• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Still wavering on the fence

If one is prepared to "drive" a car where one has to look sideways to see how fast one is driving, etc. I am not.
I was surprised how little the speedometer on the right actually bothered me in practice. For one, I don't really focus on my speed much. I can feel when I'm going too fast or slow. For another, the placement and typography in that top left corner is one of the few areas I have no complaints about with Tesla's software. They pretty much nailed that bit.

I've always loved how Porsche and other performance car manufacturers would place the emphasis on the tachometer over speed. Of course, you don't need a tach on an EV.

The fact that the REST of the entire left side of the screen is taken up by an animation of what the car sees, which in practice is completely useless to me as a driver, I can't forgive as easily. Some of the most valuable real estate on that screen, devoted to what amounts to a video game. And there's no way to reduce its size or make it go away.

When I drove the Lucid, I found it immediately refreshing having an instrument cluster in front of me. It was much better for things like turning cameras, cruise control functionality, etc. I'd love to see them drop a map in the right part of that center screen, so I could see my next turn info without looking to the right.

But the speedometer. Meh. I wouldn't really care if my car didn't have a speedometer.

The weirdest part of the Model 3 is driving at night, where there's nothing but darkness in the cockpit directly in front of you. That takes some getting used to. But it actually helps a bit with focusing on the road, I find.

I have a brand new 3 and a AGT, Lucid drives better, 3 better at everything else. If $$ or patience an issue, then……
I disagree 3 is better at everything else. I drove new 3. Constantly looking into middle of car for all things and video image is not better at everything else.

I think the last few postings in this thread demonstrate the truth of the saying "different strokes for different folks". That is why we no longer can get any color on a car so long as it is black!

I am not a Lucid fanboy as I have deliberately reserved a Pure in part so I can see what a more fully tested Lucid will be like. If it does not pass muster, there will be other choices out there (I have a deposit down on an AWD Cadillac Lyriq as a current backup). But Tesla just doesn't do it for me.

I was surprised how little the speedometer on the right actually bothered me in practice. For one, I don't really focus on my speed much. I can feel when I'm going too fast or slow. For another, the placement and typography in that top left corner is one of the few areas I have no complaints about with Tesla's software. They pretty much nailed that bit.

I've always loved how Porsche and other performance car manufacturers would place the emphasis on the tachometer over speed. Of course, you don't need a tach on an EV.

The fact that the REST of the entire left side of the screen is taken up by an animation of what the car sees, which in practice is completely useless to me as a driver, I can't forgive as easily. Some of the most valuable real estate on that screen, devoted to what amounts to a video game. And there's no way to reduce its size or make it go away.

When I drove the Lucid, I found it immediately refreshing having an instrument cluster in front of me. It was much better for things like turning cameras, cruise control functionality, etc. I'd love to see them drop a map in the right part of that center screen, so I could see my next turn info without looking to the right.

But the speedometer. Meh. I wouldn't really care if my car didn't have a speedometer.

The weirdest part of the Model 3 is driving at night, where there's nothing but darkness in the cockpit directly in front of you. That takes some getting used to. But it actually helps a bit with focusing on the road, I find.
I would love to see a tachometer on the Air and the look on passengers faces that are used to ICE rpm levels. Just how high are rpm levels at launch?😊

What is better on our Lucid Dream than on our Model S Plaid is that audio volume and AC can be controlled with tactile switches available to both passenger and driver and that features such as wipers, exterior lights, door locking, and drive modes can all be accessed without going into submenus.
Yes. And that’s what I use 90% of the time!

none of this is meant to be personal. I do not find the Tesla 3 screen and mph to be problematic at all. I do find that the Lucid steering wheel blocks my view of the cruise control functions, which is problematic for me
Eh? This is a first considering the cruise functions are all in the middle of the screen.

I would love to see a tachometer on the Air and the look on passengers faces that are used to ICE rpm levels. Just how high are rpm levels at launch?😊
Air has this charging and consuming energy circular meter constantly moving to sensitivity of accelerator pressure. It sort of like RPM on tachometer.

I would like see Lucid develop an instantaneous kWh consumption graphic meter like what is on Model-S.
8DE58DF3-D53D-4497-94DB-E7661098EB2B.jpeg

Last edited:
Top of steering wheel hits just where my eye goes to see cruise control info.
AGT left me stranded while in a rush to get to the airport , had to have my daughter take me in her 3. I love driving the AGT,but just ask lucid customer care how many times I’ve called and they agree that the # of issues I’ve had is simply too many.

AGT left me stranded while in a rush to get to the airport , had to have my daughter take me in her 3. I love driving the AGT,but just ask lucid customer care how many times I’ve called and they agree that the # of issues I’ve had is simply too many.
Is that steering wheel position the only position that is comfortable for you? I've found that if you shift the steering wheel up by a half an inch or so, that view blockage can disappear.

