Still wavering on the fence

What attributes makes a vehicle the ideal one for a young professional starting a family? It has plenty of storage. Plenty of room for passengers. Rear doors open wide not just for ease of entry for old people but getting car seats in and out, getting kids in and out. As shown by a couple of members, back seat can accommodate 3 car seats so has room for an expanding young family. If you are looking for the "ideal" in utility for a family, it's a minivan. Sliding side doors so you get full access even in tight parking spaces and you have to get your kid in their seat or help buckle them in.
Not having to wait 30 mins to 1 hour to charge when long distance traveling.
Hatchback for strollers and also easier to change diapers with that config but can maybe get some custom table/baby changing station to fit the frunk.

My friend with a baby got the Volvo XC60 Recharge. @n8236

How do folks think the resale value will be for the GT and touring. Will it hold its value as well as Tesla in a few years?
Don't have a clue about holding it's value but I am guessing that Tesla will not do as well as it has. This is the beginning of REAL competition for Tesla. BMW, Lucid, MB, Porsche are all viable alternatives. If Genesis ups their range, they will also be viable. If reservation numbers are any indicator, GM is going to be a strong competitor. Hyundai/Kia along with others are going after the M3/MY market. At some point, Toyota/Lexus will get their act together. Tesla held its value because they were the only game in town. They have a loyal base but those open to alternatives or turned off by the ubiquity of Tesla finally are finding viable options. People aren't just defaulting to Tesla anymore so I think that in a few years, the demand for used Teslas will be lower than they are now. Everyone is trying to ramp up production to meet demand.

With the coming purchase of a GT, it opens up what I will consider in replacing my wife's Prius since range will not be as large a factor - all those options with ~300 mile EPA range coming in the next few years will be acceptable. Looking forward to see what's available then. But just as competition will dampen Tesla resale value along with rising supply, probably the same holds true for Lucid. For technology companies, it's Innovate or Die. What will Lucid do to stay ahead?

Hatchback for strollers and also easier to change diapers with that config but can maybe get some custom table/baby changing station to fit the frunk.

I've seen a couple of comments about wheelchairs or strollers not fitting into the Lucid trunk. My former partner had early-onset dementia, and I had to take a wheelchair along for a couple of years. When collapsed for transport I think it would have easily fit into the Lucid trunk, and I suspect the same is true for a stroller. The only issue might be if you had to carry multiple wheelchairs or strollers.

Also, with a sizable recess under the trunk floor, a frunk considerably larger than a Tesla's, and most German EV's having no frunk at all, I think you'd still be left with a lot of room for luggage and other carry-alongs in the Air.

I get the point about changing diapers, but a Lucid will charge faster than any other EV for a given amount of added range. The only way around the diaper-changing / car-charging issue is to stay with an ICE vehicle . . . but then you've got to deal with gas fill-ups when you're not doing long-distance travel, which is only a small minority of the driving most people do in their cars. To me, at least, avoiding gas stations for 48-50 weeks of the year is a welcome trade for having to spend an extra half hour at a charger a few times on a long road trip.

Just my personal experience. I got HRE p101sc’s. My OEM wheels weighed in at around 38 lbs. The HRE’s came in around 23. The effects of reducing that 60 lbs of unsprung weight have been astonishing. I just did the wheel swap for cosmetic reasons and didn’t expect much else. Super pleased. Will post a separate thread with a more thorough review as don’t want to hijack this one.
You think shedding 60 lbs. of tire weight helped? I dumped my fat girlfriend and the car screams off the line. Lol

Just curious. Does anyone know what the 21" Dream Edition wheels weigh? I believe they're the only true forged wheels in the Lucid lineup.

... I think that a good "driver's car" would have physical buttons to control more options so that you don't need to look for a button on a screen or talk to your car.
Agree with that. I love it when I'm in an unfamiliar vehicle and the controls make sense in location and touch, so that you learn them quickly and can switch the most needed things by muscle memory. You can tell this is important if you watched Star Trek (the real one, the first series from the 1960's). The bridge was filled with knobs and buttons and sliders. The future knows.
1657244037355.png

1657243725030.png

Here's an example. We have an '05 ES330 (fancy Camry) since new. I don't drive it much but took it to the car wash drive thru one day and the auto wipers came on while being dragged helplessly into a soapy maw. The entire trip through the flailing spindles I pulled on and twisted and pushed every knob and lever and stalk I could lay my hands on, and never found the position that would fully turn off the wipers That's bad design.

