hmp10

Founding Member
Verified Owner
Cars
Model S Plaid, Odyssey
DE Number
Referral Code
033M4EXG
My brother is a huge EV fan who follows innumerable sources about the industry and its cars. He has a 2018 Tesla Model 3, admires what Musk has done with Tesla but worries about his growing megalomania and bizarre behavior, and mostly loves his Model 3. It was my brother who first told me about a fledgling company called Lucid Motors and encouraged me to become an early reservation holder in 2018.

He just came down from Atlanta to sit our house for 2 weeks while we traveled, and he was beside himself with anticipation at getting to drive our Model S Plaid and our Lucid Air Dream Performance for extended periods.

His verdict at the end of two weeks: he likes some things more about the Plaid, but the Lucid is the car he would want, primarily because of its chassis and suspension setup. Potholes are consuming the streets and highways in Atlanta, and he finds his Model 3 has become a bone shaker. He has been planning to buy a Model Y but was holding off until (he hoped) Tesla introduces an air suspension for it. (Sandy Munro claims to have spotted mounts for air suspension components in the wheel wells of the Model Y.)

He thought the air suspension in the Model S would address the issue. Instead, he was taken aback by how much more compliant and more planted the suspension in the Air was.

As is somewhat the case with me, he found Tesla's software to be in much finer fettle than Lucid's. Unlike me, he found the steering yoke tolerable but still concluded after two weeks with it that he would never come to prefer it over a steering wheel.

He was amazed at how much better a job Lucid did of interior packaging than Tesla did with an identically-sized sedan and readily admitted the Lucid's interior materials, styling, and fit and finish were on a different plane altogether than the Tesla's. However, both cars are out of his price range, so these things are of only academic concern to him.

What he was really hoping to find was that the Plaid would convince him that the Model Y could be the car he wants next if it acquires an air suspension. The comparison of what Lucid has done with its coil spring suspension versus what Tesla has done with an air suspension convinced him he will need to look beyond Tesla for his next EV.

Last edited:
I was going to say a Pure would really not be that much more than a Y, but now looking at the post-increase price it’s about $20k higher now (with likely loss of the federal tax credit :( )

I was going to say a Pure would really not be that much more than a Y, but now looking at the post-increase price it’s about $20k higher now (with likely loss of the federal tax credit :( )

I'm trying to convince him to consider a Pure. I've offered to pay the difference, but I've bought two cars for him over the years and he is reluctant for me to pitch in again, plus he's a bit concerned about what the delivery issues at Lucid might auger for its future. I'm hoping time will remove both concerns for him and he ends up with a Lucid.

I'm trying to convince him to consider a Pure. I've offered to pay the difference, but I've bought two cars for him over the years and he is reluctant for me to pitch in again, plus he's a bit concerned about what the delivery issues at Lucid might auger for its future. I'm hoping time will remove both concerns for him and he ends up with a Lucid.
I wish I were your brother.

Nice write up!

Really not sure what he would get that would be better than the Y in today’s market place? Maybe the Ford Mach E? Even then I would go with the Tesla Y. Funny, as I will have a hard time going back to a normal steering, as I love the Yoke.

Nice write up!

Really not sure what he would get that would be better than the Y in today’s market place? Maybe the Ford Mach E? Even then I would go with the Tesla Y. Funny, as I will have a hard time going back to a normal steering, as I love the Yoke.
Ioniq 5, EV6, ID4, GV70

Ioniq 5, EV6, ID4, GV70
I'd throw in Volvo's XC40, C40, and the Polestar 2 as considerations. They have their own unique character. Love our 400hp XC40 EV.

My brother is a huge EV fan who follows innumerable sources about the industry and its cars. He has a 2018 Tesla Model 3, admires what Musk has done with Tesla but worries about his growing megalomania and bizarre behavior, and mostly loves his Model 3. It was my brother who first told me about a fledgling company called Lucid Motors and encouraged me to become an early reservation holder in 2018.

He just came down from Atlanta to sit our house for 2 weeks while we traveled, and he was beside himself with anticipation at getting to drive our Model S Plaid and our Lucid Air Dream Performance for extended periods.

His verdict at the end of two weeks: he likes some things more about the Plaid, but the Lucid is the car he would want, primarily because of its chassis and suspension setup. Potholes are consuming the streets and highways in Atlanta, and he finds his Model 3 has become a bone shaker. He has been planning to buy a Model Y but was holding off until (he hoped) Tesla introduces an air suspension for it. (Sandy Munro claims to have spotted mounts for air suspension components in the wheel wells of the Model Y.)

He thought the air suspension in the Model S would address the issue. Instead, he was taken aback by how much more compliant and more planted the suspension in the Air was.

As is somewhat the case with me, he found Tesla's software to be in much finer fettle than Lucid's. Unlike me, he found the steering yoke tolerable but still concluded after two weeks with it that he would never come to prefer it over a steering wheel.

