Tesla's Model 3 refresh: still behind but no longer a terrible car?

Love that there are no stalks. I don’t even think about stalks anymore, except when I drive my wife's car and then I think I am going back in time. Lol.
I agree with Hydbob. I think it is ridiculous the way car manufacturers keep changing controls that should be standard. I remember renting a PT Cruiser in San Diego many years ago and when I got to the gate I couldn't find the window controls -- Chrysler had put them in the center of the dash.

Add features all you want but leave alone those that should be standard across all car lines. On the other hand, it does appear that I may be the last human being who actually uses my turn signal.

I agree with Hydbob. I think it is ridiculous the way car manufacturers keep changing controls that should be standard. I remember renting a PT Cruiser in San Diego many years ago and when I got to the gate I couldn't find the window controls -- Chrysler had put them in the center of the dash.

Add features all you want but leave alone those that should be standard across all car lines. On the other hand, it does appear that I may be the last human being who actually uses my turn signal.
I don’t mind when a car company tries something new. Most things we think of as standard aren’t really truly standard. But whatever they change has to be better. I hate changes that make something clearly worse, but are done for obvious cost savings only.

I don’t mind when a car company tries something new. Most things we think of as standard aren’t really truly standard. But whatever they change has to be better. I hate changes that make something clearly worse, but are done for obvious cost savings only.
I think Lucid’s door opener trigger is a good example of changing something that was standard and making it better.

Back to Lucid: I'm very glad to have physical controls for the dash air vents. My wife never really got the hang of our Model 3's screen-operated vents. And they're dangerous to adjust while driving. Not a place to save money IMO.
Taking your eyes off the road for any reason is dangerous, having no driver dash, hud, or screen, or any information is downright dangerous.

It's sad to me that Elon can get away with calling it "future modernism" and people buy it and don't see that all he's doing is cutting cost.

Taking your eyes off the road for any reason is dangerous, having no driver dash, hud, or screen, or any information is downright dangerous.

It's sad to me that Elon can get away with calling it "future modernism" and people buy it and don't see that all he's doing is cutting cost.
I’m not sure I understand. Did Tesla remove a “driver dash, hud or screen”?

I see no issue with Tesla making the change and if results in lower priced EVs and more people moving away from ICE vehicles, I’m all for it. Big picture.

Our Rivian doesn’t have physical buttons for vents either, but it’s very intuitive and after the first time I haven’t had any issues. I almost never touch the physical AC buttons on my GT because auto syncing is more efficient.

I’m not sure I understand. Did Tesla remove a “driver dash, hud or screen”?

I see no issue with Tesla making the change and if results in lower priced EVs and more people moving away from ICE vehicles, I’m all for it. Big picture.

Our Rivian doesn’t have physical buttons for vents either, but it’s very intuitive and after the first time I haven’t had any issues. I almost never touch the physical AC buttons on my GT because auto syncing is more efficient.
The model 3 and Y have no driver binnacle. Only the massive screen in the center of the car; nothing directly in front of your eyes / the road. That’s the point; that’s what the 3/Y removed.

Ahh yes, remove the the stalk, put the drive controls on screen, but if the screen dies there is a backup..in the headliner...

The HEADLINER? They couldnt find a better place like in the model s/x?
besides, knowing tesla the headliner itself will probably fall off.. lol

The turn signal buttons on our 2021 Model S Plaid yoke are very poorly designed. They are the same black color as the yoke and difficult to locate visually when the yoke is off center and your hands are not in the usual position, such as when you're trying to activate the turn signal while going around a curve. Also, stacking them one above the other on the left side increases the difficulty. Ferrari did a much better job in placing the turn signal buttons on their respective sides of the yoke: left turn button on the left side, right turn button on the right side.

Stalks are a very useful way to put certain controls within a finger's reach of the steering wheel while not cluttering the wheel itself with too many controls. Just because something's been around for a long time doesn't mean it's outdated. It is more likely a sign of its enduring utility.

One of the things I like about our Air over our Tesla is its less gimmicky control layout, with things such as A/C temp, fan speeds, air vent aiming, volume controls, and gear selection being accessible by means other than a central screen, or in addition to it.
Totally disagree with you as I love the no stalks on my Model S and use them without even thinking. Such a clean look too. Going back to stalks in my wife’s car just seems odd. lol.

But hey - everyone is different so will end with that. 🙂

Totally disagree with you as I love the no stalks on my Model S and use them without even thinking. Such a clean look too. Going back to stalks in my wife’s car just seems odd. lol.

Have you thought about trying a Lucid? You might find its approach of integrating the advantages of screen controls with the advantages of some traditional controls to be more appealing than you think.

We have driven Teslas for eight years (2015 Model S P90D and 2021 Model S Plaid). I had resigned myself to the notion that Tesla's approach was coming to dominate the future. I can't tell you how much of a relief Lucid's approach to cabin controls was. It's one of the reasons that I almost never drive the Tesla anymore.

I
l'll repeat myself, maybe this time I'll get an answer:
"Why do you think that not having stalks is more intuitive than having them?"

Have you thought about trying a Lucid? You might find its approach of integrating the advantages of screen controls with the advantages of some traditional controls to be more appealing than you think.

We have driven Teslas for eight years (2015 Model S P90D and 2021 Model S Plaid). I had resigned myself to the notion that Tesla's approach was coming to dominate the future. I can't tell you how much of a relief Lucid's approach to cabin controls was. It's one of the reasons that I almost never drive the Tesla anymore.
I think about getting one every day. I really like the Lucid.

I
l'll repeat myself, maybe this time I'll get an answer:
"Why do you think that not having stalks is more intuitive than having them?"
Here's why it's a bad idea:

1. **Safety First**: Physical controls are easy to use without looking, making driving safer. Touchscreens can be distracting and less intuitive.