I can't imagine that experience with only a laptop sitting on the dash, or some monster TV monitor thingie with layers and layers of menus, and now I have to hope my logic of under what sub-menu I'd put the "shut the damn wipers off now!" icon matches what the software designers thinks makes sense., and how many layers down it is, and what the darn icon even looks like. That's bad design.

Notice that the Star Trek controls are odd-shaped lit crystals in all different colors. Size, shape, position, and color tell you instantly the function and importance. You can see the whole panel, nothing is hidden. Notice Lt. Sulu drives the ship without looking at his crystals, he knows where they are and can spot them peripherally; hand on the throttle like Casey Jones. Mr. Scott teleports people by hand, not by computer program, carefully feathering the power sliders while watching the de-atomization of the landing party. That is the future. No touch screens thank you. This is why all the following series are crap. They are all rubbing their greasy paws this way and that over a featurelss tactileless void... using unimaginative old school touchscreens. That's bullshit. Is that the icon I want? Did I press hard enough? Is it woking at all? Do I swipe it up or sideways or oh shit what did I just do? Hand-waving virtual reality gloves.... I hope I die first.

I"m still learning the sub menus on the E63...had the car years...don't even know 20%, and don't even know if that's right. The owner's manual is digital too, so I can't find it at all. I have no idea how to work the car, so i googeutub to find a video. Give me a damn book please. I'll study it on the toilet. Example II: I finally got a new "smart phone" (only feature I use besides phone is the clock). I could not find under what menu and sub menu was the link to the car. Weeks went by...I still don't know how to access the digital owner's manual...then one day, quite by accident, I bumped the select knob and the menu reveiled that the phone sync was the last item on the list, which was a scroll down, a scroll down on the next page, the only thing on that page, a page I never saw or knew was there. That's bad design.

So many of the mechanical bits behind the dash and under the hood are gone though, and that's good because the bits they connect to are mostly no longer mechanical either. Like, how long has it been since you drove a car with a throttle linkage? I'm the guy who set his points with a matchbook cover, had a timing light and a chalk mark...all old school "why when I was a kid" stuff. Digital is cheaper, and you have much more ultimate control, and you can tweak-out the bugs with software and add features...we have to adapt. Think how much easier it will be to change the menu layouts with software, rather than moving the wiper stalk on my '05 Camry, or bending the kink out of a sticky throttle link. We'll sort this out.

But a few buttons and knobs, I totally agree, make the whole experience more intuitive and allow the driver to focus on driving. I don't want a car with a dash that looks like the ATM at my bank. I want to drive like Sulu.

That is, I think I want to drive... I confess there is a big factor about EVs that I am very much looking forward to, and that is neutralizing all the bad, unpredictable, and inattentive drivers. Soon the cars will all be talking to one another. I love this safety feature. I hope I live to see it happen.

The day I picked-up the E63 I was in Bethesda, at rush hour. Never been there before. Never driven modern Merc. Never had a car with a push button...I did not know what to do with the key they gave me. They linked my phone and activated every feature, things I had no idea were even in cars. Within a block of the dealership I was at a jam-packed intersection looking every witchway, already lost, with a mysterious voice (ways?) telling me "there's too much traffic, go the other way, idiot". Cleared the left, turned to the right and suddenly the brakes locked and brought me to a dead stop (carbon brake option). A pedestrian had run through the intersection diagonally, taking advantage of the rush-hour chaos, and had the car not seen him ( I sure did not) I'd have crushed him. My digital car saved us, and I had no clue I was even in danger.

This is why I'm OK with giving in to computer menus over slow-reflexs and rows and rows of knobs and switches. You get a lot more.
Driving up 95 was a blast, racing the Acela North of Baltimore (passed it effortlessly in very light traffic). But a trip to NYC on the Jersey pike is terrifying all the time ... I'm too old for this stress of people passing on all sides pointlessly tailgating and cluelessly slowing as they try to merge. Let the cars sort this out so I can enjoy my Beatles CDs. There is no need for a "driver's car" on roads like that.

Last edited:
Nice post...you sound like an old fogie like me (I listen to the Beatles channel on SXM). But I don't think there has to be a disconnect between physical buttons and switches for functions one might want to control while driving and the remaining controls on a touchscreen.

