Taycan Turbo GT goes 0-60 in 1.9, beating Lucid Air Sapphire

Comparing the Taycan and the Sapphire/Air is a conversation I've had many times, and the best way I like to put it (having lived with both)
The discussion of which is better becomes moot as the ideals and requirements for each driver is vastly different.
The Air is an amazing car with great cargo space, and can seat 4-5 people comfortably. It's a road tripper with max range and built like a tank that's very stable and quiet. It's Luxury, designed for creature comfort without compromising sportiness.
The Taycan feels like a much smaller car, it's more nimble, but lacks creature comfort, lacks luxury and feel, and not designed for long distance tripping or hauling your baggage around. But it's way more fun around twisties, canyons, track days, and feels a bit more planted in tight turns.

So now the main questions, Is the Lucid Air a dedicated track car? No. But can it be tracked? Yes. Can it beat 99% of the cars on the road when you want to? Yes. It's a very well rounded vehicle that I think does it 'all' better than any other car. And that's where it shines.

People like to nit pick small details and professional times, drivers, and stats, they're both impressive vehicles but vastly different in their day to day usage.

The article said the Taycan was shod with Pirelli Trofeos, which I believe are track tires.
The Trofeos vs the Lucid Sapphire stock tires will make a difference at the Nurburgring. I'm much less interested in 0-60 times but the overall results on the Nordschieif (North Loop) of the Nurburgring (just under 13 miles long) is an excellent measure of a car's overall performance capabilities. Perhaps they will put a different set of tires on the Sapphire for its official run but if not then it will be apples to oranges comparing it to the Porsche. Also, Porsche uses their "professional" drivers there and they have extensive experience on that track which can also make a difference.

The Trofeos vs the Lucid Sapphire stock tires will make a difference at the Nurburgring. I'm much less interested in 0-60 times but the overall results on the Nordschieif (North Loop) of the Nurburgring (just under 13 miles long) is an excellent measure of a car's overall performance capabilities. Perhaps they will put a different set of tires on the Sapphire for its official run but if not then it will be apples to oranges comparing it to the Porsche. Also, Porsche uses their "professional" drivers there and they have extensive experience on that track which can also make a difference.
Here is a review of the Pirelli PZero Trofeo RS Track tires:

Latest Pirelli P Zero Trofeo RS Reviews​

Given 67% while driving a Porsche TAYCAN (305/30 R21) on track for 100 spirited miles
Fitted the Trofeo RS Elect on the Taycan GTS for a track day. Traction is IMMENSE. Braking is IMMENSE. Road feedback is absolutely fantastic. You immediately connect with the tire and you can confidently push to the limit and beyond. All its performance characteristics in the dry are truly exceptional. Lap times did not seem to get affected much by heat, the car could consistently run consecutive laps of around the same time. Unfortunately though the Taycan is a tire destroyer even when driven properly. The tires gave up very quickly. Alignment was set at the very limit of the settings suggested by Porsche. A bit aggressive but within factory limits. Around 2,4 bar back & forth seems to be optimal for the Taycan even though I did not really have the time to figure out exactly what was right. Overall, a thrill ride but a very short one.
Helpful 1 - tire reviewed on July 15, 2024

It's kind of shocking the C&D couldn't get better than a 2.1 0-60 time out of a Sapphire considering they use a 1ft rollout in all their testing. I've recorded multiple runs on my Dragy with minimal prep posting better times without rollout, and several sub 2 second runs using rollout. I don't get it
Me neither.

Me neither.
They did get 1.9 but on a prepped drag strip. From Car & Driver:

The result is an unbothered romp through puddles or, on a nicer day, like the one we had for testing, a lap around the skidpad pulling 1.04 g's without a hint of push, a quarter-mile time of 9.3 seconds at 153 mph, and a sprint to 60 mph in 2.1 seconds. Talk about the blink of an eye. On a prepped track surface, the Sapphire is even quicker. Technical editor Dan Edmunds saw 60 mph in 1.9 seconds when he drove it at Sonoma Raceway's sticky drag strip.

Honestly, the fact that you can put Lucid and Porsche in the same conversation is a testament to the Lucid team.
Quite correct. A start up company versus decades old, well established and tested Porsche.

Quite correct. A start up company versus decades old, well established and tested Porsche.
For acceleration, EVs have been destroying legacy automakers for a long time. I really want to see a Sapphire ring time! So we can definitively say that Lucid is in the same conversation as Porsche.

At VIR, Car and Driver claimed the battery pack was overheated after a 4 mile lap. Leads me to believe it probably would not survive the 12 mile Nurburgring lap

Truthfully, I have not. But I also haven’t drive the GT either. As others have mentioned, the chasis feels completely different on both cars. Lucid has weight and size it can’t hide even though it handles very well… for its size. I think it will always have that asterisk next to it (for its size). The taycan has a lot of downsides but handling is its greatest strength. You would swear the car weighs thousands of pounds less than it does.

All that to say, it’s quite possible that the sapphire would completely change my mind but the GT could as well. But having highly specced models of each has me drawing conclusions that the air won’t reach Taycan levels of handling. I do think lucid has the technology to do it in another chassis though. That’s why I want a dual motor, 2 door lucid roadster.
So, you are commenting on cars you have never driven?

Back