Tesla adapter for Lucid

steveairgt

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
Referral Code
83YOVHQD
Does anyone know the latest as to an adapter to allow us to charge our Lucids at a Tesla supercharger in the US?
Does it exist? Anyone do it?
thanks

Not possible. There is no adapter available. There are a handful of Magic Dock equipped superchargers that can be used for CCS vehicles

Very few of the Tesla Superchargers have the "magic dock" to charge CCS cars at the moment. If your talking about the adapter for the destination charger, I tried Lectron and Tesla Tap 40/48A 240V and they worked even at 60A 240V without any problem.

Does anyone know the latest as to an adapter to allow us to charge our Lucids at a Tesla supercharger in the US?
Does it exist? Anyone do it?
Yes, and Yes.

To clarify, Tesla Supercharger-to-CCS1 adapter can only be obtained from each Tesla stall itself. You cannot buy it from anywhere else. If someone sells it to you, then that means it doesn't work. You don't need to buy it. It's included in the price of Supercharging. It's found on a few US stations, mainly in New York and northern California.

You can download a Tesla app, register and see for free if there's one available in your area.

But, apart from Tesla Superchargers, it sounds like some people on this forum have used Tesla Home or Destination chargers with adapters. There has been inconsistent information about how risky this is - some people have reported problems - and one Lucid Studio employee told me that using a Tesla charger with an adapter would void your warranty - however, my local DA here in Seattle told me when I asked about this at my delivery appointment that there were some adapters that worked. So, it sounds like it's one of those "you pays your money and you takes your chances" kind of things...

Anybody have more definitive information on this? I'd really like to be able to take advantage of some of the hotels, etc that provide access to Tesla Home/Destination chargers, without feeling like I was risking frying my car!

But, apart from Tesla Superchargers, it sounds like some people on this forum have used Tesla Home or Destination chargers with adapters. There has been inconsistent information about how risky this is - some people have reported problems - and one Lucid Studio employee told me that using a Tesla charger with an adapter would void your warranty - however, my local DA here in Seattle told me when I asked about this at my delivery appointment that there were some adapters that worked. So, it sounds like it's one of those "you pays your money and you takes your chances" kind of things...

Anybody have more definitive information on this? I'd really like to be able to take advantage of some of the hotels, etc that provide access to Tesla Home/Destination chargers, without feeling like I was risking frying my car!
It's a monopolistic company's threat. The advantage of that threat is owners will only buy or use Lucid brands for charging purposes.

Tesla could get away with that kind of threat because it sells home connectors, hotel destination chargers, and of course Tesla Superchargers. But I don't see how Lucid can use that threat when it gives us free use on Electrify America which is definitely not Lucid brand chargers.

On the other hand, I am also a Tesla owner so I do use a Tesla-to-J1772 adapter fine since December. Good for Tesla mobile connector and hotel Tesla Destination chargers.

On the other hand, I am also a Tesla owner so I do use a Tesla-to-J1772 adapter fine since December. Good for Tesla mobile connector and hotel Tesla Destination chargers.
What’s your adapter’s brand?

It's a monopolistic company's threat. The advantage of that threat is owners will only buy or use Lucid brands for charging purposes.

Tesla could get away with that kind of threat because it sells home connectors, hotel destination chargers, and of course Tesla Superchargers. But I don't see how Lucid can use that threat when it gives us free use on Electrify America which is definitely not Lucid brand chargers.

Thanks for the response, Tâm!

Thanks for all the replies. Let me explain a bit more about my use case. First of all I’ve had my AGT for about 5 months. I mostly charge at home with a NEMA 14-50. To date, we have taken 2 extended road trips where we only charged at EA stations. No issues at all.

im just thinking that it would be nice if I had an alternative that if I needed a charge while on a road trip and an EA station was too far, that I would pay to use a Tesla supercharger if available.

i never used a destination charger even when I had my Models S and X, so I wasn’t even considering that.

