SXM REALLY?!?

DuaneCorcoran

Cars
Lucid Air Dream
DE Number
Yesterday I eagerly downloaded the latest rev from Lucid to get the SXM app. I live in a very rural area so anything cellular based is useless for our area. I was so excited to hear about the SXM app coming. Last weekend I attended the Dallas salon grand opening and inquired about the upcoming SXM release. During the discussion I asked if we would have to bring our cars in for an antenna install. I was told no the cars were originally outfitted with integrated antennas. Although I hadn’t noticed one I didn’t question the answer.
after I downloaded the app I pulled the car out of the garage and configured the app for my favorite stations. It was awesome.
to my surprise unlike every other car I have when I pulled the car inside the music continued to play. I thought wow how insightful they have it designed to work both outside via satellite and inside via WiFi. How cool is that! Well to my extreme shock i took the car out for drive this morning and as soon as I got out of cell range the music stopped and I got a message that my WiFi signal was lost. It appears that we did not get real satellite based SXM but instead a WiFi based app. If this is the case for the first time since my ownership I’m extremely disappointed and feel this was a very misleading representation of the facts.
I couldn’t be more disappointed in the app and for the first time I’ll admit the company. Actually I’m totally pissed!

Yesterday I eagerly downloaded the latest rev from Lucid to get the SXM app. I live in a very rural area so anything cellular based is useless for our area. I was so excited to hear about the SXM app coming. Last weekend I attended the Dallas salon grand opening and inquired about the upcoming SXM release. During the discussion I asked if we would have to bring our cars in for an antenna install. I was told no the cars were originally outfitted with integrated antennas. Although I hadn’t noticed one I didn’t question the answer.
after I downloaded the app I pulled the car out of the garage and configured the app for my favorite stations. It was awesome.
to my surprise unlike every other car I have when I pulled the car inside the music continued to play. I thought wow how insightful they have it designed to work both outside via satellite and inside via WiFi. How cool is that! Well to my extreme shock i took the car out for drive this morning and as soon as I got out of cell range the music stopped and I got a message that my WiFi signal was lost. It appears that we did not get real satellite based SXM but instead a WiFi based app. If this is the case for the first time since my ownership I’m extremely disappointed and feel this was a very misleading representation of the facts.
I couldn’t be more disappointed in the app and for the first time I’ll admit the company. Actually I’m totally pissed!
It’s well hidden in all the releases, but it is a ”steaming” version, so it seems you will need cell or wifi. Your experience seems to bear this out. Lucid PR / marketing has a very tenuous relationship with the truth. Many features represented as being on the car are still vapor ware. Fans boys will tell you compatible doesn’t mean it works it just means it could at some future date work.

It's amazing to me how they tell the SAs/DAs so very little about the products they are ostensibly selling. Every single retail employee I've met, across three locations, has been excited about the product in a way I rarely see among retail employees. But they don't know anything because they're not told anything.

It's amazing to me how they tell the SAs/DAs so very little about the products they are ostensibly selling. Every single retail employee I've met, across three locations, has been excited about the product in a way I rarely see among retail employees. But they don't know anything because they're not told anything.
I find many car sales people don’t know a lot about the products they sell. Not unique to Lucid. I’ve been to 2 Lucid retail sites and the employees were committed to providing a great experience, but same as your experience, not that well informed about the product.

Yes, car salespeople are really selling a lifestyle item, rather than a mechanical device. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that it's no different with Lucid than any other manufacturer. I will say I've never met a Mercedes salesperson who was anywhere near as excited about Mercedes.

I
Yes, car salespeople are really selling a lifestyle item, rather than a mechanical device. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that it's no different with Lucid than any other manufacturer. I will say I've never met a Mercedes salesperson who was anywhere near as excited about Mercedes.
I‘ve been fortunate enough to be at a couple BMW launch events with engineers and designers that worked on the car present. Those people were of course highly knowledgeable about the vehicle and very interested in what your thoughts were. I wasn’t at the launch for the current M3 or M5 and I definitely have some thoughts on the grill. 😂

When I went for a test drive at the Oakbrook location for a GT they had a sales associate on the test drive who per usual knew what he needed to know but not a lot of detail. But when I was done there was a second lucid “Engineer” there when I was done. He was quite knowledgeable and we had a nice discussion about suspension tuning and how lucid manages to creat a an air suspension feel with coils.

