Tesla / Lucid Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybertruck

Closed Account
Cars
Tesla model S
Tesla owner here, let me share my experience.

I recently visited a lucid showroom and wanted to see what Lucid owners are experiencing and found this forum. First and foremost, I have a 2013 Model S, it’s been my best car (my previous was a Lexus LS460 $90k), the Model S was and still is several leagues above the Lexus 460 in performance, reliability, and especially software. As far as the software goes, there has been some miner issues that were easily fixed with an update. Issues such as internet connectivity where the music doesn’t play does occur once a year, but Tesla is on it the minute it happens, within 2-3 days my software issues become a nonissue, longest I’ve had to wait was 2 weeks for software to resolve itself. My door handles work every time, battery charge lock trunk, frunk (100% works every time), Bluetooth car key never fails unless no internet connectivity. This is evident in 2018 when Consumer Reports stated that the Tesla Model 3 doesn’t brake quick enough, over the weekend Tesla got to work and released an update (problem solved). The infotainment is smooth in my 2013, but even smoother in my 2019… My experience with Tesla has been so terrific in terms of ownership that my family also owns two model 3s both in white, and I currently have the Cybertruck on order. And within 2-3 years after receiving my Cybertruck I plan on purchasing the $200k Roadster. As far as autopilot, I trust it enough to use it whenever I can, it’s truly a de-stressor when you drive with autopilot, it really makes the trip easier on the mind and body. The greatest advantage is no range anxiety as charging is everywhere (installing this is harder said than done, just look at how many Porsche or VW has installed, barely any….). In short, Tesla ownership is like the iPhone ownership, I’m a fan of both for life. Tesla didn’t just sell over 930,000 vehicles in 2021 because they’re mediocre, they’re now Britain’s top selling car (gas or EV, they’re #1), and that speaks volumes. Let the numbers speak for themselves, whether it be in Europe or China, Teslas are flying off the shelf and the wait time is LONG. As a fan of EVs, let me give enthusiasts a warning.

The top issue concerning any new EV company isn’t just software, it’s the batteries! This is by far the most expensive component of the car. After 8 years of the Model S, my batteries have only lost 7% charge, which is mind blowing! And they’re doing this with the old 18650 batteries, today the 2100 is even better! Just wait until the 4800 batteries come out and you’ll really see several step up in performance. The reason Tesla’s batteries have world class reliability is in the way they packs it, the way they designs it’s thermal management and charging system. Tesla makes it look easy, but in fact this it’s by far the trickiest part of designing an EV. Just look at the Bolt and how many cars they’ve sold (tons), but their batteries were recently deemed unsafe and will face massive recalls due to it catching on fire and now GM has halted production. How about Porsche? Similar story, recently a Porsche engineer who is a whistleblower spoke out and stated that Porsche is also suffering from battery and fire issues (you can Google it).

How about other companies? Consumer Reports picked up a Fisker Karma (great looking car), but mired by software issues and ended up dying on the road during CR test drive, game over (Fisker went bankrupt shortly after). Long story short, I wish Lucid luck, and I hope they do well, but I would not pick one up unless Lucid can prove itself for the next 2-3 years as a reliable car maker. Making a few dozen cars is easy, becoming profitable is the hardest part, and this is where every EV maker aside from Tesla will struggle. Battery longevity and durability issues won’t reveal itself until 2-3 years down the road, will Lucid overcome this hurdle, or will they have to recall every car, halt production and end up like Fisker? Look no further than Delorean, great looking car, mired with issues, they produced 9,000 cars and still went bankrupt. In the past 100 years dozens of car companies have gone bankrupt, it’s absolutely a nightmare of a business dealing with the hardware, add in the complexity of software and it becomes that much harder. This is why I’m a fan of Tesla, what they’re doing isn’t by luck, Musk is a rocket scientist and has the best team of engineers at his disposal, which is why theyre able to create the Octavalve (SpaceX and Tesla collaboration). And guess where the #1 and #2 top picks for engineering students across Universities and Ivy League wants to work at (SpaceX and tesla respectively)?So while I wish Lucid luck, I would not bash Tesla, especially when the best of the best ends up working there, while everyone else gets leftovers. Again, I wish Lucid success as this business is HARD, and I want to see American car companies thrive. But this is no cakewalk guys, if you’re “hoping” issues will resolve itself a few months down the road, you may be in for a unpleasant surprise. Wait it out and see where the tech goes, it’s an expensive purchase, and I would not roll the dice base on hope. VW had months if not years to get their software together in the ID3, that car too, is mired with issues.
Best.