2. **Emergencies Matter**: In tough situations, like sudden lane changes, physical controls are quicker to access, ensuring a fast response.

3. **Muscle Memory**: We're used to using stocks without thinking. Removing them might mess with our habits and cause confusion.

4. **Accessibility**: Physical controls are better for people with disabilities or limited hand mobility.

5. **Reliability**: Stocks rarely fail, but touchscreens can glitch, causing problems.

6. **Rules and Regulations**: Vehicle rules often require physical controls for safety. Tesla's move might raise legal issues.

Let's talk about why ditching physical stocks is a step back in terms of intuitiveness.

Imagine this: You're driving, and you need to signal a turn or change gears. With stocks, it's a no-brainer - a flick of the wrist, a push or pull, and you're done. It's muscle memory for most of us.

Now, picture using a touchscreen for these tasks. You've got to navigate menus, tap precisely on icons, and take your eyes off the road to make sure you're hitting the right spots. That's not intuitive at all, especially when compared to the simplicity of stocks. Relying on technology to guess the states automatically for you is also a bit of a gamble and very risky in precise situations.

We're used to instant, tactile feedback from physical controls, and removing them could disrupt that familiarity. So, for the sake of ease and comfort, keeping those physical stocks makes a lot more sense and provides absoluteness and what you expect to happen.

“Innovation” is cool, but we should make sure it doesn't compromise safety, predictability and convenience.

1. **Safety First**: Physical controls are easy to use without looking, making driving safer. Touchscreens can be distracting and less intuitive.

2. **Emergencies Matter**: In tough situations, like sudden lane changes, physical controls are quicker to access, ensuring a fast response.

3. **Muscle Memory**: We're used to using stocks without thinking. Removing them might mess with our habits and cause confusion.

4. **Accessibility**: Physical controls are better for people with disabilities or limited hand mobility.

5. **Reliability**: Stocks rarely fail, but touchscreens can glitch, causing problems.

6. **Rules and Regulations**: Vehicle rules often require physical controls for safety. Tesla's move might raise legal issues.

Let's talk about why ditching physical stocks is a step back in terms of intuitiveness.

Imagine this: You're driving, and you need to signal a turn or change gears. With stocks, it's a no-brainer - a flick of the wrist, a push or pull, and you're done. It's muscle memory for most of us.

Now, picture using a touchscreen for these tasks. You've got to navigate menus, tap precisely on icons, and take your eyes off the road to make sure you're hitting the right spots. That's not intuitive at all, especially when compared to the simplicity of stocks. Relying on technology to guess the states automatically for you is also a bit of a gamble and very risky in precise situations.

We're used to instant, tactile feedback from physical controls, and removing them could disrupt that familiarity. So, for the sake of ease and comfort, keeping those physical stocks makes a lot more sense and provides absoluteness and what you expect to happen.

“Innovation” is cool, but we should make sure it doesn't compromise safety, predictability and convenience.
Excellent post.
Who would disagree with that?

After having the Yoke and no stalks for 18 months - I have 0 issues with what you stated above. And I have driven in all weather conditions too living in a snowy climate. (38,000 miles). Yoke and having touch controls are second nature and are a no brainer. I never look either. Actually think it is safer.

Your mind and hands get used to all those quickly. Would be hard to go back to normal steering wheel and stalks.

Excellent post.
Who would disagree with that?
Ha - I just did. People need to give it up.

And on the touchscreens Lucid has those too as do most cars now. I do agree those are dangerous as you do have to look over, but those have nothing to do with no stalks and the Yoke.

Get tired of the constant Tesla bashing on this forum. Not sure why some have to do that. I come here to learn about Lucid and learn from people’s experiences - not hear the constant negativity of Tesla. If I buy a Lucid Air - it won’t be because I dislike my Model S. 🙂

Last edited:
Ha - I just did. People need to give it up.

And on the touchscreens Lucid has those too as do most cars now. I do agree those are dangerous as you do have to look over, but those have nothing to do with no stalks and the Yoke.

Get tired of the constant Tesla bashing on this forum. Not sure why some have to do that. I come here to learn about Lucid and learn from people’s experiences - not hear the constant negativity of Tesla. If I buy a Lucid Air - it won’t be because I dislike my Model S. 🙂
I honestly wouldn’t say that we have any real Tesla bashing on these forums. Most of it is that we’re just not in the fanboy dayz and have owned EVs for a while, especially Teslas.

If you wanna see, real Tesla bashing, go to Reddit in https://reddit.com/r/RealTesla/.

Otherwise, there is a level of pragmatism that goes to adding criticism to Tesla. It’s also no surprise that it comes up in the majority of forms often considering Tesla stance and influence on the EV market. Given this is a post specifically about a Tesla product with controversial changes in it it should be no surprise of the conversation that happens here.

Personally, I’m tired of forums and auto maker companies referencing Tesla at all.

There was an interview recently where Peter specifically noted that OEMs need to stop obsessing over Tesla and I couldn’t agree more.

The model 3 and Y have no driver binnacle. Only the massive screen in the center of the car; nothing directly in front of your eyes / the road. That’s the point; that’s what the 3/Y removed.
Thanks, somehow I missed that. Yeah, it’s weird.

People nedo agree those are dangerous as you do have to look over, but those have nothing to do with no stalks and the Yoke.
Total bs. It's eather dangerous, or not.
It is dangerous, plain and simple.
It's not bashing Tesla. My wife drives model 3 and has a year and half on her lease. I showed her the new Model 3 without stalks, her reaction...never.
Tesla did another idiotic move, so be it. No more money from us.

Back