Tesla's Model 3 refresh: still behind but no longer a terrible car?

DeaneG

Verified Owner
Cars
Air GT, XC40 P8 EV
Referral Code
3OKY7YGA
I was happy to see Tesla's refresh of the Model 3 with a revised suspension, better sound dampening, and better interior materials. Possibly a tolerable car now for road trips. But it's still missing at least two features we use daily in our EVs: ultrasonic sensors and 360-degree parking cameras. I'm always surprised when people say that Tesla is a technology leader, when their cars are missing driver assistance features common on other midrange cars. Our Model 3 couldn't even handle GPS waypoints for its first two years, something every car nav has been able to manage since about 2005.

Last edited:
I was happy to see Tesla's refresh of the Model 3 with a revised suspension, better sound dampening, and better interior materials. Possibly a tolerable car now for road trips. But it's still missing features we use daily in our two EVs: ultrasonic sensors and 360-degree parking cameras. I'm always surprised when people say that Tesla is a technology leader, when their cars are missing driver assistance features common on other midrange cars. Our Model 3 couldn't even handle GPS waypoints for its first two years, something every car nav has been able to manage since about 2005.
It's also missing a turn signal stalk...

I actually think that for its segment, it is a very nice car. I just hate that it looks better, but more generic. The rear screen is nice for the price point..

I’d hoped for a lot more in that refresh. There was a small part of me that was worried I would regret the AGT purchase because Tesla was going to release a truly revised model three with a beautiful interior and significantly more powerful motors for the performance version. I was actually happy that it’s such a minor revision. It’s funny to me they spent time revising the suspension. I lowered mine about an inch with the springs and it was truly one of the most planted cars I’ve ever owned. That really didn’t seem to be an area that needed a lot of improvement. the pictures of the revised Interior suggest they could’ve spent more money and effort making it look like an entry-level luxury car.

... It’s funny to me they spent time revising the suspension. ...That really didn’t seem to be an area that needed a lot of improvement....
Our Model 3's ride was constantly jiggly, with a lot of transmitted road noise. It's one of the reasons we sold it and bought the Air. I guess we're GT people at heart.

Our Model 3's ride was constantly jiggly, with a lot of transmitted road noise. It's one of the reasons we sold it and bought the Air. I guess we're GT people at heart.
I went to much stiffer springs and swapped out the ultraturbine for 235/285 lightweight forged BC wheels. They were beautiful and the performance was great. But yeah, the road noise went from noticeable to loud when I added big sticky tires.

It's also missing a turn signal stalk...
Love that there are no stalks. I don’t even think about stalks anymore, except when I drive my wife's car and then I think I am going back in time. Lol.

I’ll be surprised if this thread is still here in 48 hours. Seems like every thread speaking of Tesla in particular - even when the appropriate forum such as this - gets locked by the mods 🙄

I’ve never driven a Model 3. It did seem kind of cheap when I looked at it in the dealership, but that was back when it wasn’t unusual for the 3 to be selling for like $60k. At $45K, its shortcomings would seem more palatable. This “Highland” iteration appears to address many of the shortcomings. Acoustic glass, RGB lighting, screen in the back, etc. it would seem the competition has forced Tesla’s hand to improving their offering. From what I’ve seen, I’m impressed.

I’d love to see Lucid come out with a Model 3 or Y equivalent (lower price point) to help with general interest and sales. Unfortunately it seems that Kia/Hyundai/Genesis are occupying that spot as a 3/Y competitor now.

Love that there are no stalks. I don’t even think about stalks anymore, except when I drive my wife's car and then I think I am going back in time. Lol.
Almost there reviewer I've seen who talks about the haptic controls for turn signals say it's very unreliable and they wish it was a button instead of a haptic feedback.

So in situations where you think you signaled, but didn't, stalks are most highly welcome

I’ll be surprised if this thread is still here in 48 hours. Seems like every thread speaking of Tesla in particular - even when the appropriate forum such as this - gets locked by the mods 🙄
That is a bit unfair. Threads get locked when they become Tesla bashing, Elon trashing or do not have any relevance to a Lucid forum. So far this one has been okay.

The turn signal buttons on our 2021 Model S Plaid yoke are very poorly designed. They are the same black color as the yoke and difficult to locate visually when the yoke is off center and your hands are not in the usual position, such as when you're trying to activate the turn signal while going around a curve. Also, stacking them one above the other on the left side increases the difficulty. Ferrari did a much better job in placing the turn signal buttons on their respective sides of the yoke: left turn button on the left side, right turn button on the right side.

Stalks are a very useful way to put certain controls within a finger's reach of the steering wheel while not cluttering the wheel itself with too many controls. Just because something's been around for a long time doesn't mean it's outdated. It is more likely a sign of its enduring utility.

One of the things I like about our Air over our Tesla is its less gimmicky control layout, with things such as A/C temp, fan speeds, air vent aiming, volume controls, and gear selection being accessible by means other than a central screen, or in addition to it.

Why do you think that not having stalks is more intuitive than having them?

Getting rid of stalks is a big mistake. Also, still no instrument panel in fornt of the driver and sound and suspension improvements are minor. Definetly a better car but not luxury. No ultrasonic sensors, no surround camera. I bet you the tesla fanboys will hype this up a lot!!

Yea. Heading towards a locking. Fair warning

@hydbob wqs spot on. It's all about cost cutting and cost saving. Removing the stalks means less money on plastic and whatever else.

Back to Lucid: I'm very glad to have physical controls for the dash air vents. My wife never really got the hang of our Model 3's screen-operated vents. And they're dangerous to adjust while driving. Not a place to save money IMO.

Back