Still wavering on the fence

So you’re saying we won’t be seeing a Lucid feature in the next Fast and Furious, Transformers, or Marvel action scene?
Anything is possible with CGI. But we Lucid owners will know better.

So you’re saying we won’t be seeing a Lucid feature in the next Fast and Furious, Transformers, or Marvel action scene?
The Lucid is perfect for the next Transporter movie

What finally tipped your decision to buy the Air, or to look elsewhere instead?

I'm still on the fence and seem to waver back and forth: very positive on the Air on a bright sunny morning when I've possibly had too much caffeine, turning negative when I realize that the software will probably be rough for at least another year (similar to my Tesla and Volvo experience), and seeing that Lucid currently has enough cash for perhaps only a few quarters of operation.

The GT's positives for me are:
1) Range, range, range. If not the for GT, I'd probably have to rent a gas car for remote trips - ugh.
2) Nice interior.
3) Comfortable ride.

Negatives:
1) It's a very large battery sedan to be driving around. Two feet longer than handy-sized, wide and low.
2) Software is likely to be rough and incomplete for at least another year for basic stability, or two years for level 2 driving autonomy.
3) Poor integration with my family's phones - no Google Maps or Navigation or third-party Android/AAOS apps.
4) It's a big bet on a startup.

I've got an idea, don't buy one. If I were you I'd look elsewhere as your very negative on Lucid. Hell, they may be out of business in a couple of quarters.

I have zero regrets. It’s the best car I’ve ever driven, and my friends who work on and drive exotics for a living actually said the same. They miss the “punch” of ICE, but it’s an absolutely perfect drive.

The interior is really appealing to me as well, as it isn’t insanely gaudy, and feels luxury and well-designed.

The range can’t be beat, and the service has been spectacular. The software isn’t without its faults, but even with those faults it’s the best car I’ve ever owned.
I feel the same way! I've owned BMW's, Audi's, Porsche's, McLaren's, as well as many others. While they all had there strengths and weakness the Lucid does everything well. Absolutely the most fun I've had driving in a long time.

I've got an idea, don't buy one. If I were you I'd look elsewhere as your very negative on Lucid. Hell, they may be out of business in a couple of quarters.
I think this is a bit unfair. It’s a lot of money, and it’s totally fine to be wary of dropping so much cash.

It’s just a car, after all. The best car I’ve ever driven, but still just a car.

I suggest test driving it. If that doesn’t make up your mind for you, I suspect nothing else will.

They wont be out of business. The Saudi's have deep pockets and, if nothing else, they would be sold to another automaker for their tech and production facilities. Lucid would make a nice luxury nameplate for a legacy automaker. However, I don't think that would happen.

I purchased the AGT and a Model 3 in the same month. Both are wonderful, the Lucid is the better luxury car, esp for pure driving pleasure, the 3 is the better total package, for now, and esp considering price. If price is remotely an issue, hard to argue with the 3, if $$ is not such an issue and you can both, be patient re Lucid software and you have confidence that they’ll deliver, then the Lucid is a better built car with luxury appointments and superior range. Like many, I am disappointed in Lucid for several reasons, but for now I am keeping the faith. Their internal customer service people and remote service people have been the best I’ve ever experienced. Surely their software dept is working hard and is stressed, but their challenges are not insurmountable. I hope this helps and best of luck With your decision.

So, I went to the Lucid studio in Beverly Hills today and did a test drive of the GT. The experience is fantastic👍. Lucid has the best EV as well as customer service IMO. I'm 100% confirming my order once the Pure gets into production. In fact, I kinda want to upgrade to Touring to get genuine leather seats and maybe can get it a little bit earlier😂.

Have you done test drive yet? I wasn't totally sure if I want the Air or not before today's test drive. Now, I've made up my mind that I'll definitely get her.

I think this is a bit unfair. It’s a lot of money, and it’s totally fine to be wary of dropping so much cash.

It’s just a car, after all. The best car I’ve ever driven, but still just a car.

