SXM REALLY?!?

This is one of those things where I would have advised Lucid to just let it go, because they are not going to make the very people who are angry about this happy no matter what they do. Unless they want to retrofit thousands of cars with a physical antenna, which isn’t just a matter of the cost. There are other testing, power, aerodynamics considerations that make it extremely unlikely to be worth the price of admission for a relatively small number of customers who care.

This thread is proof of that.

They made a choice with SXM at the outset. It’s a diminishing feature from a company that probably won’t be around much longer. Maybe it was a mistake to dismiss the feature altogether, but it is what it is. Own your decision. Move forward.

This compromise will satisfy some people, I suppose, but it seems like more effort than it was worth.

To me, the most exciting part is the idea of more third-party apps being added to the native system. Apple Music. A dedicated Pandora app. Maybe even built in Waze? Anything is possible if they are willing to put in the work. I’d focus my efforts there if I were Lucid.
Perfectly stated! Half the people are happy, half are not or don’t care either way. Call it a draw and move on to CarPlay, which will be a clear win. I assume that with CarPlay people will be able to play downloaded music from their Apple device, which would work well in dead zones.

Sometimes I’m surprised what people are surprised about, since it’s well known that this feature was always going to be via an app and was an afterthought from Lucid.

There are other testing, power, aerodynamics considerations that make it extremely unlikely to be worth the price of admission for a relatively small number of customers who care.
There are no aerodynamic considerations when the XM Satellite antenna is mounted above or below the rear deck lid. Also, the FM tuners are usually mounted close to the antennas and many of them (e.g Tesla model S/X) have XM integrated as part of the tuner assembly.

There a many part of rural America where there is limited cell service and Sirius XM is the preferred method. People in those areas prolly aren’t on their cell phones posting in forums.

My whole point is what makes SXM so great is it’s satellite based. You’re never out of range or need to change channels. The fact that this was not stated in any of the press releases is disappointing. For those of you who don’t live in rural or mountainous areas I get that it doesn’t matter. For those of us who do it’s huge. It renders the app useless and fails to live up to the obvious expectations.

Yesterday I eagerly downloaded the latest rev from Lucid to get the SXM app. I live in a very rural area so anything cellular based is useless for our area. I was so excited to hear about the SXM app coming. Last weekend I attended the Dallas salon grand opening and inquired about the upcoming SXM release. During the discussion I asked if we would have to bring our cars in for an antenna install. I was told no the cars were originally outfitted with integrated antennas. Although I hadn’t noticed one I didn’t question the answer.
after I downloaded the app I pulled the car out of the garage and configured the app for my favorite stations. It was awesome.
to my surprise unlike every other car I have when I pulled the car inside the music continued to play. I thought wow how insightful they have it designed to work both outside via satellite and inside via WiFi. How cool is that! Well to my extreme shock i took the car out for drive this morning and as soon as I got out of cell range the music stopped and I got a message that my WiFi signal was lost. It appears that we did not get real satellite based SXM but instead a WiFi based app. If this is the case for the first time since my ownership I’m extremely disappointed and feel this was a very misleading representation of the facts.
I couldn’t be more disappointed in the app and for the first time I’ll admit the company. Actually I’m totally pissed!
One of the questions I asked when taking delivery back in June was if the car was equipped with SiriusXM antenna and the answer was no and that he didn't think SirusXM would make it to the car unless they retrofitted the hardware.

It’s been well noted in here that the car doesn’t have an XM antenna so the only way Sirius was ever going to be delivered was via internet.

Given Lucid copied Teslas playbook it doesn’t surprise me the lack of XM antenna and maybe figured Tesla got away with it so can we. I guess it comes down to how much demand their really is for it which Lucid will be able to to via logging.

If 90% of owners are using SXM for example we “may” see an antenna in a future model revision but if only 10% of owners are using SXM then they have no need to do any more than offer the streaming app.

Tbh, I’m surprised SXM still exists as a company. The only way they seem to keep going is by offering free / discounted subscriptions all over the place.
Except Tesla Model S, which is the competitor of this car (not 3/Y) does have Sirius via Satellite, as does every other competitor.

