Test Drive Release

Did a test drive today on a pre production GT. It was fun. The 21" looks so good in person. Now debating whether I should get the 21" and sacrifice the extra 50miles.
It’s funny, all my new vehicles I have chosen larger wheels. My Sierra Denali I put on 22’s and leveled (15 mpg, had to go), my MS I chose 21” wheels after extensively researching at the time on range reduction (nothing was concrete that I could find outside of “yea maybe a couple miles,” but can confirm a hefty reduction). This is the first car I chose with the smaller rims to maximize the potential of the car. Plus, 3rd party manufacturers will come out with wheels for this car at some point as well which may very well look nicer than the current 21’s. I have my test drive this afternoon so we will see how I feel after that!

It’s funny, all my new vehicles I have chosen larger wheels. My Sierra Denali I put on 22’s and leveled (15 mpg, had to go), my MS I chose 21” wheels after extensively researching at the time on range reduction (nothing was concrete that I could find outside of “yea maybe a couple miles,” but can confirm a hefty reduction). This is the first car I chose with the smaller rims to maximize the potential of the car. Plus, 3rd party manufacturers will come out with wheels for this car at some point as well which may very well look nicer than the current 21’s. I have my test drive this afternoon so we will see how I feel after that!
Enjoy the drive! I usually go for bigger wheels too but was surprised by just how nice the 19’s are to drive on.

Enjoy the drive! I usually go for bigger wheels too but was surprised by just how nice the 19’s are to drive on.
But you don't look cool...

Yes, yes you should, unless you live in area that needs snow tires, then no, unless you want to have 2 sets of rims and tires then yes, but then get the 21 and buy the 19s later
no snow in the bay area but we do get rain. my SA is going to investigate whether 21" would work well in rain. But yea, i might get the 21" and purchase the 19" later for longer road trips.

Go on YouTube and watch the video of the two guys driving in the rain on the LA canyon roads. Very aggressive driving and they mention how well the 21" tires handle the wet.

Go on YouTube and watch the video of the two guys driving in the rain on the LA canyon roads. Very aggressive driving and they mention how well the 21" tires handle the wet.
i have seen that. i just don't know if they had the car for a long duration to notice any effects of precipitation or driven a 19" to notice the difference in handling :shrug:

no snow in the bay area but we do get rain. my SA is going to investigate whether 21" would work well in rain. But yea, i might get the 21" and purchase the 19" later for longer road trips.
Depending on how "spirited" you drive in the rain, the 21" summer tires do quite well. I think it's because the car is 2.5 tons haha. Note, this was me driving in the most recent rain in Socal and previously in that torrential downpour we had right around Christmas. Handled excellently

Test drive was great! Pre-production version in millbrae but built out almost exactly as I chose (it had the 21” rims vs 19” like I ordered). For anyone interested, there are 5 dream edition vehicles ready for pickup in Millbrae currently. 2 white performance and 3 were under car covers being held at the owners request for now.

Lucid wants $4100 for the 19's. We were thinking of taking a long trip soon and was wondering if it made sense to buy and use the 19's.

Unless you are planning in road tripping in snow, I don't see the point of having 19s. The difference in range for the DEP is only 20 miles, even over a cross country road trip how much time are you saving? With DCFC, you are getting 20 miles of range in 1 minute of charging.

Unless you are planning in road tripping in snow, I don't see the point of having 19s. The difference in range for the DEP is only 20 miles, even over a cross country road trip how much time are you saving? With DCFC, you are getting 20 miles of range in 1 minute of charging.
The only other reasons are extra sidewall to help with potholes here in the north east and slightly lower sound level. There are a few trade offs for sure. I would have gone for the 19s but the design is so uninspired.

Test drive was great! Pre-production version in millbrae but built out almost exactly as I chose (it had the 21” rims vs 19” like I ordered). For anyone interested, there are 5 dream edition vehicles ready for pickup in Millbrae currently. 2 white performance and 3 were under car covers being held at the owners request for now.
Went for a test drive today also at Millbrae, it was great, the folks there are very positive and enthusiastic.:)

The GT has a range of 516miles with 19" vs 470 miles with 21". It's not a lot but not insignificant. Decisions decisions sigh.

The sidewalls are the big thing. After having auto park curb the 21” wheels and knowing it’s only a matter of time before they deny, long road trips get the 19” for sure. That said, I way prefer the 21” in terms of looks.

The sidewalls are the big thing. After having auto park curb the 21” wheels and knowing it’s only a matter of time before they deny, long road trips get the 19” for sure. That said, I way prefer the 21” in terms of looks.
Yea for us DE wheels are specific to the DE. Can always put 19 aftermarket on later.

Isn't that at 4.1 mi/kWh? Aren't owners averaging 3.0?
I believe that's because Lucid uses a different testing standard. They use the same standard as Tesla but the European manufacturers uses a more stringent testing so their estimated mileage is similar to real world. They both follow EPA guidelines but one is more realistic than the other. Owners on this forum estimate 70-80% of what's advertised.

I believe that's because Lucid uses a different testing standard. They use the same standard as Tesla but the European manufacturers uses a more stringent testing so their estimated mileage is similar to real world. They both follow EPA guidelines but one is more realistic than the other. Owners on this forum estimate 70-80% of what's advertised.

Which makes independent testing more important.

In my opinion the test results, at a standard 70 mph, will still produce unrealistically high returns. But at least this type of testing will give us some measure of confidence as to how one vehicle compares to another on range. Note that even with the lesser US DOT test methodology, the Lucid did really, really well.

I would say 2.8-3.0 for city driving and 3.2-3.4 for road tripping

Back