Still wavering on the fence

Not sure what thread I clicked but some of the above is TMI and a reminder how glad I am to be past those days. Some will wax on the joys of grand-parenting (& I’ll admit some jealousy for now) but the days of planning diaper changes? Uh uh.
Sorry about the off topic but I am loving reading about kid issues/cars/strollers.
Just hours ago celebrated family grandparents 90th birthdays. Young relatives brought babies.
You know people...things are so weird now, ... I'm about to go all-in on astrology and stuff...
Bringing us back on topic... have any of you seen the way the planets align in the mornings ?

this is a cool place

Last edited:
I have owned a Tycan turbo and a model s and a model x refresh. The lucid Gt touring is a combination of the best of all three with more range and better tech. Sure the software needs work but I experienced similar issues with Tesla and Porsche . It is a world calls EV with head turning styling and worth every penny.
Curious what tech is on the Lucid that is better than the Tesla? Maybe 360 degree cameras, but not sure what else compared to refresh Model S?

My brother got a Model S 6 years ago and my son had an early Model 3. From my experience driving both, neither had software as bad as my DE.

Just my observation so no need to jump on me.

I think the software experience varies widely. Our first Tesla was a 2015 Model S P90D, produced three years after Model S production began. The software's performance was sporadic throughout the six years we owned it. While it performed as expected more often than our Lucid has so far, it was never flawless despite continuing OTA updates throughout the time we had it.

The USB music stick seldom worked correctly. Even though we left it plugged in all the time, every time we called up a song after starting the car we waited several minutes while the entire library had to reload. Then it would play a few songs and freeze.

We often had to reboot the software during a drive, especially the first couple of years. Every week or two throughout our ownership we would get a message that none of the driver assistance features were available. The voice recognition program was iffy at the outset and actually worsened with later updates to the point that we quit using it for everything except putting addresses into navigation (which mysteriously worked much better than other voice-activated commands).

The situation did improve with our 2021 Model S Plaid. However, as with Lucid, the car launched with certain advertised features not enabled until well after delivery, such as active noise cancellation, turn signal cancelling on lane changes, etc. We've had the car for almost 11 months now, and the doors still do not respond reliably to the key fob. Occasionally, the door handles will not extend upon approach with either or both the key fob or our mobile keys with us. At those times, we can only open the car with the key card which, for this reason, we keep with us at all times. Sometimes the doors will open with the key fob, but then the car won't start, at which times we have to rub the key card on the wireless charger pad. And the old recurrent gremlin in our earlier Tesla of excessively long wake-up times still occurs on rare occasions.

We've been grappling with software issues for the seven years we've been driving EVs. Over that time, all manufacturers -- and especially EV manufacturers -- seem to be making more and more features available only through software menus and getting further and further ahead of what software can reliably do. I recently watched Ben Sullins' report on one month of Rivian R1T ownership, and it was the same old song: a voice recognition system that is unusable, a suspension that mysteriously raises and lowers while sitting at a traffic light, having to go into a software menu for almost every operating feature of the vehicle when a manual switch would make far more sense for both convenience and safety.

I am absolutely addicted to electric powertrains, but I still pine for metal car keys, tactile switches for audio controls and wipers, glovebox latches, backup CD players, and old-fashioned mechanical door handles. I'm just tired of walking up to my EV and wondering what will and won't be working this time.

Curious what tech is on the Lucid that is better than the Tesla? Maybe 360 degree cameras, but not sure what else compared to refresh Model S?

What is better on our Lucid Dream than on our Model S Plaid is that audio volume and AC can be controlled with tactile switches available to both passenger and driver and that features such as wipers, exterior lights, door locking, and drive modes can all be accessed without going into submenus.

I think the software experience varies widely. Our first Tesla was a 2015 Model S P90D, produced three years after Model S production began. The software's performance was sporadic throughout the six years we owned it. While it performed as expected more often than our Lucid has so far, it was never flawless despite continuing OTA updates throughout the time we had it.

The USB music stick seldom worked correctly. Even though we left it plugged in all the time, every time we called up a song after starting the car we waited several minutes while the entire library had to reload. Then it would play a few songs and freeze.

