buyer came that I had a dent that I NEVER noticed, no idea when it happened as I baby all my cars. I was shook, but he was right...

gavram, I don't know the answer to your question about automatic locking with the card, but have a question for you about something else you mentioned. You say you usually only carry your phone and the card. I always carry my fob. Is my phone all I need? I have the Lucid app on my iPhone. How does that work? Is there a set-up process? Is it automatic, as with the fob? As to the valet issue, I would be happy, for now, if I could just lock out my glovebox and frunk.

gavram, I don't know the answer to your question about automatic locking with the card, but have a question for you about something else you mentioned. You say you usually only carry your phone and the card. I always carry my fob. Is my phone all I need? I have the Lucid app on my iPhone. How does that work? Is there a set-up process? Is it automatic, as with the fob? As to the valet issue, I would be happy, for now, if I could just lock out my glovebox and frunk.
Yes, you don't need to carry the FOB. Most of us that don't carry the FOB, carry the card as a backup. As long as you pair your phone with the car, you should be able to use it w/o anything else (i.e. to open doors and drive). The doors will lock by themselves when you walk away from the car.

As for "valet mode", IMO, there is no such feature on the Lucid (at least not yet). Many of us have made suggestions for OTA updates to enable a Valet Mode, but there's nothing as of yet. There's no way that I know of to only lock out the Glovebox and/or the Frunk. The card-key can be used as a FOB or phone as long as you make contact with the NFC-enabled locations on the car (as a matter of fact, you don't need a PIN code with the card either .. can see my earlier post on where the contact is located to avoid entering a PIN)

Please read the FAQ on www.lucidupdates.com, where there is a lengthy explanation of the set up an usage of mobile key on your phone.

Yes, I almost never carry the fob and always use the phone & it's been really reliable. See Bobby's post above for instructions to set up mobile key but it works pretty well. I use an Android phone and it's reliable but I need to open the Lucid app for it to recognize the car & auto open the doors & drive. It's not a big deal as my routine is to either keep the app running or, more often, I just hit the Lucid app icon then immediately turn my phone off & put it back in my pocket while it loads in the background as it doesn't require you to actually interact with app buttons to open & run the car. If you have an iPhone you probably won't need to do this step.

Yes, I almost never carry the fob and always use the phone & it's been really reliable. See Bobby's post above for instructions to set up mobile key but it works pretty well. I use an Android phone and it's reliable but I need to open the Lucid app for it to recognize the car & auto open the doors & drive. It's not a big deal as my routine is to either keep the app running or, more often, I just hit the Lucid app icon then immediately turn my phone off & put it back in my pocket while it loads in the background as it doesn't require you to actually interact with app buttons to open & run the car. If you have an iPhone you probably won't need to do this step.
I rarely need to touch my phone to use mobile key on Android. Just keep it open and the app from sleeping.

I’m just always afraid of explaining this all to one valet and having a different valet come onto duty and have no idea how to move the car. At this point, just give him a fob and make sure you trust them.
Can’t get my Key Card to work. Any suggestions ?

Are you placing is above or below the camera on the pillar on the driver's side? It should be be held just above the camera.
Had it both centered,above and below. iPhone was in locked car. Went to get fob to open and luckily that worked.

I completely agree, Bobby, except for the trusting part. I've heard too many stories of missing items. As Staff, perhaps you could pass my solution along to management/the coders/whoever can make valet parking viable.
If I can avoid it, I don't use valet parking. I just don't want to trust my car (and, perhaps, the contents thereof) to a bunch of minimum wage strangers. They might be terrific or they could be the guys in Ferris Bueler.

Had it both centered,above and below. iPhone was in locked car. Went to get fob to open and luckily that worked.
Next time, just try pushing in the door handle.

If I can avoid it, I don't use valet parking. I just don't want to trust my car (and, perhaps, the contents thereof) to a bunch of minimum wage strangers. They might be terrific or they could be the guys in Ferris Bueler
I don't do it often, but I've never had a problem when we have. I don't really leave anything in the car, so there's nothing for anyone to steal. And it's been returned to us in the same condition as we left it every time. The best experience was when we went to a party downtown. The hotel is at a very busy intersection with the valet drop-off set up on one corner. They normally take the cars and move them somewhere, probably to one of the parking garages. My Lucid though, was moved to the front of the line, and stayed there all night right in front of the valet desk where they watched it all evening. I was very happy. But I agree, a valet mode would be a good improvement - a mode that locked the glovebox and maybe the trunk/frunk and limited the speed to something normal.

All this info and these opinions are fine, but, all I really want is a lockout for the glovebox and frunk. Doesn't seem like too much to ask.

All this info and these opinions are fine, but, all I really want is a lockout for the glovebox and frunk. Doesn't seem like too much to ask.
Agreed. Lucid has no Valet Mode at the moment, whatever they want to call it. Valet mode locks the frunk and trunk and limits speed until a code is punched in. It does NOT require a code to simply drive, as no valet should be expected to remember codes for every car they are parking.

This is all fixable in software, thank goodness. So it's a matter of time and priorities, I hope.

Agreed. Lucid has no Valet Mode at the moment, whatever they want to call it. Valet mode locks the frunk and trunk and limits speed until a code is punched in. It does NOT require a code to simply drive, as no valet should be expected to remember codes for every car they are parking.

This is all fixable in software, thank goodness. So it's a matter of time and priorities, I hope.
You *can* tap the keycard on the mic to drive without a code, but I totally agree on the rest.

Back