SW 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the beta testers which I assume were under NDA have basically been outed and will be forever asked questions on future updates. Good luck boys! 😂

And yeah…….. I hope people can just wait and not flood Lucid with phone calls to request the update. If they get inundated with calls then these sneak peaks in future will be non-existent.
Precisely. Lack of patience is how the program would die.

In layman’s terms for the IT-challenged… how did the improvements come about? What changed with the re-writes?
They went from everything running in a virtual machine to a complete rewrite that runs the software natively on the bare metal, so there’s no emulation or virtualization whatsoever, which was part of what slowed everything down.

To make a long story short: a massive effort from an extremely talented team, through a lot of external complaining from people who were (rightfully, for the most part) upset about the state of the software.

The “wait to build features on the new software stack” was also the right approach and exactly how I would’ve done it. Releasing new features in the old stack would have meant building them twice, and slowed everything down. Sometimes patience pays off.

Wow. 7 pages before I even saw this. Can’t wait for version 2. I do have a question. Did this solve the issue of having to set up the remotes individually on every profile? Or can we now set up the garage and gate on the first and then add the, to a second? I still have not added them to my wife’s profile, but would like to.

Wow. 7 pages before I even saw this. Can’t wait for version 2. I do have a question. Did this solve the issue of having to set up the remotes individually on every profile? Or can we now set up the garage and gate on the first and then add the, to a second? I still have not added them to my wife’s profile, but would like to.
That hasn’t changed. That’s a security limitation of AAOS, sadly. You’ll need to add them individually to each profile.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." --Ralph Waldo Emerson

When you're one the first (#254) to get a Tesla Roadster in 2009 THAT is a beta-tester. When you're one of the first to get a Model S in 2012, that's a beta-tester. When you believe in the saying above & Lucid chooses you to get the first car to ever roll into a customer's hand its because they must have seen that patience is a virtue you may have... then you're the first to get Lucid software v2.0.

I did not sign an NDA. I'm not being paid. I do not pull my punches.

BUT our work is not done! Onwards!

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." --Ralph Waldo Emerson

When you're one the first (#254) to get a Tesla Roadster in 2009 THAT is a beta-tester. When you're one of the first to get a Model S in 2012, that's a beta-tester. When you believe in the saying above & Lucid chooses you to get the first car to ever roll into a customer's hand its because they must have seen that patience is a virtue you may have... then you're the first to get Lucid software v2.0.

I did not sign an NDA. I'm not being paid. I do not pull my punches.

BUT our work is not done! Onwards!
Amen, brother. I test drove the original roadster but didn’t have the funds. It was ridiculously great, for its time.

I too am excited to see the update, but all of these things should already have worked well in the car 6+ months ago. The Rivian SUV delivered with lane keeping from day 1.
It’s great that we are getting the updates but we should expect more.

I too am excited to see the update, but all of these things should already have worked well in the car 6+ months ago. The Rivian SUV delivered with lane keeping from day 1.
It’s great that we are getting the updates but we should expect more.
You're not wrong but they can't change the past.

This definitely puts a stake in the ground and shows Lucid knows what they need to do and that they're able to do it.

We all expect a lot more, but that doesn't mean we cannot celebrate these millstones.

They went from everything running in a virtual machine to a complete rewrite that runs the software natively on the bare metal, so there’s no emulation or virtualization whatsoever, which was part of what slowed everything down.

This certainly seems like a big deal…but virtual machines can be great and nowadays not so slow if implemented properly. It all depends on the base operating system, memory, and cpu power. So what you are saying is they wrote new software that is compatible with the operating system onboard the Lucid Air to control all systems? I would love to be enlightened as I am sure Mr. Rawlinson will not give us a tech talk on how Lucid rewrote the Air’s software 11 months after their first delivery.

This certainly seems like a big deal…but virtual machines can be great and nowadays not so slow if implemented properly. It all depends on the base operating system, memory, and cpu power. So what you are saying is they wrote new software that is compatible with the operating system onboard the Lucid Air to control all systems? I would love to be enlightened as I am sure Mr. Rawlinson will not give us a tech talk on how Lucid rewrote the Air’s software 11 months after their first delivery.
I respect that you have questions, but let’s try to enjoy ourselves and celebrate the win. :)

VMs are inherently slower than running native software. How much slower is sort of irrelevant, as the massive rewrite resulted in software that is a massive orders-of-magnitude improvement over the old version.

Let’s not focus on the past, and try to celebrate and focus on the future, as wallowing in the past is a game very few people gain enjoyment from playing. :)

Sure, they messed up 11 months ago, and admitted it. You’re right. And? They fixed it. Why focus on the past?

In hindsight, it was a gutsy call by Lucid to take the giant step back and do a complete re-write.

They essentially were brave enough to do a not so public, "we fucked up" admission which is very risky.
They could have kept trying to tweek the old version while adding functions but it never would have been up to the standards the car deserved.

They risked the anger and frustration of everyone over the past 10 months but hopefully this is now the base software they should have had and it'll grow properly from here.

I am glad they didn't try and Mickey Mouse the old one into being somewhere just below "adequate"

Last edited:
Needless to say I was a bit jealous for not being part of the elite beta tester club, :cool:; but in the same vein, thank them for volunteering and doing it.

Q for them: How long has this version been out for them?

Hmm, I just noticed and like the "miles on arrival" that was added on the left
20221007_061706.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back