Still wavering on the fence

DeaneG

Verified Owner
Cars
Air GT, XC40 P8 EV
Referral Code
3OKY7YGA
What finally tipped your decision to buy the Air, or to look elsewhere instead?

I'm still on the fence and seem to waver back and forth: very positive on the Air on a bright sunny morning when I've possibly had too much caffeine, turning negative when I realize that the software will probably be rough for at least another year (similar to my Tesla and Volvo experience), and seeing that Lucid currently has enough cash for perhaps only a few quarters of operation.

The GT's positives for me are:
1) Range, range, range. If not the for GT, I'd probably have to rent a gas car for remote trips - ugh.
2) Nice interior.
3) Comfortable ride.

Negatives:
1) It's a very large battery sedan to be driving around. Two feet longer than handy-sized, wide and low.
2) Software is likely to be rough and incomplete for at least another year for basic stability, or two years for level 2 driving autonomy.
3) Poor integration with my family's phones - no Google Maps or Navigation or third-party Android/AAOS apps.
4) It's a big bet on a startup.

What finally tipped your decision to buy the Air, or to look elsewhere instead?

I'm still on the fence and seem to waver back and forth: very positive on the Air on a bright sunny morning when I've possibly had too much caffeine, turning negative when I realize that the software will probably be rough for at least another year (similar to my Tesla and Volvo experience), and seeing that Lucid currently has enough cash for perhaps only a few quarters of operation.

The GT's positives for me are:
1) Range, range, range. If not the for GT, I'd probably have to rent a gas car for remote trips - ugh.
2) Nice interior.
3) Comfortable ride.

Negatives:
1) It's a very large battery sedan to be driving around. Two feet longer than handy-sized, wide and low.
2) Software is likely to be rough and incomplete for at least another year for basic stability, or two years for level 2 driving autonomy.
3) Poor integration with my family's phones - no Google Maps or Navigation or third-party Android/AAOS apps.
4) It's a big bet on a startup.
How is it large? It’s a midsize sedans by comparison and measurements. Only you can decide how to spend your money.

They get more cash as they sell cars, not worried about that. You have to weigh what you think is important. For me, range, price, features and looks!!! Beat anything else out there.

If your #1 thing is software, buy a Tesla. Make a list and then compare.

I just sold my Model 3 of four years - FSD is kind of a running joke - and Tesla's software is polished, but my wife and I greatly prefer Volvo's AAOS/GAS implementation.

It’s smaller than a MS by an 2 inches in length, 2 in width and 1 in height. Coming from a M3, yea it’s definitely a larger vehicle, but it’s not that large (especially comparing to an EQS).
I thought so too, but just checked current specs and saw that the S and Air are the same length and width (with mirrors). For us they are both a bit of a land yacht - but the great 360-degree camera visualization should help in parking the Air. As for fuel injection in the 1990s, later antilock brakes, then stability control, I won't buy another car without 360-degree cameras.

I thought so too, but just checked current specs and saw that the S and Air are the same length and width (with mirrors). For us they are both a bit of a land yacht - but the great 360-degree camera visualization should help in parking the Air. As for fuel injection in the 1990s, later antilock brakes, then stability control, I won't buy another car without 360-degree cameras.
Weird, I just looked too and the MS is 197.7” and the Air is 195.5” in length, 78.2” width (without mirrors) on the MS and 76.34” on the Air (both are the same with mirrors as you mentioned) either way, they are definitely larger than the M3 😂
I can honestly say, I’ve only used the 360 camera for fun, never for parking. That’s just me, I know people love them, I just haven’t gotten used to them. This is my first vehicle with one, I will say that!

"Land yacht." I'm going to use that from now on.

I've always preferred smaller cars. I keep telling myself the Air is mostly bigger on the inside, which is true. But I do think it may take some getting used to that larger footprint as well.

How is it large? It’s a midsize sedans by comparison and measurements. Only you can decide how to spend your money.

They get more cash as they sell cars, not worried about that. You have to weigh what you think is important. For me, range, price, features and looks!!! Beat anything else out there.

Size is in the eye of the beholder. I prefer a smaller car so I think of the Lucid as large. Someone who is coming from a MB 550S or a BMW 7 series will think it is small.

Size is in the eye of the beholder. I prefer a smaller car so I think of the Lucid as large. Someone who is coming from a MB 550S or a BMW 7 series will think it is small.

I agree. I think of the Air as medium large. I ordered an i4 for my wife because she says the Air is too large for her and she wants a smaller car(her 2013 Audi S4 is about 185 inches long.

Our pint-sized, but 400hp feature-rich XC40 SUV-EV is only 174" long. The Air will be nearly two feet longer. It's a pleasure to be able to park a car without advance planning.

I am wavering still as well. I missed the mark for the lower priced Grand Touring so I am stuck at Touring. They promised Q3 production date, but we're now in "late second half of the year". IONIQ 5 Limited is very limited as well, but is actually being produced. I have reservations on both and quickly losing hope in Lucid. If an IONIQ 5 becomes available I will likely get that and cancel Lucid.