I recently visited a lucid showroom and wanted to see what Lucid owners are experiencing and found this forum. First and foremost, I have a 2013 Model S, it’s been my best car (my previous was a Lexus LS460 $90k), the Model S was and still is several leagues above the Lexus 460 in performance, reliability, and especially software. As far as the software goes, there has been some miner issues that were easily fixed with an update. Issues such as internet connectivity where the music doesn’t play does occur once a year, but Tesla is on it the minute it happens, within 2-3 days my software issues become a nonissue, longest I’ve had to wait was 2 weeks for software to resolve itself. My door handles work every time, battery charge lock trunk, frunk (100% works every time), Bluetooth car key never fails unless no internet connectivity. This is evident in 2018 when Consumer Reports stated that the Tesla Model 3 doesn’t brake quick enough, over the weekend Tesla got to work and released an update (problem solved). The infotainment is smooth in my 2013, but even smoother in my 2019… My experience with Tesla has been so terrific in terms of ownership that my family also owns two model 3s both in white, and I currently have the Cybertruck on order. And within 2-3 years after receiving my Cybertruck I plan on purchasing the $200k Roadster. As far as autopilot, I trust it enough to use it whenever I can, it’s truly a de-stressor when you drive with autopilot, it really makes the trip easier on the mind and body. The greatest advantage is no range anxiety as charging is everywhere (installing this is harder said than done, just look at how many Porsche or VW has installed, barely any….). In short, Tesla ownership is like the iPhone ownership, I’m a fan of both for life. Tesla didn’t just sell over 930,000 vehicles in 2021 because they’re mediocre, they’re now Britain’s top selling car (gas or EV, they’re #1), and that speaks volumes. Let the numbers speak for themselves, whether it be in Europe or China, Teslas are flying off the shelf and the wait time is LONG. As a fan of EVs, let me give enthusiasts a warning.

The top issue concerning any new EV company isn’t just software, it’s the batteries! This is by far the most expensive component of the car. After 8 years of the Model S, my batteries have only lost 7% charge, which is mind blowing! And they’re doing this with the old 18650 batteries, today the 2100 is even better! Just wait until the 4800 batteries come out and you’ll really see several step up in performance. The reason Tesla’s batteries have world class reliability is in the way they packs it, the way they designs it’s thermal management and charging system. Tesla makes it look easy, but in fact this it’s by far the trickiest part of designing an EV. Just look at the Bolt and how many cars they’ve sold (tons), but their batteries were recently deemed unsafe and will face massive recalls due to it catching on fire and now GM has halted production. How about Porsche? Similar story, recently a Porsche engineer who is a whistleblower spoke out and stated that Porsche is also suffering from battery and fire issues (you can Google it).

How about other companies? Consumer Reports picked up a Fisker Karma (great looking car), but mired by software issues and ended up dying on the road during CR test drive, game over (Fisker went bankrupt shortly after). Long story short, I wish Lucid luck, and I hope they do well, but I would not pick one up unless Lucid can prove itself for the next 2-3 years as a reliable car maker. Making a few dozen cars is easy, becoming profitable is the hardest part, and this is where every EV maker aside from Tesla will struggle. Battery longevity and durability issues won’t reveal itself until 2-3 years down the road, will Lucid overcome this hurdle, or will they have to recall every car, halt production and end up like Fisker? Look no further than Delorean, great looking car, mired with issues, they produced 9,000 cars and still went bankrupt. In the past 100 years dozens of car companies have gone bankrupt, it’s absolutely a nightmare of a business dealing with the hardware, add in the complexity of software and it becomes that much harder. This is why I’m a fan of Tesla, what they’re doing isn’t by luck, Musk is a rocket scientist and has the best team of engineers at his disposal, which is why theyre able to create the Octavalve (SpaceX and Tesla collaboration). And guess where the #1 and #2 top picks for engineering students across Universities and Ivy League wants to work at (SpaceX and tesla respectively)?So while I wish Lucid luck, I would not bash Tesla, especially when the best of the best ends up working there, while everyone else gets leftovers. Again, I wish Lucid success as this business is HARD, and I want to see American car companies thrive. But this is no cakewalk guys, if you’re “hoping” issues will resolve itself a few months down the road, you may be in for a unpleasant surprise. Wait it out and see where the tech goes, it’s an expensive purchase, and I would not roll the dice base on hope. VW had months if not years to get their software together in the ID3, that car too, is mired with issues.
Best.