You know you can adjust steering wheel column digitally and save under profile for every driver…

I find this also. Typically I like the steering wheel lower so that I can rest my arm on my legs. I can raise the steering wheel and extend it and rest my arm on the center console. That works good for visibility and would be better if the steering wheel extended further. This is the option I use but it is not perfect either.

If one is prepared to "drive" a car where one has to look sideways to see how fast one is driving, etc. I am not.
Then Model S or X would be for you I came from BMW, after leasing new 5 Series all the time and still own a 18 X5 35d. At first, I thought I would really dislike the Model S/Tesla, but after 7 months of ownership think it is a great car and now could not go back to my normal 5 Series, unless it was an EV. :)

Then Model S or X would be for you I came from BMW, after leasing new 5 Series all the time and still own a 18 X5 35d. At first, I thought I would really dislike the Model S/Tesla, but after 7 months of ownership think it is a great car and now could not go back to my normal 5 Series, unless it was an EV. :)
If I had to get a Tesla, you are correct. But I can also do without a yoke. I just don't trust the way Teslas' are put together and all the issues with autopilot and the failure to report problems to NHTSA put me off Teslas.

I’ve been absent from the forum for a while, so I haven’t answered your original question. Glad to give my 2 cents:

You have to want a “special “car to justify owning a Lucid. It is special, and different - and you pay the price for that in the purchase price and also tolerating the myriad of little quirks it still suffers. i think this might be true of all EVs (maybe all ICE cars, too?) - they’ll have their quirks. I’ve had my DE for 4 months and 1600 miles. Here are my Chief complaints at the moment: I’m using my garage door remote clipped to the sun visor because the built-in Homelink is incorrigible. There is a small squeak/groan in the steering column (scheduled to be repaired by device). The FM tuner is completely out - no radio at all (also scheduled to be repaired). I can’t park it in the sun for too long or the interior will get quite hot, causing the car to cool itself (and use up battery). The windshield reflection of the stitched line on the dash is pretty bad during daylight hours. It’s not as open and airy as my Model S (but I realize you don’t want a Tesla): Visibility on the front quarter is a struggle because the A-pillar is too thick, and the side windows are too narrow and create a slightly confined feeling. The glass roof requires sunglasses and a hat during the day. The rear trunk has a narrow opening that makes it harder to put a bike in than the Model S. With the 21” DE wheels, hitting manholes and potholes can be jarring. The drivetrain emits a whine - it is not silent like my Model S. The Spotify always goes back to the first song on your playlist each time you get in the car. The wiper/washers (although superior to my older Tesla’s) leave water all over the windshield. Oh, and of course the big one: unlocking the car is iffy and can require a bit of patience and/or planning ahead.

All of those little complaints are offset by the fact that it is very comfortable, has massaging and cooling seats that work well, handles very well for a big sedan, has a huge backseat, has one-pedal driving that is nearly perfect and far superior to my Tesla, has power window shades, has a nice big frunk, chargers VERY fast on EA chargers, has enough range that you never have to think about it, gets attention everywhere it goes, and will blast from 25-130 mph in about 1 second (as long as wife is not in the car).

It’s a special car, with special quirks and delights.
curious if others share this issue. what is iffy about unlocking the car?

curious if others share this issue. what is iffy about unlocking the car?
With the mobile key, it can be iffy and occasionally unresponsive. The fob works 95% of the time, but rarely will fail and/or make you wait a few seconds. All of this is on 1.0.

On 2.0, mobile key has been absolutely flawless. I forgot where my fob even was until I had to find it today for my wife.

With the mobile key, it can be iffy and occasionally unresponsive. The fob works 95% of the time, but rarely will fail and/or make you wait a few seconds. All of this is on 1.0.

On 2.0, mobile key has been absolutely flawless. I forgot where my fob even was until I had to find it today for my wife.
That is great that mobile key is flawless now.

For the past week, I used mobile key, but brought fob with me in faraday bag just in case mobile key fail. So far it hasn’t failed in 1.2.21, and 2.0.2 it seems flawless. I am taking a leap next few days leave fob at home to test out.

For the past week, I used mobile key, but brought fob with me in faraday bag just in case mobile key fail. So far it hasn’t failed in 1.2.21, and 2.0.2 it seems flawless. I am taking a leap next few days leave fob at home to test out.
Carry the credit card key just in case. Good if your phone battery dies.

Carry the credit card key just in case. Good if your phone battery dies.
Oh yeah, I always have that in my wallet. I completely forgot its existence now. Why did I bother with bringing in fob in faraday pouch at first place?? 😆 getting senile….

Back