I suggest test driving it. If that doesn’t make up your mind for you, I suspect nothing else will.
That WILL make them fall in love with the car unless they encounter a very hot day or do not like the low seats.
You know I have been down about my issues but NEVER about the Driving 😜😂

So, I went to the Lucid studio in Beverly Hills today and did a test drive of the GT. The experience is fantastic👍. Lucid has the best EV as well as customer service IMO. I'm 100% confirming my order once the Pure gets into production. In fact, I kinda want to upgrade to Touring to get genuine leather seats and maybe can get it a little bit earlier😂.

Have you done test drive yet? I wasn't totally sure if I want the Air or not before today's test drive. Now, I've made up my mind that I'll definitely get her.
BINGO! Just said that! If Money is Not an Issue and should not be if you are looking into buying one AFTER test driving You WILL Definitely buy it 🙌

I’ll be very curious what their leather substitute is like. For Mercedes I think their MB Tex is actually better than their standard leather, except for their $$$ Designo Nappa leather, so maybe Lucid’s will be great. The leather in the Air GT is great, but if their substitute leather is as good as MB Tex it may not be worth the extra cost.

I’ll be very curious what their leather substitute is like. For Mercedes I think their MB Tex is actually better than their standard leather, except for their $$$ Designo Nappa leather, so maybe Lucid’s will be great. The leather in the Air GT is great, but if their substitute leather is as good as MB Tex it may not be worth the extra cost.
Seconded. I have MB Tex currently and am very happy with it. Comfortable, zero maintenance, and most people think it's leather anyway. If Lucid offered an equivalent on the Touring trim it wouldn't be a hard sell.

I'm not at all negative on Lucid - just unsure if the Air is the best tradeoff for us. Every car has pros and cons that must be weighed in the eye of the beholder.

The goal of my original post was to find out if there were car attributes, considerations or a perspective I'd missed so far in my decision-making process. This group has been a great resource - many thoughtful, experienced users.

I have test driven the AGT twice. Felt better about it after the second drive. Right now, it seems like a reasonable ownership compromise while EV technology continues to develop. Other reasonable choices are Ioniq 5, GV60, Polestar 3 - but I need the AGT's range and really do not want another gas car, even if it means accepting other tradeoffs.

I owned a tent-built Model 3 performance for four years and am a bit negative on that. No more Tesla vehicles for me until they make a small SUV with a quiet controlled ride, blind spot warning in side mirrors, 360-degree parking cams, auto rear cross-traffic/pedestrian braking, etc. Took them ten years to add GPS waypoint capability to their navigation software, so I expect it'll be a while.

I'm thinking now that my AGT's VIN will be assigned within a couple months, and I'll probably go ahead with it. The range will enable some nice adventures.

I have test driven the AGT twice. Felt better about it after the second drive. Right now, it seems like a reasonable ownership compromise while EV technology continues to develop. Other reasonable choices are Ioniq 5, GV60, Polestar 3 - but I need the AGT's range and really do not want another gas car, even if it means accepting other tradeoffs.
That is my reason - range, range and range. It will be our trip car to get rid of the gas and we need the range. It is also comfortable and drives extremely well. It is the best driving car since we had the Lexus. I should be able to put up with software glitches if they are not too frequent.

Since you haven’t driven an EV before, it’s important to note that even though the pure is listed at 406 miles, you will definitely not get 400 miles, even driving from 100%-0%. It will be much closer to 300. That’s not a bad thing, but if you’re requiring 400, you will not get that out of a pure unless driven in the most perfect of conditions (flat, no head-wind, 55-65 mph, perfect ambient temp). The car will charge very fast and I assume you need to stop and eat, use the restroom etc (perfect time to top up charging). Overall, great car to road trip no matter what, just set your expectations!
I figure normally at best 240. Start at 80% (or if charging stop at 80%), then take another 25% off for real world driving in an almost 500 HP car. But one would have to do at least the same calculations for other car companies but at least Lucid starts at a higher point and is one of the more efficient cars at using electricity.