Of course they still exist. Usually people that never travel or live in the city think that way, but everyone I know has SiriusXM, as it is just awesome when traveling and in areas without/poor cell coverage (still many areas like that in NA). They will not be going away anytime soon, as about every car manufacturer supports them and may people still use them. Thankful they exist! :)

Perfectly stated! Half the people are happy, half are not or don’t care either way. Call it a draw and move on to CarPlay, which will be a clear win. I assume that with CarPlay people will be able to play downloaded music from their Apple device, which would work well in dead zones.

Sometimes I’m surprised what people are surprised about, since it’s well known that this feature was always going to be via an app and was an afterthought from Lucid.
Love CarPlay, but Sirius is still a wireless app on that, so not sure how that solves anything. We listen to Sirius for live Sports/talk radio. I can only listen to downloaded music so much. 🙂

Love CarPlay, but Sirius is still a wireless app on that, so not sure how that solves anything. We listen to Sirius for live Sports/talk radio. I can only listen to downloaded music so much. 🙂
Totally get the music thing. I’ve used podcasts as my go to for talk-type shows for well over a decade now.

I generally don’t stream anything in my car. Everything I want to listen to is automatically downloaded onto my phone. Whether it be music, audio books, or podcasts. That way, I’m always in sync, whether I’m driving or hiking or riding my bike.

The live sports thing is the only big missing piece. But that’s generally low priority for me, so I let that go a long time ago, too.

I have been listening to SiriusXM almost exclusively (over 90% of the time) for two decades. The decision not to include it from the start was a mistake, period. They took a feature that most have had a very long time and thumbed their nose at those of us that did use SiriusXM SATELLITE Radio by not even giving us the ability to make that choice. Those that never listened to the service did not, and do not, really have much taken away from them and, therefore see the issue very differently. Those of us that do use the service no longer have that choice. An app does not have as much utility when driving in the NC mountains, so many of these services end up being useless in that environment. Let's put this a different way, what if they took away the app-based approach entirely and did not give you that choice. This car has to be attractive not only to the younger generation, but also the older generation.

Whether SiriusXM is economically viable is irrelevant as long as the service is being offered. I pay for this service for my other cars as well as my home(s). If the Company goes away, so do those payments.

Bottom line, Lucid took the option off the table and made the decision for me, whether I like it or not. Every time I now drive in certain areas I was able to listen to music in before will not be in silence as none of the apps offered will work without cell service.

Oh yea, SiriusXM no longer works at all in my car anyway. I still have the app, but my favorites that I originally setup are gone, no categories show up, nothing. So the app just sits there as a "tease".

It's just another reminder that the designers/engineers/management of the Company were in somewhat of a bubble when they were making some very key decisions about the car and the Company.

I have been listening to SiriusXM almost exclusively (over 90% of the time) for two decades. The decision not to include it from the start was a mistake, period. They took a feature that most have had a very long time and thumbed their nose at those of us that did use SiriusXM SATELLITE Radio by not even giving us the ability to make that choice. Those that never listened to the service did not, and do not, really have much taken away from them and, therefore see the issue very differently. Those of us that do use the service no longer have that choice. An app does not have as much utility when driving in the NC mountains, so many of these services end up being useless in that environment. Let's put this a different way, what if they took away the app-based approach entirely and did not give you that choice. This car has to be attractive not only to the younger generation, but also the older generation.

Whether SiriusXM is economically viable is irrelevant as long as the service is being offered. I pay for this service for my other cars as well as my home(s). If the Company goes away, so do those payments.

Bottom line, Lucid took the option off the table and made the decision for me, whether I like it or not. Every time I now drive in certain areas I was able to listen to music in before will not be in silence as none of the apps offered will work without cell service.

Oh yea, SiriusXM no longer works at all in my car anyway. I still have the app, but my favorites that I originally setup are gone, no categories show up, nothing. So the app just sits there as a "tease".

It's just another reminder that the designers/engineers/management of the Company were in somewhat of a bubble when they were making some very key decisions about the car and the Company.
Well said!

