SW 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
DFEA11EC-DC47-47CF-97F3-0E4CE426C744.png

Does this image mean the backup camera still blocks the garage door icons?? One of my most frequent frustrations!

How well does lane keeping work now with the software being faster? It’s improved since launch but still erratic and unusable on New England roads.

Based on the early posts from this thread, it works extremely well. No auto lane changes but once you take the wheel it will disable lane keep and after you change lanes and settle the vehicle lane keep kicks back in. That sounds good to me.

Some mood music for your playlist and mine for the foreseeable future…

I do like that song, brings back some memories

i see the mirrors are not folded when you approached the car, does that mean it's an option in 2.0 to keep it from folding when you lock? from what i recall the mirrors on both sides fold automatically when it locks and unfold when you approach the car. in your video it looks like the mirrors are already unfolded.

Have you (or the rest of the Beta Bunch) found anything that has warranted revision, rewrite or material changes?

This is another example of where Lucid could communicate better with its customers.

It would be good if Lucid would let us know when the rest of us can expect to receive this software release. A statement like:
----
Version x.xx.xx has now entered customer beta-testing. This version includes the following changes:

If the beta test is successful, we expect to begin general deployment on xx/xx/xx. If testing is successful, all customers should receive this new version by xx/xx/xx.

We will keep you informed of any changes to this plan.
-----
Any company that makes regular changes to software that changes the basic functions of their products should follow the industry best practices in communication with its customers.

Customers should not be left guessing what a product is supposed to do, and when new changes are planned to take effect. Information about products and changes should come from official company sources, not from other customers.

I strongly recommend that someone in the Lucid software release department be assigned responsibility for customer communication concerning software releases.

Lucid should understand it's in the software industry just as much as it is in the auto industry. Customers care just as much (or even more) about how they interact with the vehicle every day as they care about vehicle's raw performance specs.

This is another example of where Lucid could communicate better with its customers.

It would be good if Lucid would let us know when the rest of us can expect to receive this software release. A statement like:
----
Version x.xx.xx has now entered customer beta-testing. This version includes the following changes:

If the beta test is successful, we expect to begin general deployment on xx/xx/xx. If testing is successful, all customers should receive this new version by xx/xx/xx.

-----
Any company that makes regular changes to software that changes the basic functions of their products should follow the industry best practices in communication with its customers.

Customers should not be left guessing what a product is supposed to do, and when new changes are planned to take effect. Information about products and changes should come from official company sources, not from other customers.

I strongly recommend that someone in the Lucid software release department be assigned responsibility for customer communication concerning software releases.

Lucid should understand it's in the software industry just as much as it is in the auto industry. Customers care just as much (or even more) about how they interact with the vehicle every day as they care about vehicle's raw performance specs.
Do any companies do this now? Honest question

----

-----

Does Tesla provide such proactive communication?

I know a lot o folks will respond to this update this with "I can't believe they haven't done 'X' yet!" Where X is whatever their biggest pet peeve is. I get it. But I think it's actually a good thing that this update has so few new features.

I think it's a really good sign that someone on Lucid's software team had enough pull to fight off any prompting from other departments to constantly rethink the software while they were rewriting it. That clearly wasn't the case a year ago.

My understanding is that at least part of the reason the software stack was so unstable was that execs were changing their minds and moving the goal posts throughout the original development process. And that meant everything was built too fast, with far too many cooks in the kitchen, making far too many demands.

This time around, someone put their foot down and said "We designed a good car interface a year ago, and now we're going to build that." A better interface will come later.

That may not be a normal development process. But it was what was needed.

This eliminates tons of back and forth with the design team, tons of half-built features that get scrapped and stared over again, and on and on. Basically, they had a blueprint, and they were able to simply follow it. That's the only reason this is shipping a year later and not three years later.

Even new "features" like Highway Assist and the directions next to the speedo were likely meant for the original design (which is probably why it's been in the manual all along). So including them was a matter of building, not designing and building.

There will be plenty of time to address shortcomings in that original UI. I'm sure there are folks already working on those designs. But someone kept those people as far away from the developers doing the rewrite as possible, and I think it made all the difference.

Start with the foundation. Then addressing shortcomings becomes a thousand times easier. From here on out, they can go back to a "normal" release cycle.

Sounds obvious, but it's not exactly common for corporations to pivot this quickly. To take a culture where software was clearly assumed to be a given, and thus not given a proper seat at the table, and do a 180 to where the software team gets to have a much stronger voice? It's not unheard of, but it's not an everyday thing, believe me.

