Valet Parking

Great points and thoughts on here folks. Out of curiosity, anyone had their Lucid valet parked at an MGM resort in Vegas? Are those valet folks there perhaps more accustomed to Lucids'? I'm headed there next week! (MGM Grand)

Great points and thoughts on here folks. Out of curiosity, anyone had their Lucid valet parked at an MGM resort in Vegas? Are those valet folks there perhaps more accustomed to Lucids'? I'm headed there next week! (MGM Grand)
I’d say, Just bring your fob with you (put in a fresh battery!). Getting in and driving with the fob on the Air is no different than a Model S (pre-recent refresh that has the stupid screen shift control)

Actually, if you place the card on the "Y" above your head (& center) .. see photo, you don't need a pin, you'll be able to drive the car w/o FOB or phone.
View attachment 10611View attachment 10612

That said, IMO, the card is NOT a Valet card. It doesn't prevent anyone from opening the glovebox, trunk, or frunk.
This totally sucks. Valet=unable to safely leave anything in car. I will have to refuse valet parking at a valet parking only hotel. This should be an interesting weekend. What planet did the lucid engineers come from... Can't even lock the truck!

This totally sucks. Valet=unable to safely leave anything in car. I will have to refuse valet parking at a valet parking only hotel. This should be an interesting weekend. What planet did the lucid engineers come from... Can't even lock the truck!

I agree, mardin, just not quite so vehemently. It's a bitchin' car, but with miles of code. That said - yeah, a real valet mode seems pretty basic. Others have mentioned things like geo-fencing, speed limits, etc. Good ideas, but, for now, I'd be happy with just a frunk and glove compartment lock-out. Let's keep the thread going, and maybe our weight of clicks will move the issue up the list. As to the valet only parking, I had that experience a few weeks ago. Fortunately, the car being rather distinctive, they let me park it by the entrance. Good luck with that.

RE leaving stuff in the car:

I use the body-stash compartments below the funk floor or trunk floor. Lotta folk don't realize they are there until the corpses start to smell.

Valet mode would also be good for handing keys to family members. If I had the car and was in town, my brother's prom would have been an excellent night for him to take out the car with strict acceleration requirements. I have two more siblings in the pipeline. Eventually, my kids will want/need to take out the car, particularly if the only three options are: Air GT, Gravity, or Sapphire.

How would locking out the trunk with a valet mode help when the ski pass-through is not lockable? Perhaps locking the frunk and glove compartment would be better.

The frunk and glove compartment are all I ask for my car. With future production, an electronic or manual pass-through lock would allow the trunk to be added. Geo-fencing, speed limits, etc. would be nice, but let's keep it simple, for now.

I feel like glove and frunk would not be enough. For example, it’s theoretically possible that someone could buy something using Alexa and send it to their address. Yes, you’ll get notified about it but it’s now something you would have to deal with. Basically, anything Alexa has access to, you’re now giving someone access to that. A savvy person could use Alexa to get a lot of information about you. Locking the glovebox and frunk is great if your vehicle isn’t so software based but since it is, physical lock downs just aren’t enough.

I feel like glove and frunk would not be enough. For example, it’s theoretically possible that someone could buy something using Alexa and send it to their address. Yes, you’ll get notified about it but it’s now something you would have to deal with. Basically, anything Alexa has access to, you’re now giving someone access to that. A savvy person could use Alexa to get a lot of information about you. Locking the glovebox and frunk is great if your vehicle isn’t so software based but since it is, physical lock downs just aren’t enough.
Is this actually possible, julianevjourney, or is it theoretical? I'm all Apple, so, aside from Lucid interactions before CarPlay, I'm not familiar with Alexa. I know that when I order from Amazon, I need to log in. If it is, in fact, possible, then it certainly needs to be addressed. Thanks.

Is this actually possible, julianevjourney, or is it theoretical? I'm all Apple, so, aside from Lucid interactions before CarPlay, I'm not familiar with Alexa. I know that when I order from Amazon, I need to log in. If it is, in fact, possible, then it certainly needs to be addressed. Thanks.
When you setup Alexa in the car you connect the car to your Amazon account. So, it’s not like CarPlay which is completely through your phone. Your car itself is connected to your Amazon account. Therefore your car has full access to your Amazon account. Which is great unless you have someone driving your car who you don’t want to access your Amazon account. Because there is no valet mode that means they can do with Alexa the same things you can do. Get your order history, order items, turn things on/off in your home etc. Obviously to interact with things in your home they’d have to know what you named them but there are common names they could guess or maybe Alexa might even tell them if they ask the right question. The point being your car is connected vs. CarPlay which relies solely on your phone. Same for Spotify, Tidal, and all other apps in your car. Alexa is just the one that gives the most personal access. I could be wrong about this but I think even the built in nav can be used to see your destination history. These are all great things when used by you but not necessarily the case when used by someone else.