I remember many years ago I rented a car in San Diego at the airport. They gave me a Chrysler PT. I got to the gate to show my paperwork to the attendant and I couldn't open the window. It was the first time I had ever been in a car where the window controls weren't on the door (they were on the dash in the middle of the car). I wish car makers would agree on common controls for these functions one needs while driving (such as the rain controlled windshield wipers, window control locations, etc.)

The Lucid wiper controls are on the left screen on the glass cockpit, there is no physical control outside of pressing the left stalk to activate the windshield sprayers which in turn wipe for a few seconds!

The Lucid wiper controls are on the left screen on the glass cockpit, there is no physical control outside of pressing the left stalk to activate the windshield sprayers which in turn wipe for a few seconds!

Actually, the button on the stalk has dual functions. A brief press inward activates a single swipe; a harder press further inward is what activates the windshield sprayers.

I have owned a Tycan turbo and a model s and a model x refresh. The lucid Gt touring is a combination of the best of all three with more range and better tech. Sure the software needs work but I experienced similar issues with Tesla and Porsche . It is a world calls EV with head turning styling and worth every penny.

I have owned a Tycan turbo and a model s and a model x refresh. The lucid Gt touring is a combination of the best of all three with more range and better tech. Sure the software needs work but I experienced similar issues with Tesla and Porsche . It is a world calls EV with head turning styling and worth every penny.
Not that I can afford the Tycan Turbo but can you give more insight into why you feel the Lucid is better than the Porsche (besides range)?

Not that I can afford the Tycan Turbo but can you give more insight into why you feel the Lucid is better than the Porsche (besides range)?
Why even compare the 2. A sport 2 door against a 4 door that has more room and trunk/frunk space with Lucid 512 mile range to Tycan's 192 mile range. In winter you might get 120 range which won't do too well on very many trips.

I can get a BOB jogging stroller into a compact sedan trunk along with another full size Britax stroller. Changing a diaper only takes a flat surface slightly larger than the baby. I'm sure someone on the forum that has more recent experience changing diapers could change one in less than a minute (assuming just wet, not solids). The diaper bag has a pad to place the baby on - that's all the "changing station" required. Of course, I'm from the dark ages, maybe today's parents require much more.

I can get a BOB jogging stroller into a compact sedan trunk along with another full size Britax stroller. Changing a diaper only takes a flat surface slightly larger than the baby. I'm sure someone on the forum that has more recent experience changing diapers could change one in less than a minute (assuming just wet, not solids). The diaper bag has a pad to place the baby on - that's all the "changing station" required. Of course, I'm from the dark ages, maybe today's parents require much more.
Shoot, I used to change my twins on the driver seat lol. In the Lucid, best place to change a diaper is the frunk shelf imo.

Not sure what thread I clicked but some of the above is TMI and a reminder how glad I am to be past those days. Some will wax on the joys of grand-parenting (& I’ll admit some jealousy for now) but the days of planning diaper changes? Uh uh.

My brother got a Model S 6 years ago and my son had an early Model 3. From my experience driving both, neither had software as bad as my DE.

Just my observation so no need to jump on me.

My friend with a baby got the Volvo XC60 Recharge. @n8236
I put my MINU stroller in the frunk for my 16 month old, change her diaper on the floor of the back seat (thanks scotch guard!) and the 90 degree door openings are so great because I can put the kid’s bag on the back seat floor at the same time my wife is putting her in the car seat. This thing is a great family car, certainly beats the tubby SUV crap everyone thinks they need if they have a kid. And when we go to the beach we put all the beach stuff in the sub-trunk so the rest of the trunk never gets sand or mess everywhere. This car has way more utility than a “sport utility” vehicle… just don’t take it off road haha.

I put my MINU stroller in the frunk for my 16 month old, change her diaper on the floor of the back seat (thanks scotch guard!) and the 90 degree door openings are so great because I can put the kid’s bag on the back seat floor at the same time my wife is putting her in the car seat. This thing is a great family car, certainly beats the tubby SUV crap everyone thinks they need if they have a kid. And when we go to the beach we put all the beach stuff in the sub-trunk so the rest of the trunk never gets sand or mess everywhere. This car has way more utility than a “sport utility” vehicle… just don’t take it off road haha.
Completely agree. He have a Pacifica as well and we choose the Lucid on long road trips for plenty of reasons. The Pacifica will be up for sell shortly. Just held on to it to make sure our family of five could make it work. Plenty of room inside and an abundance of storage for bags in the trunk and frunk for week-long (or more) road trips. Love the car!

Back