We often had to reboot the software during a drive, especially the first couple of years. Every week or two throughout our ownership we would get a message that none of the driver assistance features were available. The voice recognition program was iffy at the outset and actually worsened with later updates to the point that we quit using it for everything except putting addresses into navigation (which mysteriously worked much better than other voice-activated commands).

The situation did improve with our 2021 Model S Plaid. However, as with Lucid, the car launched with certain advertised features not enabled until well after delivery, such as active noise cancellation, turn signal cancelling on lane changes, etc. We've had the car for almost 11 months now, and the doors still do not respond reliably to the key fob. Occasionally, the door handles will not extend upon approach with either or both the key fob or our mobile keys with us. At those times, we can only open the car with the key card which, for this reason, we keep with us at all times. Sometimes the doors will open with the key fob, but then the car won't start, at which times we have to rub the key card on the wireless charger pad. And the old recurrent gremlin in our earlier Tesla of excessively long wake-up times still occurs on rare occasions.

We've been grappling with software issues for the seven years we've been driving EVs. Over that time, all manufacturers -- and especially EV manufacturers -- seem to be making more and more features available only through software menus and getting further and further ahead of what software can reliably do. I recently watched Ben Sullins' report on one month of Rivian R1T ownership, and it was the same old song: a voice recognition system that is unusable, a suspension that mysteriously raises and lowers while sitting at a traffic light, having to go into a software menu for almost every operating feature of the vehicle when a manual switch would make far more sense for both convenience and safety.

I am absolutely addicted to electric powertrains, but I still pine for metal car keys, tactile switches for audio controls and wipers, glovebox latches, backup CD players, and old-fashioned mechanical door handles. I'm just tired of walking up to my EV and wondering what will and won't be working this time.

+1. I so agree with this post that it required more than a simple "like"!

+1. I so agree with this post that it required more than a simple "like"!
My Tesla recently stopped unlocking for me unless I physically take my phone out of my pocket. That had been working perfectly for years. I have no idea if it was an update from Tesla or an update from Apple that caused this.

You’re right that this has become the “norm” for modern vehicles, and particularly EVs.

There are so many variables when you try to do so much via software. Car manufacturers want to limit the physical buttons because it’s cheaper, and there are fewer parts that might break. But it’s a trade off, for sure. Updates can bring marvelous new functionality. But they can also break things that had been working just fine.

This is why I worry when I see so many posts from people who are happy they will get their cars six months or ten months from now, when supposedly Lucid will have “fixed all these issues.” They will never fix every issue. They will fix some things, and probably break others. There will always be some bugs.

I feel like some folks are setting themselves up for disappointment.

This is why I worry when I see so many posts from people who are happy they will get their cars six months or ten months from now, when supposedly Lucid will have “fixed all these issues.” They will never fix every issue. They will fix some things, and probably break others. There will always be some bugs.

I feel like some folks are setting themselves up for disappointment.
The issue I see is that almost 50% of Lucid’s customers (per a poll on here a couple months ago) will be first time EV buyers, like myself. We will not be comparing this to Tesla or any other EV. That comparison is lost on us whenever it is made. Many of us remember Peter proclaiming that they were targeting the MB S Class customers, quite a high bar even though I do not like MB.

I have been in this forum for months, so I hope my expectations have been set regarding the warts the current car has. That being said, many, many customers are not on this forum and may have expectations that have not been tempered by others’ experiences, both with other EVs and with Lucid. This reality makes it more imperative that Lucid does as much as it can, as quickly as it can, to address and remove these warts.

They do not want the reputation (like I thought of Tesla) as high priced gadgetry that doesn’t work as well or finished as well as what I already have. They are looking for progress in technology, which this car has in many areas, but the software experience will tend to dampen that optimism If they do not show consistent and constant progress providing what they said they could provide.

I think the major issues have been fixed, especially throughout the 1.x.x versions. From what I am hearing 1.2.6 was a major update that fixed a lot Of the remaining issues. Since I have not experienced any other versions, I find the current one adequate. Are there some annoyances? Sure, like closing my garage from Homelink. Like the NAV system, although I have NEVER really liked any vehicle’s NAV system in the 20or so years we have had them on the cars, so that doesn’t bother me. Although, it was easy to fine the EA stations with it. But those aren’t bugs. Just quirks of the software.