I like Tesla but let's be realistic here, Tesla is far from perfect. I've been in a Model 3 multiple times where the screen has just died and the hard reset on the steering wheel didn't work. It took multiple attempts of getting in and out of the car in order to get the car to force reset the system. You failed to mention the recall of 400,000+ Teslas and numerous build quality issues that Tesla has experienced over the years to get them to where they are today. It's a bit rich for you to say your door handles and frunk work when Tesla shipped out cars with no USB ports due to the parts shortage and just decided to fit them when they arrived.

Tesla's biggest asset is the charging network and to date, no one has been able to compete on how seamless it is to charge the car and navigation integration. Autopilot is one of the better Level 2 systems i've used but again you can't praise it without admitting it's still got some kinks in the system. Credit where credit is due, Tesla has done an amazing job to get to where they are today but at least admit they're not perfect either.

Long story short, I wish Lucid luck, and I hope they do well, but I would not pick one up unless Lucid can prove itself for the next 2-3 years as a reliable car maker. Making a few dozen cars is easy, becoming profitable is the hardest part, and this is where every EV maker aside from Tesla will struggle.
With all due respect, you would not own your 2013 Model S if all of us early adopters had this attitude.

I like Tesla but let's be realistic here, Tesla is far from perfect. I've been in a Model 3 multiple times where the screen has just died and the hard reset on the steering wheel didn't work. It took multiple attempts of getting in and out of the car in order to get the car to force reset the system. You failed to mention the recall of 400,000+ Teslas and numerous build quality issues that Tesla has experienced over the years to get them to where they are today. It's a bit rich for you to say your door handles and frunk work when Tesla shipped out cars with no USB ports due to the parts shortage and just decided to fit them when they arrived.

Tesla's biggest asset is the charging network and to date, no one has been able to compete on how seamless it is to charge the car and navigation integration. Autopilot is one of the better Level 2 systems i've used but again you can't praise it without admitting it's still got some kinks in the system. Credit where credit is due, Tesla has done an amazing job to get to where they are today but at least admit they're not perfect either.

I agree you won’t find a perfect car, or a perfect house, or a perfect spouse. But let me say this, the car business is HARD, and you definitely won’t find perfection in Lucid with this type of start. But let’s put the facts out there, which car company has won the top spot for customer satisfaction four years in a row? It’s tesla, here’s the survey by consumer reports:

Tesla scored an 88, and beat out Porsche in year 1, while an 88 isn’t a perfect score, the next in line is 78, and you have to ask yourself if Lucid was surveyed today, next month, next year, where will they be? Buying a car is a big purchase, I’m the type that looks at data and goes with the proven champ. While also love the iPhone, it’s not perfect but it works as designed and makes my life easier. My favorite thing about tesla are it’s super chargers, the #1 problem for EV owners is charging, long trips and range anxiety. No such issues here with Tesla.

I agree you won’t find a perfect car, or a perfect house, or a perfect spouse. But let me say this, the car business is HARD, and you definitely won’t find perfection in Lucid with this type of start. But let’s put the facts out there, which car company has won the top spot for customer satisfaction four years in a row? It’s tesla, here’s the survey by consumer reports:

Tesla scored an 88, and beat out Porsche in year 1, while an 88 isn’t a perfect score, the next in line is 78, and you have to ask yourself if Lucid was surveyed today, next month, next year, where will they be? Buying a car is a big purchase, I’m the type that looks at data and goes with the proven champ. While also love the iPhone, it’s not perfect but it works as designed and makes my life easier. My favorite thing about tesla are it’s super chargers, the #1 problem for EV owners is charging, long trips and range anxiety. No such issues here with Tesla.
I maybe wrong here, but don't the Lucid and Tesla share the same battery supplier for some of their models? I know hmp said the Dreams use the Samsung cells, but aren't the rest using the LG Chem cells? The exact same ones used in all of Teslas current models?

Best.

I think 90% of the people on here currently own or previously owned a Tesla. Most of us understand the trade-offs of a new EV startup, but most of us are also here because Tesla did not meet our needs. Tesla is a great company and truly started the EV revolution. But they have a lot of work to do and seem to be focusing on sales volume and marketing features or functionality that isn't realistic (FSD for example) or isn't necessary (the Yoke).

Looks like the Tesla fans are going to start hitting the forums now that Lucid is generating a lot of press. Same thing happened over on the Taycan forum. People literally sign up and post pro-Tesla, Anti-Porsche content constantly with no real interest in ever owning a Taycan.

I’m sure if the Model 3 was surveyed within the first few months of being released the scores would be drastically different to where they are today. That car was plagued with quality issues which is probably a result of building them in a tent

I’m missing the point of your posts. Is it to rave about your Tesla, throw cold water on Lucid or just troll? BTW, the front passenger door on my late 2017 MS failed 3 days after I received it. I also had numerous software issues that were never resolved…as in never.