It’s been well noted in here that the car doesn’t have an XM antenna so the only way Sirius was ever going to be delivered was via internet.

Given Lucid copied Teslas playbook it doesn’t surprise me the lack of XM antenna and maybe figured Tesla got away with it so can we. I guess it comes down to how much demand their really is for it which Lucid will be able to to via logging.

If 90% of owners are using SXM for example we “may” see an antenna in a future model revision but if only 10% of owners are using SXM then they have no need to do any more than offer the streaming app.

Tbh, I’m surprised SXM still exists as a company. The only way they seem to keep going is by offering free / discounted subscriptions all over the place.

I find many car sales people don’t know a lot about the products they sell. Not unique to Lucid. I’ve been to 2 Lucid retail sites and the employees were committed to providing a great experience, but same as your experience, not that well informed about the product.
When I went to Manhattan Lucid gallery in Febuary, I felt I know more about the car from YouTube channels than the staff in the show room. I always feel Lucid is weak in communication department. They are excellent in engineering, service and marketing. So many improvements such as production and software only came later half of year. It’s a great product, but company just happen to get itself into damage control situations.

“If 90% of owners are using SXM for example we “may” see an antenna in a future model revision but if only 10% of owners are using SXM then they have no need to do any more than offer the streaming app.”

That doesn’t work, because the people who want it the most have to have the antenna. As a long time Mac user, this is like when a company would make a de featured crappy version of a windows program and release it for Mac, then when you called them and told them it was unusable they need to improve, the answer would be will fix it when more people use it.

This is one of those things where I would have advised Lucid to just let it go, because they are not going to make the very people who are angry about this happy no matter what they do. Unless they want to retrofit thousands of cars with a physical antenna, which isn’t just a matter of the cost. There are other testing, power, aerodynamics considerations that make it extremely unlikely to be worth the price of admission for a relatively small number of customers who care.

This thread is proof of that.

They made a choice with SXM at the outset. It’s a diminishing feature from a company that probably won’t be around much longer. Maybe it was a mistake to dismiss the feature altogether, but it is what it is. Own your decision. Move forward.

This compromise will satisfy some people, I suppose, but it seems like more effort than it was worth.

To me, the most exciting part is the idea of more third-party apps being added to the native system. Apple Music. A dedicated Pandora app. Maybe even built in Waze? Anything is possible if they are willing to put in the work. I’d focus my efforts there if I were Lucid.

This is one of those things where I would have advised Lucid to just let it go, because they are not going to make the very people who are angry about this happy no matter what they do. Unless they want to retrofit thousands of cars with a physical antenna, which isn’t just a matter of the cost. There are other testing, power, aerodynamics considerations that make it extremely unlikely to be worth the price of admission for a relatively small number of customers who care.

They made a choice with SXM at the outset. It’s a diminishing feature from a company that probably won’t be around much longer. Maybe it was a mistake to dismiss the feature altogether, but it is what it is. Own your decision. Move forward.

This compromise will satisfy some people, I suppose, but it seems like more effort than it was worth.

To me, the most exciting part is the idea of more third-party apps being added to the native system. Apple Music. A dedicated Pandora app. Maybe even built in Waze? Anything is possible if they are willing to put in the work. I’d focus my efforts there if I were Lucid.
Building their own apps unless they are levels beyond anything else is a waste of time. Once there is CarPlay and Android people will use their favorite apps through that interface. Those will always be the most up to date apps. Lucid will be behind all the time.

Lucid should focus on apps for the car only they can write.

Last edited:

I agree with your point of it probably wasn’t worth Lucid’s efforts to just put out a WiFi based SXM app. I was very surprised when I received my #263 Dream that it didn’t have a satellite based emergency communication system or SXM from the factory. Never owning a Tesla I’ve never owned a late model vehicle that didn’t come with both. I never expected the car to get SXM after not getting it from the factory. I’m just very disappointed that no where in any communication I had with Lucid personnel was there mention that it was just a WiFi version. For my area it makes it useless.