Hopefully they start confirming soon.

... If an IONIQ 5 becomes available I will likely get that and cancel Lucid.
If you do get the Ioniq 5 instead, you'll still have a great car. Think of it as a bridge if it helps - you can always keep it for 3-5 years until the industry settles out a little. Waiting can be to your advantage.

I had a Kia Soul EV for three years as a bridge between a Leaf and a Tesla Model 3. It somewhat surprised me - one of the most pleasant, easy to use daily driver car I have ever driven, and a great value for the money. This is against a field of a late-60's Firebird convertible, two Chevy SUVs, a Mercedes SUV, BMW 535i, two Lexus LS400s, two collector Ferraris, a Maserati spyder, an OG Leaf EV, Kia Soul EV, Tesla Model 3 EV, Volvo XC40 EV.

I had no real trepidations about the vehicle when I confirmed my reservation because my expectation was to get an exclusive vehicle that no one else had, one that I liked the look of, and one that could take me reliably from point A to point B. All three easy checkboxes.

I took delivery of my GT a few months ago and have had zero regrets or even semi-serious concerns. It has been a phenomenal car for me. The much-maligned software has worked nearly perfectly for me. I shaved off about 60 lbs of unsprung weight by replacing the OEM wheels and the ride quality, handling, and everything driving related went from amazing to PHENOMENAL. The car positively dances now.

Therefore, If the car stayed exactly the same as it is now for me, I would personally probably be happy driving it for the next 5-10 years. If Lucid suddenly vanishes as a company tomorrow and my GT immediately suffers irreparable failure, yeah that would suck. Some things can be controlled or predicted, some things can’t 🤷‍♂️

You can get some cars that will fulfill your criteria, but range is something that only a couple of vehicles have. I wonder if you would be open to a vehicle without the range? Do you do a lot of daily commuting or trips? How much of a deal breaker is range?

I had no real trepidations about the vehicle when I confirmed my reservation because my expectation was to get an exclusive vehicle that no one else had, one that I liked the look of, and one that could take me reliably from point A to point B. All three easy checkboxes.

I took delivery of my GT a few months ago and have had zero regrets or even semi-serious concerns. It has been a phenomenal car for me. The much-maligned software has worked nearly perfectly for me. I shaved off about 60 lbs of unsprung weight by replacing the OEM wheels and the ride quality, handling, and everything driving related went from amazing to PHENOMENAL. The car positively dances now.

Therefore, If the car stayed exactly the same as it is now for me, I would personally probably be happy driving it for the next 5-10 years. If Lucid suddenly vanishes as a company tomorrow and my GT immediately suffers irreparable failure, yeah that would suck. Some things can be controlled or predicted, some things can’t 🤷‍♂️
Pretty strong endorsement! What wheels did you find to replace the OEM's?

I am wavering still as well. I missed the mark for the lower priced Grand Touring so I am stuck at Touring. They promised Q3 production date, but we're now in "late second half of the year". IONIQ 5 Limited is very limited as well, but is actually being produced. I have reservations on both and quickly losing hope in Lucid. If an IONIQ 5 becomes available I will likely get that and cancel Lucid.

I think many of these decisions are personal, with age, financial status, etc. being more important than a forum comment from someone who may be in a vastly different situation. I don't think you "missed out" on the GT as you might think. From your perch you've seen more than most what the warts are with the brand, and the Touring may be just the right sweet spot when it comes out. Given that every manufacturer is struggling to put out cars on schedule, I'm personally feeling less worried about Lucid's issues than before.

Pretty strong endorsement! What wheels did you find to replace the OEM's?
Just my personal experience. I got HRE p101sc’s. My OEM wheels weighed in at around 38 lbs. The HRE’s came in around 23. The effects of reducing that 60 lbs of unsprung weight have been astonishing. I just did the wheel swap for cosmetic reasons and didn’t expect much else. Super pleased. Will post a separate thread with a more thorough review as don’t want to hijack this one.

Just my personal experience. I got HRE p101sc’s. My OEM wheels weighed in at around 38 lbs. The HRE’s came in around 23. The effects of reducing that 60 lbs of unsprung weight have been astonishing. I just did the wheel swap for cosmetic reasons and didn’t expect much else. Super pleased. Will post a separate thread with a more thorough review as don’t want to hijack this one.
Man, that sounds very nice - yes, please post when you can, with pics. Thanks.

That’s exactly what I did, went ahead and bought last month a Limited Ioniq 5, as a transition to either a Touring or better yet a Gravity. I’ll say more in a separate thread, but at about 60K the the Ioniq offers surprising luxury value.

That’s exactly what I did, went ahead and bought last month a Limited Ioniq 5, as a transition to either a Touring or better yet a Gravity. I’ll say more in a separate thread, but at about 60K the the Ioniq offers surprising luxury value.
I have now had my EV6 for 3 months. Love the car more and more. I rarely drive my Tesla any more and will trade it when my Touring arrives. But the EV6 is a fantastic value, even at 60K.

Back