With all due respect, you would not own your 2013 Model S if all of us early adopters had this attitude.

I agree, back then there were zero EVs on the road, one had to roll the dice for the sake of the environment. Today, there are options. Although the decision was difficult for early adopters to purchase a 2013 Model S in the early days, one thing that got a few people to finalize their order was Elon Musk. A proven executive who was co-founder of PayPal, and a rocket scientist from SpaceX. As stated in my earlier post, if one has the means to roll the dice, then do it despite the uncertainty. If one is licking a car to win for life, do your due diligence.

He’s just in here to troll. Named himself Cybertruck and first post was to say how fantastic Tesla is.

I think 90% of the people on here currently own or previously owned a Tesla. Most of us understand the trade-offs of a new EV startup, but most of us are also here because Tesla did not meet our needs. Tesla is a great company and truly started the EV revolution. But they have a lot of work to do and seem to be focusing on sales volume and marketing features or functionality that isn't realistic (FSD for example) or isn't necessary (the Yoke).

Looks like the Tesla fans are going to start hitting the forums now that Lucid is generating a lot of press. Same thing happened over on the Taycan forum. People literally sign up and post pro-Tesla, Anti-Porsche content constantly with no real interest in ever owning a Taycan.

I hope you’re not threatened by my presence here because I’m here to give readers points why I love the company and also here to give others a subjective view of EV ownership. If Tesla didn’t meet your needs it’s their loss, and I don’t have a problem with that. The yoke is controversial, but 9 out of10 people I’m watching on YouTube and from other forums like it, but it’s not for everyone. I haven’t tried the yoke yet, but think it’s cool, I don’t have a problem with adapting. FSD is a work in progress, Tesla makes it very clear that it’s a beta, going as far as slowing down the vehicle if it senses your hands are not on the wheel. It’s quite unfair to bash tesla for this, when Lucid doesn’t even have their cruise control working currently. If Tesla owners think FSD was for marketing, they’re in for a rude awakening when they find out Lucid is having issues with its cruise control according to some reports I’ve heard. As for teslas FSD, it’s not at level 5, but no one is close to Tesla’s FSD tech right now, not by a mile.

I’m missing the point of your posts. Is it to rave about your Tesla, throw cold water on Lucid or just troll? BTW, the front passenger door on my late 2017 MS failed 3 days after I received it. I also had numerous software issues that were never resolved…as in never.

I’m a model S and model 3 owner and am here to share my experience as well as my observations on the EV front. I couldn’t care any less what car you decide to purchase whether it be a Porsche Taycan or Lucid, my objective is to see how Lucid is progressing, how Porsche is progressing vs the king of the EV hill Tesla. If this offends you, then just avoid reading my post. I can say with certainty that I have a lot of knowledge within the EV landscape, enough to give valuable insights and criticism. I’m early days, the Model S door handles posted issues for early adopters, today, it’s a non issue. Which is why Tesla has won #1 in customer satisfaction. And I’m sorry for your experience with the door handles mine works great.

one thing that got a few people to finalize their order was Elon Musk. A proven executive who was co-founder of PayPal, and a rocket scientist from SpaceX.

tony-stark-rolling-eyes.gif

Moderators, can we please ban the Tesla fans who have no interest in Lucid?

They are going to overtake the forum shortly.
That's not the right way to approach it. Cybertruck has valid points but doesn't backup his claims with anything besides being an owner and Tesla enthusiast.

That's not the right way to approach it. Cybertruck has valid points but doesn't backup his claims with anything besides being an owner and Tesla enthusiast.

This entire forum will turn into a Tesla versus Lucid debate.

It's going to be like that for a LONG LONG time. Though, you can tell just where he's coming from by claiming Musk is a rocket scientist. Haha, how insulting for actual scientists.

I maybe wrong here, but don't the Lucid and Tesla share the same battery supplier for some of their models? I know hmp said the Dreams use the Samsung cells, but aren't the rest using the LG Chem cells? The exact same ones used in all of Teslas current models?

Short answer is yes, Tesla uses batteries from virtually all the big boys including CATL and BYD, what separates Tesla apart from others is how they regulate those batteries through packing, and this is done internally by Tesla as they own the IP methods. Aside from the packing, the software used to regulate heat, charging speed are all tied to battery longevity as parameters have to be stable. Any malfunction in the regulation of the batteries while it’s operating or in-operating can affect longevity as well as fires. This is why the OEMs are having problems with battery issues while Tesla is sailing away.