How would locking out the trunk with a valet mode help when the ski pass-through is not lockable? Perhaps locking the frunk and glove compartment would be better.
I agree, although the ski pass trough provides very limited access and is hidden anyway... But I have a few suggestions:

1. For lucid the easiest quick OTA fix would be in the display section to be able to turn off the glove box light on the welcome panel. Or to switch deactivate the button altogether temporarily. Should be a small programming effort (as was adding the trip button) and no one would be able to open the glove box unless they were very familiar with the car.
2. Both the frunk and the trunk have deep compartments that could be lockable. If it was gasoline powered car I would have no compunctions about drilling in a crossbar that's lockable over the top of the covers, or even a vertical from the base of the lower storage compartments to the hinged section of the top of the covers with a simple strap and padlock. If you prevent the pulling up both sides (even mechanically) this would prevent the opening of the deep wells without it being a complicated and obvious break-in.
I just carefully inspected the deep wells in both the frunk and the trunk and with out securing some kind of eyelet/tie down somewhere I can't see any way of doing it safely and wouldn't. Not a car you want to drill holes in especially above the battery. Perhaps lucid can think of some way of locking those lids to the lower compartments in the interim prior to being able lock out the front and the glove box with software fixes. I suppose some kind of epoxy glue under the carpet, however rudimentary, could be some some deterrent.

Meanwhile making that glove box button switchable, or even being able to turn the entire welcome screen off, or that lower panel off temporarily would keep those openings hidden ....all of them!!. Then cover the icons on the key fob that indicates press and hold for the frunk and this make our own temporary "valet key"

By law, some people have to keep some things in a lock box in a locked trunk or compartment. That puts them in legal jeopardy when they hand over a completely unsecured car unless they take everything out of the car before travel. Dumb situation to be stuck in for 150K.

When you setup Alexa in the car you connect the car to your Amazon account. So, it’s not like CarPlay which is completely through your phone. Your car itself is connected to your Amazon account. Therefore your car has full access to your Amazon account. Which is great unless you have someone driving your car who you don’t want to access your Amazon account. Because there is no valet mode that means they can do with Alexa the same things you can do. Get your order history, order items, turn things on/off in your home etc. Obviously to interact with things in your home they’d have to know what you named them but there are common names they could guess or maybe Alexa might even tell them if they ask the right question. The point being your car is connected vs. CarPlay which relies solely on your phone. Same for Spotify, Tidal, and all other apps in your car. Alexa is just the one that gives the most personal access. I could be wrong about this but I think even the built in nav can be used to see your destination history. These are all great things when used by you but not necessarily the case when used by someone else.
Whoa!! OK, add Alexa lock-out to the frunk and glovebox. Thanks.

One more thing to add, your car is just another device connected to your Amazon account. In my home I have some Sonos speakers and an Echo, and now my car, and they all show up as devices through the Alexa app. Any of my devices can now be used to interact with my Amazon account. It actually works great. I get notifications in my car, I turn on the lights in my home when I’m on the way home at night. I actually did an experiment with a friend of mine and had him get in the car with the fob vs the key card. I was also in the back seat without my mobile key. The main difference we saw was that when he used the key card he had to enter my code to drive. Other than that with either one he could load my profile, and fully interact with the car, which meant he now had full access to Alexa.

This car is just a big moving piece of software so there needs to be a way built into the car to secure the software or else given the right/wrong person given access to your car they could definitely access things you don’t want them to access.

Apologize for the vehemence. It's actually incredulity at the oversight... The night before my departure to valet parking only hotel.

I don't trust valet, if they curb your wheels, big chance you won't spot it until you get home..

Yes I have insurance, but not worth the extra premium when I'm already forking $180 a month

I don't trust valet, if they curb your wheels, big chance you won't spot it until you get home..

Yes I have insurance, but not worth the extra premium when I'm already forking $180 a month
I've had valet people tell me to not let them drive your car, particularly a nice car.

The insurance already kills me. A bump up in it from someone else's driving... I'd blow a gasket. $1,500 every six months is already outrageous.

Locking the frunk, trunk, and glovebox are not enough. Acceleration limiters, revoking valet card override of pin, and speed limiters plus the locking stuff would be the first step as a basis.

Geofence and harder problems can be shoved down the road.

If valet is your only option at a place, you can try what I did a few weeks back. We went up to a winery north of Napa and they only had valet parking. I told the valet that my fob battery is dead (it was not) and using my cell phone is the only way to get the car moving - which I'm obviously not going to hand over to him. He allowed me to park the car in the valet parking lot myself and I got a ride back on the golf cart.

PS: Before someone replies, yes I know that even with a dead fob battery, you can unlock the car. The valet does not know that.

When a valet is using the Lucid card do they need to lock the doors after they get out or will they lock automatically? Also, have others had an okay experience with valets using the card? Per this thread it seems an overly complicated process but I ask as I usually only carry my phone and the card, and try to remember to bring the fob if we're going somewhere with valet, but I'm going to forget at some point and want to make sure I describe the card process correctly to them. I'm inclined to tell them just to use the pin, which I've changed to an easy number, vs. having to describe to hold it up to the Y mic on the ceiling, but I'd also be interested to hear what others do.

Back