AAAAAANNNDDD…. Here we go with the whining and complaining about the implementation of a free feature that is completely optional to use and is one of many audio options at your disposal.

Reminds me of this comedy sketch: Louis CK

I hope your comments about a company not being around much longer refers to SXM and not Lucid....
Anyway I have found SXM to be useful on long trips through the desert but the cost is way out of line. I have gravitated to books on tape or silence. Which can be nice. It's one of those things I dont care a whole lot one way or another.

It’s been well noted in here that the car doesn’t have an XM antenna so the only way Sirius was ever going to be delivered was via internet.

Given Lucid copied Teslas playbook it doesn’t surprise me the lack of XM antenna and maybe figured Tesla got away with it so can we. I guess it comes down to how much demand their really is for it which Lucid will be able to to via logging.

If 90% of owners are using SXM for example we “may” see an antenna in a future model revision but if only 10% of owners are using SXM then they have no need to do any more than offer the streaming app.

Tbh, I’m surprised SXM still exists as a company. The only way they seem to keep going is by offering free / discounted subscriptions all over the place.
I have used SXM every day for many years (got my first radio in 2004). For me it is my go to for radio. I can get news channels and music channels with curated by decent DJs and supplemental content. To me this is superior to computer generated "radio" with algorithm based playlists. I have a Tesla 3 as well and find Slacker to be "brainless". On my morning drive, I listen to Stu Varney on Fox Business and in the afternoon I listen to Alt Nation, The Beatles Channel or Real Jazz. Breakfast with the Beatles hosted by Chris Carter has been a KLOS staple for decades. Now daily only on SXM. There is real value in SXM. It is annoying that Lucid did not put in an antenna and hardware SXM radio, but I am delighted that they have integrated a native SXM app in the Lucid UX so that I do not have to use my iPhone over bluetooth like I still have to do with my Tesla.

I hope your comments about a company not being around much longer refers to SXM and not Lucid....
Anyway I have found SXM to be useful on long trips through the desert but the cost is way out of line. I have gravitated to books on tape or silence. Which can be nice. It's one of those things I dont care a whole lot one way or another.
Yes. Definitely referring to Sirius. I think they are not long for this world. But I'd be happy to be proven wrong on that point. I just don't hear about a whole lot of people in the 18-24 demo having much interest in it. Live entertainment in general is falling heavily out of fashion for good reason.

If it weren't for sports, live broadcasting would likely be mostly dead already.

I have used SXM every day for many years (got my first radio in 2004). For me it is my go to for radio. I can get news channels and music channels with curated by decent DJs and supplemental content. To me this is superior to computer generated "radio" with algorithm based playlists. I have a Tesla 3 as well and find Slacker to be "brainless". On my morning drive, I listen to Stu Varney on Fox Business and in the afternoon I listen to Alt Nation, The Beatles Channel or Real Jazz. Breakfast with the Beatles hosted by Chris Carter has been a KLOS staple for decades. Now daily only on SXM. There is real value in SXM. It is annoying that Lucid did not put in an antenna and hardware SXM radio, but I am delighted that they have integrated a native SXM app in the Lucid UX so that I do not have to use my iPhone over bluetooth like I still have to do with my Tesla.
Apple Music and other streaming services have real, curated radio shows with actual DJs as well. Not just the "brainless" compilations put together by computers.

Yes. Definitely referring to Sirius. I think they are not long for this world. But I'd be happy to be proven wrong on that point. I just don't hear about a whole lot of people in the 18-24 demo having much interest in it. Live entertainment in general is falling heavily out of fashion for good reason.

If it weren't for sports, live broadcasting would likely be mostly dead already.
I have no expertise in the area, but it looks like SiriusXM is profitable?

AAAAAANNNDDD…. Here we go with the whining and complaining about the implementation of a free feature that is completely optional to use and is one of many audio options at your disposal.

Reminds me of this comedy sketch: Louis CK
I see it differently. SiriusXM has been offered on every car that we have looked at for the last several years and almost assumed to be available on any ICE luxury car. So, I incorrectly assumed that when I picked up my DE in December 2021, that it had SiriusXM, which it didn't. I believe not having the SiriusXM hardware in their cars was a bad decision on Lucid's part. Having a working streaming version is the least that they can offer.

Back