Tesla's Model 3 refresh: still behind but no longer a terrible car?

This begs the question of a consumer value proposition dilemma where the refreshed Model 3 will cannibalize their Model S sales, especially the non-plaid spec vehicle. An interesting move and interesting timing given minimal speculation of a refresh for the Model S.

That said, I love to see the enhancements to the Model 3 as this is progress and helps the entire EV segment. We all benefit when the bar is raised.
Well, in Europe the RHD model S/X isnt sold anymore, so thats irrelevant! For the US though, I do wonder..

I was happy to see Tesla's refresh of the Model 3 with a revised suspension, better sound dampening, and better interior materials. Possibly a tolerable car now for road trips. But it's still missing at least two features we use daily in our EVs: ultrasonic sensors and 360-degree parking cameras. I'm always surprised when people say that Tesla is a technology leader, when their cars are missing driver assistance features common on other midrange cars. Our Model 3 couldn't even handle GPS waypoints for its first two years, something every car nav has been able to manage since about 2005.
I understand that Musk decided that Tesla vision with just cameras is enough even for FSD in Model S. So, for me that is why Tesla is a non starter. I don't think they added a display in the new Model 3 in front of the steering wheel. Also a non starter for me.

This begs the question of a consumer value proposition dilemma where the refreshed Model 3 will cannibalize their Model S sales, especially the non-plaid spec vehicle. An interesting move and interesting timing given minimal speculation of a refresh for the Model S.

That said, I love to see the enhancements to the Model 3 as this is progress and helps the entire EV segment. We all benefit when the bar is raised.
I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla eventually drops the S altogether. They've already stopped selling that and the X in parts of the world due to low demand.

Maybe keep the Plaid around for bragging rights. But it's just not a focus for Tesla anymore. They make way too much money on the Y and 3.

The turn signal buttons on our 2021 Model S Plaid yoke are very poorly designed. They are the same black color as the yoke and difficult to locate visually when the yoke is off center and your hands are not in the usual position, such as when you're trying to activate the turn signal while going around a curve. Also, stacking them one above the other on the left side increases the difficulty. Ferrari did a much better job in placing the turn signal buttons on their respective sides of the yoke: left turn button on the left side, right turn button on the right side.

Stalks are a very useful way to put certain controls within a finger's reach of the steering wheel while not cluttering the wheel itself with too many controls. Just because something's been around for a long time doesn't mean it's outdated. It is more likely a sign of its enduring utility.

One of the things I like about our Air over our Tesla is its less gimmicky control layout, with things such as A/C temp, fan speeds, air vent aiming, volume controls, and gear selection being accessible by means other than a central screen, or in addition to it.
👍🙌

It's definitely better. I still can't get over the lack of stalks, or the turn signals on the same side, or the switching gears via a touchscreen...

But it's definitely better. I'll be curious to see how it holds up over time in terms of rattles and the like.
Throttle House just did a video on the cybertruck, and that's basically their new flagship car, and they said the ride, comfort, interior materials and rattles, etc.. The felt very cheap and unrefined for the price. So if that's the cybertruck, I can imagine not much more thinking went into the Model 3 refresh, so I wouldn't get my hopes up

Throttle House just did a video on the cybertruck, and that's basically their new flagship car, and they said the ride, comfort, interior materials and rattles, etc.. The felt very cheap and unrefined for the price. So if that's the cybertruck, I can imagine not much more thinking went into the Model 3 refresh, so I wouldn't get my hopes up
Yeah, it wouldn't take much to make the old Model 3 feel more premium. I think it's more of a "better than we were expecting" sort of reaction, as opposed to it actually being luxurious all of the sudden. I will reserve final judgement until I actually sit in one, though.

I will say the exterior improvements are most welcome. The 3 was never a pretty car, but it definitely looks better now.

Back