First with the factory shakeup, and now with software, Lucid is proving that it can quickly correct mistakes and adapt as needed.

I know, I know. You call a year quick? Yes. Yes I do. To rewrite an entire automobile interface? You bet your butt that's quick.

Sure, Rivian may have been better out of the gate, but have they been tested like this? We won't know until they reach their first real crisis.

Tesla has had crap paint and poor manufacturing standards for over a decade. Have they ever really addressed it? Or have they just coasted on being the only EV maker in town up until now?

I'm much more willing to bet on a team that was down in the 4th quarter and came back to win enough games to make it to the playoffs than a team that hasn't lost a game all season.

That was my thought. My cell phone, computers, tablets, e-readers, software programs, updates just show up.

Computer games might be the exception where they tease and promise content and updates

I think that for as often as they’re updating software, your email would be spammed with “here’s what we might do, try to do, are about to do, failed to do, try again to do, etc.”

This would just create more calls to Lucid that would be wasteful of resources. I’m sure their phones are already ringing with, “Why was so and so a beta tester and not me?” or “When will the rest of us get 2.0, since beta has been out a week?”

Today, I’m just excited real people (in real life driving) have it, love it, and the rest of us will see it soon with even less bugs. ❤️

Do any companies do this now? Honest question
I am in the software business. Having customers guess what the software is supposed to do, or when new features will be available, or rely on other customers for information, is a recipe for customer issues.

I guarantee that if Lucid does a better job with software release communication, their net promoter score and their customer satisfaction would go up.

I am in the software business. Having customers guess what the software is supposed to do, or when new features will be available, or rely on other customers for information, is a recipe for customer issues.

I guarantee that if Lucid does a better job with software release communication, their net promoter score and their customer satisfaction would go up.
While I agree in theory, it doesn't sound like this is a common practice in the software industry? Now whether or not it should be is a different story.

In hindsight, it was a gutsy call by Lucid to take the giant step back and do a complete re-write.

They essentially were brave enough to do a not so public, "we fucked up" admission which is very risky.
They could have kept trying to tweek the old version while adding functions but it never would have been up to the standards the car deserved.

They risked the anger and frustration of everyone over the past 10 months but hopefully this is now the base software they should have had and it'll grow properly from here.

I am glad they didn't try and Mickey Mouse the old one into being somewhere just below "adequate"
I think this may not be 10 months, but very recently 6 months when software got slow around March/April. I have to give credit for Peter Rawlinson took the heat and risk by firing VPs and added replacements in various areas of top business. This rewrite is very BOLD and is what VolksWagen and Electrify America needed instead of nonstop spaghetti patches. Lucid is fast and nimble at this stage.(30% of Rivian staff and 5% of Tesla staff) And the strategy of going down delivery trim levels from GT to Tour at slower delivery also work for them. By the time they get to Pure, they already timed themselves with CarPlay/AndroidAuto OTA deployment. Imagine the scale of 2000 people complain to 20,000+ people are not happy about software.

I repeat, it took Polestar2 29 months after debut to deploy Apple CarPlay, and have about 60,000+ delivery since debut. Their USB-C port is still close protected from data link after 31st month. I think Lucid may deliver under half of that benchmark. My hat is off to Lucid software development team pushing hard. When the software finally gets there, this would be best sedan ever in the market.

----

-----

The vast majority of us are almost giddy knowing that Lucid is delivering on their long awaited promise to provide significantly enhanced software. Lucid is doing a damn good job and obviously the rest of us will receive the OTA as soon as they can reasonably get it to us. My suggestion is to take the win today and go back to complaining tomorrow.

I am thrilled with the software release and excited for the future releases. It is an incredibly important update to improve the performance so significantly and I look forward to getting the update when its available. Im ok waiting while they roll it out and I dont think they owe us a specific timeline. I purchased my car with the hope they would improve the performance - the information from the last few days make me MUCH more confident with the fact my car will be where I hoped it would be when I made the purchase. I trust they have a process and I can wait a few weeks if that's what it takes - I've been waiting for my car since March and just got it.

The other aspect of this release that has me really excited is that they have made significant underlying changes to the software that will open up the potential for new features and capabilities. My mindset is that with this release I am moving from a "they have to fix the user experience and performance of the software" to an excitement of looking forward to the potential this unlocks in where they will put their focus and what they have to work with. Should be a fun ride- pun fully intended.

----

-----

Software versioning and documentation is for accountability to bolster trust and anticipation. But it also added bureaucratic work. Let’s move on the positive note that Lucid’s head hunters are still on hiring spree and they are pushing hard to make this a product of best sedan for all of us to be proud of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back