I purchased the AGT and a Model 3 in the same month. Both are wonderful, the Lucid is the better luxury car, esp for pure driving pleasure, the 3 is the better total package, for now, and esp considering price. If price is remotely an issue, hard to argue with the 3, if $$ is not such an issue and you can both, be patient re Lucid software and you have confidence that they’ll deliver, then the Lucid is a better built car with luxury appointments and superior range. Like many, I am disappointed in Lucid for several reasons, but for now I am keeping the faith. Their internal customer service people and remote service people have been the best I’ve ever experienced. Surely their software dept is working hard and is stressed, but their challenges are not insurmountable. I hope this helps and best of luck With your decision.
Aside from build quality, and the fact that I don't worship at the feet of Elon, I would never buy a car where I have to look sideways to see how fast I am going. To me, that automatically eliminates the 3 and the Y regardless of other issues.

I figure normally at best 240. Start at 80% (or if charging stop at 80%), then take another 25% off for real world driving in an almost 500 HP car. But one would have to do at least the same calculations for other car companies but at least Lucid starts at a higher point and is one of the more efficient cars at using electricity.
That’s a nice, conservative number. For road-tripping purposes, and those of us who like to push it (I have a 466 mile round trip excursion planned this weekend where I will try it on one charge) I’d say you could get 300-320 out of the Pure without having to worry about “hyper-milling” it.

This is almost exactly the kind of calculation I did to predict road trip range on our Dream Performance with 21" wheels. And it's almost exactly what we experienced on our recent ~2,000 mile road trip driving mostly around 80 mph in hot (100+) weather.

We drove several legs of 220-240 miles, starting with 90-92% charge and ending with 29-32% charge remaining.

I'm not at all negative on Lucid - just unsure if the Air is the best tradeoff for us. Every car has pros and cons that must be weighed in the eye of the beholder.

The goal of my original post was to find out if there were car attributes, considerations or a perspective I'd missed so far in my decision-making process. This group has been a great resource - many thoughtful, experienced users.

I owned a tent-built Model 3 performance for four years and am a bit negative on that. No more Tesla vehicles for me until they make a small SUV with a quiet controlled ride, blind spot warning in side mirrors, 360-degree parking cams, auto rear cross-traffic/pedestrian braking, etc. Took them ten years to add GPS waypoint capability to their navigation software, so I expect it'll be a while.

I'm thinking now that my AGT's VIN will be assigned within a couple months, and I'll probably go ahead with it. The range will enable some nice adventures.
I’ve been absent from the forum for a while, so I haven’t answered your original question. Glad to give my 2 cents:

You have to want a “special “car to justify owning a Lucid. It is special, and different - and you pay the price for that in the purchase price and also tolerating the myriad of little quirks it still suffers. i think this might be true of all EVs (maybe all ICE cars, too?) - they’ll have their quirks. I’ve had my DE for 4 months and 1600 miles. Here are my Chief complaints at the moment: I’m using my garage door remote clipped to the sun visor because the built-in Homelink is incorrigible. There is a small squeak/groan in the steering column (scheduled to be repaired by device). The FM tuner is completely out - no radio at all (also scheduled to be repaired). I can’t park it in the sun for too long or the interior will get quite hot, causing the car to cool itself (and use up battery). The windshield reflection of the stitched line on the dash is pretty bad during daylight hours. It’s not as open and airy as my Model S (but I realize you don’t want a Tesla): Visibility on the front quarter is a struggle because the A-pillar is too thick, and the side windows are too narrow and create a slightly confined feeling. The glass roof requires sunglasses and a hat during the day. The rear trunk has a narrow opening that makes it harder to put a bike in than the Model S. With the 21” DE wheels, hitting manholes and potholes can be jarring. The drivetrain emits a whine - it is not silent like my Model S. The Spotify always goes back to the first song on your playlist each time you get in the car. The wiper/washers (although superior to my older Tesla’s) leave water all over the windshield. Oh, and of course the big one: unlocking the car is iffy and can require a bit of patience and/or planning ahead.

All of those little complaints are offset by the fact that it is very comfortable, has massaging and cooling seats that work well, handles very well for a big sedan, has a huge backseat, has one-pedal driving that is nearly perfect and far superior to my Tesla, has power window shades, has a nice big frunk, chargers VERY fast on EA chargers, has enough range that you never have to think about it, gets attention everywhere it goes, and will blast from 25-130 mph in about 1 second (as long as wife is not in the car).

It’s a special car, with special quirks and delights.

Back