He was amazed at how much better a job Lucid did of interior packaging than Tesla did with an identically-sized sedan and readily admitted the Lucid's interior materials, styling, and fit and finish were on a different plane altogether than the Tesla's. However, both cars are out of his price range, so these things are of only academic concern to him.

What he was really hoping to find was that the Plaid would convince him that the Model Y could be the car he wants next if it acquires an air suspension. The comparison of what Lucid has done with its coil spring suspension versus what Tesla has done with an air suspension convinced him he will need to look beyond Tesla for his next EV.
Very thoughtful write up. You offer an insightful perspective into the world of EV adopters. Many of us forget how much of a significant financial jump it currently is, and as one who is transitioning from supporting kids to siblings, that factor is also personally relevant. Really love that in the end your brother essentially found that the suspension was the compelling difference. I’ve only owned my Air for 2 days, but coming from a recent model 3, I completely agree.

When I was debating getting a Lucid, the spring suspension was one of my largest concerns. After my test drive I understood the genius of the design. In 5 years of my Panamera ownership I can count on 1 hand the amount of times that I raised the air suspension to go into a driveway. Air suspension is a cool parlor trick, but I doubt I will miss it.

Ioniq 5, EV6, ID4, GV70

I have friends, one with a Mustang Mach-E and the other with an ID.4. They absolutely love their cars.

I haven't been in the Mustang yet, but the ID.4 is unbelievably roomy and comfortable on the inside, even for its relatively large size.

On another note, we just got back from Iceland. There were EV's everywhere, mostly in Reykjavik but also a surprising number in remote areas of the north and west. Most were Teslas (there is a large dealership in Reykjavik), and most of those were Model 3's, but we saw EV6's and Ioniq 5's (including both used as taxis), VW ID.3's, and even a Mustang Mach-E.

Iceland imposes a very high purchase tax on cars, and it uses that margin to offer heavy purchase tax reductions for EVs such that their net cost to owners is lower than equivalent ICE vehicles. The government also sponsors charging stations which are dotted around the country and are now beginning to show up at outlets of Netti and Okran, the two big gas/convenience store chains.

Given that 90% of Iceland's electricity is generated by hydro and the rest by geothermal, they are making good use of their low electricity cost and its low environmental impact.

... Air suspension is a cool parlor trick, but I doubt I will miss it.
We made good use of air suspension on a 1990 LS400. Above about 75mph, the car would lower itself an inch or so, improving fuel economy. For non-trucks, air suspension is really just for these kind of edge cases - lowering a sedan, raising sports car, or raising a vehicle while driving in heavy snow. Trucks have the first-order needs to level the vehicle with cargo (load) changes, drive over rough terrain, etc.

When I was debating getting a Lucid, the spring suspension was one of my largest concerns. After my test drive I understood the genius of the design. In 5 years of my Panamera ownership I can count on 1 hand the amount of times that I raised the air suspension to go into a driveway. Air suspension is a cool parlor trick, but I doubt I will miss it.

On the other hand I used the air suspension on my Panamera hundreds of times. Every time I parked and came up to a curb I used it. Every time there was a big dip in the road from a parking lot to the street. Etc. Etc.

I have to be extra careful with my Lucid. It does help that it tells me how many inches I am away from a curb, but the air suspension was a definite plus. As far as driving, the spring suspension is great though.

Maybe the roads and curbs are better where you live than here in Oregon

On the other hand I used the air suspension on my Panamera hundreds of times. Every time I parked and came up to a curb I used it. Every time there was a big dip in the road from a parking lot to the street. Etc. Etc.

I have to be extra careful with my Lucid. It does help that it tells me how many inches I am away from a curb, but the air suspension was a definite plus. As far as driving, the spring suspension is great though.

One thing I just noticed is that when I park the Lucid at an angle the front sensors are measuring from the center of the bumper so the warning about how many inches away you are is not accurate - the corner of the front that is coming in first will hit before the front sensors tell you to stop. Just barely missed hitting so thought I’d warn folks.

One thing I just noticed is that when I park the Lucid at an angle the front sensors are measuring from the center of the bumper so the warning about how many inches away you are is not accurate - the corner of the front that is coming in first will hit before the front sensors tell you to stop. Just barely missed hitting so thought I’d warn folks.
That sounds like something that could be fixed in software - show the minimum sensor distance, not the bumper center sensor distance.

Our roads are definitely better than in Oregon. Not a bad trade off for the good quality of life though.

I have friends, one with a Mustang Mach-E and the other with an ID.4. They absolutely love their cars.

I haven't been in the Mustang yet, but the ID.4 is unbelievably roomy and comfortable on the inside, even for its relatively large size.
I haven’t met a person who doesn’t like their EV yet regardless the brand.

Back