Test Drive Release

Are you referring to your 21” wheels? Or is that your range estimate for 21” vs 19”?
That's on my 21" I also drive mainly in smooth mode fwiw

That's on my 21" I also drive mainly in smooth mode fwiw
Now I'm curious about how drive modes impact the miles/kwh? Since Smooth and Swift both don't impact the total power (vs. Sprint which unleashes all the fury) and there is a single speed transmission, I would expect no difference in mileage between Smooth and Swift. I believe the only differences in those two modes are the suspension, steering, and accelerator response. So in theory should be the same, right? I suppose Sprint mode would also be the same if on cruise control but perhaps even then Sprint might impact mileage given more hp being utilized??

I am at 3.1 city and 3.3 on long trips. The Florida concrete roads do not help. This is over 1700 miles.

I'm going to recalculate my road trip home on ABRP using 3.1

EDIT: Using updated figure of 3.1mi/kWh out of Grand Canyon ABRP has me arriving in Bluff, UT at 18%. Is this cutting it too close? Next charger is 60kw and is 48 miles away.

Last edited:
Now I'm curious about how drive modes impact the miles/kwh? Since Smooth and Swift both don't impact the total power (vs. Sprint which unleashes all the fury) and there is a single speed transmission, I would expect no difference in mileage between Smooth and Swift. I believe the only differences in those two modes are the suspension, steering, and accelerator response. So in theory should be the same, right? I suppose Sprint mode would also be the same if on cruise control but perhaps even then Sprint might impact mileage given more hp being utilized??
All modes will have worse mi/kWh if you don’t keep your foot out of it (hard to do at first).

The best way to think about it for me is that the drive modes mimic my mood. In smooth, I'm laid back no rush no fuss. In swift, I want to do more, get somewhere faster, and just more motivated to get moving. In Sprint, I have something to prove.

Massively. On this road trip in Smooth I’ve gotten about 3.5 avg, but my fiancée switched it to Swift at one point and didn’t tell me, and I was getting like 2.8 until I noticed haha.

The best way to think about it for me is that the drive modes mimic my mood. In smooth, I'm laid back no rush no fuss. In swift, I want to do more, get somewhere faster, and just more motivated to get moving. In Sprint, I have something to prove.

And boy, can you prove it.

Based strictly on my one hour test drive I did find the Swift mode preferable for me even just for "normal" driving in the city. Seemed to me the accelerator was a little more responsive and I found the ride quality just as nice as the Smooth mode. I'll hopefully find out more soon.

Massively. On this road trip in Smooth I’ve gotten about 3.5 avg, but my fiancée switched it to Swift at one point and didn’t tell me, and I was getting like 2.8 until I noticed haha.
Ok so there is a difference. I'm assuming your driving style while in Swift mode and thinking you were in Smooth mode was still relaxed and not aggressive? Or are you an aggressive driver in all modes (LOL)???

Ok so there is a difference. I'm assuming your driving style while in Swift mode and thinking you were in Smooth mode was still relaxed and not aggressive? Or are you an aggressive driver in all modes (LOL)???

Honestly, tend to have a pretty lead foot in general (can take the boy out of NYC, but not the NYC out of the boy), but in this case I was using ACC for a few hours in either case.

Honestly, tend to have a pretty lead foot in general (can take the boy out of NYC, but not the NYC out of the boy), but in this case I was using ACC for a few hours in either case.
I am like you so what are you getting as range these days with a lead foot?

But you don't look cool...
The only other reasons are extra sidewall to help with potholes here in the north east and slightly lower sound level. There are a few trade offs for sure. I would have gone for the 19s but the design is so uninspired.
The sidewalls are the big thing. After having auto park curb the 21” wheels and knowing it’s only a matter of time before they deny, long road trips get the 19” for sure. That said, I way prefer the 21” in terms of looks.

Ok, going to jump in with some thoughts on the wheels that have been percolating since my two test drives of them back-to-back. Note: I’m not an owner so this is compiled from about 3 hours of drives now, but iirc no one else on the forum did a test in close sequence yet.
  • The 19” wheels look better than you’d expect in person. They aren’t the best, for sure, but they’re good looking and don’t look overly small (unlike the 18’s on my previous car)
  • If you try the 21’s and then the 19’s back to back, you may be surprised at just how much smoother the ride is. It’s like your favorite stereo dialed down a few notches without losing any detail. For me, I love the detail, but I don’t want that constantly as it can become overwhelming on long drives.
  • For handling between the two of them, the 19’s are battle able to handle rougher roads due to the increased sidewall - it really makes a difference, especially on shitty roads like the 101. The narrower rear tires don’t make a huge difference either unless you’re really pushing it either. The 21’s stay more neutral when you push it on the way out of a turn, and the front tires are the same width so your turn entry is largely the same.
  • But the 21’s handle crap well enough that you’ll not crash over bumps, so this is more a comfort choice. They are also forged which makes me far less worried about bending a wheel (I’ve done this before on the 101).
  • I can’t speak to range here, but others have pointed out that the car charges so dang fast (even on a 150kw) that the range difference may not be that meaningful.
  • Last, curbing those wheels is a real concern. They are w i d e and you’re definitely at risk for a scrape or ten over the car’s lifetime. Forged they may be, they still don’t like kissing a curb!
My recommendation:
  1. If you like quiet, the extra 50mi of range, don’t care as much about looks and can give up about 5% of the handling go with the 19’s.
  2. If you like a bit more road feel, some pretty epic looking wheels, and don’t mind an extra 5-10min at chargers on a road trip go with the 21’s
  3. If you want a balance of the two and don’t mind a possible delay to delivery, get the 20’s

My recommendation:
  1. If you like quiet, the extra 50mi of range, don’t care as much about looks and can give up about 5% of the handling go with the 19’s.
  2. If you like a bit more road feel, some pretty epic looking wheels, and don’t mind an extra 5-10min at chargers on a road trip go with the 21’s
  3. If you want a balance of the two and don’t mind a possible delay to delivery, get the 20’s
thanks. wife and i discussed this and we decided to get the 21" now and switch over to 19" when our GT is little bit older and ready for a daily use.

any idea what the cost is for 21". i presume it's more costly.

If I recall correctly it’s in the 8k range +/-. If you’re going to get both, and the price difference doesn’t exist in the config, get the 21s and later add the 19s.

Back