• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Turtle of Doom!

Sorry to hear of continuing Turtle mode issues for those who have experienced them and those who are worried about trusting the vehicle.

Here is a simple question for Lucid if you are watching. All of these vehicles have multiple motors so if a failure is associated with a single unit why not allow for the vehicle to operate on the other motor for a certain time or distance. I assume this is something that has been looked at but it would certainly reduce my anxiety if I knew this was part of the Turtle Mode strategy.
Each motor is in between one axle, so the front and rear are not actually connected to one another, unlike in a normal ICE car. If a motor locks up, the axle may not be able to turn, which would lock up a set of the wheels.

Over the decades, I have owned many cars, and they have never left me stranded
The internet is a wonderful thing. The internet is a terrible thing. You know about the turtle because you are on this forum. If you weren't, you would be happily driving your Air without a worry in the world. Don't know how many owner forums you've been on over the years but I find it hard to believe you didn't run into posts where people had cars die on them regardless of make/model. Every machine made experiences some failure rendering that device unusable on some scale. You've been fortunate that it has happened to other people and not you. But you are in the vast majority of people who don't experience a catastrophic issue (unless you bought a British car - seems like you were in the minority if you didn't suffer a major problem according to friends that owned some).

I hope I never experience a turtle event but I'm not going to live my life in fear of it and let it reduce my planned adventures in the Air.

If I had an engine failure on any one of my other cars, they would have diagnosed the problem by now, had parts on order, and a timeline to fix it.
Well, as others have posted, maybe they diagnose and order the parts but they might tell you it's whenever the parts arrive. @bunnylebowski has a subaru that waited months for a part. My daughter waited weeks for a part. So unless the part is readily available, even with ICE vehicles, a definitive timeline isn't going to be given. And just like when you have a rare disease, diagnosis of a rare or first of its kind can take a long time even with ICE vehicles. Pretty sure most of us have heard a story of a ICE car needing multiple trips to the shop before they figure out how to fix it.

As an owner, I never want to experience problems with my car but if it happens, I want them to take the time to find the cause and fix it. So far, that appears to be happening with Lucid.

And then what happens when that percentage they just told us goes up—or down—by a few percentage points a few weeks later?

For publicly traded companies, how and when they release information is very tricky business.
That's a bit circular: the public disclosure rules are couched in "materiality", and the assumption here is that the number of turtled cars is immaterial....if it's not, then the analysis obviously changes

Eventually, Lucid will be part of the JD Power rating on New Car Reliability. Until then, it's anybody's guess.

Here is a simple question for Lucid if you are watching. All of these vehicles have multiple motors so if a failure is associated with a single unit why not allow for the vehicle to operate on the other motor for a certain time or distance. I assume this is something that has been looked at but it would certainly reduce my anxiety if I knew this was part of the Turtle Mode strategy.
I requested and received a detailed engineering level description of my RDU failure. This was one of the questions I asked. I learned that the root cause of the failure was an internal manufacturing variance (defect?) in the bi-directional inverter on the RDU. This means that DC energy flows into (to move the wheels) and out of (regenerative braking) this component. Because this component can feed the battery pack and it was deemed unreliable at failure, the power was severely reduced to maintain the health of the battery pack (e.g., I speculate it could erroneously feed AC current back the battery pack if the AC to DC and/or DC to AC converter failed).

I didn't want the discussion to get into a design review, so we didn't get into whether a DU can be isolated/detached at failure to enable the other DU to take over. The conversation implied that this is not the case but I did not press the issue. I was reminded that the wheels attached to the bad DU still move when being loaded on a flatbed, possibly sending current back to the battery pack (so keeping it slow would presumably keep the possible erroneous current 'low enough').

I requested and received a detailed engineering level description of my RDU failure. This was one of the questions I asked. I learned that the root cause of the failure was an internal manufacturing variance (defect?) in the bi-directional inverter on the RDU. This means that DC energy flows into (to move the wheels) and out of (regenerative braking) this component. Because this component can feed the battery pack and it was deemed unreliable at failure, the power was severely reduced to maintain the health of the battery pack (e.g., I speculate it could erroneously feed AC current back the battery pack if the AC to DC and/or DC to AC converter failed).

I didn't want the discussion to get into a design review, so we didn't get into whether a DU can be isolated/detached at failure to enable the other DU to take over. The conversation implied that this is not the case but I did not press the issue. I was reminded that the wheels attached to the bad DU still move when being loaded on a flatbed, possibly sending current back to the battery pack (so keeping it slow would presumably keep the possible erroneous current 'low enough').
Makes sense that the car's computer protects the battery pack at all costs. It's one of the most expensive bits to replace. Thanks for the detailed info.

Do we know if this was the case with any of the other turtles we've seen?

Makes sense that the car's computer protects the battery pack at all costs. It's one of the most expensive bits to replace. Thanks for the detailed info.
It’s also ~the only one that can explode, so I’m very happy this is the thing it chooses to protect :)

Do we know if this was the case with any of the other turtles we've seen?
Only if the member is as pedantic as I am ;)

People think I am being unfair to Lucid. However, I am simply expecting a reliable car. I see both sides of this issue. I found this video to be interesting and informative.