I have not had any glitches except for the one time picking up the car when we couldnt get the ventilated seats to work. A reboot fixed it. I do find CarPlay a feature that first timers will be comparing Lucid too. It also will fix any shortcomings. I can use my Waze and would have no issues with the NAV, like my other cars. Making something like the NAV better is resource intensive. Why reinvent it when CarPlay would solve it for most people. I would rather Lucid continue an squash bugs rather than making features better that one could use through CarPlay. Work on Lucid specific items for the interface. Leave generic things to other app makers.

and, yes, I‘ll agree with others. Would rather the hardware be right as it can’t be easily fixed later. Software can always be better through OTA updates. Lucid got the hardware right.

I think the major issues have been fixed, especially throughout the 1.x.x versions. From what I am hearing 1.2.6 was a major update that fixed a lot Of the remaining issues. Since I have not experienced any other versions, I find the current one adequate. Are there some annoyances? Sure, like closing my garage from Homelink. Like the NAV system, although I have NEVER really liked any vehicle’s NAV system in the 20or so years we have had them on the cars, so that doesn’t bother me. Although, it was easy to fine the EA stations with it. But those aren’t bugs. Just quirks of the software.
So with CarPlay support, you won't use those. I use CarPlay to open my garage doors, I use Waze or Google Maps in CarPlay for NAV, etc. I think CarPlay and Android Auto will be a big deal.

So with CarPlay support, you won't use those. I use CarPlay to open my garage doors, I use Waze or Google Maps in CarPlay for NAV, etc. I think CarPlay and Android Auto will be a big deal.
I actually find MyQ to close the garage door from the phone more trouble than the current scenario of closing the backup camera and opening Homelink on the Lucid. When I am trying to open and close from the phone, MyQ sometimes takes a minute or more to connect. I’m standing outside saying to myself, wI’ll it be faster if I just unlock the front door, go into the house to the garage and push the garage door opener?

I am going old school, clicker on the sun visor for me.

I can’t wait to see the delivery guy’s expression when the first thing I do is clip that thing to the visor, maybe he will get the hint and pass that on to the guys in Newark…Not passive aggressive at all…

I actually find MyQ to close the garage door from the phone more trouble than the current scenario of closing the backup camera and opening Homelink on the Lucid. When I am trying to open and close from the phone, MyQ sometimes takes a minute or more to connect. I’m standing outside saying to myself, wI’ll it be faster if I just unlock the front door, go into the house to the garage and push the garage door opener?
In our other cars, including an AMG EQS, I just reach up and push a button to open the garage door. Simple, effective and fast.

Ford F250, Cadillac XT5 and MB SL550 I also just push the button in the vehicle to open/close garage doors and front gate. I see no need to use the phone for this at all.
Add BMW and Volvo to that list. It really amazes me how we, as humans, love to try something different that only ends up complicating things. If it ain’t broke…

Hmm, I don't have that issue with MyQ and HomeKit.

...Why reinvent it when CarPlay would solve it for most people. I would rather Lucid continue an squash bugs rather than making features better that one could use through CarPlay...
Many of us do not use Apple products, so engineering time spent on CarPlay would be wasted on us. Our other AAOS-based EV uses Google apps natively (Google Assistant, Google Maps, and streaming apps - Volvo, Polestar, GM brands, and others to come) so Android Auto support wouldn't add much functionality. But Lucid took a path that may require implementing both CarPlay and Android Auto to make everyone happy.

In our other cars, including an AMG EQS, I just reach up and push a button to open the garage door. Simple, effective and fast.

Same with our Honda minivan -- very discreet buttons at the bottom of the rearview mirror that clutter nothing, are easy to reach, and always work.

It really amazes me how we, as humans, love to try something different that only ends up complicating things. If it ain’t broke…

And thus the Tesla joke yoke.

I swear, cars are getting less user-friendly with each new model.

Back