It seems like, according to @Tâm that I’d need to know if the specific Super charger stall has the CCS1 adapter. True? If so, is there anyplace online that lists or shows where these are? How wide spread are these ?

I also have accounts at ChargePoint and EvGo and have setup their apps if I ever need to use them. Although I still have only use EA to date while on road trips.

thanks again.

Thanks for all the replies. Let me explain a bit more about my use case. First of all I’ve had my AGT for about 5 months. I mostly charge at home with a NEMA 14-50. To date, we have taken 2 extended road trips where we only charged at EA stations. No issues at all.

im just thinking that it would be nice if I had an alternative that if I needed a charge while on a road trip and an EA station was too far, that I would pay to use a Tesla supercharger if available.

i never used a destination charger even when I had my Models S and X, so I wasn’t even considering that.

It seems like, according to @Tâm that I’d need to know if the specific Super charger stall has the CCS1 adapter. True? If so, is there anyplace online that lists or shows where these are? How wide spread are these ?

I also have accounts at ChargePoint and EvGo and have setup their apps if I ever need to use them. Although I still have only use EA to date while on road trips.

thanks again.
Open up the Tesla app and click on charge your non Tesla

Screenshot_20230420_052618_Tesla.jpg

Then when you search you will get a map like such

Screenshot_20230420_052637_Tesla.jpg

The available locations with a ccs1 adapter/magic dock will show up in red.

With older superchargers, V3 and below, you will max out at 50kw, so be prepared to take a while to charge

Open up the Tesla app and click on charge your non Tesla

View attachment 11625

Then when you search you will get a map like such

View attachment 11626

The available locations with a ccs1 adapter/magic dock will show up in red.

With older superchargers, V3 and below, you will max out at 50kw, so be prepared to take a while to charge
wow. Thanks. I see many in New York State but none in the mid Atlantic or south East. Although I see some destination chargers.
Thanks again.

This is so wrong. This thread is only talking about adapters which is something I doubt Lucid will ever sell. Many on the market fail to have UL or CE certification. Generalized responses from Lucid employees aren’t helpful. They really need a consistent response like “ensure the adapter is UL certified or it could damage the electrical system and it won’t be covered under warranty”. UL certified adapters have the correct wire size and can handle the current they are rated for. Not much Lucid can say if you used a certified adapter but they can say plenty if not certified.

What’s your adapter’s brand?

I bought the wrong one for my purpose:

Because it's rated for 48 Amperes, but the Lucid pulled the whole 80A from my Tesla Wall Connector! That is risky, but it's been working fine at 80A since December.

The correct one for my use should be rated at 80A:

I could dial down the amperes in the Tesla car and app but not with the Lucid car/app. User-selectable Amperes have been there in Tesla since I first bought them in 2012. Hopefully, Lucid will allow that as well.

Mine works well both at home and Tesla destination chargers but not Superchargers (It's J1772, not CCS1 adapter).

Because it's rated for 48 Amperes, but the Lucid pulled the whole 80A from my Tesla Wall Connector! That is risky, but it's been working fine at 80A since December.

I could dial down the amperes in the Tesla car and app but not with the Lucid car/app. User-selectable Amperes have been there in Tesla since I first bought them in 2012. Hopefully, Lucid will allow that as well.

Mine works well both at home and Tesla destination chargers but not Superchargers (It's J1772, not CCS1 adapter).
Thanks for the detailed info. This is very helpful.

Be very careful; the last thing anyone wants is a fire in their garage.

That’s not it. It’s just a CYA; they don’t want your non-UL listed adapter that’s rated for 48A and was pulling 80A to melt their charging port and have you come in and blame them. That’s what they’re saying.

Having one doesn’t void your warranty. Neither does using one.

But if you have a problem while using one, Lucid could point to the adapter and say it was your fault, if the adapter was involved.

That’s entirely reasonable.

Back