I hope you are joking. I guess I don't think I should have to buy a backup vehicle simply because I purchased a Lucid Air. Further, what good does a second vehicle do me if the Lucid Air fails on the road?
I believe it's more like, every single car in the history of cars has had issues and break downs. So why go into this one any different. Just enjoy it and if it dies then deal with it at that time, but don't let the fear of a future possibility guide your decision and enjoyment of the here and now.

I hope you are joking. I guess I don't think I should have to buy a backup vehicle simply because I purchased a Lucid Air. Further, what good does a second vehicle do me if the Lucid Air fails on the road?
I don’t mean to be critical. But if in the unlikely event your Lucid fails on the road they will arrange a rental vehicle, and either transportation to that vehicle or transport that vehicle to you. If for some reason they didn’t offer that up front, insist on it and it will happen. Both times my vehicle went in for service for issues that did not disable the car, I was given a rental even though I had another car at home, because my wife needed that car. Land Rover, Mercedes, Cadillac, I don’t know man, I’m not any less scared of them.

So what exactly is the unique increased risk with the Lucid? Anxiety? The car doesn’t come with Xanax, but given my experiences with Lucid service I don’t think it needs to. While yes I wish it was the case that I wasn’t able to comment on Lucid service because I’d never needed them, I did not expect the vehicle to need zero service in the first year of ownership, and the service I’ve needed has been minor.

I don’t mean to be critical. But if in the unlikely event your Lucid fails on the road they will arrange a rental vehicle, and either transportation to that vehicle or transport that vehicle to you. If for some reason they didn’t offer that up front, insist on it and it will happen. Both times my vehicle went in for service for issues that did not disable the car, I was given a rental even though I had another car at home, because my wife needed that car. Land Rover, Mercedes, Cadillac, I don’t know man, I’m not any less scared of them.

So what exactly is the unique increased risk with the Lucid? Anxiety? The car doesn’t come with Xanax, but given my experiences with Lucid service I don’t think it needs to. While yes I wish it was the case that I wasn’t able to comment on Lucid service because I’d never needed them, I did not expect the vehicle to need zero service in the first year of ownership, and the service I’ve needed has been minor.
All prospective buyers have to decide what level of EV risk, and what level of Lucid risk, they're comfortable taking .

What's frustrating is that Lucid isn't forthcoming with enough facts for people to assess the latter.

All prospective buyers have to decide what level of EV risk, and what level of Lucid risk, they're comfortable taking .

What's frustrating is that Lucid isn't forthcoming with enough facts for people to assess the latter.
Rubbish. Is Lucid supposed to slap a warning label on every car saying “caution battery may fail for a few people and we don’t know why?”. Is Rivian warning everyone about the rare possibility of canopy glass cracking or tonneau cover closers failing or tire inflators breaking?

Which car company does tell customers of problems with their cars and risks of buying their vehicle for things that have not yet been made into a recall? Name one.

They’ve got their service # right there in the app, you call or text if there’s a problem. Every text I’ve sent requesting assistance has been replied to as quick as one minute and the longest was 90 minutes on a very busy day for them for a non-urgent issue. And they’ve got a good warranty and nearly all repairs I’ve heard of have been free. And they’ve got a mobile service team. But yeah I guess get frustrated cuz you Lucid didn’t warn you about the car? 🤦‍♂️ Where’s the the trout-slap emoji when I need it?

Rubbish. Is Lucid supposed to slap a warning label on every car saying “caution battery may fail for a few people and we don’t know why?”. Is Rivian warning everyone about the rare possibility of canopy glass cracking or tonneau cover closers failing or tire inflators breaking?

Which car company does tell customers of problems with their cars and risks of buying their vehicle for things that have not yet been made into a recall? Name one.

They’ve got their service # right there in the app, you call or text if there’s a problem. Every text I’ve sent requesting assistance has been replied to as quick as one minute and the longest was 90 minutes on a very busy day for them for a non-urgent issue. And they’ve got a good warranty and nearly all repairs I’ve heard of have been free. And they’ve got a mobile service team.
Have you worked in a business?...I'm not saying they should or shouldn't disclose, for what ever reasons motivate them...I'm just saying they aren't giving me the info I need to decide...without it, I won't buy...That's a calculus on their part, and one on mine.

As the Godfather said, "It's Just Business"...as opposed to emotion....

I don’t mean to be critical. But if in the unlikely event your Lucid fails on the road they will arrange a rental vehicle, and either transportation to that vehicle or transport that vehicle to you. If for some reason they didn’t offer that up front, insist on it and it will happen. \

This. Absolutely. Did. Not. Happen. See my multiple posts on "the car just died." And I insisted on it. So I think every prospective buyer of this car needs to know: that you might be up $h!it creek and NOT get any rental and have to arrange it yourself, go and get it yourself, and pay for it yourself. And hope you get reimbursed. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Again: they have been forthcoming. You are making assumptions about them not being forthcoming. They cannot tell you about a widespread problem that doesn’t exist.

Simply repeating something doesn’t make it true. If, at any point, it becomes a widespread or consistent issue, I have no doubt they will issue a recall, as they have before for even smaller issues that *were* widespread.

Have you worked in a business?...I'm not saying they should or shouldn't disclose, for what ever reasons motivate them...I'm just saying they aren't giving me the info I need to decide...without it, I won't buy...That's a calculus on their part, and one on mine.

As the Godfather said, "It's Just Business"...as opposed to emotion....
Okay, don’t buy.

Back