Turtle of Doom!

I am perplexed by this explanation. The standard ethernet connector is an RJ-45 which is quite secure, so it would be interesting to understand how the ethernet cables are connected.
With the exception of the service data port in the trunk, I don’t think these are your conventional RJ45s.

I am perplexed by this explanation. The standard ethernet connector is an RJ-45 which is quite secure, so it would be interesting to understand how the ethernet cables are connected.
There are plenty of locking industrial Ethernet connectors that Lucid could use.

The car kept crawling uphill slowly (if there is such thing in South Florida) so it was connected to the HV power but not allowing sufficient power to flow though. Lucid needs to review their current turtle mode logic. I do want to know what component lucid was protecting by entering turtle mode.

Not sure about this.
From what I've been reading here, usage of velcro, felt, and cable ties seems to be common with Lucid.
Locking connectors may be a tad too high tech;).
One more. Double sided tape has been used to hold down the plastic trim around the head lights vents in the hood.

One more. Double sided tape has been used to hold down the plastic trim around the head lights vents in the hood.
Perhaps, these fasteners are industrial-strength stuff and will have no problem holding components together for the life of the car.

Perhaps, these fasteners are industrial-strength stuff and will have no problem holding components together for the life of the car.
I dont know. I saw it on youtube in a credible review. But i dont remember the name. The tape was white and shun through cracks and the black plastic vent trim seemed to be prune to come loose and the reviewer commented on to be careful washing so the mitt wouldnt get caught in the trim ripping it loose.

One possible scenario: a loose crimp; suppose one or more of the eight wires doesn’t quite hit the contact right, or the insulation is torn, or any number of other possibilities.

I've been told the problem is the Rear Drive Unit (RDU). The RDU will be replaced this week and if all goes well, I should have the car back early next week.

This sounds horrifying. And why I’m in a Model S right now 😅. I really hope they get this figured out because for as few Lucids are out, there sure are enough of these 🐢 problems to ruin Lucid’s reputation before they even get up to speed.

So sorry you had to deal with this, Mike, and fingers crossed they can restore both your vehicle and your confidence in the Air.

This sounds horrifying. And why I’m in a Model S right now 😅. I really hope they get this figured out because for as few Lucids are out, there sure are enough of these 🐢 problems to ruin Lucid’s reputation before they even get up to speed.

So sorry you had to deal with this, Mike, and fingers crossed they can restore both your vehicle and your confidence in the Air.
Yep, because only Lucid has motor issues!

First day driving the Lucid to work had to do it because the Model Y's BMS vaulted meaning I can't charge the car.
They can see me in a week hopefully it's a 1 day repair.

I've asked for and received a detailed technical briefing of my repair. The root cause of the RDU failure was an internal failure within the inverter which has been attributed to a manufacturing variance (i.e., something was out of spec). The RDU is being shipped back to the factory for a post mortem to confirm.

Yep, because only Lucid has motor issues!

All this talk about other EV's having problems is just rationalizing. Saying "other cars can have issues too" does not excuse this.

These cars should not be failing, and what concerns me the most is that Lucid is not being transparent or proactive on the issue. There should be a recall, with Lucid inspecting the cars and addressing the issues. Over the decades, I have owned many cars, and they have never left me stranded. Lucid should be able to ensure their cars don't have these issues. It sounds like Minnesota Mike's lucky in that the car was fairly close to home, but the next person may not be so lucky.

All this talk about other EV's having problems is just rationalizing. Saying "other cars can have issues too" does not excuse this.

These cars should not be failing, and what concerns me the most is that Lucid is not being transparent or proactive on the issue. There should be a recall, with Lucid inspecting the cars and addressing the issues. Over the decades, I have owned many cars, and they have never left me stranded. Lucid should be able to ensure their cars don't have these issues. It sounds like Minnesota Mike's lucky in that the car was fairly close to home, but the next person may not be so lucky.
I never said it was okay for Lucid to have issues. It just appears that there are many individuals who somehow expect Lucid to be free of issues that have plagued car manufacturers foe decades. The most recent recall and previous 2 recalls and previous campaign show that Lucid has problems and will issue the correct actions when they believe the problems are widespread.

You are lucky that you have not been stranded in any of your previous vehicles, but anecdotes from other owners here show a different story with all sorts of vehicles, so again, it's not like Lucid is alone in that front. Personally, when I got stranded in my BMW 740iL in the carpool lane, I didn't go asking for BMW to issue a public statement about being stranded and the reason why it happened. There is a double standard here and that is my point.

A recall would require that there be a consistent issue; there hasn’t been a widespread consistent issue. When there is, like with the tow hook, they issue a recall.

A recall doesn’t mean “reinspect every car ever made for any potential problem it may or may not have.”

Also, every manufacturer has cars that fail. Our 2012 Kia Sorento had an engine recall that required a *complete* engine replacement. Of course, this recall only occurred after it was completely powerless and stranded on the highway, just like the Lucid 12v failures that have occurred.

Cars fail sometimes. To pretend otherwise is insane.

Love the lucid service team. Especially Taylor who was very helpful and understanding, She is working with the Riviera Lucid service center to address the problem. Hopefully they have a fix for this, as are no longer comfortable driving this car. I suspect something is telling the car there is not enough power left in the pack, even though we are at 95% SOC.
I’ve dealt with Taylor, she must cover the whole east coast? She was very responsive and helpful for an issue that was probably EAs fault.

A recall would require that there be a consistent issue; there hasn’t been a widespread consistent issue. When there is, like with the tow hook, they issue a recall.

A recall doesn’t mean “reinspect every car ever made for any potential problem it may or may not have.”

Also, every manufacturer has cars that fail. Our 2012 Kia Sorento had an engine recall that required a *complete* engine replacement. Of course, this recall only occurred after it was completely powerless and stranded on the highway, just like the Lucid 12v failures that have occurred.

Cars fail sometimes. To pretend otherwise is insane.
We need to start making excuses for Lucid. Cars don't just fail this way.

My 2019 Mercedes was in the shop 4 times in the first 8 months of ownership for airbag failure warning. The 4th time it was for the recall to replace the ECU that caused the problem, which they figured out finally. And then it was in the shop twice more for stalling. Once it died in a parking lot, the second time it died on 95 north in rush hour traffic. Turns out it was a bad gas cap design that could crack and suck air into the fuel system if it was turned just a little too tightly or if it was too cold outside. There were no excuses for any of that, just explanations and it took some time to figure out what went wrong, but Mercedes was committed to sorting it out and they finally did.

So that’s what Lucid is doing. Nobody is making excuses. There are some real problems, but they’re being identified and fixed for those who have them and hopefully improving the process for new owners. I have confidence they are able to identify and solve problems, aggravating though the experience may be for owners. They did just after all rebuild their entire software from scratch in less than a year in order to improve the vehicle experience/stability, so I do not expect that whatever issues there are with the HV/12v/WunderBox that they’re just going to happen to tons of owners over and over again and they’ll never figure it out or improve.

It seems you are quite miserable with the vehicle. Perhaps consider selling it so you can move on?

Back