Taycan Turbo GT goes 0-60 in 1.9, beating Lucid Air Sapphire

I'm confused about the caveat. The article said the car tested did not have the Weissach package.
Oh I got confused, ignore me.

Caveat is tires + special Weissach package. Still, impressive!
Definitely agreed! However, despite the stickier tires, the Turbo GT has a 340 mile range from a 105 kWh battery, which in Porsche terms, could be the same/higher in real world conditions. Meanwhile, the Lucid has 427 miles from a 118 kWh battery, which will likely mean that their real world ranges are within 10 miles of each other. Due there presumably being no loss in terms of range with the tires, I'm tempted to ignore that factor. The Turbo GT also almost certainly has better handling (this can't be definitively proven yet, though). However, the Lucid is also far more practical in the real world and is faster at higher speeds.

My final conclusion: A choice within these two cars will likely be driven by individual preferences. IMO, one is not better than the other!

Definitely agreed! However, despite the stickier tires, the Turbo GT has a 340 mile range from a 105 kWh battery, which in Porsche terms, could be the same/higher in real world conditions. Meanwhile, the Lucid has 427 miles from a 118 kWh battery, which will likely mean that their real world ranges are within 10 miles of each other. Due there presumably being no loss in terms of range with the tires, I'm tempted to ignore that factor. The Turbo GT also almost certainly has better handling (this can't be definitively proven yet, though). However, the Lucid is also far more practical in the real world and is faster at higher speeds.

My final conclusion: A choice within these two cars will likely be driven by individual preferences. IMO, one is not better than the other!
Oh there is no competition in the handling, the gen 1 taycan spanks any EV I’ve driven. It’s night and day and the lucid handles amazingly but it’s different leagues. Especially with rear wheel steer and pdcc.

One is a sports car and the other a sedan that is comfortable with a huge backseat. I am sure if Lucid made a two door sports car, it could beat it.

Now, the Sapphire does 1.9 0 to 60. So did they ignore that? Why did they say 2.1 seconds?

Couldn’t reproduce those numbers under their testing conditions. My Air is also supposedly a 400+ mile range under EPA conditions and I could never achieve those numbers.

This is when Lucid should actually compete more effectively by undercutting Porsche in price (which I think they honestly should have done to begin with). They need to drop the price of the Sapphire to the $150-170k and I bet they'd sell the hell out of them! Being slightly slower and not having the Porsche name badge on the front means they can't really justify being more expensive.

The Turbo GT also almost certainly has better handling (this can't be definitively proven yet, though). However, the Lucid is also far more practical in the real world and is faster at higher speeds.

With a single rear motor, the Taycan won't be able to do the true torque vectoring the Sapphire can. So it'll be interesting to see whether other handling approaches with the Taycan offset that advantage. (I'm not saying they won't. I'm truly curious.). Rawlinson said in an interview a while back that the true torque vectoring allowed by two rear motors was more effective than rear-wheel steering. Also, the Sapphire has 1-millisecond cycling of its traction control, something that heretofore has been unmatched by close to a factor of ten. It'll be interesting to see what Porsche does in that realm.

Oh there is no competition in the handling, the gen 1 taycan spanks any EV I’ve driven. It’s night and day and the lucid handles amazingly but it’s different leagues. Especially with rear wheel steer and pdcc.

I see you have a Dream P. Have you driven a Sapphire in wide-ranging test conditions? I haven't, but I've read quite a few reviews by seasoned race drivers who use words such as "otherworldly" to describe the Sapphire's handling. I wonder if that leaves enough room for a night and day difference with the Taycan?

Well we may find out soon. The Sapphire has been spotted at Nurburgring running laps. The EV record is held by a Taycan Turbo GT with the Weissach package. On Inside EV's website they indicate they don't believe the Sapphire can come close to that package so maybe we'll find out.

Back