Same here, I have a life time subscription when they first started - they gave it out to a few early birds joining the sat/radio bandwagon. I also love the fact that I can use the app driving through the Virginia mountains. My son goes to ODU and my daughter to UVA so I drive from Northern Virginia to those places often. The app seems to work great with WiFi and nonexistent when using LTE. For now, I just use the phone app connected via bluetooth.

Yes. Definitely referring to Sirius. I think they are not long for this world. But I'd be happy to be proven wrong on that point. I just don't hear about a whole lot of people in the 18-24 demo having much interest in it. Live entertainment in general is falling heavily out of fashion for good reason.

If it weren't for sports, live broadcasting would likely be mostly dead already.
I just don't hear about a whole lot of people in the 18-24 demo having much interest in it.

Is that the Lucid demo? I am a dedicated XMSirius for over 30 years, particularly for distance trips.

I have a question for our forum engineers -- doesn't GPS use satellite data for navigation? If so, then the car must have satellite reception, correct? Can that capability be tweeted to receive XMSirius signals?

I just don't hear about a whole lot of people in the 18-24 demo having much interest in it.

Is that the Lucid demo? I am a dedicated XMSirius for over 30 years, particularly for distance trips.

I have a question for our forum engineers -- doesn't GPS use satellite data for navigation? If so, then the car must have satellite reception, correct? Can that capability be tweeted to receive XMSirius signals?
Not an engineer, however I have two custom GPS and SirusXM installs. They both have separate GPS and satellite antennas.

GPS operates at about 1570 MHz on L1 and L2 @ 1227 MHz. Sirius XM is about 2320-2332.5 MHz.

As a very long-time Sirius user, I am quite pleased that I now have the pleasure of listening to some of my favorite stations ... more news and sports than music. Yes, it is cell/wi-fi limited but better than not at all. Since we have great music apps ... Spotify, TIDAL, etc., , music isn't an issue so why the complaints about SiriusXM? BTW, the BETA version does not include all Sirius stations. Am not too pleased with that. At the very least, LUCID should have advised us of that limitation until the full version for pay is delivered.

As a very long-time Sirius user, I am quite pleased that I now have the pleasure of listening to some of my favorite stations ... more news and sports than music. Yes, it is cell/wi-fi limited but better than not at all. Since we have great music apps ... Spotify, TIDAL, etc., , music isn't an issue so why the complaints about SiriusXM? BTW, the BETA version does not include all Sirius stations. Am not too pleased with that. At the very least, LUCID should have advised us of that limitation until the full version for pay is delivered.
That somewhat dovetails into one of the things I did not see available when I first installed the update and accessed Sirius. I was hoping to be able to use my existing account as this implementation is not VIN specific, but rather along the same lines as the app on my phone. Using an existing account should provide the same channel access as available on my phone, thus access to more content. They should have (or should with a subsequent update) allow us to use an existing Sirius account login and not just default to trial.

That somewhat dovetails into one of the things I did not see available when I first installed the update and accessed Sirius. I was hoping to be able to use my existing account as this implementation is not VIN specific, but rather along the same lines as the app on my phone. Using an existing account should provide the same channel access as available on my phone, thus access to more content. They should have (or should with a subsequent update) allow us to use an existing Sirius account login and not just default to trial.
I imagine that we will be able to sign into our account once BETA is over and we are offered a 3-month trial. In the meantime, I have been accessing my Sirius favorites via Bluetooth and the Sirius App. Until the full version is available, I will use that method to listen to a station that is not currently available in Beta version.

From some of the comments in here Lucid should just take the approach of why bother. The car didn't come with SXM from day 1, it was never advertised as having SXM so you didn't have to buy it if it was such a big deal that you couldn't live without. Now a compromise has been provided and people still aren't happy. Lucid seems to be in a situation of damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I pity them when CarPlay eventually comes out because I can see all the comments now saying "it's too small on the screen" "it's shit" "why didn't they do this" "why didn't they do that"

Good question.

Like using Bluetooth for the remote. 😂

Back