Keep in mind that the Bolt won Motor Trend Car of the year, and only recently had To recall it’s batteries. They have a long and arduous road ahead. The EV landscape isn’t what it appears, nothing comes easily, even for the OEMs. It’s a software world we’re living in, Silicon Valley is the new Detroit. Swim or sink!

There are 21 Tesla in our extended family (see pix when we gathered at our grandma house), and currently, 4 of us are in waiting for our Lucids to be delivered. Let me summarize our experience:

- Tesla is definitely fun to drive. Among all existing EVs in the market, it's the most efficient.
- Tesla seems to stress the EPA guideline a bit. None of us ever got close to the range Tesla advertise.
- The software, most of the time, is quite intuitive
- In the early days, Tesla had LOT (and LOT !!!) of problems. But we all accepted and tolerated it, for a few main reasons: it's a young company, it was willing to work hard to solve those problems, and most of us were so fed up w/ the ICE cars & dealers.
- We lost track of the number of times we had to replace the door handles of our Tesla S,or having to align & fix the phantom doors on our Xs. Tesla paint is absolute trash. And the plastic panels used in the interior make rental cars look luxurious.
- Even up until today, all the Tesla we own have few things in common: efficient, quite reliable, and totally crap in quality (if any ICE car makers build cars the way Tesla does, they would be out of business a long time ago)
- Tesla service used to be pretty awesome. Nowadays, with so much volume - there's a long wait time to get an appointment for service/repair.
- Tesla tends to overpromise and under-deliver lately. Few of us are still waiting for our roasters, w/o any delivery timeline in place (should have used those deposit $$ on EV stocks).
- Tesla auto-pilot is ok, but we have similar decent experience w/ our other cars for adaptive cruise control (without the phantom brake). As for FSD, it's a total lie - they promised a lot in the early day (look at their note to us in the attachment) and have since dial back a lot & yet keep claiming it's beta so they can just keep the lie going. We doubt they will ever deliver the FSD as originally promised.
- Too many gimmicks lately: karaoke, fart-mode, dance & light, and the stupid yoke (which lead to our aunt & uncle canceling their S and X after they tried out the yoke...)

With Lucid, we see a similar trail w/ Tesla in its early days. But what encouraged us and pushed us to order several Lucids are:

- They focus on quality since day one
- Extensive experience with battery & BMS development. As for the range, well, everyone by now know what it is....
- Lucid willingness to license the tech to other to speed up the EV evolution (and can build a lucrative business for themselves as well, similar to what Google did with Androids to speed up mobile)
- Many lessons/limitations learned from the early days of Tesla are now being addressed in Lucid (i.e 900v, V2G, Lidar/Radar, multi-camera, or even simple as in-car storage....)
- The original team that help to define Tesla are now running Lucid
- Strong financial backing. Back then, so many times we wonder if Tesla would have enough funding to keep it going. With Lucid's strong backing from the Saudi, not so sure we have to worry about it.
- The Supercharge network, while awesome in the early day, could be a liability. We live in the OC (CA), and most of the superchargers are so crowded, especially on the weekend & afterhour. Luckily we all charge at home (though most of us have a free charge from Tesla) so we don't have to suffer the wait at the superchargers. Going with the CSS, we think Lucid can just tap into the ever-growing infrastructure.
- Tesla is more or less a commodity car nowadays - pretty much 1 out of 5 cars we see around our are is a Tesla - being used for everything: uber, delivery, carpool network. Going to NY, lot of taxis are Tesla.

Attachments

• FamilyTeslas.jpg
    FamilyTeslas.jpg
    786.7 KB · Views: 170
  • Tesla_FSD.jpg
    Tesla_FSD.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:

Let me address the 400,000 recently recalled vehicle that you mentioned by Tesla. Firstly, no accidents have been caused due to this recall, they are recalling it out of precaution. A service technician comes to the house, checks it out, if there’s no defect they leave. If they find a defect in the wiring then it takes them 20 minutes to fix. Most owners who receive this recall aren’t affected, and the technician just leaves. This is my point exactly, and the reason why tesla wins #1 in customer satisfaction, because they have the data to diagnose the problem and can make the necessary recall ASAP. Although Tesla rates their autopilot as level 2 while others rates theirs at level 4, we know who’s ahead in autopilot tech. And yes, there are kinks, that’s why they call it a beta.

Attachments

• CB8FE449-C0C3-4E71-825A-FDFEB2BC82F6.jpeg
    CB8FE449-C0C3-4E71-825A-FDFEB2BC82F6.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 128
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back